• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Afternoon Collection |OT| Somehow we never did get a Quack Pack game

Played through Darkwing Duck this morning. For the most part it was fairly simple, but damn at the difficulty spike for the final boss. Took me several attempts to figure out how you do the first phase without getting torn apart! Still really enjoyed the game though, just got Duck Tales 2 and Rescue Rangers 2 to play through now.

Imma hold my purchase. I have the feeling we'll get a physical version announced alongside a Switch version. I'd still go for the PS4 though.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Decides to jump in and these games for the first time on my NES Classic.

Damn, Darkwing Duck has some finicky hit detection. I finished the City level, it was fun but the game had a hard time detecting I was grabbing in to the hooks.

Decides to jump in and these games for the first time on my NES Classic.

Damn, Darkwing Duck has some finicky hit detection. I finished the City level, it was fun but the game had a hard time detecting I was grabbing in to the hooks.

I think the hit box is at the top of the hooks, I was seeing issues as well. Just aim to jump ABOVE the hooks and you should always grab them, haven't had any further problems since using that method.

iidesuyo

Until recently, I didn't even know Duck Tales 2 and Chip'n Dale 2 existed.

The only game of the bunch I ever finished was the Game Boy version of Darkwing Duck. Feels weird to play the same game but with a higher resolution.

Until recently, I didn't even know Duck Tales 2 and Chip'n Dale 2 existed.

The only game of the bunch I ever finished was the Game Boy version of Darkwing Duck. Feels weird to play the same game but with a higher resolution.

I really need to replay the GB version of Darkwing Duck. I finished that one a few years back and don't remember the final boss being as tough as the NES version. Then again, once you know how to take down the first phase of Steel Beak quickly the game becomes more manageable. Once I'm done with a couple of other games I'm going to try and do no death runs on all the games in this collection bar Talespin. I've come close a few times (especially Rescue Rangers).

iidesuyo

I really need to replay the GB version of Darkwing Duck. I finished that one a few years back and don't remember the final boss being as tough as the NES version.

I just replayed one of the first levels, the one on the bridge. The Game Boy version is MUCH easier.

Boy, some of these games are pretty bad. Interesting to see how far along games are now. Things like consistently functioning hitboxes are a standard, but something many of these games lack. Talespin is particularly terrible.

The rewind feature is such a godsend in this regard. There's no chance I'd sit through any of these otherwise. The games are absolutely packed with issues that fortunately, have mostly disappeared in modern games, but at least the rewind feature helps reduce how severely they impact the experience.

Picked this up yesterday and played through Rescue Rangers 1 and Talespin.

First time for Rescue Rangers, a solid title with some straight up naff hitboxes at times, in particular the library/bookshelf stage had collectables you'd clip through.
Despite the game being pretty breezy that last level spiked hard, felt like moving at even an adequate pace would be punishing.
Serviceable title but nothing that really stood out to me, the box lobbing/lurking had its moments though.

Talespin is the one I had as a kid and I couldn't quite remember if the speed increase of bullet increase was more important to nab first. On this point the game would be like 10 times better if you just had them by default because crumbs is Baloo's plane a piece of trash at default movement.
The random parachute drops from enemies eating your bullets is a problem as early as the first stage when the flying submarines come up and I'm struggling to recall how I beat that City boss back in the day because I couldn't for the life of me find the safe spots in that hot mess of a boss.
There's almost a decent simple shooter in here, the plane flipping mechanic is interesting enough but the upgrade mechanic gimps things from the word go and the general gameplay feels sloooooow with some inconsistent challenge (often breezy prone to sudden fuckery).
Boss theme is still dope though

Dsyndrome

Boy, some of these games are pretty bad. Interesting to see how far along games are now. Things like consistently functioning hitboxes are a standard, but something many of these games lack. Talespin is particularly terrible.

Beat it last night, didn't really have fun at all. The Haunted House in particular is fucking impossible.

Beat it last night, didn't really have fun at all. The Haunted House in particular is fucking impossible.

There were moments where I had to rewind back time 5+ times trying to fit my plane between bullets, yet they would repeatedly hit me, despite not being visually, anywhere near them.

It's really horrible playing games like these, after playing modern shooters and whatnot. Because if we consider the size of your characters hitbox in something like Resogun, or Jamestown, it's a single pixel wide. That gives the player a tremendous amount of leniency, and allows the designers to pack the level with bullet patterns that almost seem unfair.

But in Talespin, your hitbox is not only the size of your ship, but larger, so you're constantly trying to fit an invisible square between bullets, and hoping you don't get hit.

The difference can be summed up as favouring the player, over the game. Modern shooters allow the player to 'cheat', but as a result of this the game feels fair, and the player feels empowered, while retro titles like Talespin allow the game to cheat, making the game feel unfair. When coupled with the punishing difficulty, it really is just a mess of game design.

