• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The *Definitive* PSP RPGs for Vita Thread

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
so there's no way of getting Phantasy Star Portable 2 on US PSN?

Not unless you bought it before they took it down. The thing is, it doesn't even run on the Vita, so it's pointless. I'm not sure if it will ever work with it, either.

Also, for anyone on the fence, Ys 7 is so good, holy cow. I can't believe I'd never played this game before. O_O

DaBuddaDa

The game on the PSP is 3x the price of the iPad version. You can get it on that device instead, where it will definitely not be 2nd tier as compared to other iPad RPGs.

Oh OK let me just grab my iPa...

I don't own an iPad, and this is thread about the PSP/Vita.

Lime

It's too bad Valkyrie Profile isn't on PSN at all. I would love to see the game in Vita's resolution and screen. The reliance on PSN distribution is also one of the major reasons why I'm waiting on buying Vita until Sony gets their PSP support properly implemented.

Jay Sosa

Thanks OP!

For anyone who gets easily frustrated: Don't buy Yggdra Union. You'll end up throwing your PSP/Vita outta the window, believe me. I played the GBA version (which is a bit harder) and it's probably the most unfair and frustrating SRPG I've ever played. Which is a shame cause it has some really great art and cool ideas. But all that gets outweighed by horrible game design.

is there a definitive RPG thread for ps3?? i did a search but nothing came up. i'm looking for some good rpgs..
I haven't seen one specifically for PS3. This thread might be useful: NeoGAF's Essential RPGs (2012 edition)

I'd rank what I've played accordingly.
amsmd.gif

Dark Souls
Demon's Souls
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim*
Valkyria Chronicles

c7eRX.gif

Alpha Protocol*
Folklore
Mass Effect 2*
Resonance of Fate
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion*

oS9AQ.gif

Borderlands*
Dragon Age: Origins*
Fallout 3*
Fallout New Vegas*
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Nier
Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls

w8FSq.gif

Eternal Sonata
Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness

lmh9K.gif

Enchanted Arms

* = Get the PC version instead.​

Eusis

Oh OK let me just grab my iPa...

I don't own an iPad, and this is thread about the PSP/Vita.
It's on iPod Touch/iPhone, and even if you didn't want to go through the whole thing on it you could use it to test and see if you really would want to pay $30. Of course that'd work better in a half off (or more) sale rather than at $10.

And I think Gurumin uses the L/R buttons for camera control exclusively, so the right analogue is meaningless for that game. I said it before, but they really should've put in L/R as one of the options for the right stick, even if you can't do up/down with that. Or full blown custom customization on what each direction does, that'd be good for VC2.

RedBoot

Alright, appreciate it! Was worried that the story carried over, but I guess I'll just jump into 3 first

Edit: holy shit, $40??? Did this game come out this year or something

The PSP version came out about a year and a half ago. They've had a few sales at $20 or so, so waiting might be a good idea. Plus, I'm thinking (hoping) Atlus will adjust their PSP prices pretty soon, especially compared to, say, Xseed's prices.

The game is worth $40, I think, and there's many of us who have bought all three of the game's releases so far. But I think it might be sensible to wait a couple weeks.

suikodan

Reading this thread made me suffer. I can decide what I want between TitS or the 3rd Birthday.

I love long RPGs except when I hit a wall so that's why TitS scares me a bit. I hit a wall in these games (that are now all in my Vita)

FF4 Complete: I began the last story without having all the saves for a good party. However, I had only two stories to complete so now I'm back in the story and I'm going to FAQ this one to the end as I want to put it behind me. I can't stress engouh about how good this one looks on PSV.

Persona 3: I'm stuck somewhere on the 100th floor I think. I'll probably get back to it after FF4C.

Valkyria Chronicles 2: I know I'm into grinding my party if I get back into this one.

FFT: I'm playing the iPhone version and got annilihated by the boss guarding
Ramza's sister

I know The 3rd Bday will be short enough for my taste but I want some quality time with my Vita!

Thanks OP!

For anyone who gets easily frustrated: Don't buy Yggdra Union. You'll end up throwing your PSP/Vita outta the window, believe me. I played the GBA version (which is a bit harder) and it's probably the most unfair and frustrating SRPG I've ever played. Which is a shame cause it has some really great art and cool ideas. But all that gets outweighed by horrible game design.

so wrong! :) yggdra union's great (particularly the psp version). difficult does not equal unfair (tho it can be frustrating), & i only ever found it to be the former. i loved it...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Damn, tempted on 3rd Birthday, missed it when it came out because I didn't have a PSP, but a lot of negative opinions turned me away from it. Now everyone seems to think it's great.

