• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

NR1

FYI, The BFG is getting a 3D release in Europe, but it's not being distributed by Disney, so it is unknown if it will be region-free like The Jungle Book and Alice Through the Looking Glass-- both Disney distributed. BFG is being released by Entertainment One.

51F7221C-889A-4A48-B534-936CB93779A2.jpeg

Currently £19.99 on Amazon.co.uk-- about $24.60 USD.

Pinocchio January 31, 2017.

103613_large.jpg

Pinocchio is presented in 1080p with DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 surround. Extras include:

-Walt's Story Meetings: Pleasure Island – The Pleasure Island scene in "Pinocchio" had much more development than what is seen in the film. Join Pixar's Pete Docter and Disney historian and author J.B. Kaufman as they explore artwork recently discovered in Disney's animation research library revealing some of the attractions, gags and games, which Disney animators created for this iconic location of the film, that never made it on screen.
In Walt's Words – "Pinocchio" – Hear Walt himself discuss the making of "Pinocchio" through archival recordings and interviews.

-The Pinocchio Project: "When You Wish Upon a Star" – Music influencers Alex G, Tanner Patrick and JR Aquino from Disney's Maker Studios, a global leader in short-form videos, gather in a creative workspace to create their rendition of the film's signature song, "When You Wish Upon a Star," and produce a fresh new music video.

-Oswald the Lucky Rabbit in "Poor Papa" – This recently restored and scored 1927 short features Oswald the Lucky Rabbit who gets multiple visits from the stork and is forced to attempt various methods to help stop the onslaught of baby deliveries.

Classic Bonus Features – These offerings from prior home entertainment releases include hours of bonus material, such as the making of "Pinocchio," deleted scenes, sing-alongs, storyboards and theatrical trailers.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=20274

The 12.99 Best Buy discount for that special edition Dory Blu-Ray combo pack is pretty decent, and enjoyed the movie far more than I thought in the theatre.

Yay for Cleveland shoutouts. :)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm glad Disney is unvaulting and reissuing stuff, but it's pretty dispriting if, like me, your collection is totally done and you're just thumb-twiddling waiting for Black Cauldron and the package films.

FYI, The BFG is getting a 3D release in Europe, but it's not being distributed by Disney, so it is unknown if it will be region-free like The Jungle Book and Alice Through the Looking Glass-- both Disney distributed. BFG is being released by Entertainment One.

Entertainment One region locks their releases unfortunately.

Credo

I'm glad Disney is unvaulting and reissuing stuff, but it's pretty dispriting if, like me, your collection is totally done and you're just thumb-twiddling waiting for Black Cauldron and the package films.

Do you think there's any chance we ever get Blu-Rays for Saludos Amigos, The Three Caballeros, Make Mine Music, and Melody Time? I've almost given up on those and am about ready to just get the DVDs. Other than those, I just need Fantasia and Cauldron and I think I'm done for good. I've kind of lost my enthusiasm for buying new films.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Do you think there's any chance we ever get Blu-Rays for Saludos Amigos, The Three Caballeros, Make Mine Music, and Melody Time? I've almost given up on those and am about ready to just get the DVDs. Other than those, I just need Fantasia and Cauldron and I think I'm done for good. I've kind of lost my enthusiasm for buying new films.

I have no idea. They've done remasters for stuff for the digital versions, so I'd like to believe they'd figure out a way to make it happen, maybe DMC or DMR-only. Who knows. I'm in the bargaining phase :(

Credo

I have no idea. They've done remasters for stuff for the digital versions, so I'd like to believe they'd figure out a way to make it happen, maybe DMC or DMR-only. Who knows. I'm in the bargaining phase :(

I'm at the point where I can wait a little longer to see if any announcements are made, but I also don't want to wait too long for fear that prices on the DVDs I need will rise as more people realize the Blu-Rays are never coming. I'm fairly certain Blu-Ray is going to be the final physical format I collect for not just Disney movies but all movies.

Fox Mulder

Thats never coming out.

