• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Acid08

Banned
I just went from level 4 to 7 from sleeping :lol . I feel dumb haha. Is there anyway to get more Magicka quickly? I went up those 3 levels and it only went from 90 to 94 capacity. I'm doing the Mages Guild stuff right now btw.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Acid08 said:
I just went from level 4 to 7 from sleeping :lol . I feel dumb haha. Is there anyway to get more Magicka quickly? I went up those 3 levels and it only went from 90 to 94 capacity. I'm doing the Mages Guild stuff right now btw.

Sounds like you leveled up and didn't sleep, kept racking up experience and then finally slept :lol

Also, I believe its Intelligence? That effects Magicka points but putting points into Intelligence builds it up very slowly, usually magic users tailor their characters with lots of Magicka from the outset. If you're trying to be a Spellsword (Swordsman / Spellcaster), the tradeoff is usually having just enough Magicka to cast mid level spells and enough to cast one big spell (when you become stronger).

onken

Acid08 said:
I'm 27 hours in and god I'm addicted. It's insane. I still don't get the actual leveling system though. I go for long stretches without gaining a level, sleep, then suddenly gain a level. right after i wake up, sleep again, and gain another level. I was able to do this twice in a row. I'm at level 4 and I feel underleveled for the amount of time I've put into the game.

lol level 4 after 27 hours? You must have fucked up your skill selections bad. You have 7 "major" skills, which increase the more you use them. If you level up any combination of your major skills 10 times then you can gain an overall level by sleeping. Each skill (major and minor) has a governing attribute (strength, intelligence etc.) and for every 2 skill levels you go up, that gives you 1 potential point to put into the associated governing attribute upon levelling up. e.g. if if blade is my one of my major skills and I level it up 10 times, then I will gain an overall level and get to increase the blade governing attribute (strength) by 5 points when I level up.

e~ between every level make sure you purchase training for useful non-major skills that level up slowly (alchemy, armorer etc.) You can only do this 5 times a level so make sure to take advantage of it, NEVER just level twice in a row without getting your training in.

Acid08

Banned
So I've done all the recommendation quests for the Mages Guild....but the quest isn't updating. I even did the Bravil one twice so I'm not sure what's happening. Is my game fucked?

Acid08 said:
So I've done all the recommendation quests for the Mages Guild....but the quest isn't updating. I even did the Bravil one twice so I'm not sure what's happening. Is my game fucked?

Have you spoken to the guy in the Arcane University lobby? I think he unlocks the university once you've done all the recommendation quests, I've not done it for a while so correct me if I'm wrong.

ronito

Acid08 said:
I had the same problem, turns out I had forgotten a city.

Acid08

Banned
ronito said:
I had the same problem, turns out I had forgotten a city.
I ended up doing 3 of the quests twice and then it finally unlocked. I had done all of them before but they didn't show up in my completed quests for some reason.

onken

Acid08 said:
I ended up doing 3 of the quests twice and then it finally unlocked. I had done all of them before but they didn't show up in my completed quests for some reason.

How do you even do the same quests twice? Surely once it's done then you can't talk to the relevant person about it again.

Crye

onken said:
If you're looking for a good laugh or simply want to despair at the human race then I highly recommend the following article from the Oblivion wiki:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Roleplaying
Anyone looking to RP (or just enhance gameplay experience tbh) theres also a good thread on immersion mods.
http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=983734

Many things like you must eat and sleep or you get weaker, traders on the roads, disabled fast travel, guard overhauls, stealth system, a game economy, gold weight and banks, alternate starts, delivery jobs, UI replacements, more deadly diseases, better guilds(reputation, certification tests etc), journals where you can write in books, sound packs, etc. RP may be about imagination but these mods only help!

Acid08

Banned
Is there anyway to drain Soul Gems but still keep the empty gem? I'm doing the vampire cure quests right now and have to get 5 empty Grand Soul Gems. I just did a quest where I got 4 as a reward but they aren't empty.

BlueTsunami

Acid08 said:
Is there anyway to drain Soul Gems but still keep the empty gem? I'm doing the vampire cure quests right now and have to get 5 empty Grand Soul Gems. I just did a quest where I got 4 as a reward but they aren't empty.

