• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

codhand

So now I've been in the DMC for a couple months I was wondering

Who else has a bunch of movies they didn't want but we're too lazy to both decline or return? >_>

yo not for nothing, but i declined the last offer on their website via the email, and a DVD shows up at my doorstep anyway, wtf, not even a blu-ray, had me wondering if you have to decline DVD format separately, to top it off then i gotta pay return shipping...ughh, the worst,

yo not for nothing, but i declined the last offer on their website via the email, and a DVD shows up at my doorstep anyway, wtf, not even a blu-ray, had me wondering if you have to decline DVD format separately, to top it off then i gotta pay return shipping...ughh, the worst,
Pay return shipping??? I just talked with them because I missed the denial of Toy Story and they told me the package has a return label in it already. The rep said to just slap that on there and send it back. Is that.. not the case?

codhand

Pay return shipping??? I just talked with them because I missed the denial of Toy Story and they told me the package has a return label in it already. The rep said to just slap that on there and send it back. Is that.. not the case?

i mean i was told the label i had was not pre paid, and would be $2.75 to return, either way, im not letting it happen again....

Soulfire

I've gotten a couple DVDs from DMC because I didn't respond in time and I've never had to pay for return. Weird, hope that's not something they're doing now.
Also, on the website under your account profile you should be able to change your preference to Blu Ray. I believe that will change it so that they send Blu Rays out instead of DVDs, you do not have to respond separately to each format.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Managed to find Lady and The Tramp for $17 =D

Now the only vaulted Blu Ray I'm missing is Fantasia/Fantasia 2000.

Congrats. My Mother bought me a copy of Lady and the Tramp a few months ago... from the UK. I didn't have the heart to tell her I was neurotic about packaging and DMR codes and so it didn't count, but I did ask where she bought it: Amazon. Apparently they list the UK import copies in US search results and if you don't recognize the minor packaging details you'd never know. :(

Downhome

So who here is very active on Disney Movie Rewards? I just got this in the mail today. It was just 500 points of my more than 15,000! This is the original, 27" x 40" double sided 1-sheet teaser poster...

XY41Nml.jpg

CVkRYkr.jpg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
My wife and I are pretty active, but we've been moving around a lot the last few years so we stopped buying some of the big-ticket stuff like the Jim Shore figurines. As a result, we've got 6,000-ish spare points. I think if we had 15k, we'd probably blow it on the Walt Disney Studios private tour.

Fox Mulder

Congrats. My Mother bought me a copy of Lady and the Tramp a few months ago... from the UK. I didn't have the heart to tell her I was neurotic about packaging and DMR codes and so it didn't count, but I did ask where she bought it: Amazon. Apparently they list the UK import copies in US search results and if you don't recognize the minor packaging details you'd never know. :(

Third party sellers offering a great service. Pretty easy to get region vaulted stuff like lion king beauty and the beast region free for cheap.

I think the UK packaging is better too, as there's numbers on the spine.

foladar

Wish they had them showing at their Downtown Disney location too.. Dogs Week seems good overall. Wonder what they'll pair with Toy Story.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
As per this thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1087161

Disney is releasing the Collected Works of Hayao Miyazaki box set as an Amazon exclusive this fall. 11 films:
Lupin the Third: The Castle of Cagliostro, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Castle in the Sky, My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki’s Delivery Service, Porco Rosso, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Howl’s Moving Castle, Ponyo, and The Wind Rises.

As per this thread:

Disney is releasing the Collected Works of Hayao Miyazaki box set as an Amazon exclusive this fall. 11 films:
Lupin the Third: The Castle of Cagliostro, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Castle in the Sky, My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki’s Delivery Service, Porco Rosso, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Howl’s Moving Castle, Ponyo, and The Wind Rises.

What are the chances that this is under $200? I'd say not likely :p

Credo

As per this thread:

I knew I should have waited. I already own every one of them on Blu Ray. When I saw the Collected Works set, I instantly thought about how best to sell all the individual movies in order to put that money toward this set, but I don't know that I want to go through the trouble of it.

Magnus

I saw the Aladdin Diamond Edition pop up on my Amazon. Releases on October 13th.

Rk18dKN.jpg

Shit's finally coming out. Wow. Will buy.

Was hoping for a less family friendly cover and something a touch more....epic? With Jafar for sure.

Will there be a bundle of all three films? I certainly hope so. I managed to find working, great copies of both sequels on DVD but it'd be sweet to have them all on blu.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Will there be a bundle of all three films? I certainly hope so. I managed to find working, great copies of both sequels on DVD but it'd be sweet to have them all on blu.

In the past they have released the sequels at the same time as their mainline counterparts (i.e. Jungle Book 2 releasing the same day as Jungle Book) but there hasn't been an announcement yet. The only reason anyone would be skeptical is because blu-ray sales have fallen across the board and a lot of companies are cutting back on their releases of minor titles in favour of digital, including Disney. Keep your fingers crossed. I'm pretty confident :)

Fox Mulder

Just make it a dmc exclusive if they don't want to make many. They'd only have to make a couple thousand that would sell out for collectors. I want a complete classics lineup on bluray.

a company like disney should care more about their history, but I have to pirate the Walt Disney treasure stuff if I want to get it now.

Someone on the blu-ray.com forums (username: The Mad Kiwi) noted that an artist who has done a variety of packaging art for Disney incl. Little Mermaid, Lion King, and Peter Pan just added this to his portfolio:
http://www.ericheintzimaging.com/illustration/#/saludos-amigos-the-three-caballeros/

Rehosting a smaller version:
sYWyKnt.jpg

That could be art that was commissioned but won't end up being used, but it could also indicate it's in production :)

I guess we will have to wait till D23 for any news on the collection.

omgkitty

Which of the direct to video sequels are worth watching? I've heard good things about the Aladdin ones, I think?

