• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The direct-feed GameCube screenshot thread (56k and spoiler warning)

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
To the OP: you wouldn't happen to have either Ikaruga, or Skies of Arcadia, would you? I'd like to see how those compare to their Dreamcast counterparts. I'm used to seeing Dreamcast games being played through VGA, and I've always thought that they looked better on the DC than the Cube.

Then again, I'm sort of fanboyish towards the DC...

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
man, i really miss my Gamecube. i actually had a dream last night that i was given a new one... =[

Nice work Prime.

I would like to see some Starfox Adventures pics if possible.

I wish we can get some F-Zero GX grabs. That should put 90% of Wii games to shame.

Correct, but it's in motion where this is truly evident. In pics, F-Zero doesn't shine.

OMG, those Biohazard shots make me want to go play the game.

But yeah, good idea on this thread. I really hate those sites that tack their logos on pictures, and honestly, I wish they had an option for PNG's as well as lossy JPG's ect....

zoukka

I`ve been waiting for this!

Resident Evil and Resident Evil Zero gameplay NOW!!!1

Playstation 2 deserves a thread like this too.

ohamsie

Are you taking requests? I'd like to request the following:

Luigi's Mansion
Mario Sunshine
Paper Mario
Mario Golf
Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
Smash Bros.

and more Resident Evil

please.

master15

Awesome thread, it's really nice finding some decent captures of in-game stuff.

Could you please post some shots of- Starfox Adventures, Waverace: Bluestorm, And Luigi Mansion if possible.

Xavien

Dark Octave said:
They made Samus look like a soccer mom. :lol

Way better than "Barbie Doll" in Metroid Prime 2 & 3.

This thread is awesome btw, really shows off what the Gamecube was capable of.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Thread is made of awesome.

I skipped the Cube last gen and all of my close friends only had PS2s, but I'm playing GC games now on the Wii and I'm loving it.

Prime Blue said:
81fkcps.png
Prime Blue said:
King and Midna ftw. They were great in both ending scenes.

hirokazu said:
Damn, what are you guys using to make these crazy screenshots? :0

Insane!
Seriously?

Did you read any of the three pages? The OP, the numerous people like you who just went, "how are you doing this", while ignoring everyone else who keeps on asking what GCNrd is?

farnham

Banned
Midna is so amazing.... man i really have fallen in love with that character..

And FF CC man... that looks amazing.. Wii version instant want!

oneHeero

These look really good, secondly I had no idea stores were STILL selling GCs. I was VERY shocked to see Walmart selling them. I'm really tempted to buy one since I never owned one.

Lobster

Banned
oneHeero said:
These look really good, secondly I had no idea stores were STILL selling GCs. I was VERY shocked to see Walmart selling them. I'm really tempted to buy one since I never owned one.

I think they are left over shipments. I can get a cube for 50 dollars in Australia :\

Though I got a Wii..no point other then it looking cool.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Lobster said:
:lol

And people claim TP to look bad

:lol
Eh? It's a mixed bag. There are certainly nice looking areas with excellent art direction, but there are also plenty of really ugly moments filled with extremely blurry textures, awful dithering, and low poly models. It feels much less consistent than Wind Waker did.

Lobster

Banned
dark10x said:
Eh? It's a mixed bag. There are certainly nice looking areas with excellent art direction, but there are also plenty of really ugly moments filled with extremely blurry textures, awful dithering, and low poly models. It feels much less consistent than Wind Waker did.

The better parts outweighed the worst imo. The worst part I can remember is looking at the trees in Ordon village. Apart from that I thought Ordon Village was quite pleasant looking.

Kakariko village, which some say isn't a very good looking place, I found was pretty neat looking with its amazing scale.

dark10x

Lobster said:
The better parts outweighed the worst imo. The worst part I can remember is looking at the trees in Ordon village. Apart from that I thought Ordon Village was quite pleasant looking.

Kakariko village, which some say isn't a very good looking place, I found was pretty neat looking with its amazing scale.
It really isn't bad, but it's just shy of what it could have been. The image quality is REALLY bad throughout (very dithered with dirty textures and lighting everywhere) and a lot of the models seem really poly starved.

