• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

isny

napkin dispenser
Filled my Disney bluray collection a little more.

That puts me at 32 out of the 53 Disney animated movies created so far. I think I'm only missing Big Hero 6, Cinderella, Oliver & Co, Peter Pan, the original Winnie the Pooh & Robin Hood from the blurays released in Finland (non-sequels) that I have any interest in getting.

Kind of happy this years-long Disney & Pixar blu-ray collecting is finally starting to near its end, at least when it comes to the backlog of classics (& not-so-classics). All-in-all, there's probably no more than 10-12 or so Disney movies (incl. ones that haven't been released on bluray anywhere yet) that I still want in my collection.

You may want to try importing them from somewhere else in Europe. I got a lot of Disney Blu Ray's at a bargain in both Belgium and Norway.

Anth0ny

Diamond now signature!

February 2016!

k2-_6a656a40-ab90-478c-bba5-6d65194fdaa8.v1.jpg

hmm

I wonder if they'll do Pinocchio

it's the only one I missed that I still want

Famassu

You may want to try importing them from somewhere else in Europe. I got a lot of Disney Blu Ray's at a bargain in both Belgium and Norway.
Those six movies only cost me 45€ combined (7,50€ per movie). Don't think I can get them much cheaper than that, at least if there's p&p fees involved. Though there might be some movies available elsewhere that aren't yet available in Finland that I might end up importing. I think Basil the Great Mouse Detective is available in the UK, might have to buy it from there at some point if it seems it won't be getting a release in Finland anytime soon.

isny

napkin dispenser
Those six movies only cost me 45€ combined (7,50€ per movie). Don't think I can get them much cheaper than that, at least if there's p&p fees involved. Though there might be some movies available elsewhere that aren't yet available in Finland that I might end up importing. I think Basil the Great Mouse Detective is available in the UK, might have to buy it from there at some point if it seems it won't be getting a release in Finland anytime soon.

Yeah that's a great deal! I think that's about what I paid each as well. When I was in Helsinki I spent time exploring the city and less time shopping, so I wasn't aware Disney Blu's were just as cheap there :)

omgkitty

Filled my Disney bluray collection a little more.

That puts me at 32 out of the 53 Disney animated movies created so far. I think I'm only missing Big Hero 6, Cinderella, Oliver & Co, Peter Pan, the original Winnie the Pooh & Robin Hood from the blurays released in Finland (non-sequels) that I have any interest in getting.

Kind of happy this years-long Disney & Pixar blu-ray collecting is finally starting to near its end, at least when it comes to the backlog of classics (& not-so-classics). All-in-all, there's probably no more than 10-12 or so Disney movies (incl. ones that haven't been released on bluray anywhere yet) that I still want in my collection.

You filled in a bunch I'm missing. I'm missing a lot of the releases between 1995 and 2010, pretty much everything between The Hunchback of Notre Dame and The Princess and the Frog, which is easily Disney's weakest period and the blu-rays they don't even bother "putting in the vault." I'm in that weird area of I own everything else they've put out, so I don't know if it's worth completing the set with a bunch of stuff I don't care about.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Alight Best Buy for $20 and free shipping led me to getting Aladdin. My first Disney bluray. I'm excited about it because I haven't seen it in AGES. I remember passing up the platinum edition DVD and regretting it when they cut printing for it. That was over 10 years ago!

Technically-Disney now, I also ordered The Wind Rises to show that masterpiece to my friend and own it before it starts skyrocketing in price.

johnsmith

remember me
Welp, set my alarm an hour late for inside out. They usually list things as PST. This time they decided to list it as my local time. Great.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Wait, they're re-releasing some of the older ones now? I missed out on the a few like Fantasia and Pinocchio back in the day...

Credo

I'm curious about this too. Pinocchio is one of the few I'm missing and I'd like to pick it up, so it'd be nice to know if I should be watching for it.

I'm curious about this too. Pinocchio is one of the few I'm missing and I'd like to pick it up, so it'd be nice to know if I should be watching for it.

