• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The *Definitive* PSP RPGs for Vita Thread

Einbroch

Banned
Was tired last night and went to my room to sleep at around midnight.

Ended up playing Tactics Ogre until 2:30AM. So good. Trajectory and positioning seem more important in this than in FFT.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
As for Newsom, I'm going to see her live twice in two weeks, and I saw someone else with her avatar earlier, I couldn't help myself, even if Person of Interest is entertaining.
Ha, yep. I still always read everything you write in Ben's voice though.

Every PSP/PSVita owner should have Persona 3 Portable. One of the best RPG ever imho.

Plus with P4 The Golden that will hopefully release soon on PSV, it should get you right in the mood.

Lain

I re-bought Valhalla Knights, since I loved it on PSP and I'm OK with replaying it on Vita (and it's cheap enough), but at the char creation I couldn't choose to switch to a female character. That's really weird, since I didn't have that happen with my physical copy...

Too bad the only VK2 I see on the Italy Store is the normal one, not Battle Stance. I would have bought Battle Stance but no way am I re-buying VK2 normal, I hated it.

stalker

Very nice thread, thanks! I will use it as another PSP RPG summary thread.

It's a shame that the PSN prices are insane though. Most of those games are easily found a lot cheaper on UMD media.

cj_iwakura

Can someone recommend a quality RPG with a relatively simple battle system, I'm not looking for a challenge, just a good story

Crimson Gem Saga has a simple system, pretty good plot so far.

Dungeons are a pain though.

I'd say Trails, but it's damn long. For streamlined, I'd say Half Minute Hero or Ys 1 & 2/Origins.

Dueck

Banned
I'd totally forgotten that Lunar was reissued on PSP a while back, having not owned one for so long. I think I intentionally repressed remembering because I couldn't have it. Lunar being my favorite JRPG ever, I downloaded it day one onto my Vita. It felt like the first sip of a cold beer after a hot summer day.

Grimmy

Banned
Very nice thread, thanks! I will use it as another PSP RPG summary thread.

It's a shame that the PSN prices are insane though. Most of those games are easily found a lot cheaper on UMD media.

Really? Seems to me a large % of the games are pretty reasonably priced to me:

The 3rd Birthday $19.99
Cladun: This is an RPG $9.99 at Gamestop.com
Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness $9.99 at Gamestop.com
Disgaea 2: Dark Hero Days $14.99 at Gamestop.com
Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions $9.99
Half-Minute Hero $9.99
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky $19.99
Lunar: Silver Star Harmony $14.99
Patapon 3 $19.99
Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords $9.99
Riviera: The Promised Land $14.99
R-Type Command $14.99
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together $19.99
Valkyria Chronicles II (Bundled Pack) $22.99
Wild Arms XF $9.99
Yggdra Union $14.99
Ys Seven $14.99
Ys: The Oath in Felghana $14.99
Ys I & II Chronicles $14.99

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Can someone recommend a quality RPG with a relatively simple battle system, I'm not looking for a challenge, just a good story

Too bad Valkyrie Profile never went to PSN, the story was pretty good...

fwiw they work with remote play. I've been playing FFT with remote and it looks pretty good. of course it will look even better with direct support

Woah really? Thanks for this bit of info. Seeing as won't ever be taking my Vita anywhere but my home this is pretty useful. Had no idea I could play PS1 games via remote-play.

Man, this thread is seriously guilt tripping me on Trails in the Sky. Still haven't played it beyond the first couple of hours. I did just double dip on it the day I got the Vita and am liking how much clearer/bigger everything looks. As a pretty big Falcom fan I really should get on this one soon.

Edit: Nevermind, remote play looks pretty awful on the PS1 games I tried.

Shadybiz

Well, since I didn't want an ax to the dome, I went and downloaded Trails in the Sky. It's been a long time since I played an RPG, but I must say that after about an hour and a half or so, I am quite pleased! I'll probably check out Tactics Ogre eventually as well.

Lain

Really? Seems to me a large % of the games are pretty reasonably priced to me:

The 3rd Birthday $19.99
Cladun: This is an RPG $9.99 at Gamestop.com
Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness $9.99 at Gamestop.com
Disgaea 2: Dark Hero Days $14.99 at Gamestop.com
Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions $9.99
Half-Minute Hero $9.99
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky $19.99
Lunar: Silver Star Harmony $14.99
Patapon 3 $19.99
Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords $9.99
Riviera: The Promised Land $14.99
R-Type Command $14.99
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together $19.99
Valkyria Chronicles II (Bundled Pack) $22.99
Wild Arms XF $9.99
Yggdra Union $14.99
Ys Seven $14.99
Ys: The Oath in Felghana $14.99
Ys I & II Chronicles $14.99

If you're American sure, there is a good selection at 9,99$ and even if I don't like the 14,99+ price tag for old stuff, it's still "cheap".
As an European though, most of them look unreasonably priced to me when I see stuff still at 29,99-34,99€, personally. Even the 19,99€ and 14,99€ is pushing it for me for old stuff, but then again that's because I already own the physical copies and I do need them to be really cheap to go and re-buy something.

Durask

One word of warning (I'd never played Ys games before): expect significant spikes in difficulty when you encounter a boss. I was breezing through levels, only to tear out my hair at the bosses.

With Ys 7 you _have_ to learn how to block if you want to finish that game.

