• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The direct-feed GameCube screenshot thread (56k and spoiler warning)

Since the response on the other thread was pretty good and badly compressed capture card images with logos on them are to be found all over the net, I figured there'd be quite a high demand for good, lossless direct-feed GameCube screenshots.

All of them were taken with GCNrd. Chances are you don't have the necessary equipment or knowledge if you ask how to use it. That's something you'll have to figure out on your own.

Rules:

1. No capture card screenshots. We've already got a gazillion of them on other sites.

2. Please only post screenshots done by yourself. Or some you can be entirely sure of that they are direct-feed.

3. These screenshots may be used anywhere without permission, but don't flick your stupid site logos on them. This is really getting on my nerves - people find good shots online, steal them, put their logos on them and save them in a lossy format. Those shots don't belong to you, neither do they belong to me - the games were created by their respective developers. If you use them, distribute them the way they're intended to be.

4. If possible, crop black borders to minimize file sizes.

5. Lossless image formats encouraged.

Games posted:

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
METAL GEAR SOLID THE TWIN SNAKES
FINAL FANTASY CRYSTAL CHRONICLES
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime (Gallery)
Star Fox Adventures (Part 1) + Star Fox Adventures (Part 2)
Super Mario Sunshine
Pikmin
Star Wars (Rogue Squadron?)
biohazard 0 / Resident Evil Zero
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
biohazard / Resident Evil
THE LEGEND OF ZELDA Four Swords+ / The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
THE LEGEND OF ZELDA Baton of Wind (Part 1)
THE LEGEND OF ZELDA Baton of Wind (Part 2)
THE LEGEND OF ZELDA Baton of Wind (Part 3)
Beyond Good & Evil
F-ZERO GX
Viewtiful Joe

BEWARE! MASSIVE SPOILERS AHEAD!

6o4b8gp.png

72st5jk.png

71vx3ra.png

6jfo4so.png

8347wiq.png

7y49id0.png

6ob7p85.png

82i6wpl.png

6lwzbjt.png

8evo19k.png

8e08lj8.png

8f5h447.png

72vbek1.png

6ytz6e0.png

7ydq521.png

89l2mxe.png

6usi2i1.png

81fkcps.png

8afo55t.png

6x9t98m.png

7xb966b.png

81srm2a.png

6yx51zs.png

Those are some massive Twilight Princess spoilers. I've been looking for a high quality model rip of transformed Midna for a while, any idea of what program I could use to rip models?

Phatcorns

Looks great man. I was really hoping it was some capture hardware you were using, but oh well. I wonder, are there mods for 360 or PS3 that allow this?

DarthWaiter said:
How come the last 4 of the Wind Waker pictures I can see horizontal lines in the pics?
These small dots are those lovely particle effects (fog/dust) the GameCube can create. It just doesn't look good in still shots.

Unfortunately, GCNrd isn't able to handle Resident Evil 4. It's one of the few games it doesn't work with:
007:Agent Under Fire
Resident Evil 4
SSX3
Star Wars: The Clone Wars
Metal Arms: Glitch in the System
X-Men Legends
X-Men Legends II Rise of the Apocalypse (or however its spelt)
Shrek: Extra Large

Xrenity

Wow, Twilight Princess doesn't look that good on those.. I think it looked better when I played it.

Wind Waker still looks hot.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Prime Blue said:
These small dots are those lovely particle effects (fog/dust) the GameCube can create. It just doesn't look good in still shots.

Unfortunately, GCNrd isn't able to handle Resident Evil 4. It's one of the few games it doesn't work with:
Err, no, the "dots" are artifacts of the 16-bit color depth the game is using. Most GC and Wii games use this low color depth and suffer from it as a result.

dark10x said:
Err, no, the "dots" are artifacts of the 16-bit color depth the game is using. Most GC and Wii games use this low color depth and suffer from it as a result.
No, it's really just the particle effects. You'll notice those are not present in other shots without fog/dust.

Eric_S

Prime Blue said:
No, it's really just the particle effects. You'll notice those are not present in other shots without fog/dust.

Alpha channel dithering.

It's trying to calculate the transluceny of the fog/farticle effect and runs up short due to insufficent colour depth.

ohamsie

I tried looking up GCNrd on google, and it looks way out of my league. :lol

I second the request for F-Zero GX if you're doing requests.

7x0iwht.png

833gpli.png

6phe71s.png

7x2dlif.png

8g8af7p.png

6nvj6rp.png

6tlzq5f.png

6xzxiz7.png

6ufdb2o.png

81q5kxt.png

7w9ltfq.png

72qlcae.png

7youh40.png

6z86844.png

8fmbi1e.png

7yhk6k4.png

6py7cc4.png

8a1baqf.png

6yeby3l.png

6ktfkn5.png

8ftw7wy.png

832iq9x.png

6tc5czp.png

81j9u06.png

82kovmq.png

7xmzc6d.png

6pyafz6.png

730bck7.png

PS: Haven't got F-Zero GX, but will get around to doing Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2 Echoes.

PPS: Nice stuff, donny2112.

Fuuuuuuuck, Wind Waker was so beautiful. I'd shit bricks if the next Zelda went that style again (and I think Japan would appreciate it).

Thanks for making me want to replay it, Triforks quest ftl.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Eric_S said:
Alpha channel dithering.

It's trying to calculate the transluceny of the fog/farticle effect and runs up short due to insufficent colour depth.
That's right.

Hopefully the next Zelda will reach some sort of common ground between WW and TP. I want cell shaded without looking like Wind Waker.

TheGreatDave said:
Hopefully the next Zelda will reach some sort of common ground between WW and TP. I want cell shaded without looking like Wind Waker.

It's the extremely childish character models that bothered people I think. If they make the style of the models more grown up looking I believe a lot less people will have problems with it. I liked TP more than WW, but I love Zelda either way so whatever they do is fine by me.

donny2112

Mato said:
I can't wait to see Metroid Prime 1 and RE4.

GCNrd doesn't work with RE4.

These two images are a manually combined result from multiple GCNrd screenshots. I would zoom in as far as possible, take the screenshot, move over, take another screenshot, etc., and then combine them in Paint by hand.

8e7y6p3.jpg

8fbwmfa.jpg

LegendofJoe said:
It's the extremely childish character models that bothered people I think. If they make the style of the models more grown up looking I believe a lot less people will have problems with it. I liked TP more than WW, but I love Zelda either way so whatever they do is fine by me.

I just don't want to play what feels like a direct sequel to Wind Waker. It was so good because it looked so different, and I want that again, while playing to the strengths of the system.

I always thought GameCube games looked great...then I saw Wii screenshots and I still think they do.

Sorry haters, but Star Fox Adventures would be a great display for this thread.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
I love you and I love this thread.

I also hate Nintendo and their awful screenshots, and Wii developers who can't make games that look anywhere near as good as these ones. :mad:

donny2112

Edag Plata said:
Sorry haters, but Star Fox Adventures would be a great display for this thread.

Most of my pictures were taken to show off codes
anyone want to see giant Pikmin in Pikmin 2?
, but I do have one SFA screenshot.

89sreky.jpg

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Ganondorf's death scene in Twilight Princess is still one of the most haunting and memorable scenes I've seen in gaming for a good while.

I dunno though. Putting the two side by side, I can see why people can be more enamoured by the Wind Waker style. It's definitely something, in all honesty, I prefer (of course in general I thought Twilight Princess was a much better game, but that's another thing altogether)

Do Pikmin! Do Pikmin!

Top Bottom