• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
HiResDes said:
Heavy armored melee guys are probably the easiest to play, but if you get your stealth up with any rogue type character you'll be truly unstoppable.

That's the thing, though. I don't like stealth games or gameplay much. Looking at the classes, these look promising. Anybody have any feedback on using these classes?

Archer

A marksman, adept at combat at great distances. Able to take down most foes before they have a chance to draw sword.
Archer
Specialization: Combat
Attributes: Agility, Strength
Skills: Armorer
Blade
Blunt
Hand to Hand
Light Armor
Marksman
Sneak

Witchhunter

Swift on foot, and clever with spells, they use distance as their ally. Slower adversaries are fodder for their arrows.
Witchhunter
Specialization: Magic
Attributes: Agility, Intelligence
Skills: Alchemy
Athletics
Conjuration
Destruction
Marksman
Mysticism
Security

Rogue

They use speed in combat rather than brute force. Persuasive in conversation, their tongues are as sharp as blades.
Rogue
Specialization: Combat
Attributes: Personality, Speed
Skills: Alchemy
Athletics
Blade
Block
Illusion
Light Armor
Mercantile

HiResDes

Guileless said:
That's the thing, though. I don't like stealth games or gameplay much. Looking at the classes, these look promising. Anybody have any feedback on using these classes?
Sounds to me like you've already made your decision if you don't want to be a mage, you don't want to stick to melee, and you don't want to be a stealthy rogue...I don't even understand why you're asking if you've already narrowed it down...Oblivion is forgiving enough that you can get away with just sticking to archery, although it is probably the weakest thing in the game.

Tmac

Damm i became a vampire without even noticing. Now i'm a big blood sucker lol...

Of course i had to google a bit to understand what was going on but 'im still a bit clueless, maybe GAF can help me.

How bad is vampirism? Feeding, night travelling... didnt sound fun at all... Whats the concensus? Should i do the lenghty quest?

And thats the other issue, all i read was bugs, bugs and more bugs on that quest. Bloody hell. Does anyone knows if the xbox GOTY version is still bugged?

EDIT: Btw, after the fist dream/second it means you already a vampire or there is (maybe) still time to cure on a chapel?

Tmac

I just found out i shouldnt give away the AZURA'S STAR!

I have an older savegame in my xbox... Is it worth to re-do about 3 hours of gameplay to keep the star?

Razorskin

----- ------
Tmac said:
I just found out i shouldnt give away the AZURA'S STAR!

I have an older savegame in my xbox... Is it worth to re-do about 3 hours of gameplay to keep the star?

YES, it is crucial if you have enchanted weapons, unless you want to use soul gems and have to constantly find or buy more.

Tmac

I dont use much (but my character is a warrior)... guess later in the game they'll become important right?

I better redo i guess.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Megabump!

I just saw the Oblivion complete package on Steam today for just under 9 bucks. Damn. I'm considering grabbing this now, but am curious: can anyone help me decide what the best of the user mods are for PC oblivion? I'm mainly interested in two things: unofficial bugfix patches and texture updates for the aesthetics.

I haven't been in PC game modding in a while so am not sure where to start.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Is it true that Steam version is harder to mod?

Also, how come the altars in chapels dedicated for the gods won't work even though I have already made my pilgrimage?

Ledsen

Kaijima said:
Megabump!

I just saw the Oblivion complete package on Steam today for just under 9 bucks. Damn. I'm considering grabbing this now, but am curious: can anyone help me decide what the best of the user mods are for PC oblivion? I'm mainly interested in two things: unofficial bugfix patches and texture updates for the aesthetics.

I haven't been in PC game modding in a while so am not sure where to start.

I recently modded the shit out of my game with the same goal as you: nicer graphics and fixes without changing too much (of course later I added OOO and Unique Landscapes, but you don't have to use those). Here is a quite comprehensive list of such mods I've found and currently use in my game (in the order I would advice you to install them)

-Unofficial Oblivion Patch
-Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch
-Qarls Texture Pack 3
-QTP3 UOP Compatibility Patch
-QTP3 optimized meshes
-Bomret Shivering Isles Texture Pack
-Mikal33 Improved Textures ( http://www.tesnexus.com/modules/members/index.php?id=153868 , download everything you want although I personally don't use his city packs)
-Animated Window Lightning System
-HG Eyecandy Body
-4096X4096 Normal Map-2048X2048 Border Regions-LOD_OMOD
-Darnified UI
-Koldorn LOD Noise Replacer
-Low-Poly Grass (only if you feel you're getting low fps in grassy areas)
-Enhanced Water 2.0
-All Natural
-BookJackets Oblivion
-Storms and Sounds

One thing that can not be overstated is that when dealing with mods, ALWAYS READ THE ENTIRE README!!! Some mods require special installation procedures and if you don't follow them they might not work as intended or even break your game. This is not a problem as long as you... you guessed it... read the readme ;D Also please download and use Oblivion Mod Manager, it will make modding A LOT easier. Nowadays serious modders prefer Wrye Bash for managing mods, but it's super complicated in comparison and very scary if you're new to modding. But if you're up to the challenge, by all means try it instead of OBMM. Also you should download Oblivion Script Extender (see below) because some mods require it.

