• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dark Souls II Lore Thread of speculations, spoilers and headaches

sentry65

This is likely given it's underground, and in the same sort of style as Shrine of Amana (which also doesn't seem to be there). Not to mention the implication it's not even in Drangliec in the first place.

Next time I play I want to take a closer look at the backgrounds of Huntman's Copse to see if a crossover with Shadow Woods can be noticed in any way...

It could also be the Shaded Ruins, especially if the Copse is on some sort of elevation and the Shaded Woods are down below or something.

ah, ok, maybe like this then:
MHOQJmh.jpg

sentry65

The exactly like the map I was going to make except with the boat being a pictograph for no man's wharf.

Yeah that's what I was thinking about too. I mean, why else would the anchor be there?
It just doesn't quite make sense to me where they've place Last Bastile. Seems like it and No Man's Wharf should be flipped. The distance between the tower of flame and No man's Wharf seems extreme and the backtracking back to last bastile seems odd
e1O8KfL.jpg

Mistel

Banned
Again, that's obviously a decoration, like the little boat at the top or the sea serpent below. Its placement makes no sense.
Did you not see my reasoning or did you gloss over that in an earlier reply? The little boat in the top is far further out from the land anyway so that's rightfully a direction.

Yeah that's what I was thinking about too. I mean, why else would the anchor be there?
Exactly if it was a decoration you wouldn't place it like that on the map at all next to a perfect natural harbor?

It just doesn't quite make sense to me where they've place Last Bastile. Seems like it and No Man's Wharf should be flipped. The distance between the tower of flame and No man's Wharf seems extreme and the backtracking back to last bastile seems odd
Scale of the map is really not within the same scale of the game itself so that's the only thing I've got for that but it does seem like it's a far walk.

sentry65

Scale of the map is really not within the same scale of the game itself so that's the only thing I've got for that but it does seem like it's a far walk.

Yeah, the scale for sure is off. That's just a lot of underground tunnelling that'd have to go between the tower of flame and the anchor.

I'm not sure I agree or disagree other than yeah, the scale is way off.

The map obviously doesn't reflect exactly what the developers ended up making.

I think the middle is the shaded woods and the highlight on the map is the shrine of winter. Huntsmans copes is right next to majula. Things betwixt is the skull with the bridge.

sentry65

I think the middle is the shaded woods and the highlight on the map is the shrine of winter. Huntsmans copes is right next to majula. Things betwixt is the skull with the bridge.

hmm that actually does make sense

I keep forgetting about shrine of winter. That building looks like it could be the one on the map.

I was thinking the undead purgatory was right on top of huntsman copse, and not really a huge trek across the land, but it had that large (but not that huge) bridge

sentry65

So maybe something like this:
jQTOMWJ.jpg

I'm kinda thinking No Man's Wharf might be directly to the right of Heide's Tower, then you go by sea to last Bastille

Mistel

Banned
I think it's safe to say that this map was either done based off of a concept piece or doesn't actually match the game at all... I mean it looks nothing like the mansion one unless I'm not finding the right orientation for it.

Has anyone figure out what praying at the burning brazier in the Shrine of Amana next to the Milfanito does?

Edit: the wiki has this to say - Praying here as a hollow, if you have exhausted all of your Human Effigies, will restore you to human form.

So that's pretty cool.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
I cleaned up the map a little and made some minor adjustments:
mXwldwQ.jpg

I disagree where you put TB and Shrine of Winter, that location being Undead Purgatory and Huntsman Copse just makes way more sense because of the bridge and the Skull. There are like only 2 bridges in the game that matches the one in the map, one in HC and the other in Dragon Aerie. I can't wait for PC version to arrive so we can have a closer look on how the areas are connected in DS2.

sentry65

I disagree where you put TB and Shrine of Winter, that location being Undead Purgatory and Huntsman Copse just makes way more sense because of the bridge and the Skull. There are like only 2 bridges in the game that matches the one in the map, one in HC and the other in Dragon Aerie.

