• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dark Sorcerer and Panta Rhei PS4 demos look like CGI, will games look as good?

as good? NO

but they will use some of those special effects and post processing in games. better lighting is one that will be used with that surface scattering to make skin and objects look more realistic based on how they reflect light (ie: skin is not shiny, it's kind of matte looking IRL unless you're sweating)

The one thing that spoiled the dark sorcerer demo for me was the goblin.
It was so obvious it was a slightly modified green human face that it broke the illusion completely.

Amazing tech demo, but the goblin was really bad

I'm pretty sure he was supposed to look like that. Given the 'story' of the demo, him looking like a character with bad prosthetics is the point.

2 characters and the other one duplicated :)

Not sure what you're trying to convey with that comment, or if you're joking. Judging by the comments in this thread, folks are seemingly grasping at straws in an attempt to downplay this tech demo. it's also obvious you didn't watch the video either.

There were 3 distinct characters: The Sorcerer, the Goblin, and Satan. QD took it one step further by spawning in 7-10 additional goblins (all with different animations). Duplication or not, it requires resources to render and animate all the characters on screen in addition to the particle effects, lighting, etc. This tech demo was meant to show off what PS4 is capable of rendering very early in it's life cycle, which technically doesn't begin until holiday 2013.

The one thing that spoiled the dark sorcerer demo for me was the goblin.
It was so obvious it was a slightly modified green human face that it broke the illusion completely.

Amazing tech demo, but the goblin was really bad

I think they both looked like photographs stretched around a model head. Very awkward and unsettling. I find it strange that they had Quantic Dream do the tech demo when Heavy Rain was technically terrible.

I think they both looked like photographs stretched around a model head. Very awkward and unsettling. I find it strange that they had Quantic Dream do the tech demo when Heavy Rain was technically terrible.
What? Quantic Dream is probably the most technically competent partner Sony has next to Naughty Dog and Santa Monica. In terms of performance capture arguably the best.
Their R&D team is huge. Heavy Rain looked pretty good for 2010 and Beyond looks just as good as God of War and The Last of Us. I think Naughty Dog definitely has the better art direction, so their games look more appealing, but tech wise Quantic Dream can easily compete.

Also QD always do tech demos before starting with their next project. It wasn't specifically ordered by Sony. The difference with them is, that their games actually look just as good or even better then the respective tech demo. This maybe means the tech demo is not always that impressive compared to other tech demos, but you actually know this is what you will get with their next game. That's why Sony probably feels confident in showing it.

And just speaking from my personal opinion, this is the most impressive rendering of humans in a game yet. The devil absolutely crossed the uncanny valley for me.
Sorry if you don't feel that way, but calling this hugely talented team technically terrible is just wrong.

^ Heavy Rain ran like shit though. The tearing and framerate were atrocious, and the game didn't look particularly impressive. That's what I'm talking about. There's no point in making a game look great if you can't get it running at an acceptable level.

^ Heavy Rain ran like shit though. The tearing and framerate were atrocious, and the game didn't look particularly impressive. That's what I'm talking about. There's no point in making a game look great if you can't get it running at an acceptable level.
From what I have seen Beyond runs pretty smooth at 30 FPS most of the time. The Last of Us also dropped down to 20 FPS at some points, so Beyond will probably have its low points too, but it is definitely more optimized than Heavy Rain was. Heavy Rain used a crazy amount of AA, they use a more performance optimized version now in Beyond, which should improve the framerate.

And while the tearing is unfortunate, I'm pretty sure Sony made a case that no PS4 game will have tearing anymore. So they will probably use vsync or triple buffering to get rid of it on PS4. The realtime demo they showed at their booth had no tearing as well.

HeelPower

Beyond WON'T look like this running on actual console...and we all know it...

iHPSqU839KOvt.gif

Varodor

Banned
add here infamous second son http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uibnf_Q_51s
this open world game
Some screens:
Code:
[IMG]http://gematsu.com/gallery/albums/infamous-second-son/june-10-2013/inFAMOUS-Second-Son_2013_06-10-13_006.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://gematsu.com/gallery/albums/infamous-second-son/june-10-2013/inFAMOUS-Second-Son_2013_06-10-13_002.jpg[/IMG]

Wiktor

Quantic Dreams tech demos are always way beyond what the actual games are..so my guess would be - no.