Ookami-kun said:
Is it true that Steam version is harder to mod?

Also, how come the altars in chapels dedicated for the gods won't work even though I have already made my pilgrimage?

No it's not true, it's the same as modding normal Oblivion except that if you use Oblivion Script Extender (an external program enabling more advanced mods) you need to download a different version that works with Steam.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Ledsen said:
I recently modded the shit out of my game with the same goal as you: nicer graphics and fixes without changing too much (of course later I added OOO and Unique Landscapes, but you don't have to use those). Here is a quite comprehensive list of such mods I've found and currently use in my game (in the order I would advice you to install them)

-Unofficial Oblivion Patch
-Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch
-Qarls Texture Pack 3
-QTP3 UOP Compatibility Patch
-QTP3 optimized meshes
-Bomret Shivering Isles Texture Pack
-Mikal33 Improved Textures ( http://www.tesnexus.com/modules/members/index.php?id=153868 , download everything you want although I personally don't use his city packs)
-Animated Window Lightning System
-HG Eyecandy Body
-4096X4096 Normal Map-2048X2048 Border Regions-LOD_OMOD
-Darnified UI
-Koldorn LOD Noise Replacer
-Low-Poly Grass (only if you feel you're getting low fps in grassy areas)
-Enhanced Water 2.0
-All Natural
-BookJackets Oblivion
-Storms and Sounds

One thing that can not be overstated is that when dealing with mods, ALWAYS READ THE ENTIRE README!!! Some mods require special installation procedures and if you don't follow them they might not work as intended or even break your game. This is not a problem as long as you... you guessed it... read the readme ;D

No it's not true, it's the same as modding normal Oblivion except that if you use Oblivion Script Extender (an external program enabling more advanced mods) you need to download a different version that works with Steam. Also please download and use Oblivion Mod Manager, it will make modding A LOT easier. Nowadays serious modders prefer Wrye Bash for managing mods, but it's super complicated in comparison and very scary if you're new to modding.

Someone with a V avatar will never let you down.

Ledsen

Kaijima said:
Someone with a V avatar will never let you down.

hehe :) modding Oblivion is pretty awesome, but it can be quite hard... like I said, download OBMM. You use it for easy one-click activation/de-activation of mods so you don't have to place them manually in different folders. The only problem is that a mod needs to be in .OMOD format (basically a glorified .zip-file), and not all mods are downloadable as OMODS. The good news is that it's very easy to make mods into .OMODs by yourself. Extract the mod into a separate folder, make sure all the files are correctly placed (so that you could simple copy-paste them into the Oblivion directory), press "create" in OBMM and choose your folder. After a while your OBMM will look something like this, with my omods in the list on the right (and don't you dare point out "Sexywalks by Mur_Zik" :lol )

11b0pko.png

If multiple mods change the same file, then OBMM runs into problems. It has no way of knowing which mod a particular file belongs to. so say that using OBMM, you install mod A that installs file X, and then mod B which overwrites file X with a different version. You decide that you like file X from mod A better, so you remove mod B. But OBMM removes file X completely and now it doesn't exist at all. You'll have to also uninstall and reinstall mod A to get that version of file X back. Wrye Bash fixes this problem, but like I said it's a very complicated program and I prefer OBMM for ease of use. Just make sure you install mods that will overwrite each others files in the right order, since you have no way of undoing overwrites and such.

Minamu

That unofficial Shivering Isles patch, what does that one do? In my experience, SI was miles better on almost every point compared to the original game. What needed patching there? :S

~Kinggi~

Banned
Minamu said:
That unofficial Shivering Isles patch, what does that one do? In my experience, SI was miles better on almost every point compared to the original game. What needed patching there? :S
Patches are for bug fixes and things like spelling errors and such.

I've played both console versions of Oblivion and have recently purchased the deluxe GotY edition for the PC through Steam. My single biggest issue with Oblivion is the enemy level and loot scaling.

You will never find epic loot, it's always just within your level and, to make matters worse, whatever tier of equipment you do gain will be matched by the most common enemies. You got some "rare" Daedric armor, so does Bob the roadside bandit. There was no feeling of progression over any one area or enemy type because everything just scales up with you.

