• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Afternoon Collection |OT| Somehow we never did get a Quack Pack game

maxcriden

Disney_afternoon_collection_cover.png

INCLUDED GAMES

DuckTales
leyjquenbykfm7svsmei.jpg

DuckTales 2
xeyfomqgqtchjvcouzu0.jpg

Darkwing Duck
dml9azwijeynmcms21sh.jpg

TaleSpin (below screen includes use of the collection's TV filter)
chj0okjlsdd6ckywbouv.jpg

Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers
ivtshxuzfxlvg4rtomwe.jpg

Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers 2
pm2rbfbwrlb719lkjipa.jpg

INFO

Developer(s) Digital Eclipse
Publisher(s) Capcom
Disney Interactive Studios
Engine Eclipse Engine
Platform(s) Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, Xbox One
Release April 18, 2017
Genre(s) Action, platform
Mode(s) Single-player, multiplayer
Price(s): $19.99 / £15.99 / €19.99
Thing(s) I stole from Wikipedia: all of the above (and some of the below)
Trailer: https://youtu.be/STBIC4dOBrI

FEATURES

All six games in the collection are primarily side-scrolling platform games. The games will retain their original style and gameplay, but the compilation will include the ability to rewind game time to correct mistakes, and time attack and boss rush modes, in which players able to compete in online leaderboards. Additionally, the compilation will include concept art, music, and additional assets created for the original games.

ktsnvesiaywtkb2eq0nu.gif

The game also includes Rewind, Time Attack and Boss Rush.

tzom5nhheo8bnkh9ejw4.jpg

REVIEWS

OpenCritic: 78

Metacritic: 78 (PS4)

Unscored (PC)

Unscored (XB1)

HISTORY

latest

What was the Disney Afternoon block of TV?

The Disney Afternoon (abbreviated as TDA since 1994) was a created-for-syndication two-hour television programming block which aired from September 10, 1990, until August 1997. At that time, it was taken out of syndication, and a new Disney weekday afternoon block was started on UPN. The Disney Afternoon was produced by the Walt Disney Company.

The two hour block was broken up into four half-hour segments, each of which contained a cartoon series. As each season ended, the first cartoon shown in the lineup would typically be dropped, and a new one added to the end. The Disney Afternoon itself featured unique animated segments consisting of its own opening and "wrappers" around the cartoon shows shown.

latest

The popularity of the Disney Afternoon led to a temporary sub-park at Disneyland called Disney Afternoon Avenue, from March 15 to November 10, 1991. At this time, the block even garnered its own parade and a stage show titled Plane Crazy (not to be confused with the Mickey Mouse short of the same name). Walk-around costumes were created for the characters featured on the shows and regularly appeared throughout the theme parks, mostly in Mickey's Toontown, which featured an attraction based on Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers - Gadget's Go Coaster. As of today, most of the character walk-arounds have been retired.

Disney Afternoon Avenue actually came to Disneyland before Mickey's Toontown (name based on the film Who Framed Roger Rabbit) ever opened. This temporary "land" actually used cartoon building fronts to occupy the space leading up to the "it's a small world" attraction and the Fantasyland Theatre, known as the Small World Mall. The Entrance to Baloo's dressing room was actually under the train tracks, where the entrance to Mickey's Toontown is now. Some say that Disney actually used Disney Afternoon Ave was a test, to gauge interest in a Mickey's Toontown concept.

http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/The_Disney_Afternoon

Pinky

Banned
Downloading for PS4 when I get home! My childhood!

getting tonnes of slowdown on xbox one version especially on boss segments :(

1st gen xbox one on alpha dash preview

Is the slowdown intentional? In other words, did they leave it in the games to keep them authentic? I know they added slowdown to Mega Man 9/10 when too many enemies appeared on screen to replicate the limitations of the NES hardware.

Robin64

I appreciate you showing that players can stretch the screen, distorting it wildly, but seeing Duck Tales and Chip and Dale like that makes me cry.

Santar

The OP forgot to mention the other awesome new feature they added in from Mega Man Legacy Collection, audio poping.
That's right folks, experience the games like never before, now with scratchy audio!

It's inexcusable that they still haven't managed to fix this issue on their emulator/game engine.
Playing the games in this officially released collection should not be inferior to playing on any old emulator.

Chairhome

For those asking for a Switch release (I'm not begging here!), it is worth it to mention the Mike Mika and I think Frank Cifaldi (both are from the development studio) have been "liking" posts on Twitter that have been asking about a Switch release since this game was announced.
Not a confirmation by any means, but it may be an indication of their willingness to port. Maybe their hands are tied and either Capcom or Nintendo didn't green light it yet.

I always thought it weird how we got this huge outpouring of Disney animation in the 90s and absolutely none of it starred their principle character Mickey.

