• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Afternoon Collection |OT| Somehow we never did get a Quack Pack game

Demoskinos

Played a bunch last night. Good stuff the Time attack and boss rush modes are actually neat I enjoy that they put the timers for each section on the screen.

Damn....

T8rBfAK.png

Idk if the game boy version is any different in content but I had that version growing up.

Picked this up and played a bit over lunch. I got farther in 30 minutes of play today (Chip n Dales) then I had ever gotten before as a kid.

Game feels good, brings back great memories. Can't wait to play co-op with my wife later and "accidentally" throw her into oncoming enemies.

Tempted to get this on Steam, curious about performance on PCs.

I'm thankful that they do stuff like recreate slowdown from the original NES games for that authentic retro experience but would it kill them (or even be possible) to include the option to play them "optimized" with no slowdown? I don't know if that would break the games but it would be nice to be able to play them with smooth frame rates and no glitchy graphics when multiple enemies show up on screen for once.

Keen to pick this up, though may be down the line due to lack of funds. Kind of amazing we're actually seeing some of these old licensed games get re-releases, heh

Yeah, I wish they included the option to double the sprite limit you sometimes see in emulators and clone hardware.

Didn't realize this; I also wish they would have an option to run an optimized version of the games. I love the NES and I realize there is a certain nostalgic charm to pixel flicker and slowdown but I wouldn't be opposed to devs addressing technical hiccups while under the hood, yet otherwise faithfully recreating these titles.

All that said, the new features and bonuses sound terrific; I think these games will be ideal for the rewind option.

That's not likely the reason it skipped Wii U. The Legacy Collection was released on 3DS, where all six Mega Man games were already available on that system's VC.

Regarding Disney Afternoon, my guess is that Digital Eclipse didn't have Switch dev kits when this particular project went into production. If Capcom continues seeing strong demand for the title, they'll probably contract them to port it to Switch later this year. Mike Mika has publicly stated on Twitter it would be "pretty easy" to pull off and they're more than willing to do so.

Also, licensing. Then again, putting up all 6 games would cost $30 collectively anyways, unless they implemented a licensing tax and charged $6 a pop.

Tempted to get this on Steam, curious about performance on PCs.

Didn't realize this; I also wish they would have an option to run an optimized version of the games. I love the NES and I realize there is a certain nostalgic charm to pixel flicker and slowdown but I wouldn't be opposed to devs addressing technical hiccups while under the hood, yet otherwise faithfully recreating these titles.

All that said, the new features and bonuses sound terrific; I think these games will be ideal for the rewind option.
I think I remember seeing someone say that in one of the MegaMan games, there's a level that like literally relies on the slowdown in order to even be playable? But I don't think every game is like that, especially these Disney games, and even then, just give us the OPTION please. We can put all kinds of filters over the graphics and stretch them to wide screen but we can't let them run at a solid frame rate? ):

I think I remember seeing someone say that in one of the MegaMan games, there's a level that like literally relies on the slowdown in order to even be playable? But I don't think every game is like that, especially these Disney games, and even then, just give us the OPTION please. We can put all kinds of filters over the graphics and stretch them to wide screen but we can't let them run at a solid frame rate? ):

I read from people that the slowdowns from the original games are still intact in this collection.

KingBroly

Banned
I am really mis-remembering DuckTales.

I am also really bad at 2D Platformers now, apparently. Or there might be some inconsistent input frame delay here on PC. But I'm going with the former for now but I'll have to really look at things closely.

Cmagus

Just finished Rescue Rangers and I forgot how good that game is. I've been playing the PC version an so far it's been rock solid with no issues, it's really well done so far.

Idk if the game boy version is any different in content but I had that version growing up.
It's kind of like the original GB Megaman games, where they have totally remixed versions of the levels from their NES counterparts.

The GB version of DuckTales 2 is secretly better than the NES version.

I read from people that the slowdowns from the original games are still intact in this collection.

Right, right, that's what brought this topic of conversation up. They're "retro accurate" because they have all the same slow down but it would also be really nice and appreciated if they would give us the option to turn that off, and have stable frame rates, no flickering sprites, etc. IE, use the hardware that is orders of magnitude more powerful than what they were released on to make them play perfectly.

me0wish

How does it run on resolutions higher than 1080p? MegaMan collection looked terrible on my 2k screen and I ended up using an emulator instead.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Played around with this on PS4. Really nice to have these, but man is it unfortunate for Capcom to have this out the same day as Dragon's Trap. Decent but flawed (audio) release of some of the most beloved 8-bit titles of all time, while Lizardcube puts an insane amount of detail and love into Dragon's Trap with a flawless 8-but version.

