• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE "DENPA" MEN: They Came By Wave (Denpa no Ningen RPG): 9/27 on US eShop

System: Nintendo 3DS eShop
Release Date: Sep 27, 2012
No. of Players: 1 player
Category: Role-Playing
Publisher: Genius Sonority Inc.
Price: $6.99

Radio waves are all around you.

However, what you might not know is that, at any and all times, mysterious little creatures float around near these waves. They're called "Denpa" Men. You can't see them normally, but you can find them and catch them with your Nintendo 3DS.
This is a role-playing game in which you collect Denpa Men to form a party, and use this party to explore dungeons. Each radio wave territory has its own completely unique Denpa Men, and no two of them are ever the same! Their faces, bodies, and personalities are all different, and some of them even have special skills and strong points. There's a practically infinite number of variations! Sometimes, you'll even find Denpa Men who are exceptionally strong.

Try searching in lots of different places to form your own team of these wonderful tiny critters, and take them on an adventure to rescue a certain special someone from the clutches of the King of Evil!

Features
• Different types of "DENPA" MEN are location-specific
• There are many types of "DENPA" MEN, some are quite rare
• You can find and catch new characters anytime, anywhere
• Captured characters become characters in the game

gLJDG3Vmbxqak9_b7rS2haOK74nHJK59.jpg
hmFq_CrsQWqzb5MnOiqNhfRnZVaF6zAA.jpg

O1oRbqsOb7itm_294fIfJUJevGq4elba.jpg
LxbZh4I82iN7eiMMSC28m-7RUiGuQMCF.jpg
via Nintendo

I thought there was a thread where a few people posted their impressions of the Japanese version. Does somebody know if it's out there? Or just post new impressions, that works too.

Cherubae

I thought there was a thread where a few people posted their impressions of the Japanese version. Does somebody know if it's out there? Or just post new impressions, that works too.

It's a cute little turn-based dungeon rpg. You have to "catch" your party by using the 3DS AR camera. The type of man they are is usually noted by the antenna above its head, so you'll want to catch a variety of types. Then you go into a dungeon with your party and defeat the boss at the end.

I ended up catching some weird rose-topped guy, which turned out to develop into a man who could use an explosion ability. Most of the other men are healers, melee, water attack, etc.

And now it's finally being released. Wonder if I can put mr. boom-boom in the EN version; each man has a QR code associated with him.

Denpa Ningen 2 is coming out on the Jp eShop soon (or already has).

d+pad

It's a cute little turn-based dungeon rpg. You have to "catch" your party by using the 3DS AR camera. The type of man they are is usually noted by the antenna above its head, so you'll want to catch a variety of types. Then you go into a dungeon with your party and defeat the boss at the end.

Thanks for the impressions, Cherubae! How long would you say this game is -- 5 hours? 10 hours? Longer?

Also, are there a finite number of dungeons, or are they randomly generated or something like that?

I'm getting this regardless, but I'd still love to know a bit more about it!

Cherubae

I've only had about 4 hours to play it (busy w/ work) and have gone through the first and second dungeons - these two don't seem to be randomly generated. The game got hard *really* fast and my little men were getting beat pretty well, so now I need to spend the time (busy w/ work) to level up my guys and give the side-paths on Windy Forest Island another try.

You start out on one island and then more islands unlock as you go through the game. I've no idea how many there are total though, sorry.

d+pad

I've only had about 4 hours to play it (busy w/ work) and have gone through the first and second dungeons - these two don't seem to be randomly generated. The game got hard *really* fast and my little men were getting beat pretty well, so now I need to spend the time (busy w/ work) to level up my guys and give the side-paths on Windy Forest Island another try.

You start out on one island and then more islands unlock as you go through the game. I've no idea how many there are total though, sorry.

Thanks for the update, Cherubae! No worries about not knowing how many islands/dungeons are in the game, etc. -- I'll find out for myself soon enough :)

Really looking forward to diving into this.
I like that I don't know much about it.

UPDATE: The price has been raised from 6.99 to 9.99.

Hopefully the game is pretty content-rich, but I think the higher price will keep a lot of people from trying it.

Poyunch

Really looking forward to diving into this.
I like that I don't know much about it.

UPDATE: The price has been raised from 6.99 to 9.99.

Hopefully the game is pretty content-rich, but I think the higher price will keep a lot of people from trying it.

I'll wait for the discounted price.

Poyunch

You can carry your save data from the demo over to the full game, right?

So... you won't be buying? The eShop rarely has sales, and I don't think they've ever permanently discounted anything.

They've had some sales for eShop games before. Good games too. I can wait, or never play it. Either way.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Some info from the FAQ on the official site:

-No Japanese voices; replaced with sound effects
-Japanese QR Codes won't work with the English version
-Demo contains the first chapter of the game and lets you transfer your data to the full game; limited to 30 plays

Some info from the FAQ on the official site:

-No Japanese voices; replaced with sound effects
-Japanese QR Codes won't work with the English version
-Demo contains the first chapter of the game and lets you transfer your data to the full game; limited to 30 plays

How many chapters are in the full game?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
So who knows how this game "actually works?" I had guessed it was like AfterZoom on DSiWare, which generated different things based upon the colors you were looking at. But I've heard that the game says it's based upon "waves," and the same area will always generate the same dudes. Is it using wireless? Feeling out wi-fi access points?

Anyone play the demo yet?

Seems like they stop you from going past the first boss and while they say you can add two more people to your party, it doesn't seem to be letting me.

Just wanted to confirm this is what other people are experiencing out of it since there's no other cut off message besides being able to play it 30 times.

Chrom

Anyone play the demo yet?

Seems like they stop you from going past the first boss and while they say you can add two more people to your party, it doesn't seem to be letting me.

Just wanted to confirm this is what other people are experiencing out of it since there's no other cut off message besides being able to play it 30 times.

How many Denpa Men do you have? I only had four when I cleared Digitoll Cave, but when I went back to catch two more Denpa Men at the Antenna Tower, they were in my party as I went back to the cave and fought more enemies.

And yeah, it looks like you can't go beyond the room with Wolfbear.

How many Denpa Men do you have? I only had four when I cleared Digitoll Cave, but when I went back to catch two more Denpa Men at the Antenna Tower, they were in my party as I went back to the cave and fought more enemies.

And yeah, it looks like you can't go beyond the room with Wolfbear.

I caught eight of them initially (I caught more when it told me I was good with the three I caught) and so I went back to the house to put them in my party. Maybe I jumped the gun on wanting to do that.

I enjoy that they level the dudes in your house too. Makes you more inspired to swap them out if you're not worrying about how low they are.

Chrom

I also thought it funny the kid is playing a cobalt 3DS (JP exclusive color) - does that mean it might come over?

I noticed that as well. When I first saw it, I was thinking it was actually the Aqua Blue 3DS, but the more and more I looked at it, I'm feeling certain that it really is Cobalt Blue.

Surprise megaton?

Top Bottom