There's an item that does this but only one (and it holds a Grand Soul). With that said, Grand Soul Gems cost pennies when you've gotten farther into the game (and start finding the higher tier gear to sell).

Hyunkel6

Acid08 said:

Most vendors in any mage guild will sell you one.

Kaervas

Banned
A doubt regarding guard behaviour.

So I broke inside a weapon store in the imperial city. I hang arround a little inside the store, always sneaking and picking some stuff when suddenly out of fucking nowhere a guard barges in and arrests me.

Now, I made sure no one was watching me, so where did this guard came from? :/

Asmodai

Banned
Kaervas said:
A doubt regarding guard behaviour.

So I broke inside a weapon store in the imperial city. I hang arround a little inside the store, always sneaking and picking some stuff when suddenly out of fucking nowhere a guard barges in and arrests me.

Now, I made sure no one was watching me, so where did this guard came from? :/

:lol That comment was made about ten thousand times over three years ago. It's extremely common Oblivion behavior, the "psychic guard" syndrome.

If you have the game on PC, there are mods that deal with it. Or claim to deal with it, at least.

Unfortunately, in the vanilla game, if a guard is walking relatively near where you are, even if he can't see you, you're very likely to be detected.

onken

Well I guess I finally "finished" Oblivion. No mods, 300k gold, level 40, all houses owned, all quests complete, time was 134:01:11, 278 game days. I miss it already :(

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
How did you get all that money? I finished all the factions in the game and still didn't have enough money to buy all the houses.

Cheech

DimmuBurgerKing said:
The only thing I haven't done is the Knights of the Nine. Anyone care to comment on whether it's worth doing?

It's not the best DLC ever, but it's pretty good.

I need to go back and replay this game with a new character. Maybe after I finally finish all the Fallout DLC. :lol

onken

tehvampire said:
Plus all the expansions?

Yup. Though in all fairness I gave up the nirnroot quest after 29, I could've used a walkthrough for the rest but, eh, what's the point?

Zoso said:
How did you get all that money? I finished all the factions in the game and still didn't have enough money to buy all the houses.

Looting corpses, mostly. I had 630 carry capacity by the end (without feather) so could carry a lot of stuff. The Blackwood quests were pretty good for money, as were oblivion gates, (those daedric boots/greaves have a good gold/weight ratio). I literally never used scrolls/potions so I'd always sell those too. Every now and then I'd go mad on alchemy and use up all my ingredients into random potions and sell everything I made. It all adds up!

AkuMifune

Banned
I'm playing through the Shivering Isles again, and man, a lot of people like to rag on Bethesda for poor dialogue, but they obviously never encountered Sheogorath.

1. I once dug a pit and filled it with clouds....or was it clowns.... well whichever it was it began to smell...Ahah! must have been clowns. Clouds don't smell, they taste of butter. And tears.

2. Wonderful! Time for a celebration... Cheese for everyone! Wait, scratch that. Cheese for no one. I suppose that can be just as much of a celebration if you don't like cheese, true?

3. I'm so happy I could just tear out your intestines and strangle you with them!

4. You're making my teeth itch!

:lol Brilliant.

So I'm thinking about finally going back through Oblivion on 360 and was wondering if anybody had tried downloading the disc onto their HDD and how much the load times improved?

I'm thinking about wiping my old old save and starting fresh and the idea of a quick-loading Oblivion romp has made me excited to get back into it.

ACE 1991

I'm currently just starting to play through the PS3 GotY version, after never playing oblivion before. Wow, this game is still awesome. I have a question, however. Since enemies scale according to your level, is it okay to start tackling some of the guild quests? I've heard they're one of the best parts of the game, but I wondered if I should level up first.

corpserot

AkuMifune said:
I'm playing through the Shivering Isles again, and man, a lot of people like to rag on Bethesda for poor dialogue, but they obviously never encountered Sheogorath.

1. I once dug a pit and filled it with clouds....or was it clowns.... well whichever it was it began to smell...Ahah! must have been clowns. Clouds don't smell, they taste of butter. And tears.

2. Wonderful! Time for a celebration... Cheese for everyone! Wait, scratch that. Cheese for no one. I suppose that can be just as much of a celebration if you don't like cheese, true?