REAL SPOILER SERIOUSLY GUYZ:
They killed Aya
. From that moment forth, Square can get fucked for all I care. 10 years waiting for a proper Parasite Eve 3 and Square takes a dump on my face. Fuck them.

FAKE SPOILER:
The game itself isn't bad, granted. But the DNA system gets VERY annoying since you have to plan ahead and forget some slots if you are looking to level your slots up otherwise BYE BYE leveling if you slot a different thing in.

ETA: I think GAF should make a wiki like /v/ did for "recommended" games on different platforms. Would be interesting to see a general opinion on stuff.

Jay Sosa

so wrong! :) yggdra union's great (particularly the psp version). difficult does not equal unfair (tho it can be frustrating), & i only ever found it to be the former. i loved it...

It's not unfair that units suddenly appear outta nowhere all the time? It's not unfair/frustrating you can't kill anyone important, they all just retreat and attack you two maps later? It's not completely stupid that witches with fucking brooms wipe out your axe/sword/spear wielding units? Or that the main character is probably the weakest unit in the entire game? I could go on and on..

KingK

is there a definitive RPG thread for ps3?? i did a search but nothing came up. i'm looking for some good rpgs..

I don't think there are enough PS3 (J)RPGs to justify a list thread, unfortunately. There's Valkyria Chronicles (One of the best PS3 games period. Get it), Disgaea 3 & 4, FFXIII & XIII-2, Eternal Sonata and uh...I guess there's Tales of Graces f coming out next month but that's about it.

Alright, appreciate it! Was worried that the story carried over, but I guess I'll just jump into 3 first

Edit: holy shit, $40??? Did this game come out this year or something

It came out August 2010 but it's arguably (at least in my mind) the best game for the system, as well as being like 80-100 hours long. Trust me, it's worth it.

Lain

Anyone here that bought Valhalla Knights and is able to start the game playing as a female character and not a male one? I feel silly but I don't understand why the game forces me to play male. My Physical copy doesn't do that as far as I remember.

Eusis

It came out August 2010 but it's arguably (at least in my mind) the best game for the system, as well as being like 80-100 hours long. Trust me, it's worth it.
Alternatively: Wait on an Atlus sale. While they're stingy about permanent price drops they do have pretty good sales from time to time, it's how I got P3P. Only reason I didn't play it seriously was because I already did so on the PS2 and should beat P4 first.

stalker

Really? Seems to me a large % of the games are pretty reasonably priced to me:

The 3rd Birthday $19.99
Cladun: This is an RPG $9.99 at Gamestop.com
Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness $9.99 at Gamestop.com
Disgaea 2: Dark Hero Days $14.99 at Gamestop.com
Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions $9.99
Half-Minute Hero $9.99
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky $19.99
Lunar: Silver Star Harmony $14.99
Patapon 3 $19.99
Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords $9.99
Riviera: The Promised Land $14.99
R-Type Command $14.99
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together $19.99
Valkyria Chronicles II (Bundled Pack) $22.99
Wild Arms XF $9.99
Yggdra Union $14.99
Ys Seven $14.99
Ys: The Oath in Felghana $14.99
Ys I & II Chronicles $14.99

Well, the really insane prices are the ones you left out of your list. Even in this partial list a lot of games are at same price than UMD prices at online retailers. Some more expensive. Considering that PSP is old-gen from the Vita perspective, I think this is expensive pricing.

It's not unfair that units suddenly appear outta nowhere all the time? It's not unfair/frustrating you can't kill anyone important, they all just retreat and attack you two maps later? It's not completely stupid that witches with fucking brooms wipe out your axe/sword/spear wielding units? Or that the main character is probably the weakest unit in the entire game? I could go on and on..

no, it's not 'unfair'. it's the way the game's designed. & you either buy into it, & deal with it, or you don't. if the game was somehow structured so that the player was actually unable to deal with it, yeah, i'd then describe it as 'unfair' - but i was absolutely able to deal with all of it, & have a great time as well...

abrack08

buy 3rd birthday,amazing game! i completed it 5 times on psp and think i will double dip just for dual analog,can't wait to see how it looks on the vita screen,it already looked way too good for a psp game :O

lightningcostumew7fo.jpg

lightningdamagede7t4.jpg

as for 2nd tier rpgs (more like 5th tier),dragoneer's aria is on the european store,it only has 56% metacritic but i enjoyed it on psp back then

I haven't played that game, that tattoo looks an awful lot like a l'Cie brand

nasos_333

Anyone knows the status of FF-Type0, Legend of Mana and FF9 ?