We might get close by the end of the gen though.

DrNeroCF

Was anyone actually every impressed with the Casting demo? The animation was just awful (the voice acting doesn't help much either).

Heavy Rain's animation is a little better, Beyond is at least competent. I'd say that the Dark Sorcerer is getting there, but it's still not perfect, and it still can't touch animation done / retouched by hand.

Was anyone actually every impressed with the Casting demo? The animation was just awful (the voice acting doesn't help much either).

Heavy Rain's animation is a little better, Beyond is at least competent. I'd say that the Dark Sorcerer is getting there, but it's still not perfect, and it still can't touch animation done / retouched by hand.
Amazingly yes, The Casting was impressive at that time. Looking back now, those horse teeth are absolutely frightening.

Where are the shots from in the OP? The videos I've seen of TDS show far more aliasing than that, even in 1080p.

Have to admit, I've been far more impressed by footage from Infamous: SS and Killzone: SF than TDS demo. TDS is an enclosed space with no draw distance to worry about, no gameplay, no physics, no AI, etc etc. Yes, it's simply a tech demo. But just not one that blew me away unlike everyone else here it seems.

Where are the shots from in the OP? The videos I've seen of TDS show far more aliasing than that, even in 1080p.

Have to admit, I've been far more impressed by footage from Infamous: SS and Killzone: SF than TDS demo. TDS is an enclosed space with no draw distance to worry about, no gameplay, no physics, no AI, etc etc. Yes, it's simply a tech demo. But just not one that blew me away unlike everyone else here it seems.
Me personally, I don't care how it was achieved; if something looks good, that's the bottom line. TDS looks great, and so does a lot of other next gen stuff. I'm more excited about the potential for games this gen.

Vespene

The thing about these QD games is they don't run much else other than visuals (no physics, AI, animation sets) so everything goes towards graphical output. While impressive on a first take, there's really no point to these fancy real time cinematics other tan glorified tech demoing. Think about it. The majority of the cinematics in The Last of Us are pre-rendered using the games engine (though they do cheat here and there). This is so they can load environments while the movie is playing and show you things in the cinematics that there wouldn't be enough RAM to show otherwise. Most people don't realize they're watching pre-rendered though because its compressed perfectly on Blu-Ray.

Ce-Lin

Heavy Rain ran like shit though. The tearing and framerate were atrocious, and the game didn't look particularly impressive. That's what I'm talking about. There's no point in making a game look great if you can't get it running at an acceptable level.

this is simply not true, there's only a bit of tearing in a particular scene early in the game, I don't know why people make up stuff like this so happily.

Was anyone actually every impressed with the Casting demo?
I was pretty impressed by it in 2006 yeah. Looked creepy and definitely uncanny valley, but was also impressive to me.

I think those are bullshots. Direct feed still looks fantastic. Also there is a lot going on with physics (clothing, hair, particles). Nothing is pre-baked.

Again, people are mostly excited because of QD's track record. Look at the Kara tech demo, enclosed space with no draw distance to worry about. Yet Beyond has pretty big and open ended areas and at the same time still looks better than the Kara demo in every possible way.

That's why people are excited. Quantic Dream can pull this tech demo off in bigger areas as well, they always have.

The thing about these QD games is they don't run much else other than visuals (no physics, AI, animation sets) so everything goes towards graphical output. While impressive on a first take, there's really no point to these fancy real time cinematics other tan glorified tech demoing. Think about it. The majority of the cinematics in The Last of Us are pre-rendered using the games engine (though they do cheat here and there). This is so they can load environments while the movie is playing and show you things in the cinematics that there wouldn't be enough RAM to show otherwise. Most people don't realize they're watching pre-rendered though because its compressed perfectly on Blu-Ray.
There are a lot of physics in this demo (hair, clothing, particles). Nothing is pre-baked. Also history has proven again and again that Naughty Dog's and Santa Monica's ingame graphics are easily on-par with the respective Quantic Dream tech demo. They're not glorified tech demos, they are an actual indicator what we will see from games this generation graphics wise. You're in for a surprise if you think this tech demo maxes out the PS4 hardware. Not even close.

Kyon

Banned

And none of what you said really matters because QD and especially ND and SSM have already surpassed the casting and Kara last gen and will surpass this tech demo next gen.
Idk why people still doubt them smh

Top Bottom