3. I'm so happy I could just tear out your intestines and strangle you with them!

4. You're making my teeth itch!

:lol Brilliant.

I liked Shivering Isles more than anything else Bethesda has ever done. Such a perfect expansion.

BlueTsunami

ACE 1991 said:
I'm currently just starting to play through the PS3 GotY version, after never playing oblivion before. Wow, this game is still awesome. I have a question, however. Since enemies scale according to your level, is it okay to start tackling some of the guild quests? I've heard they're one of the best parts of the game, but I wondered if I should level up first.

A word of warning: Do not become a Vampire if you do not wish to be one for the rest of the game (its a bug with the PS3 game). So if you end up getting Porphyric Hemophilia, cure it before it turns into full blown AIDS I mean Vampirism.

ACE 1991

BlueTsunami said:
A word of warning: Do not become a Vampire if you do not wish to be one for the rest of the game (its a bug with the PS3 game). So if you end up getting Porphyric Hemophilia, cure it before it turns into full blown AIDS I mean Vampirism.

Yup, you're the second gaffer to warn me of this so I'll be sure not to turn vampire. Any answer to my original question though?

BlueTsunami

ACE 1991 said:
Yup, you're the second gaffer to warn me of this so I'll be sure not to turn vampire. Any answer to my original question though?

The way the enemy leveling works, doing guild quests should be fine. The best thing to do is build up some cash then level so you can buy new equipment that comes with leveling. Just dont' over level without keeping your equipment up to date.

ACE 1991

BlueTsunami said:
The way the enemy leveling works, doing guild quests should be fine. The best thing to do is build up some cash then level so you can buy new equipment that comes with leveling. Just dont' over level without keeping your equipment up to date.

Okay, thanks for the tip. I've heard so many things about the dark brotherhood quest line.. Think I'll start with that.

bengraven

Another nice thing to do is the Arena quest line first. It starts you off with a lot of cash and armor for the rest of the game.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The Arena is a good diversion, but you'll probably get slaughtered on the later parts if you're @ level 1. You could turn the difficulty down, though, if that doesn't bother you.

Solo

onken said:
If you're looking for a good laugh or simply want to despair at the human race then I highly recommend the following article from the Oblivion wiki:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Roleplaying

I only got this far before I simultaneously wept for humanity and burst out laughing.

Traveling
Slow down! You don't need to run/jump everywhere. Take a walk in the forests, pray at the chapel and relax.
Only travel in good weather. And if you must travel when it is raining, wear a hood and robe, or fur armor if it's snowing, as if to protect yourself from the elements. If you have to travel in rain, run or find a camp or cave to wait out the storm.
Spend nights in inns or taverns. If you are caught in the wilderness at night, stop by the side of road as if you were camping for the night.

:lol Who the fuck actually plays like this? WELP, ITS GETTING DARK, BETTER SETTLE DOWN FOR THE NIGHT AND PRAY AT THE CHAPEL

ACE 1991

Snuggler said:
The Arena is a good diversion, but you'll probably get slaughtered on the later parts if you're @ level 1. You could turn the difficulty down, though, if that doesn't bother you.

Hmmm... Maybe I'll just try my hand at the dark brotherhood line, and see where that gets me.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Solo said:
I only got this far before I simultaneously wept for humanity and burst out laughing.

[edit] Sleeping
Sleep in a home appropriate for your role. If you can't afford a house (or do not want one), rent a room at an inn or find a bedroll. Also, rent a room when you are visiting a city.
Put your armor in the cupboards, put your sword on the bed next to you, etc, before you sleep. Why go to bed wearing metal armor pajamas?
Place a drink or a book on the bedside table.
Given that most people don't have supernatural attention spans, try not to wait for long periods of time all at once, unless there is a good reason (e.g., you're spying on someone).
Have a pair of pajamas that you change into at night like shirt and pants
Read a book before going to bed, like you fell asleep reading
Make a damage fatigue 100 points for 2 seconds on self spell for when you go to bed, stand on your bed and use it (usually twice for high level characters), this will knock you out and then you can press Sleep or Wait and when the Wait or Sleep screen ends you will get up.
To make this more realistic, you can drink a lot of mead or wine and then cast the spell. Then it will look like you passed out from getting drunk!