Anywho.. it is awesome to have these.. audio popping is stupid. Blah.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Shame they didn't do a Disney's 16-bit Collection, I would jumped on that.

Grabbed the PS4 version. Only really tried Duck Tales so far (going through the games in chronological order).

Took me a couple of tries to get into the swing of things again but I managed to clear hard mode on Duck Tales in only 30 minutes. Kinda makes that 2 hour goal on time attack look silly! Its easier than I remember it as well, especially after I remembered that two heart containers exist and are fairly easy to find.

I still love Duck Tales though, its just such a nice fast paced platformer and the pogo stick mechanic is well used to traverse the great levels. As much as I love the remaster that was done a couple of years back, there's no denying the constant cutscenes and forced exploration introduced in the game killed the pace of the game somewhat.

I did notice a little bit of sound popping on the moon stage as noted by someone else, but I was happy that the controls seemed perfect (no input lag what so ever noticed), and the scan lines option does make the game look a little bit nicer. All round it seems like a great collection, pity that it has those little sound issues that kinda hamper an otherwise excellent product.

Also I kinda wish the games had a proper Mega Man Legacy Collection styled challenge mode. The time attack/boss rush modes are ok, but I doubt I have what it takes to get anywhere decent on the leaderboards and the trophy requirements are way to relaxed to really pose that much of a challenge.

Plus the share button is great since these games are fairly short, I managed to record a rough run of Duck Tales:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRW_JXzUF-8

I didn't play any of these games as a kid and I played through duck tales and rescue rangers tonight. Both cool fun games, good retro games to chill out to.

I had a crash to dashboard when trying to start tailspin but decided to give it another go before bed and does it totally suck or what? After the super precise platformers DT and RR that game feels so erratic and hard to control. Maybe I'm just not used to it.

me0wish

How does it run on resolutions higher than 1080p? MegaMan collection looked terrible on my 2k screen and I ended up using an emulator instead.

Capcom deleted my thread asking this question on Steam, screw you Capcom, I'm not buying your shit.

Dsyndrome

Chip and Dale just as quick as I remember it. Plan on going through Ducktales next with no rewind, think I've beaten that game more over the years than most others.

Anyone having a wierd disappearing boss glitch with the Ducktales 2 boss rush (on Steam)? I thought it might be just a normal NES aspect like the slowdown, but then it doesn't happen in the games themselves. Basically anytime I hit a boss (especially the Golem and Pirate) their sprite full on disappears for a good 3-5 seconds but keeps their hitbox/hurtbox so I can get injured by an enemy that's invisible.

Darkwing is pretty rad, definite Mega Man DNA in dickish enemy placements lol

First boss was brutal getting used to "down+jump" to drop a ledge but only "down" to drop again. Accidentally hit jump again and you go back up regardless of down. Rewind city. Haha

Grabbed the PS4 version. Only really tried Duck Tales so far (going through the games in chronological order).

Took me a couple of tries to get into the swing of things again but I managed to clear hard mode on Duck Tales in only 30 minutes. Kinda makes that 2 hour goal on time attack look silly! Its easier than I remember it as well, especially after I remembered that two heart containers exist and are fairly easy to find.

I still love Duck Tales though, its just such a nice fast paced platformer and the pogo stick mechanic is well used to traverse the great levels. As much as I love the remaster that was done a couple of years back, there's no denying the constant cutscenes and forced exploration introduced in the game killed the pace of the game somewhat.

I did notice a little bit of sound popping on the moon stage as noted by someone else, but I was happy that the controls seemed perfect (no input lag what so ever noticed), and the scan lines option does make the game look a little bit nicer. All round it seems like a great collection, pity that it has those little sound issues that kinda hamper an otherwise excellent product.

Also I kinda wish the games had a proper Mega Man Legacy Collection styled challenge mode. The time attack/boss rush modes are ok, but I doubt I have what it takes to get anywhere decent on the leaderboards and the trophy requirements are way to relaxed to really pose that much of a challenge.

Plus the share button is great since these games are fairly short, I managed to record a rough run of Duck Tales:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRW_JXzUF-8

Since Duck Tales requires precise timing with it's jumping was there any noticeable input lag?