Yeah, but Huntsman Copse is right next to Majula in the game. You can choose to go to Heide's Flame Tower or Huntsman Copse at that fork. Having Huntsman Copse so far out of the way seems odd.

I think the skull represents you dying in your original world and coming into Things Betwixt. You in fact do cross a bridge to the firekeepers' house. It also might symbolize a bridge to 'the other side' after dying.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Yeah, but Huntsman Copse is right next to majula. You can choose to go to Heide's Flame Tower or Huntsman Copse at that fork. Having Huntsman Copse so far out of the way seems odd.

I think the skull represents you dying in your original world and coming into Things Betwixt. You in fact do cross a bridge to the firekeepers' house. It also might symbolize a bridge to 'the other side' after dying.

This map is so inaccurate that i can't help but to think it was created very early in the game's development with only the main areas highlighted, FROM probably didn't even began to work on the connecting areas at the time.

sentry65

This map is so inaccurate that i can't help but to think it was created very early in the game's development with only the main areas highlighted, FROM probably didn't even began to work on the connecting areas at the time.

I think some of the distances are compressed or elongated, but I think the relative positions of things are in the ballpark. Kinda like the maps of old before modern technology.

But yeah, I think the realities of level design changed things slightly as they were worked on

demidar

The skull-bridge-house in the woods represents Undead Purgatory, the long bridge lead-up and the chapel-house thing right below it.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
(just rambling here and I don't know if it'll make sense to anyone)

I thought the plot was pretty underwhelming this time. In Dark Souls and Demon's, you feel like there's something sinister in the air, a foreboding atmosphere and the world is in complete and utter chaos.

DS2's world felt like the beginning of a new-cycle or rather the very end? There was nothing much going on and everyone was..settled?

my favourite parts of DS2's story/world were pretty far-fetched theories on reddit :lol

sentry65

The skull-bridge-house in the woods represents Undead Purgatory, the long bridge lead-up and the chapel-house thing right below it.

I thought that too at first, but if that's true then what's the forest area right next to majula? I know the scale of the map isn't perfect, but I don't think Huntsman's Copse covers nearly half of the world map. Also, notice that the map has 2 names covering those areas. They can't both be Huntsman's Copse. Nothing else makes sense for labeling that forest area right next to majula.

That house in Huntsman's Copse is like the first thing you come across there, it's not a million miles into Huntsman's Copse.

Shrine of Winter meanwhile is a landmark that you need the king's ring for.

demidar

I thought that too at first, but if that's true then what's the forest area right next to majula? I know the scale of the map isn't perfect, but I don't think Huntsman's Copse covers nearly half of the world map. Also, notice that the map has 2 names covering those areas. They can't both be Huntsman's Copse. Nothing else makes sense for labeling that forest area right next to majula.

That house in Huntsman's Copse is like the first thing you come across there, it's not a million miles into Huntsman's Copse.

Shrine of Winter meanwhile is a landmark that you need the king's ring for.

There are two answers. One, that map really is that bad (or deceptive); or two, the in-game layout of the world was changed after the map was created. The map is accurate for about 80% of the areas.

I also think Things Betwixt is not on the map, much like any completely underground area is not on the map.

sentry65

Things Betwixt has a bridge before the firekeepers:
HOzh2YU.png

Things Betwixt also mimics the exact shape as originally drawn on the map that I highlighted in pink:
ZiFE37f.jpg

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm not sure why you need to distinguish Brightstone Cove Tseldora and "Brightstone Cove Tseldora town area"? What is the town area? Do you mean the place with the sand pit and Ornifex...?
You have the camp, then the chapel in which you fight the congregation (the chapel drawing on the map), but the area with the sand pit and the spiders is kind of directly below it, no?

sentry65

I'm not sure why you need to distinguish Brightstone Cove Tseldora and "Brightstone Cove Tseldora town area"? What is the town area? Do you mean the place with the sand pit and Ornifex...?
You have the camp, then the chapel in which you fight the congregation (the chapel drawing on the map), but the area with the sand pit and the spiders is kind of directly below it, no?