[Nintex]

dark10x said:
It really isn't bad, but it's just shy of what it could have been. The image quality is REALLY bad throughout (very dithered with dirty textures and lighting everywhere) and a lot of the models seem really poly starved.
The character models were great, and the lightning was used for some awesome scenes. I agree with you on the dithering and some textures though but that's because it's a Gamecube game. The best looking area is the secret grove I think. The trees look so much better compared to ordon or hyrule field and the ruins are very detailed as well. Overall TP looked great but it's a shame they didn't replace the textures for the Wii version.

dark10x

[Nintex] said:
The character models were great, and the lightning was used for some awesome scenes. I agree with you on the dithering and some textures though but that's because it's a Gamecube game. The best looking area is the secret grove I think. The trees look so much better compared to ordon or hyrule field and the ruins are very detailed as well. Overall TP looked great but it's a shame they didn't replace the textures for the Wii version.
I think you give the Wii too much credit in the texture department. It has yet to demonstrate that it can produce significantly higher resolution textures. The extra ram would help somewhat, but I doubt you would have seen a huge leap forward. Mario Galaxy, for instance, doesn't even focus on areas anywhere NEAR as large yet its texture remain pretty average to poor (the camera is far enough away from them that it doesn't really matter, though). Textures WERE improved in Prime 3 over the previous games, but it didn't really feel like a massive leap forward. Not that I would have minded such an improvement for TTP. :p

[Nintex]

dark10x said:
I think you give the Wii too much credit in the texture department. It has yet to demonstrate that it can produce significantly higher resolution textures. The extra ram would help somewhat, but I doubt you would have seen a huge leap forward. Mario Galaxy, for instance, doesn't even focus on areas anywhere NEAR as large yet its texture remain pretty average to poor (the camera is far enough away from them that it doesn't really matter, though). Textures WERE improved in Prime 3 over the previous games, but it didn't really feel like a massive leap forward. Not that I would have minded such an improvement for TTP. :p
The texture quality in Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Strikers Charged and Metroid Prime 3 is better than the textures used in most Gamecube games.

Ledsen

Fuck, I haven't played TP yet but I scrolled through the images anyway (very very quickly)... I didn't understand what was going on so I didn't get spoiled... until some guy wrote "wow, Midna is so cool" and then I was like "shit." :lol

Boerseun

Banned
straydog1980 said:
can someone tell me if FF:CC is worth playing through if it's just single player?

Play it single player rather than not play it at all. The game has huge charm and still works as a single-player action-RPG dungeon romp, with some pretty unique handling of attributes and lots of great puzzles. The graphics and sound are amazing. It also offers some connectivity if you only have one GBA and no friends with GBA's of their own. I'd give single play 7 or 8 out of 10.

Playing with humans obviously ups the quality of the experience. I'd give it 9 out 10, I reckon, a perfect 10 if you can get three people to join you. It really is that awesome!

dark10x

[Nintex] said:
The texture quality in Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Strikers Charged and Metroid Prime 3 is better than the textures used in most Gamecube games.
I never suggested otherwise. That doesn't mean they look significantly better. It simply feels like improved efforts on the same hardware. The leap from Gamecube to Wii, in terms of textures, seems less dramatic than the improvements PS2 saw over its lifetime (early PS2 games featured textures far lower in resolution than your average Dreamcast game yet by the end, things were completely different).

master15

I'm not sure if this falls directly under the OP's rules but I remember Oli posting screens from Metroid Prime an age ago, which showed some of the beautiful environments off. I recall they came from the Japanese Metroid site, which had changed it's address in the passing years. I know they're a little small, but if anyone is able to capture larger pictures of some of the environments shown, that would be great.

s_06.gif
s_07.gif
s_01.gif

s_03.gif
s_01.gif
s_02.gif

s_06.gif
s_01.gif
s_02.gif

Also here are some pretty decent shots of Resident Evil remake;

001.jpg

001.jpg

006.jpg

009.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

001.jpg

002.jpg

AntMurda

One thing I always remember is Nintendo internally favoring texture variety over resolution. Pikmin and Luigi's Mansion textures may have been blurry if you zoomed the camera upclose on certain items, but the variety was insane.