Chucker

To the people dismissing the XBO issues as slowdown, I have played the originals and this is different.

Stuttering is a better word for it. There is slowdown which is expected from the originals, and stuttering, which is garbage and makes me want to throw things :(

korly

I'm having the same problem on XB1. It's like when you try to run a PC game that's too much for your computer. Stuttering I suppose you'd call it. Even happens in the front end menus.

To the people dismissing the XBO issues as slowdown, I have played the originals and this is different.

Stuttering is a better word for it. There is slowdown which is expected from the originals, and stuttering, which is garbage and makes me want to throw things :(

I'm having the same problem on XB1. It's like when you try to run a PC game that's too much for your computer. Stuttering I suppose you'd call it. Even happens in the front end menus.

Damn.

This doesn't happen on PS4.

antibolo

Banned
You know what, fuck GAF rules. I'm just gonna call the elephant in the room like it really is: this should be available on Switch, period. Current day Capcom is an absolute shitstain of a company. These are Nintendo games that deserve to be on a Nintendo console. The lack of feedback from Capcom regarding a Switch port is a disgrace that should be discussed, and not just pretended to be a non-issue.

@MUWANdo

Banned
You know what, fuck GAF rules. I'm just gonna call the elephant in the room like it really is: this should be available on Switch, period. Current day Capcom is an absolute shitstain of a company. These are Nintendo games that deserve to be on a Nintendo console. The lack of feedback from Capcom regarding a Switch port is a disgrace that should be discussed, and not just pretended to be a non-issue.

Two points:

-Nintendo sent out Switch dev kits much later than you might expect and the NOA allocation was said to be particularly low, so it's probable that Switch wasn't even an option until the project was well into production

-Capcom USA doesn't have a ton of authority or money to throw around and isn't going to confirm or extend productions like these on a whim, so while a later Switch port seems like a foregone conclusion, there's still a process that needs to run before those decisions can be made

in short, chillax.

Watching a few reviews of this actually has me somewhat interested in these games. $20 ain't a bad price, but I reckon if I wait a bit this game will go down rather quickly. Looks fun to play with others, def will keep an eye out for these games.

Sounds like the issue that occurs in all the ACA NeoGeo games on Xbox One. Weird.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I'm trying to hold out for a physical release but I hope this leads to a slightly larger follow-up compilation that would include the rest of Capcom's NES and SNES games.

NES:
Adventures in the Magic Kingdom
Mickey Mousecapade
The Little Mermaid

SNES:
Goof Troop
Aladdin
The Magical Quest
The Great Circus Mystery
Magical Quest 3
Bonkers

I never played Bonkers or Mickey Mouscapade so I don't know if those would really be worth porting. And there are a couple Game Boy and GameCube games by Capcom but I don't think anyone needs those on any compilation.

The only other game would be Magical Tetris Challenge on N64 but it likely would be a pain because of the Tetris license and wanting them to emulate a random N64 Tetris game would probably be a bit much.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Just played through chip and dale 1 and 2. The no rewind trophy didn't pop for the first game (was pissed!) so I played through chip and dale 2 without it, which isn't hard. Man, both games hold up really well today (2 more than 1). The platforming is super tight, I had a great time playing through both of these games again. Well worth the $20 for these two alone.

Also I played talespin for the first... and last time. Never again.

leroidys

I'm trying to hold out for a physical release but I hope this leads to a slightly larger follow-up compilation that would include the rest of Capcom's NES and SNES games.

NES:
Adventures in the Magic Kingdom
Mickey Mousecapade
The Little Mermaid

SNES:
Goof Troop
Aladdin
The Magical Quest
The Great Circus Mystery
Magical Quest 3
Bonkers

I never played Bonkers or Mickey Mouscapade so I don't know if those would really be worth porting. And there are a couple Game Boy and GameCube games by Capcom but I don't think anyone needs those on any compilation.

The only other game would be Magical Tetris Challenge on N64 but it likely would be a pain because of the Tetris license and wanting them to emulate a random N64 Tetris game would probably be a bit much.

Mousecepade was actually made by Hudson and just published by Capcom in the west.

khaaan

Off-topic but is the Mega Man collection in good standing now? I recall when it first launched there were a number of problems with the game.

Excited to grab this, I haven't played TaleSpin but everything else is quality material. It'll be fun to play through Chip n' Dale with my brother. If there is a Switch version it'll be a double dip.

Top Bottom