Yeah, it starts below it, but then it moves further away so I figured it must be somewhere in that area. I was just trying to distinguish the areas so it made sense how to draw a path to it. The flame lights up there in Cale's map room too.

Leezard

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
By the way, for those who wondered about verifying the map with the flames in the mansion basement... according to the Wiki, the only flames that light up are for: Last Giant, Lost Sinner, the Rotten, Old Iron King, Freja, and Nashandra. Since we have no debate on where to place their respective areas, it's not of much help to solve this map, hah. But just out of curiosity I did check and found a camera angle that more or less matched the map, and it fit accordingly.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Similarly, she says that the Ancient Dragon is a prop "that offers nothing". Which to me it says that Nashandra made her way somehow (maybe before Aldia's Keep was sealed behind the King's Door) to the AD, and the AD did not give her the Ashen Mist Heart. But she did not try to kill the Dragon for it, cause the Dragon would wtfpwn her. Then again she probably does not even know the Ashen Mist Heart exists. edit: oh wait

When talking while the Ashen Mist Heart is in inventory
Seek the forest, you, where those wretched Giants slumber.

She prolly knows of the AMH, just didn't know where it is, or that the dragon had it, or was denied it by the AD

How do you get this extra dialogue from nashandra?

Mistel

Banned
Since we have no debate on where to place their respective areas, it's not of much help to solve this map, hah. But just out of curiosity I did check and found a camera angle that more or less matched the map, and it fit accordingly.
Have you got a picture? I couldn't get it to match the Majula map at all.

I'd like to know more about Pharros and how far his travels really went. There's a Pharros contraption all the way up in the Dragon Shrine but I'm assuming he died or left Drangleic (if that's even possible?) years and years ago due to there being Pharros contraptions in the Giant memories.

ElFly

How do you get this extra dialogue from nashandra?

There is a transcript in wikidot, which underlines the dialog that was actually used in the game.

There's also a youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G366YGCVdo

I feel unused dialog is borderline on whether it should be used for discussions, but turns out Nashandra actually talks about going see the giants.

edit: re: maps

Sentry's Map makes the most sense, even if we don't all agree that Things Betwixt is there; for one, TB is underground and I doubt it was gonna be represented on a map.

Only thing I see wrong is that Sentry marked Belfry LUNA on Iron Keep when it should be Sol.

e2: it is possible that the anchor and sunken boat represent the wharf that is under the Bastille, and not the no man's wharf.

sentry65

oops, fixed Belfry luna and Sol

Also, I was wrong where undead purgatory was. It branches in the opposite direction from the path the Harvest Valley. I've been looking at the strategy guide maps and made some adjustments:
J0QZX9T.jpg

sentry65

^ Are those curvy paths based on your in-game trekking through the areas?

Roughly, yes. I'm sure they're not perfect. Some of the paths are based on my memory, others are based on the maps in the strategy guide. So these are just an approximation. Some of us are still debating the basic locations, so it might all be completely wrong.

Probably the best thing to do would be to scan all the maps from the guide and overlay them across the map, but that's way too much effort for me. I think there is a certain amount of artistic liberty that was taken with the map anyway and design changes that might have occurred midway through production.

Finalow

RavenH2

Edit2: Couldn't find a single piece of evidence that didn't tell me that I've played this fights doing coop too many times and my mind got mixed up.... carry on as usual...

Okey, I don't know if it has been mentioned, but there are two different animations for when Nashandra enters the room after you defeat the Throne Defender and Throne Watcher.

In both she comes from the fog and touches her Scythe in an upwards movement, but there is subtle change when she says "Now become one with the dark".

In the most common animation she puts the Scythe to one side and raises one hand as if reading for battle.

In the other, more rare animation, she raises both hands upward to a small white light that lingers over her...

Anyone knows why? Actions of the player? NG+ difference?