Pinocchio was the last of their "Platinum Editions" before they dropped it in favor of Diamond Editions. Pinocchio Diamond Edition is coming out next year.

psychotron

Got my daughter a copy of Aladdin on Blu-Ray from Walmart today. It was only $10! It was the last copy they had. I was going to wait to give it to her until Christmas, but she really wanted it. We pull off the slip cover at home to find a slit in the plastic. Opened it up and the discs were there but someone stole the digital copy. That's the whole reason we bought it! My daughter is very young and watches things many times over. Rather than strain the disc drives on my consoles we use Vudu digital copies.

All the stores are now sold out by me, as is Walmart.com. Not to mention they'll probably never believe me. I fucking hate people.

Loxley

Got my daughter a copy of Aladdin on Blu-Ray from Walmart today. It was only $10! It was the last copy they had. I was going to wait to give it to her until Christmas, but she really wanted it. We pull off the slip cover at home to find a slit in the plastic. Opened it up and the discs were there but someone stole the digital copy. That's the whole reason we bought it! My daughter is very young and watches things many times over. Rather than strain the disc drives on my consoles we use Vudu digital copies.

All the stores are now sold out by me, as is Walmart.com. Not to mention they'll probably never believe me. I fucking hate people.

Aww that sucks. You can buy the digital SD/HD version directly on Vudu's website for $14.99/$19.99, of course that'd be in addition to the money you already spent on the blu-ray :/

Futureman

I got the digital codes for some Ghibli Blu Rays I bought.

is there some way to use the digital version on PS4? The discs are decent enough though as they let you skip right to the movie, but I think it would be nice to also have the digital version available if I wanted.

isny

napkin dispenser
I got the digital codes for some Ghibli Blu Rays I bought.

is there some way to use the digital version on PS4? The discs are decent enough though as they let you skip right to the movie, but I think it would be nice to also have the digital version available if I wanted.

Is there a Disney Movie's Anywhere app for the PS4?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Is there a Disney Movie's Anywhere app for the PS4?

Don't need one. Those work in the Vudu app after you link your DMA and Vudu accounts. (An action that used to get you a free 1080p digital copy of Wreck-It Ralph. Not sure if it still does.)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Is there anything different about them or just a straight reprint?

we don't know because they don't exist yet. pinnochio hasn't been announced for release, people just expect it to be coming, and the one re-release that has been announced, snow white, we just announced. we don't know anything about what's on it.

we don't know because they don't exist yet. pinnochio hasn't been announced for release, people just expect it to be coming, and the one re-release that has been announced, snow white, we just announced. we don't know anything about what's on it.

Wasn't sleeping beauty reprinted earlier this year? I thought maybe that was part of the different naming.

Hmm, debating whether to do the movie club. There's a lot of B-tier movies like Oliver and company and such I wouldn't mind getting and that seems like it may be the cheapest route...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Wasn't sleeping beauty reprinted earlier this year? I thought maybe that was part of the different naming.

Hmm, debating whether to do the movie club. There's a lot of B-tier movies like Oliver and company and such I wouldn't mind getting and that seems like it may be the cheapest route...

Sleeping Beauty was Platinum -> Diamond. It used the same transfer.

We don't know what Signature implies.

DMC is totally worth it if you are smart with your signup code and which titles you buy featured. If you do it right it's about $90 for 9

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Been meaning to ask, is THE Toy Story 1 & 2 Blu rays still the Special Editions? Just feels like those have been around forever and all the collections of 1,2 and 3 seem to be UK/EU based

isny

napkin dispenser
The TS 1+2 Blu Rays that were released back when TS3 was released on BR are indeed the special editions. Blu Ray, DVD and special features. These are also the re-rendered versions. They've gone back and rendered the original two films again or something along that line to make them look better using newer models.

The TS 1+2 Blu Rays that were released back when TS3 was released on BR are indeed the special editions. Blu Ray, DVD and special features. These are also the re-rendered versions. They've gone back and rendered the original two films again or something along that line to make them look better using newer models.
So all US Blu-ray versions have the rerendered models?

Theonik

I don't think they re-did the models but they are indeed rendered for 4K. Some TS1 materials look pretty bad on the BDs.

Spocker

I've got a rewards code from the Miyzaki collection. Since i'm not from the US i cant use it so as a christmas gift I'll give it away to the first one that PM's me.

EDIT: Code has been given.