I don't think it is possible to beat the last boss without blocking, at least not for a regular human like me :)

Durask

]I can confirm Wild Arms XF is tough as nails.

And not in a fair way. In the 'AI hates you' and BS mission objectives way.

Still a great game, in VERY small doses.

It's been a while, I played about 3/4 throught and kinda lost interest.

It is very rock paper scissors and you have to use right classes for each scenario and often there is only one "right way" for a particular scenario.

I plan eventually to go back and finish it, however right now I finally managed to get my PS2 emulator running and trying to finish my PS2 back log. PS2 games look hideously bad on any modern HDTV, however when you play them on PCSX2 with 4x AA they become bearable. :) :) :)

LaneDS

Apologies if it was answered already, but can anyone comment on if the slowdown in FFT is any better when played on the Vita? That's the only thing keeping me from picking it up (that and just buying Tactics Ogre, which I've never played and so far think is incredible). For $10 though, might just buy it to have it. The iOS one disappointed me quite a bit from a control standpoint (imagine that).

So far I've also picked up Valkyria Chronicles II (+DLC) and plan to get Half Minute Hero and Castlevania. Lots of other great stuff but as it stands now I have way more stuff than I have time for, so I'm cutting myself off shortly.

Midou

Every PSP/PSVita owner should have Persona 3 Portable. One of the best RPG ever imho.

Plus with P4 The Golden that will hopefully release soon on PSV, it should get you right in the mood.

I've always kind of been harshly against menu-based towns and areas. It makes me feel like the game is incomplete. Not on purpose, but kind of a subconscious reaction. I think I would rather play FES if I wanted to go through P3 again. Even with it's non-party control.

tearsofash

Picked up Corpse Party, if only for the fact to support 'adventure' titles in the West.

I was really on the fence about 3rd Birthday and one of the Ys games but I didn't know how well they played. Is 3rd Birthday really that good?

ArchAngel

Just wanted to buy Ys Seven, but it does not show up in the Vita store. Looked for it on the PS3, but the text says "only for PSP" (german PSN). Can I really play it on my Vita?

britt0n

Neo Member
Im interested in getting into a SRPG, and i see that there are many options on this list. I've never played a SRPG before but i traditionally love jrpgs. If you had to recommend between Tactics Ogre, FFTactics, and Disgaea AOD, which would you say i start with? which has the easiest barrier of entry?

Famassu

Im interested in getting into a SRPG, and i see that there are many options on this list. I've never played a SRPG before but i traditionally love jrpgs. If you had to recommend between Tactics Ogre, FFTactics, and Disgaea AOD, which would you say i start with? which has the easiest barrier of entry?
Disgaea is probably the easiest, then FFT and Tactics Ogre is probably the hardest to get into if you've never played SRPGs.

TheExodu5

Banned
Disgaea is the easiest game, but has the most complex systems. It's really a grind focused RPG more than a strategy RPG. If you really like grinding, get Disgaea. Otherwise, get one of the other two.

sfedai0

Banned
Bought Tactics Ogre yesterday. If you loved FFT, you will feel right at home with this game. Loving it except for the folksy dialogue.

Flunkie

Banned
I've always wanted to "get into" Persona games, but not at that price.

Thinking about rebuying MHFU and trying 3rd Birthday at those prices. I hope we start getting PS+ discounts for PSP and Vita games too.

Gunpriest

Neo Member
Awesome thread, thanks! Just bought and installed Jeanne d'Arc. Never played it on PSP. I am going to get a few others over the next months, like Ys Seven, 3rd Birthday, Trail in the Sky and Wild Arms XF. Going to pass on Disgaea and Tactics Ogre though, but 10 bucks for FFT... even if i play it only for a couple of hours, it's worth the price.

Durask

Valkyria Chronicles 2 is essentially a SRPG

Kazzy

I'd love to stockpile a lot of these RPG's in anticipation for my Vita purchase, but those that interest me seem to be a lot more expensive than their physical counterparts. Which is a shame, I would like to hit the ground running with Dat library...

Bought Dissidia 012, and now it's by far my most played game on my Vita. Written it off before, since i thought it would be more like Street Fighter or something, but I'm glad i bought it off of a whim. This should hold me over until Disgaea comes out

Quick question: should i pick up Persona 3 if I've never played any of the other games, or should i start somewhere else?

xxczx

Quick question: should i pick up Persona 3 if I've never played any of the other games, or should i start somewhere else?
You can just go straight into it! If you do feel like picking up 1 or 2 instead, look at some videos before you decide since they are pretty different from 3 & 4.

cj_iwakura

is there a definitive RPG thread for ps3?? i did a search but nothing came up. i'm looking for some good rpgs..

Not to my knowledge(though I know most of the good ones).

Exclusives? Demon's Souls, Disgaea 3 & 4, and Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls would top my list.

NIS America published a bunch, but most of them are mediocre at best.

The only ones that stand out as being better are the Atelier games and maybe Tonelico III.

Gust have a good pedigree. Idea Factory, not so much.

I think it's the best game in the series to start with.

You can just go straight into it! If you do feel like picking up 1 or 2 instead, look at some videos before you decide since they are pretty different from 3 & 4.
Alright, appreciate it! Was worried that the story carried over, but I guess I'll just jump into 3 first

Edit: holy shit, $40??? Did this game come out this year or something

Top Bottom