Wii Sports (Wii Golf for example) features very sharp resolution textures. Super Mario Galaxy textures are very beautiful.. why would they need to be ultra sharp when the game doesn't have a controllable camera. That makes no sense whatsoever.

Avrum

More REmake and RE0 pics please. ^_^

By the by, I kind of like the "different" look they put Rebecca in with RE0. At the very least it seems a bit darker than her usually "bubbly" photos everywhere else.

Threi

notag
The only textures that are above average in SMG are the ones on the rolling rock things. Doesn't matter though cause the camera is so zoomed out (Probably eases needless stress on the system as well)

Xavien

ohamsie said:
That open window is the scariest part of the game. Every time I'd walk past it I'd just about piss myself thinking something was going to jump out at me. :lol

And eventually (When the Hunters appear), something does :lol

Scared the crap out of me.

M3d10n

master15 said:
I'm not sure if this falls directly under the OP's rules but I remember Oli posting screens from Metroid Prime an age ago, which showed some of the beautiful environments off. I recall they came from the Japanese Metroid site, which had changed it's address in the passing years. I know they're a little small, but if anyone is able to capture larger pictures of some of the environments shown, that would be great.

Also here are some pretty decent shots of Resident Evil remake;

Nice, but not direct-feed (aka: direct framebuffer rips taken straight out of the GC memory with the GCNrd).

I'd love to see direct feed REMake screens.

itxaka

Defeatist
oh man, I´ll love to do this on my wii with some of my cube games. And please, do not do Eternal Darkness, it will look really ugly, I want to remember it as I saw it for the first time.

master15

ohamsie said:
That open window is the scariest part of the game. Every time I'd walk past it I'd just about piss myself thinking something was going to jump out at me. :lol

Yeah, Resident Evil remake was one of the best gaming experiences I had last generation. I was lucky in a way since it was my first true Resident Evil experience and boy it didn't dissapoint.

One of my favourite moments was the inital trek down to Lisa Trevors cabin, through the woods filled with fog, and the full moon visible. But that paled in comparison to finding her secret underground home and tracking it all the way around to one of the final areas.

donny2112 said:
I mainly use GCNrd with my code-applied saves, so you may notice slightly more hearts for Fox than you remember. ;)

6nst8nm.jpg

That was visually one of the better areas in SFA. I don't even think the screen does it justice. Those portals along with the rays of light filtering into the main chamber room...all super impressive stuff.

master15 said:
Hmm... I'd say you should only post screens taken by yourself or that you're entirely sure of that they are direct-feed (just like the Twilight Princess shots for example where it's very noticeable), because the biohazard stuff you posted looks a lot like capture card screenshots.
See two direct-feed shots for comparison:
71vt8bl.png

6nrk3tl.png

I changed the OP accordingly.

Super Mario Sunshine

OMG! THE WATER!

JPEG artifacts courtesy of Nintendo's bad FMV compression. Fun fact: The Japanese versions are much less heavier on artifacts because the other region releases have reencoded FMVs.

8es95dj.png

735hum9.png

8a034wh.png

6s6afso.png

6tuab14.png

6lmsxl0.png

7xdm8sp.png

6ku1veo.png

89rcbk8.png

8a0vksy.png

6k5uw3o.png

86fce1t.png

6ssmxw6.png

6jce82c.png

8c12d4y.png

72ktavn.png

87n0scw.png

8btm2z6.png

8gjhxn9.png

82x6uet.png

89t3pqt.png

6jkfxp0.png

8dw0g9v.png

72gf5s3.png

6yf0ysh.png

8g4zbj8.png

6u8dvd3.png

714hox3.png

7xnrdk1.png

6x6ilcj.png

6prnd79.png

7xo87es.png

6utsfi9.png

8g84kkm.png

80w86d4.png

89shqi1.png

732w2ld.png

8geesxw.png

JaCy

Prime Blue said:

I still remember the first time you battled Bowser Jr at the amusement park, that was one of the best boss battles in the entire game. :D

Seeing all these pics of GC games is really making me want to rebuy some of them. :\

Top Bottom