Disney really should care more about their history. We'll never get stuff like the Walt Disney Treasures today.

omgkitty

Thats never coming out.

Disney really should care more about their history. We'll never get stuff like the Walt Disney Treasures today.

At this point, I'd take a streaming service with everything Disney has done. Like just throw that shit up somewhere. All the old shorts, and the Disneyland stuff...man that would be amazing. WB needs to do the same thing with Looney Tunes.
Yes, I understand this will never happen because like 4 people would care about it, but you know these companies have to have this stuff digitized on a server somewhere being absolutely useless.

Great... just great.

I have 6 Disney Classics Blu rays left to complete my collection, and until recently they've all been stupidly expensive (£17.99 for Hunchback!?!!).

Now I find that all 6 are in a massive HMV offer (3 for £25, or 3 3D for £30 on basically all Disney/Pixar/Marvel movies).

I'm £50 away from completing my son's education, and I still haven't finished getting all the Christmas presents yet. Even more worse, I'm going to be spitting distance from my closest HMV on Sunday.

It's gonna take a TON of restraint to avoid the place!

Only movies I have left are all ones that NEVER appear in the bi-yearly Disney BOGOF:

Basil The Great Mouse Detective
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Atlantis: The Lost Empire
Treasure Planet
Home On The Range
Brother Bear

I'm so close!!! *sob*

Link if anyone's interested

http://store.hmv.com/disney/disney-multi-buy-all-titles

mjc

Couple of questions about the movie club:

Is it easy to decline out of the monthly specials thing? And do the movies they send out have slipcases on them still?

I've never signed up for the club in the past but it seems like a decent deal.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Is it easy to decline out of the monthly specials thing? And do the movies they send out have slipcases on them still?

Yes, very easy; you get an email notification, it takes less than a minute to say no, and they notify you well before the deadline. As for the slipcases, the monthly feature titles generally do because typically the offer is a pre-order. But other stuff that you order is hit and miss. I would say the newer the titles you're ordering, the better your chances are. But if you order Robin Hood, Sword and the Stone, Hunchback, etc you're probably hosed. Also please note that a few of the initial Disney Blu-Ray releases like Dinosaur and I believe Chicken Little never had slipcases to begin with. Disney used to have a service where you could call and pay a token fee for replacement slipcases (called "o-rings") but I believe it's discontinued.

Signing up for the club is a decent deal if:
1) You use the best possible sign-up discount instead of the default offer. I believe the code in the OP is up to date, but in case it's not, check the blu-ray.com DMC thread for the most recent code.
2) You wait for stuff you actually want or for bundled monthly featured deals to maximize what you get for your mandatory full price purchases
3) You cancel once you've completed your commitment (there is almost never a case where it costs less to buy stuff full-price from DMC than from Amazon, so as soon as you've finished your commitment you should quit)

I've been through I think 3 or 4 full cycles and it's been great for building my collection.

Yes, very easy; you get an email notification, it takes less than a minute to say no, and they notify you well before the deadline. As for the slipcases, the monthly feature titles generally do because typically the offer is a pre-order. But other stuff that you order is hit and miss. I would say the newer the titles you're ordering, the better your chances are. But if you order Robin Hood, Sword and the Stone, Hunchback, etc you're probably hosed. Also please note that a few of the initial Disney Blu-Ray releases like Dinosaur and I believe Chicken Little never had slipcases to begin with. Disney used to have a service where you could call and pay a token fee for replacement slipcases (called "o-rings") but I believe it's discontinued.

Signing up for the club is a decent deal if:
1) You use the best possible sign-up discount instead of the default offer. I believe the code in the OP is up to date, but in case it's not, check the blu-ray.com DMC thread for the most recent code.
2) You wait for stuff you actually want or for bundled monthly featured deals to maximize what you get for your mandatory full price purchases
3) You cancel once you've completed your commitment (there is almost never a case where it costs less to buy stuff full-price from DMC than from Amazon, so as soon as you've finished your commitment you should quit)

I've been through I think 3 or 4 full cycles and it's been great for building my collection.