Also the manner in which enemies scaled was busted too, if you focused on anything other than health and strength, you were fucked. You could be some epic wizard, but you'll just get raped by a common mountain lion in one or two swipes. The game states that it encourages free-form character development, but then really only rewards one type of character through actual gameplay. Or at least that was the experience I took away from both stabs with the console version.

There's simply so much information on the topic of modding Oblivion, too much almost, it's kind of hard to wade through. My google-fu lead me to this list of top ten mods...

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?id=41&view=Articles.Detail

#9: Francesco's leveled creatures/items mod
This mod should not be used in conjunction with #10. No point really, because they are quite the opposite of each other ;) It makes the game 'easier' in the sense of tweaking the creature (bandits) and item lists to fix the following issue as described: "Tired that nearly all monsters level up with you? Bored that at level 30 all the bandits of the world are god-like ones with daedric equipment? Then this mod is for you."

Download Francesco's leveled creatures/items mod

Is this the best mod for enemy/loot scaling or is there a better one?

~Kinggi~

Banned
jaundicejuice said:
I've played both console versions of Oblivion and have recently purchased the deluxe GotY edition for the PC through Steam. My single biggest issue with Oblivion is the enemy level and loot scaling.

You will never find epic loot, it's always just within your level and, to make matters worse, whatever tier of equipment you do gain will be matched by the most common enemies. You got some "rare" Daedric armor, so does Bob the roadside bandit. There was no feeling of progression over any one area or enemy type because everything just scales up with you.

Also the manner in which enemies scaled was busted too, if you focused on anything other than health and strength, you were fucked. You could be some epic wizard, but you'll just get raped by a common mountain lion in one or two swipes. The game states that it encourages free-form character development, but then really only rewards one type of character through actual gameplay. Or at least that was the experience I took away from both stabs with the console version.

There's simply so much information on the topic of modding Oblivion, too much almost, it's kind of hard to wade through. My google-fu lead me to this list of top ten mods...

Oscuros Overhaul 1.33 aka OOO is the best mod for scaling and items. It basically changes the entire game.

Im actually trying to figure out right now how to get that mod working with the other mods i want working.

Also, yopu are gonna want the Darn UI. Completely chages the interface for the better.

Use TESNEXUS to download mods. Its free and all you need is an account.

Ledsen

jaundicejuice said:

It's one of the two most popular, the other being Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul. I prefer Oscuros because it's much simpler to install, some people love Fransecos simply because it's super customizable. Also... dude that list is 4 years old and completely worthless -_- thousands of mods get released each year.

-Mikey-

I picked up Oblivion recently because of the Steam sale. I already have it but decided to bite because I never bought any of the dlc. Is it cool to play them in any order I choose or should I start with one specific quest line?

Boss Doggie

It's up to you, though if you ask me, I'd finish Dark Brotherhood then Thieves first, then do Knights of the Nine. Murdering will let you be invited to both DB and Thieves (if you get jailed). Finish DB first because it somehow conflicts with Thieves in blood money stuff, and they will supply you nice equipment for thievery. After you've done both, go do Knights of the Nine - they'll require you to make a pilgrim which, once completed, will reset your infamy to 0.

With that said, I'm still wondering as to why the "mini-altars" of the Wayshrines won't work despite visiting them via the pilgrim.

Seanspeed

Banned
-Mikey- said:
I picked up Oblivion recently because of the Steam sale. I already have it but decided to bite because I never bought any of the dlc. Is it cool to play them in any order I choose or should I start with one specific quest line?
Doesn't really matter the order.

I wouldn't do the Dark Brotherhood or Thieve's Guild quests first. They are the best quests in the game in my opinion, and doing them too early is gonna make the rest of your 'adventure' seem a bit more stale in comparison.

Space it out a bit.

Hootie

Oblivion is probably one of, if not THE only game I wish I could erase from memory so I can enjoy it for the first time again. So fucking good.

Boss Doggie

Seanspeed said:

I wouldn't do the Dark Brotherhood or Thieve's Guild quests first. They are the best quests in the game in my opinion, and doing them too early is gonna make the rest of your 'adventure' seem a bit more stale in comparison.

Space it out a bit.

I give you thieves guild (but the Grey Fox missions were bad) but Dark Brotherhood? Hahahah no. It was fun until you do the purge.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Hootie said:
Oblivion is probably one of, if not THE only game I wish I could erase from memory so I can enjoy it for the first time again. So fucking good.

And I feel so sad that the first time I came out of the sewers, I did so on a piece of shit PC that spoiled almost all of the magic.

Seanspeed said:

Space it out a bit.
IAWTP

Hootie

kittoo said:
And I feel so sad that the first time I came out of the sewers, I did so on a piece of shit PC that spoiled almost all of the magic.

