• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The *Definitive* PSP RPGs for Vita Thread

I bought Ys: The Oath in Felghana thanks to this thread.

Now I have a solid RPG to enjoy on my Vita while I wait for dedicated Vita RPGs.

If you are after jrpgs, I'd recommend you pick up a 3ds instead for now. You can pick up a lot of really great jrpgs for cheap on amazon for ds.

And let's face it, 3ds will have a stronger jrpg lineup than vita ;(

Pick up a 3ds and a psp 3k would a better bet IMO.
I don't think this is the time or place for that discussion.

turnbuckle

If you are after jrpgs, I'd recommend you pick up a 3ds instead for now. You can pick up a lot of really great jrpgs for cheap on amazon for ds.

Btw, is tales of eternia out on Euro psn? Probably my most played jrpg on the system.

This thread is a list of PSP RPGs compatible with the Vita. Your post doesn't belong here.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

Now I have a solid RPG to enjoy on my Vita while I wait for dedicated Vita RPGs.

I would be tripple dipping on this as I have it on PC, PSP UMD, and I can spare the 15 for it on PSN but am doing my best to hold off on it going a little cheaper if possible. I just bought War of the Lions last night as 10 is easy to swallow for a solid game with minor flaws (slowdown ><).

Zolf

Blah, I'd love to play VC2, Ogre Tactics, and P3P on Vita but I have them on UMD already. I guess I could pick up 3rd Birthday or Trails In the Sky, those look interesting...

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Just started up P3P.

Bilinear filtering works great on it.
I personally can't stand filtering, every game I've tried looks better left alone and in pixelly glory.

Btw, is tales of eternia out on Euro psn? Probably my most played jrpg on the system.

This is for people who already have Vitas, no clue why you think posting they should get a 3DS is on topic. I'm sure there's a place for your recommendation elsewhere.

Lain

I personally can't stand filtering, every game I've tried looks better left alone and in pixelly glory.

I feel PSP2 looks better with the filtering, personally, while stuff like Corpse Party is better off without because the filtering makes it look... muddier to me.

I wanna recommend Crimson Gem Saga. It's a pretty fun, simple JRPG. I really enjoyed playing through it last summer.

I didn't pay $30 for it though, Atlus needs to get on that and drop the price to a much more reasonable level.

The PSP is really JRPG heaven. So, so awesome.

FYI: All Vita owners must own Trails in the Sky or your system will explode by year's end. You've been warned.

boingball

Awesome thread. Good too see, that people are buying some of those great PSP RPGs. I do own most of them already on my PSP (most as UMDs).

FYI: All Vita owners must own Trails in the Sky or your system will explode by year's end. You've been warned.

Lol.
I agree with the sentiment though.

And I do hope we see a TitS 2 announcement soon if people buy TitS.

And perhaps Sega brings Valkyra Chronicles 3 to the west.

Lain

When the game is at 9,99€ at most I'll think about it. 34,99€ is way too much.
I already own the LE.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The prices on all the Atlus games are criminally high right now, I guess they're waiting for the first weeks of Vita owners to buy before they have their regular sale...

The prices on all the Atlus games are criminally high right now, I guess they're waiting for the first weeks of Vita owners to buy before they have their regular sale...

I actually Tweeted them asking about a sale. No response.

BTW, 3rd Birthday looks fucking godly on the Vita screen and now with the camera mapped to right stick it feels like a totally new game. So happy. I cant tell what bi-filtering does though as I cant really tell the difference.

I wonder if I should try Monster Hunter again and see if its more playable. Or maybe God Eater cuz that actually has a story.

Also, I owned Tits before and couldnt get into it, should i really try again. How much more improved does it look on Vita screen? For reference I think I played maybe a total of 2 hours in Trails.

xxczx

Also, I owned Tits before and couldnt get into it, should i really try again. How much more improved does it look on Vita screen? For reference I think I played maybe a total of 2 hours in Trails.
That's why you couldn't get into it, you didn't give it chance :p

daoster

Man...replaying Valkyria Chronicles 2 on the Vita is soooo good. I know there will be an annoying grind later on for materials, but I still love this game..screw the haters!

I really hope/pray that Sega will bring VC3 over here in the states...or at least allow another company to bring it over (Atlus, Xseed, or Aksys). Stranger things have happened (Growlanser IV for PSP getting released over here??)

Also, I want the Suikoden game for the PSP over here too :(

Verelios

And perhaps Sega brings Valkyra Chronicles 3 to the west.