It makes me realise why people appreciate games like Megaman so much. I don't find the megaman titles especially remarkable, but if these were Capcom's other releases, then it's nice to play a game that (mostly) feels fair.

Just beat DuckTales 2 though I'm sure I missed a fair amount of stuff but that's fine because this game is legit and I can easily go back for another round, might actually be better than the more loved (or perhaps more known) original.

Just beat DuckTales 2 though I'm sure I missed a fair amount of stuff but that's fine because this game is legit and I can easily go back for another round, might actually be better than the more loved (or perhaps more known) original.

Snap! I've just done the same thing. I missed a few pieces of the treasure map though so I'll do a replay of it. Had to laugh at the final boss though, he's hilariously easy if you stay just in range, duck and then pogo jump on him when he starts walking toward you. I had more issues with the Egypt boss and Scotland boss overall (neither of those are all that hard either).

I definitely love some of the new moves you get in this game. Varies things up and the treasure map pieces makes exploring and revisiting levels worth doing. I'd say its almost if not as good as the original.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

Beat Ducktales 2 a few days ago, and had a blast. OG Ducktales can get fucked though, the controls suck ass.

And TailSpin is awful as always.

I did go back through the original and you know what? Duck Tales 2 is better, this game deserves all the accolades but has spent its life in the unknown, a true tragedy of retro classics.

I did go back through the original and you know what? Duck Tales 2 is better, this game deserves all the accolades but has spent its life in the unknown, a true tragedy of retro classics.

Yeah, I've come to that conclusion as well after playing it a few more times. The secrets in the stages are worth going after (for the extra level and secrets) while the original DT doesn't really require you to go out of your way to explore once you know exactly where everything is. Plus money is actually useful in DT2. I loved the controls and new moves more than the original as well. As it stands I love the original Duck Takes, but the sequel is definitely the better of the two in my opinion.

Not sure about Rescue Rangers 2 though. Some of the bosses really suck, in that they are painfully easy but really, really long boss fights. The final boss is sleep inducing levels of boredom and little to no challenge at all. The levels themselves are fine - nice and fast paced as always, but I don't rate the bosses at all bar a couple.

@MUWANdo

Banned

DT2 was definitely not as popular on NES but the Game Boy version did very well at the time.

I'd recommend checking out the Game Boy version if you want more--the level design is fairly different and it has a lot of exclusive items and temporary powerups for whatever reason. (DT1 on GB is mostly the same as the NES game).

Allow me a quick vent...
FUCK THIS FINAL BOSS IN DARKWING DUCK!

there has to be a trick to this.

Edit: and seconds after posting I find it, rage works!

Allow me a quick vent...
FUCK THIS FINAL BOSS IN DARKWING DUCK!

there has to be a trick to this.

Edit: and seconds after posting I find it, rage works!

I know the feeling, it felt like a sharp rise in difficulty on the final boss, then when you know the tactic to beat him its a piece of cake!

Tizoc

So I'm playing through Chip n' Dale 2 and while the stages are waaaaaaaaaay too easy, the bosses are rather tough. Boss 2 confused me until I realized how to get blocks to hit him with.

So far my ranking goes
Chip n' Dale 1= Darkwing Duck>TaleSping

IMO TaleSpin has the makings of a good shmup at its core, even though what we have isn't a good game, a fanhack or remake could really bring out its potential.

Duck Tales 2 was one the last games we bought in a store for the NES, and I have a stronger nostalgicconnection towards it than the first – But yes, DT2 does everything better than the original. It's a great sequel.

It also irks me that a lot of reviewers (Alex at Giantbomb for example) sort of brushed Tale Spin to the side because they don't have a nostalgic connection to it or haven't played it before. It's a great game.

Tizoc

TaleSpin is a game I feel could benefit from a fanremake or remix.
It has some good gameplay elements but damn can be irritating to play through at some points @o@

TaleSpin is a game I feel could benefit from a fanremake or remix.
It has some good gameplay elements but damn can be irritating to play through at some points @o@

What makes it irritating?

I enjoy it a lot, it has a layer of depth by letting the player buy upgrades, it has secrets to be found in the levels, it has imaginative enemies and bosses, colourful graphics etc.

jholmes

What makes it irritating?

I enjoy it a lot, it has a layer of depth by letting the player buy upgrades, it has secrets to be found in the levels, it has imaginative enemies and bosses, colourful graphics etc.

It's a shooter, rather than a platformer, and I think that's the main reason for complaints. It starts pretty hard and the firing upgrades are pretty well mandatory, which I think is a legit thing to criticise. People might say some moments require memorization and are a bit unfair but that's certainly also true of DuckTales and Chip 'n' Dale's.

I never really cared for it until I gave it a real good look on NES and I like it even more after playing it again in this compilation.

Top Bottom