That was one of the best videogame moments I've had in a looong time. So much stuff in front of you, and there was complete and total freedom.

But at least you got to play it on a PC, I played the vanilla 360 version and clocked at least 300 hours :lol

neoism

Hootie said:
That was one of the best videogame moments I've had in a looong time. So much stuff in front of you, and there was complete and total freedom.

But at least you got to play it on a PC, I played the vanilla 360 version and clocked at least 300 hours :lol
:lol :lol I played it for 150 hours... I'll never play an Elder Scrolls game on console again.. PC alltheway.

Boss Doggie

Here's hoping the next game would at least have better graphics. Man, I'm still freaked out by how the characters look.

Also it's fun running around in Cyrodiil naked.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
kittoo said:

That's kinda how I feel right now on my laptop from 2005 (i'm honestly surprised this hunk of junk can keep up to 30fps)

Luckily I'll be getting the M11x in the coming weeks so I can experience Oblivion with all of it's weather mods and glorious...gloriousness.

I finally had time to play the steam version (my first time playing oblivion, I loved F3) and I'm overwhelmed with the mods. So many mods, so little explanaition.

Does OOO mod really makes it a better game? I tried it and died, a lot, which wasn't much fun but it also seems to add a lot more than removing the autobalancing.

I'd love some opinions whether I should play vanilla or OOO.

BomberMouse said:
I finally had time to play the steam version (my first time playing oblivion, I loved F3) and I'm overwhelmed with the mods. So many mods, so little explanaition.

Does OOO mod really makes it a better game? I tried it and died, a lot, which wasn't much fun but it also seems to add a lot more than removing the autobalancing.

Wondering the same.

Played it on the 360 for about 100 hours and just bought it on Steam. I think I want to do some sort of conversion mod so I'm not playing the same game, but there really doesn't seem to be a good description of what it does anywhere. Everyone says there's so much stuff we can't summarize it here !

Anyone have a good summary of what it does?

Edit: Holy sheeeittt. Just read the instructions for downloading FCOM :lol. Wow. Looks like it'll be OOO or nothing for me.

Ledsen

BomberMouse said:

OOO makes the game about a 100x better in my opinion. Did you read the readme before installing? If not, go do that, it's about 60 pages long :D If you've never played the game before, I'd still advice you to just play vanilla for 5-10 hours to get the feel for it and see if you like it or not. OOO is very hard since there is very little scaling and there are only 2-3 dungeons that a lvl 1 character would have any chance of (almost) finishing. I say almost, because more often than not you'll get down to the lower floors and the enemies will suddenly destroy you, meaning you'll have to come back later for the real goodies. It might make you frustrated if you don't have a crappy vanilla experience to compare it to. Generally you'll have to stick very close to the Imperial City until you gain a few levels. The further you go from the cities, the more dangerous it will get. When you decide to play OOO, check the "OOO tips for beginners" thread on the official mod forums. I really can't emphasize enough how good those forums are.

I'm actually thinking about making an Oblivion Mod Thread where people can ask these kinds of questions, seeing as how so many people seem very confused (understandably so).

TheLegendary said:
Wondering the same.

Played it on the 360 for about 100 hours and just bought it on Steam. I think I want to do some sort of conversion mod so I'm not playing the same game, but there really doesn't seem to be a good description of what it does anywhere. Everyone says there's so much stuff we can't summarize it here !

Anyone have a good summary of what it does?

Edit: Holy sheeeittt. Just read the instructions for downloading FCOM :lol. Wow. Looks like it'll be OOO or nothing for me.

See above... you didn't think to read the readme? It explains everything OOO does.

Ledsen

LiveFromKyoto said:
I want to see screenshots/film of what this looks like with all those mods running at once, I only played the console versions (bought both).

Well some examples that I found by browsing for 10 mins (sorry if you're sensitive to scantily clad women, obviously that's what's going to get the most mods in any game)

15dl2is.jpg

f1bk1g.jpg

141p0uh.jpg

v63ouq.jpg

i3xhex.jpg

1412gkp.jpg

zoi3d.jpg

wtiqg6.jpg

dze6o4.jpg

xeh0qp.jpg

sgheut.jpg

2uxybgw.jpg

23j4crb.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

My god, I can't believe that all this time I've been stuck playing Oblivion on Medium settings.

If you don't mind me asking Ledsen, what are the specs of your PC to run Oblivion with all these mods, and do you know what the clothing/armour is on the character in screenshot 4 and 8?

MacBosse said:
If anything, those pics make me long for another Elder Scrolls game.

It's coming, but probably not for another ~2 years or so. Beth said they were (tentatively) waiting until the next series of consoles. The games have built a reputation of being 'showcase' titles for new tech.

Top Bottom