Is there any way to add the digital versions of all the blu rays I've bought to the Disney movies anywhere app? I would love to have the whole collection available for my daughter, but a lot of the ones I've paid for didn't come with a digital version at the time.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Is there any way to add the digital versions of all the blu rays I've bought to the Disney movies anywhere app? I would love to have the whole collection available for my daughter, but a lot of the ones I've paid for didn't come with a digital version at the time.

Unfortunately if they didn't have a digital code, you don't own a digital version. It's pretty annoying to me too -- we're only missing 4 or 5 of the Disney+Pixar blus but only maybe 15-20% of our collection is available digitally :(

Unfortunately if they didn't have a digital code, you don't own a digital version. It's pretty annoying to me too -- we're only missing 4 or 5 of the Disney+Pixar blus but only maybe 15-20% of our collection is available digitally :(

I'm glad they've finally started to streamline their releases and having only one version of just bluray-dvd-digital copy. No more with and without digital and especially no more dvd case blu-rays (as far as I know)

fester

Banned
So I received Spirited Away on Blu-ray for Christmas this year and it didn't come with a slipcover/o-sleeve. It's really annoying because it's the only Studio Ghibli movie I have missing one. :( Is there a way to have this replaced?

Chuck

Still without luck
So I received Spirited Away on Blu-ray for Christmas this year and it didn't come with a slipcover/o-sleeve. It's really annoying because it's the only Studio Ghibli movie I have missing one. :( Is there a way to have this replaced?

ebay, or just find a store that has a copy with a sleeve, buy it, then return your copy.

FTF

I really fucked up not getting Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King on br when they were released/I had the chance...hate Disney's vault bullshit :/

Fox Mulder

I really fucked up not getting Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King on br when they were released/I had the chance...hate Disney's vault bullshit :/

Import region free copies from UK amazon. Third party sellers have them on US amazon too.

The vault sucks, but the only ones you can't just import are region locked Snow White and Pinocchio. Snow White is releasing again soon.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I saw Aladdin Diamond Edition today and while the audio and PQ were great, boy does this release feel cheap in extra features and presentation. Coming from stuff like the Beauty and the Beast BD menu where you're interactively walking around Beast's castle (with some snide remarks of Lumiere to hurry up and make a selection lol), this menu just showing some puny fireworks over Agrabah feels like a joke. Also, the fact that the Diamond in the Rough documentary (making of Aladdin) is just upscaled from the DVD release makes me worried about the quality of future Disney releases like the upcoming Snow White Signature Edition.

When streaming movies, you watch the movie you wanted and that's it. Whereas physical releases sort of "require" at least some bonus material be included with them. This is the main reason I buy movies! Sadly, the move to steaming for convenience's sake is killing a treasure trove of interviews and commentary without anyone giving a damn. Feels bad. :(

Anth0ny

Import region free copies from UK amazon. Third party sellers have them on US amazon too.

The vault sucks, but the only ones you can't just import are region locked Snow White and Pinocchio. Snow White is releasing again soon.

Pinocchio is the only movie I need to "complete" my collection. Hopefully it gets that re-release this year.

I saw Aladdin Diamond Edition today and while the audio and PQ were great, boy does this release feel cheap in extra features and presentation. Coming from stuff like the Beauty and the Beast BD menu where you're interactively walking around Beast's castle (with some snide remarks of Lumiere to hurry up and make a selection lol), this menu just showing some puny fireworks over Agrabah feels like a joke. Also, the fact that the Diamond in the Rough documentary (making of Aladdin) is just upscaled from the DVD release makes me worried about the quality of future Disney releases like the upcoming Snow White Signature Edition.

When streaming movies, you watch the movie you wanted and that's it. Whereas physical releases sort of "require" at least some bonus material be included with them. This is the main reason I buy movies! Sadly, the move to steaming for convenience's sake is killing a treasure trove of interviews and commentary without anyone giving a damn. Feels bad. :(

I feel like this is a problem with the blu ray medium at large. Everyone went HAM on bonus features with many DVD releases, and with Blu Ray bonus features it seems like no one wanted to do ANOTHER behind the scenes documentary that covers mostly the same ground as the DVD. So you end up with a lot of DVD bonus feature recycling, mostly in SD :(

Lime

I have a a Movie Rewards code that came with my Miyazaki set that I'm not going to use (I'm not even sure what it does). So for anyone interested, PM me for the free code

EDIT: Gone to XShagrath

Top Bottom