Also is Grand Knights History confirmed compatible and coming to European store ? That would be reason enough to get a Vita

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Incredible OP.

My sole reason for wanting the Vita is to compliment my PC gaming with JRPGs, and this thread makes me want to go buy one tomorrow.

-MB-

Anyone knows the status of FF-Type0, Legend of Mana and FF9 ?

Also is Grand Knights History confirmed compatible and coming to European store ? That would be reason enough to get a Vita

Legend of Mana and FF9 are PSONE classics thus won't work as of yet.

turnbuckle

I love the Vita launch lineup, but I see myself spending a considerable chunk of time on PSP games. Even having a PSP for years, I'm finding it's such a joy playing them on the Vita hardware. That screen and d-pad, nevermind the analogs, are incredible.

PS1 Classics support is coming, they haven't said when though.

As for Type-0, SE are working on the Western version, but no platform is confirmed.

SE is working on 'international' version just like many other SE games getting the same treatment. for all we know, they could just bypass western market and just release the 'international' version in jp. :p

Lain

I can't believe the European version of Valhalla Knights would have removed the option to start as a female. I'm now pissed off for having spent 6€ on this. Fuck me for having bought it and fuck Rising Star Games for having done such a shitty, senseless change to the game.

StuBurns

Banned
SE is working on 'international' version just like many other SE games getting the same treatment. for all we know, they could just bypass western market and just release the 'international' version in jp. :p
To be fair, I'm just parroting what I've read others post, I've never seen the source of the claim it's coming. However, I would say there hasn't been a significant Final Fantasy that hasn't made it out in English. Before Crisis is pretty much the most notable, and that was planned for PSP, but they moved to CC instead, and it's really of insignificant importance compared to Type-0. I don't know for a fact, but it would be utterly stunning for it to remain in Japan.

EDIT: Theatrhythm isn't announced for the West. I find that pretty surprising.

Jigsaw

Banned
lol, you have to buy another game, unlock a costume and then destroy it to see where the f lightning's brand was :/

you don't have to buy another game,but if you bought 3rd birthday you got aya's outfit for lightning in dissidia 012

if you unlock the no armor cheat the outfits will always be damaged

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
you don't have to buy another game,but if you bought 3rd birthday you got aya's outfit for lightning in dissidia 012

if you unlock the no armor cheat the outfits will always be damaged

No, you needed to buy both to unlock Aya's outfit for Lighting in Dissidia. Third Birthday was going to do the same until people screamed bloody murder (and rightly so) and they reversed on that.

Jigsaw

Banned
Didn't they show it being there in XIII? My memory is hazy

i think they never showed it directly,but lighting showed it to fang in one scene

No, you needed to buy both to unlock Aya's outfit for Lighting in Dissidia. Third Birthday was going to do the same until people screamed bloody murder (and rightly so) and they reversed on that.

but you still don't have to buy dissdia to unlock it :p

Skilletor

Hmm, how does this work on Vita if I've bought both 3rd birthday and Dissidia 012?

leehom

Thanks op, totally forgot about corpse party and purchased it earlier today. I'm not expecting much, but it looks interesting.

Incredible OP.

My sole reason for wanting the Vita is to compliment my PC gaming with JRPGs, and this thread makes me want to go buy one tomorrow.

If you are after jrpgs, I'd recommend you pick up a 3ds instead for now. You can pick up a lot of really great jrpgs for cheap on amazon for ds.

And let's face it, 3ds will have a stronger jrpg lineup than vita ;(

Pick up a 3ds and a psp 3k would a better bet IMO.

Btw, is tales of eternia out on Euro psn? Probably my most played jrpg on the system.

Rolf NB

I'm with Jay Sosa on this. Yggdra Union's just random bullshit happening verrrry slowly, and then you restart the map. Nothing to do with strategy, and really not worth spending time on.

Jigsaw

Banned
Hmm, how does this work on Vita if I've bought both 3rd birthday and Dissidia 012?

3rd birthday: just unlock all the outfits in the game (and there are a lot,like 10!)

dissidia 012: all alternative outfits are available through dlc from the store,if you bought the umd versions of dissidia 012,3rd birthday,ff4 complete or bbs final mix (in japan) these included codes to download them for free

YS 7 and OiF are excellent games, so is FF IV. I'm going to have give 3rd Birthday and Dissidia another shot on the Vita. I hate to say this and I will most likely get dragged over the coals, but I was never able to get into TiTS.

Top Bottom