Don't know if this has been discussed, or if this belongs in the OT, but something tells me (I haven't finish NG yet, only those two fights left) it has to do with NG+ where the "old souls" appear

Edit1: Has this already been discussed and I'm RLTTP?

ElFly

Okey, I don't know if it has been mentioned, but there are two different animations for when Nashandra enters the room after you defeat the Throne Defender and Throne Watcher.

In both she comes from the fog and touches her Scythe in an upwards movement, but there is subtle change when she says "Now become one with the dark".

In the most common animation she puts the Scythe to one side and raises one hand as if reading for battle.

In the other, more rare animation, she raises both hands upward to a small white light that lingers over her...

Anyone knows why? Actions of the player? NG+ difference?

Don't know if this has been discussed, or if this belongs in the OT, but something tells me (I haven't finish NG yet, only those two fights left) it has to do with NG+ where the "old souls" appear

Edit: Has this already been discussed and I'm RLTTP?

We haven't heard of the little light.

Do you have a youtube video?

Do notice that there are two different animations for Nashandra's boss form introduction, depending on whether you fought already the throne watcher/defender, or you are doing both bosses in a row.

If you have the giant kinship when you fight the throne duo for the first time, you see Nashandra coming from the door you entered through.

If you fought the throne pair before having the giant kinship, you have to go and get it, and then when you enter the room, Nashandra is already there.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=KzALJ7wVkYM#t=3820

dunno if it has any significance? if you have ideas about it, we will hear them

she does the rising hands thingy if she is already in the room

RavenH2

We haven't heard of the little light.

Do you have a youtube video?

Do notice that there are two different animations for Nashandra's boss form introduction, depending on whether you fought already the throne watcher/defender, or you are doing both bosses in a row.

If you have the giant kinship when you fight the throne duo for the first time, you see Nashandra coming from the door you entered through.

If you fought the throne pair before having the giant kinship, you have to go and get it, and then when you enter the room, Nashandra is already there.

I don't have youtube video. I'm gathering sunlight medals in that fight. And there are two different animations when she walks into the room after defeating the Throne D/W. Then there's the other animation when you just fight her...

It's a very subtle difference but it's there... again, it's not very often and most of the time the worldmasters fastfoward the animation, hence it's difficult to spot...

I'll be ready to shoot a video if I catch it...

Okey, here's a video with the white light above her (not mine):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf_k41PReXk

Still looking for the other... I may be mistaken, but I've seen at least 40 times between today and yesterday... and every now and then something felt off...

ElFly

I posted a video in my edit!

I dunno why the difference, honestly, it's weird.

e: wait, you are saying that there are two animations when she walks into the room? that's new.

RavenH2

All the videos I found have Nashandra raising her hands... I think it just my mind that went haywire and mixed the two animations into a third one...

sorry for taking your time...

Back to lore discussion

MrJTeera

I think Drangleic is not another continent but more like an alternate universe of Lordran or the real Dark Souls universe, like the Painted World.

We got Ornifex, the Old Dragonslayer, and other characters that fit the DaS1 characters' archetypes (Patches=Pate) And how you enter the world from the water reflection.

So basically, we're stuck in an inescapable alternate dimension where all you can do is retracing the story of the old legend (DaS)

ElFly

I think Drangleic is not another continent but more like an alternate universe of Lordran or the real Dark Souls universe, like the Painted World.

We got Ornifex, the Old Dragonslayer, and other characters that fit the DaS1 characters' archetypes (Patches=Pate) And how you enter the world from the water reflection.

So basically, we're stuck in an inescapable alternate dimension where all you can do is retracing the story of the old legend (DaS)

If you watch the intro, you will see that the reflected archway the character goes through to find the whirpool has a door in it. Only in the water reflection.

So yeah, along with the "in a walled off land" comment from the firekeeper, it shows that Drangleic is somewhere else.

My opinion is that Drangleic was sealed off into the water reflection to contain the curse.

Top Bottom