I always like the sequels to Aladdin, though I haven't seen them in about 15 years, so I have no idea if they still hold up. I think some people seem to like the Lion King sequel as well.

Cheerilee

Which of the direct to video sequels are worth watching? I've heard good things about the Aladdin ones, I think?

IIRC, Aladdin 2 was meh, Aladdin 3 was good.

Cinderella 2 was meh, 3 was good.

Little Mermaid 2 and 3 (technically a prequel) were meh.

Peter Pan 2 was terrible. The Tinkerbell movies (six of them) are mostly good.

Some of the "meh" movies are better in theory than they are in execution (which isn't really Disneytoon's fault, they were working under absurd restrictions). Depending on your feelings toward the original and your ability to overlook problems, some of the "meh" ones might be watchable.

I always liked the Aladdin sequels but I also watched the show pretty religiously. Looking back, they were the only Disney sequels I ever watched.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
None of the sequels are comparable in quality to the original films. Aladdin 3 and An Extremely Goofy Movie are both probably worth watching. Not sure there's any others I'd recommend.

None of the sequels are comparable in quality to the original films. Aladdin 3 and An Extremely Goofy Movie are both probably worth watching. Not sure there's any others I'd recommend.

Cinderella III - A Twist in Time and Lion King 1 1/2.

Rule of thumb, Disney sequels most always stink, but if there's a third movie, they can actually be decent. :p

robb_w7

Banned
Cinderella III - A Twist in Time and Lion King 1 1/2.

Rule of thumb, Disney sequels most always stink, but if there's a third movie, they can actually be decent. :p

I think this is because before making a 3rd, they look at how bad the 2nd was and make the 3rd more like the 1st

Theres a formula in there somewhere..........

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Besides the ones already mentioned, Rescuers Down Under was pretty great.

Oh, yeah, Fantasia 2000 and Rescuers Down Under aren't even something that come to mind when people say "sequels" because they're both mainline, theatrical release titles. I actually like Rescuers Down Under more than The Rescuers.

Inside Out is releasing November 3rd.

Bonus stuff according to stitch kingdom:

BONUS FEATURES (Digital HD*, Blu-ray Combo Pack & Disney Movies Anywhere (DMA))

Riley’s First Date? (In-Home Exclusive Animated Short Film) – Riley, now 12, is hanging out at home with her parents in San Francisco when potential trouble comes knocking: a boy shows up at the door. Can Mom and Dad’s emotions handle Riley’s First Date?
LAVA (Theatrical Short Film) – Inspired by the isolated beauty of tropical islands and the explosive allure of ocean volcanoes, LAVA is a musical love story that takes place over millions of years.
Story of the Story – Director Pete Docter talks about the evolution of Inside Out, from the ideas and memories that inspired the story through the hurdles, explorations and experiences that helped shape it into the film it is today.
Paths to Pixar: The Women of Inside Out – Inside Out filmmakers, from voice actors to animators to production crew, talk about their paths, their goals, the challenges they’ve faced and the lessons they’ve learned along the way
Mixed Emotions – Inside Out’s filmmakers talk about how they decided which emotions to focus on in the story and how they went about creating each one’s distinct personality and visual identity
Mapping the Mind – Inside Out’s artists take you through the years-long process of designing and creating a world everyone knows, but no one has ever seen – the human mind.
Our Dads, the Filmmakers – Elie Docter (daughter of director, Pete Docter) and Grace Giacchino (daughter of composer, Michael Giacchino) bring you behind the scenes for an inside look at the making of the film.
Into the Unknown: The Sound of Inside Out – What is the sound of a memory forming? Sound designer Ren Klyce describes the challenges – and the unique solutions – involved in creating the aural world of Inside Out.
The Misunderstood Art of Animation Film Editing – Learn more about the crucial role of an animation film editor, who helps take the story from its earliest, most exploratory versions, to the final, polished film you see onscreen.
Deleted Scenes:
Riley Grows Up – In this scene from a version of the film where the primary relationship was between Joy and Fear (then named Freddie), the emotions begin to notice a change in Riley.
Joy’s Decline – Joy’s struggles to make sense of the limitations on Riley’s behavior that seem to be springing up at every turn.
Misdirection – Joy and Freddie encounter a group of Riley’s “retired” imaginary friends, including an early version of Big Bong.
Construction – Joy is guided through Riley’s mind by a radical non-conformist, Bing Bong, outraged by the demolition of older areas like Imagination Park.
Commentary – Commentary includes participation from directors Pete Docter and Ronnie del Carmen, and producer Jonas Rivera.
Mind Candy – A montage of toolkit and interstitials produced for Inside Out.
Inside Out Trailers – A collection of domestic and international trailers made for Inside Out.

Read more: CONFIRMED: Pixar's 'Inside Out' on 3D Blu-ray in November; Digital in October; Full Bonus Features List - Stitch Kingdom
StitchKingdom.com - The #1 unofficial source for news on Disney

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
What kind of rewards do y'all go for from Disney Movie Rewards? None of them look interesting to me outside of maybe a few of the blu-rays.

Magnus

Canadians:

Treasure Planet, Atlantis 2pack and Sword in the Stone are all super cheap at HMV. I believe they're all part of the 2/X sale where they go down by 50% if you're buying two. I just grabbed Sword for $15 and Atlantis for $10!

Edit- actually I decided not to. No slipcovers. I have no idea why I'm so intent on having those. Lol

Top Bottom