OmegaFax

For those asking for a Switch release (I'm not begging here!), it is worth it to mention the Mike Mika and I think Frank Cifaldi (both are from the development studio) have been "liking" posts on Twitter that have been asking about a Switch release since this game was announced.
Not a confirmation by any means, but it may be an indication of their willingness to port. Maybe their hands are tied and either Capcom or Nintendo didn't green light it yet.

Consider that even though a port of Mega Man Legacy Collection was announced for the 3DS along with the PS4/XOne/PC release, it didn't come out for a full six months afterwards along with a physical release for the 3DS and home consoles + a gold Mega Man Amiibo.

I don't think Frank Cifaldi is stupid. These are NES games after all. It's probably coming down to negotiating with Capcom & Disney over physical releases + a budget for additional bug testing or permission for extras like NES box art and instruction manuals.

Edit: Not sure if I'm going to pick it up today. Briefly played Ducktales and Ducktales 2 when I was messing around with my NES Classic a few months ago and the games are so much fun. They're more NES games I can play using the PS4's native streaming function since I'm too much of a cheapass to put money down on a dedicated streaming setup.

Pinky

Banned
makes it very difficult to play

Just takes some getting used to. :) This was all too common in the NES era.

I think it's just a matter of when. In the meantime, I'll be playing this on PS4. :)

Petrae

Sound issues aside (ugh), the fact that I'm finally able to play Duck Tales 2, Rescue Rangers 2, Darkwing Duck, and Tale Spin for the first time-- without illegally downloading them or paying $400+ for the carts-- for only $20 makes me happy to own the collection. Unlike the Mega Man games, which I already have for PS2/GCN, I didn't have legit access to these Capcom/Disney ones... so buying this was a no-brainer for me.

I do hope the sound issues get addressed at some point, though I'm not expecting it.

Piccoro

Strange choice of platforms to release this on

Their previous collection (Mega Man Legacy Collection, which was 6 NES games) also released on PS4, Xbox One and Steam. So what's so strange about platform choice?

Yeah I know, you're gonna say it should release on the latest Nintendo platform because those are NES originals.
Well, people have to realize that the Switch is not the NES and this is 2017, not 1989. The gaming landscape is vastly different now. Capcom chose these 3 platforms because that's where the majority of gamers are. Why would they choose to invest in a console that just released and have a fraction of potential buyers of those other platforms.
If you been following Capcom from these past few years, you know they will not take those kind of risks anymore.

I posted these in the other thread:

Just played for 15 minutes (PS4).

The "popping" sound that permeated certain music tracks in the Mega Man Legacy Collection returns here. I've noticed it on two tracks so far (Ducktales 1 and Darkwing Duck level select screens). But like the MMLC, it only appears in certain tracks. Most don't have it. I wouldn't expect this to be fixed via a patch (it wasn't fixed in the MMLC update), so if that's going to be an issue for you, you've been warned.

The presentation is pretty slick. It's a nice improvement over the UI in the Legacy Collection. Don't really have much more to say, yet.

Oh yeah, I should warn people that the "popping" sound (I wish I had a better way to describe this, sorry) is present in...

...wait for it...

...the Moon Theme. If any track should have escaped this horrible fate, it's this one. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I've since played about an hour more of the collection. Overall, it's pretty solid, but it kind of bugs me that these sound issues from their previous compilation have not been addressed.

getting tonnes of slowdown on xbox one version especially on boss segments :(

Completely intentional, as the original games were full of slowdown.

I have noticed some sound issues as well but since I never played these games on the NES, I wasn't sure if it was normal or not.

Other than that, it's a nice little package. Having tried each game briefly, they don't necessary feel as great as the Mega Man games but they are still pretty fun. And the Trophies seem attainable this time around, thank god.

Now, give me my Sega Disney Collection (including the Master System games), please!

The popularity of the Disney Afternoon led to a temporary sub-park at Disneyland called Disney Afternoon Avenue, from March 15 to November 10, 1991. At this time, the block even garnered its own parade and a stage show titled Plane Crazy (not to be confused with the Mickey Mouse short of the same name). Walk-around costumes were created for the characters featured on the shows and regularly appeared throughout the theme parks, mostly in Mickey's Toontown, which featured an attraction based on Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers - Gadget's Go Coaster. As of today, most of the character walk-arounds have been retired.

Disney Afternoon Avenue actually came to Disneyland before Mickey's Toontown (name based on the film Who Framed Roger Rabbit) ever opened. This temporary "land" actually used cartoon building fronts to occupy the space leading up to the "it's a small world" attraction and the Fantasyland Theatre, known as the Small World Mall. The Entrance to Baloo's dressing room was actually under the train tracks, where the entrance to Mickey's Toontown is now. Some say that Disney actually used Disney Afternoon Ave was a test, to gauge interest in a Mickey's Toontown concept.