Great advice here.

I've built most of my collection through DMC, paying around $10 a blu-ray

Credo

Can anyone tell me how to cancel a membership? I called them, entered my membership number, and then went through every conceivable menu and submenu they offered by pressing all the different numbers. I finally found one that said, "to speak with a cast member, remain on the line," so I stayed on the line and listened to the voice repeat all the options 3 times, and then they disconnected my call. I'm beginning to get agitated.

Edit: Finally got it done through the chat on their website. Thankfully, it was as simple as can be.

NR1

51F7221C-889A-4A48-B534-936CB93779A2.jpeg

Entertainment One region locks their releases unfortunately.

My copy arrived from Amazon.co.uk and I can confirm 100% that this is region-locked to Region B. No go for North Americans, unless they have a region-free player.

Credo

Not Disney per se, but we post Ghibli stuff in here anyway:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1325290
- My Neighbors the Yamadas getting a theatrical showing this Christmas based on a new 4K transfer, distributed by GKids.
- Coming to blu this spring.
- Only My Neighbors The Yamadas left to get a US blu release.

And right after I bought it on DVD a month ago because I was convinced it would never come to Blu Ray.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
And right after I bought it on DVD a month ago because I was convinced it would never come to Blu Ray.

Err, just in case I confused you with my typo in the original post, it's Ocean Waves, not My Neighbors the Yamadas, that's getting the release. I was multitasking and typed the wrong thing in the first line, durr.

Credo

Err, just in case I confused you with my typo in the original post, it's Ocean Waves, not My Neighbors the Yamadas, that's getting the release. I was multitasking and typed the wrong thing in the first line, durr.

No worries. I hadn't had time to list my DVD copy of Yamadas yet!

isny

napkin dispenser
Great... just great.

I have 6 Disney Classics Blu rays left to complete my collection, and until recently they've all been stupidly expensive (£17.99 for Hunchback!?!!).

Now I find that all 6 are in a massive HMV offer (3 for £25, or 3 3D for £30 on basically all Disney/Pixar/Marvel movies).

I'm £50 away from completing my son's education, and I still haven't finished getting all the Christmas presents yet. Even more worse, I'm going to be spitting distance from my closest HMV on Sunday.

It's gonna take a TON of restraint to avoid the place!

Only movies I have left are all ones that NEVER appear in the bi-yearly Disney BOGOF:

Basil The Great Mouse Detective
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Atlantis: The Lost Empire
Treasure Planet
Home On The Range
Brother Bear

I'm so close!!! *sob*

Link if anyone's interested

http://store.hmv.com/disney/disney-multi-buy-all-titles

Ironically these titles are typically dirt cheap here in North America, lol

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Is there anything special about the "signature series" if you already have the bluray?

They're re-releases with the same transfers and generally the same special features (minus the BD-Live stuff which was turned off anyway). I wouldn't re-buy unless you love the packaging or you're trying to swap out a DVD case for a Blu-Ray case or get a digital code.

They're re-releases with the same transfers and generally the same special features (minus the BD-Live stuff which was turned off anyway). I wouldn't re-buy unless you love the packaging or you're trying to swap out a DVD case for a Blu-Ray case or get a digital code.

It seems like they're exclusively release Oswald cartoons that way too. :( Still not worth it but that might be the only thing that could push me if everything else is the same.

jett

D-Member
Not a big fan of Cinderella myself, but I didn't know it was yet another movie destroyed by Disney's awful "remastering" process.

While not as bad as the absolute crime that is stuff like Robin Hood and The Sword in the Stone...

GHTrqVl.jpg

(puke)

...still pretty bad. Who's in charge of this crap?