......:lol

bengraven

ACE 1991 said:
Really? cool. Is it fine at level one?

Crank the difficulty down or save after each fight.

If your main 7 talents are combat oriented or at least a few of them are, you should be okay.

That said, maybe wander around a bit before you do the arena.

HOWEVER, if you JOIN the arena, even if you don't partake right away, you're given some starter gear. ;)

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Arena_Combatants#Arena_Raiments

Solo said:

:lol Who the fuck actually plays like this? WELP, ITS GETTING DARK, BETTER SETTLE DOWN FOR THE NIGHT AND PRAY AT THE CHAPEL

I don't mean to be a dick, because I really had a good time in the early half of this thread when I was in this thread quite a bit and liked everyone.

But I remember someone who was completely finished with everything basically explaining how he killed his character to let the game go. I remember demi was shocked by the geekiness of his roleplaying. :lol

ACE 1991

bengraven said:
Crank the difficulty down or save after each fight.

If your main 7 talents are combat oriented or at least a few of them are, you should be okay.

That said, maybe wander around a bit before you do the arena.

HOWEVER, if you JOIN the arena, even if you don't partake right away, you're given some starter gear. ;)

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Arena_Combatants#Arena_Raiments

Okay. I am playing as a knight, so I'm certainly melee combat oriented.

bengraven

ACE 1991 said:
Okay. I am playing as a knight, so I'm certainly melee combat oriented.

Just try it out, make sure to save. If you fail, at least you will have a heavy rainment to help out early in the game.

Edit: it's worth 0. Sorry, I thought it was like 500g to sell.

ACE 1991

bengraven said:
Just try it out. If you fail, at least you will have a heavy rainment to help out early in the game. And you can sell it for good $$$$ if I remember correctly.

Okay, I'll give it a shot tonight. Thanks for the tips.

bengraven

ACE 1991 said:
Okay, I'll give it a shot tonight. Thanks for the tips.

The Dark Brotherhood quest is amazing as others have told you as well. You won't get a lot of gear of benefit if you're playing a knight type character, but I believe the knight has a speechcraft bonus which will help out in at least one majorly fuck-awesome quest. (think Murder, She Wrote)

Solo

bengraven said:
I don't mean to be a dick, because I really had a good time in the early half of this thread when I was in this thread quite a bit and liked everyone.

But I remember someone who was completely finished with everything basically explaining how he killed his character to let the game go. I remember demi was shocked by the geekiness of his roleplaying. :lol

Oh man, you need to link this :lol

ACE 1991

bengraven said:
The Dark Brotherhood quest is amazing as others have told you as well. You won't get a lot of gear of benefit if you're playing a knight type character, but I believe the knight has a speechcraft bonus which will help out in at least one majorly fuck-awesome quest. (think Murder, She Wrote)

Awesome! Also, what other quests (single or lines) are of similar must play status?

Solo

ACE 1991 said:
Awesome! Also, what other quests (single or lines) are of similar must play status?

Thats the only one. All other guilds and questlines suck and are pretty much identical. Go here, kill this, Go there, get that.

Solo

ACE 1991 said:
If that's true, why play anything else in the game? :lol

A question I asked myself many times. Fallout 3 was a much better and much more satisfying rendition of a Bethesda RPG.

bengraven

ACE 1991 said:
If that's true, why play anything else in the game? :lol

It's not true.

Try the settlement quests.

Find the daedra shrine quests, ESPECIALLY Sheogoraths.
flaming dogs

Do the quest to get the house in Anvil. It's only 5000 drakes and actually worth much more compared to the other houses in the game. You'll find out why it's only 5000 and get one of the most satisfying quests in the game. You can even do it alongside the DB quests that end up taking you to that part of the world.

Solo said:
Oh man, you need to link this :lol

Doesn't exist anymore. :lol I did a search for it and the poster had erased it after being harassed by demi. Demi was such a blight on this thread. :lol

"<poster> just go LARP or something, that post crossed the line at least twenty times."

I'm not going to post the original poster because I liked him. :D

Top Bottom