Huh, this would've been the exact time I went to Disneyland with my grandma and sister when I was five. I remember seeing Dale, so it checks out!

(Random fact about that trip: I ended up being too scared to walk through the Haunted Mansion, so I had to close my eyes while my grandma walked me through it. XD)

Re: the games, I'm glad these came out and will likely pick them up when they hit a decent sale price. Honestly, I'm impressed they were able to get the licensing for all of them. I guess they're all Disney, but I'm not sure if there is an exclusive license there like there was with Marvel. Actually, that's all one company now too, along with Star Wars...

Now I'm just confusing myself, haha.

Lundren

Banned
Strange choice of platforms to release this on

Subtle.

I have all of these in cart form, but I'm still buying the collection to play with my 5 year old.

He loves playing Chip n Dale co-op with me and it is easier to play on the PS4 than the NES these days.

Pinky

Banned
Their previous collection (Mega Man Legacy Collection, which was 6 NES games) also released on PS4, Xbox One and Steam. So what's so strange about platform choice?

Yeah I know, you're gonna say it should release on the latest Nintendo platform because those are NES originals.
Well, people have to realize that the Switch is not the NES and this is 2017, not 1989. The gaming landscape is vastly different now. Capcom chose these 3 platforms because that's where the majority of gamers are. Why would they choose to invest in a console that just released and have a fraction of potential buyers of those other platforms.
If you been following Capcom from these past few years, you know they will not take those kind of risks anymore.

2 things:

-1- Switch hardware is selling pretty well right now. Nintendo would be wise to ramp up production as much as possible.

-2- It would hardly be a risk to port six 8-bit NES games. I mean, this wouldn't be equivalent to Capcom testing the Switch waters with Resident Evil 7 or anything like that.

Not trying to derail, so back on track we go!

Piccoro

2 things:

-1- Switch hardware is selling pretty well right now. Nintendo would be wise to ramp up production as much as possible.

-2- It would hardly be a risk to port six 8-bit NES games. I mean, this wouldn't be equivalent to Capcom testing the Switch waters with Resident Evil 7 or anything like that.

Well, Mega Man Legacy wasn't released on the Wii U because all of those games were already on Virtual Console. Maybe Capcom plans to eventually release these Disney games individually on the Switch (future) VC?

Well, Mega Man Legacy wasn't released on the Wii U because all of those games were already on Virtual Console. Maybe Capcom plans to eventually release these Disney games individually on the Switch (future) VC?

That's not likely the reason it skipped Wii U. The Legacy Collection was released on 3DS, where all six Mega Man games were already available on that system's VC.

Regarding Disney Afternoon, my guess is that Digital Eclipse didn't have Switch dev kits when this particular project went into production. If Capcom continues seeing strong demand for the title, they'll probably contract them to port it to Switch later this year. Mike Mika has publicly stated on Twitter it would be "pretty easy" to pull off and they're more than willing to do so.

Pinky

Banned

That is quite possible. The only thing that sucks is the fact that Switch VC is a little ways out and, if they stick to the same NES platform pricing, we'll be paying $5 per title. So, you'd have the collection for $19.99 on other platforms, but you'd be paying around $30 for the same six titles on VC. Sucks, but that could very well be how things turn out.

krae_man

Bought and should be downloaded by the time I get home from work.

Super excited. Never had an NES as a kid and somehow only played the Duck Tales games when I discovered Nesticle.

The others look fun as hell.

Still going to buy this because fuck paying secondary market prices for DuckTales 2 and Rescue Rangers 2, but it's still a shame that they didn't sort out those sound issues from Legacy Collection.

They were all on 3DS VC too, in all fairness.

Can you opt to just have a black background when playing these in 4:3? I don't like colorful edges.

Also: any possibility we'll get a physical copy down the line just as we got for the Megaman legacy collection?

jholmes

I guess that's one thing you could call the OT...

Getting this on PC, just trying to find if there's any deal or anywhere that offers something cool with it.

I'm thankful that they do stuff like recreate slowdown from the original NES games for that authentic retro experience but would it kill them (or even be possible) to include the option to play them "optimized" with no slowdown? I don't know if that would break the games but it would be nice to be able to play them with smooth frame rates and no glitchy graphics when multiple enemies show up on screen for once.

Jazzem

Keen to pick this up, though may be down the line due to lack of funds. Kind of amazing we're actually seeing some of these old licensed games get re-releases, heh

I'm thankful that they do stuff like recreate slowdown from the original NES games for that authentic retro experience but would it kill them (or even be possible) to include the option to play them "optimized" with no slowdown? I don't know if that would break the games but it would be nice to be able to play them with smooth frame rates and no glitchy graphics when multiple enemies show up on screen for once.

Yeah, I wish they included the option to double the sprite limit you sometimes see in emulators and clone hardware.

Top Bottom