Shiv47

Not sure anyone here is interested, but Amazon has the Taschen-published "Walt Disney Film Archive" on sale right now for $107; it's usually $150+ normally. If you haven't seen Taschen's archive series, they're huge (12x18) books about a given topic (design work, pre-production materials, etc). They've done Kubrick, Bergman, and Chaplin along with the Disney volume. This one covers 1921-68, with chapters on each film.

omgkitty

Not sure anyone here is interested, but Amazon has the Taschen-published "Walt Disney Film Archive" on sale right now for $107; it's usually $150+ normally. If you haven't seen Taschen's archive series, they're huge (12x18) books about a given topic (design work, pre-production materials, etc). They've done Kubrick, Bergman, and Chaplin along with the Disney volume. This one covers 1921-68, with chapters on each film.

I own it and it is gorgeous. Absolutely recommended.

Credo

Don't know if you guys knew but Best Buy is going to have a special lenticular cover for Pinocchio.

5709184_sa.jpg;maxHeight=550;maxWidth=642

What sites have Pinocchio up for preorder? It's just been a placeholder page on Amazon for months now, and I was hoping to get it on there, but I may go with Best Buy just for the cover.

What places have Pinocchio up for preorder? It's just been a placeholder page on Amazon for months now, and I was hoping to get it on there, but I may go with Best Buy just for the cover.

Yeah Amazon is being weird but Best Buy is up. Target may be up too they have their own exclusive storybook edition too.

Credo

I like the look of the storybook, but since every other Disney Blu-ray I have is just the standard case, with or without slip cover, I guess I'll just go with Best Buy's for consistency.

I just watched Aladdin on Blu-ray and I thought it looked great. Did that movie have any bad remastering that I might have missed?

I'm no expert but I don't think so. Since all the CAPS films were processed digitally in the first place they don't have to do all of the DNR stuff they do to the older films. As for like anything like audio problems or things of the sort I have no clue but it seemed great to me. If anything I said is wrong please correct me.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I just watched Aladdin on Blu-ray and I thought it looked great. Did that movie have any bad remastering that I might have missed?

It's mostly the Xerox era films (i.e. the ones with thick, scratchy lines) that got the worst of the treatment. Roughly from 101 Dalmatians / Sword in the Stone to Robin Hood / Winnie the Pooh. There are a few other bad and average transfers outside the Xerox era but those films are the worst.

I hate these new covers that are coming out. Pixar and the signature collection with the single character covers just look boring and awful. I was excited to get the new copy of Mulan for the digital code, but I'm rather mad at myself for giving up my first copy. Pinocchio is one that I did not get on the first go around. There was another release at the same time that I was more interested in and got that one instead. I also have snow white from the signature release.

I did get a five movie order from DMC with Pollyanna, Mulan, Queen of Katawa, and I forget what else. I'm really interested in the Katawa movie. The preview on the movie app looked really good.

There is a video game store that has a huge collection of Disney Blu rays and I did get him to sell me the slip covers to several movies for cheap, but he also has several first release blu ray copies that I want. I just can't justify the cost. The one I want the most is Toy Story one with the first artwork to match 2 & 3.

Any opinions on the live action movies? I've never watched a single one. Alice in Wonderland, Maleficent, Cinderella, The Jungle Book, BFG, but Emma as Beauty has me interested now. Not sure if I want to open that can of worms.

Magnus

Bambi's in the vault, eh? Picked it up on a whim back when it was released for only $20 and decided I don't actually care for the film. This is probably the optimal time to sell it, eh?

edit- dp, sorry

So.... Best Buy is releasing a steel cover for Moana and I totally want it, but it'll totally ruin the look of my collection of slip covers. I'm torn about ordering one from DMC and getting the free pin, plus getting two additional movies for $10 a piece. But I also have a $25 certificate for best buy.

So Moana 3D in steel case for $7 OOP.
Or Moana with free pin, Lilo and Stitch, and Atlantis for $50.

Credo

It irks me to this day that I don't have all the slipcovers, but I'm nowhere close to having a complete collection of them, so I've given up on it I guess. I'm missing somewhere around 20 of them. If I were completely obsessive, I guess I could go on eBay and pay $15-20 more than I should for copies with the covers and then sell them back, but I imagine I'd end up costing myself well over $100 by the time I was finished.

Top Bottom