I seem to remember Sega going "Hah, no." when asked about any localization possibilities. And when it was broached just last year, I seem to remember their response being "Impossible to the power of no". Yeah, Sega.

kuroshiki

I seem to remember Sega going "Hah, no." when asked about any localization possibilities. And when it was broached just last year, I seem to remember their response being "Impossible to the power of no". Yeah, Sega.

Just make it as vita only, adding some self shadow or something. Shouldn't be that hard. Heck, just make everything native resolution of vita without adding anything and I will bite.

daoster

I seem to remember they slightly backtracked on it. It's probably still a resounding "no," but they left a little wiggle room just to give people hope (only to crush them over and over).

LiquidMetal14

And can you believe that Type-0 is running on the same engine and SE is still sitting on the NA release? Fuck me.

The market conditions are actually better to release right now with the Vita as well. I've bought more DD Vita games in the last 2 weeks than in the last 2 years. Mainly due to me buying mainly UMD releases but Vita has to be helping the PSP ecosystem a little.

rockx4

Some of these digital prices are really hard to stomach when I bought most of them for less on UMD. I would be able to convince myself if all PSP games were available on PSN, but at the moment most are not, and that means I'd still have to play a majority of them on my PSP.

Need advice: Monster Hunter or God Eater? One has story(GE) the other doesnt(MH). One has varied environments(MH) the other doesnt (GE). One has more recent graphics(GE) the other is much more older(MH). I cant decide.

God, i wish i could go back in time and play this game fresh on a VITA screen. fucking amazing game. Got me into the Ys series. Now I can't get enough of them. Almost beat Ys 1.

StuBurns

Banned
I've only played the demo of the original one, but am I right in thinking the Dissidia games are just arena battles, with some RPG progression? I know 012 added a little world map thing, but there are no towns or anything of that nature, correct?

linkboy

The Ys games are nothing short of amazing (except for the PSP port of Napishtim, a major FUCK YOU to Konami for fucking that up).

Durask

If Vita takes off, then maybe they will reconsider.

Also, we do not know if any third party ever made a serious offer for the game...

Tain

I've always been meaning to sit down and beat an SRPG, but I've still never done it, lol. I feel like if I were to play FFT, it should be on PSX. The PSP version itself is scaled, right? I remember it looking blurry when watching a friend play it. Combine that with the slowdown and the fact that I most likely wouldn't care about the plot, and it seems like the PSP version might not be the best choice for me.

But! Tactics Ogre looks nice and native-ish and like a good port. Feels like a loaded question for this thread, but how do the games compare?

cj_iwakura

I've always been meaning to sit down and beat an SRPG, but I've still never done it, lol. I feel like if I were to play FFT, it should be on PSX. The PSP version itself is scaled, right? I remember it looking blurry when watching a friend play it. Combine that with the slowdown and the fact that I most likely wouldn't care about the plot, and it seems like the PSP version might not be the best choice for me.

But! Tactics Ogre looks nice and native-ish and like a good port. Feels like a loaded question for this thread, but how do the games compare?

Tactics Ogre is almost like a brand new game. They improved it that much.

LiquidMetal14

Welp, caved in and got Oath in Felghana. That makes 3 times that I've bought it. Now I have 6 PSP games on my Vita.

Which Ys game should I get? Judging by the descriptions it seems oath of felghana is a direct sequel

Oath in Felghana is the best place to start the series. All you need to know in the story is that the main character Adol is an adventurer who went on an adventure in Ys 1&2. Oath is pretty much self contained.

Grimmy

Banned
Any other games like Ys 7 on the system? I loved the soundtrack and gameplay in that game.

There are the other two Ys you can try ;)

Oath in Felghana is the best place to start the series. All you need to know in the story is that the main character Adol is an adventurer who went on an adventure in Ys 1&2. Oath is pretty much self contained.

I disagree. Ys 7 is a better game to start with since the difficulty in Oath can be rather daunting initially. Ys 7 gets neophytes more used to the pacing and the gameplay.

Which Ys game should I get? Judging by the descriptions it seems oath of felghana is a direct sequel

Get Ys 7 first. It's the most forgiving of the three.

That's why you couldn't get into it, you didn't give it chance :p

Yup, you really gotta get to around Chapter 3 to really appreciate the beauty of TiTS

Just got the Dissdia Prologus demo thing. I played the original Duodecim and loved it and was curious how it looked on Vita. Uhmm it doesnt look that hot to be frank.

Top Bottom