• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Ledsen

Azure Phoenix said:

My god, I can't believe that all this time I've been stuck playing Oblivion on Medium settings.

If you don't mind me asking Ledsen, what are the specs of your PC to run Oblivion with all these mods, and do you know what the clothing/armour is on the character in screenshot 4 and 8?

Sadly those aren't my shots, I found most of them by looking through TESNexus Image Share (sorted by rank). Go there and check the comments if you want to know what mods they're using. As for specs, you don't need a very good computer to run most mods since they're usually only textures or better looking models. If you want effects like depth of field etc you'll need a better machine than mine. I'm on a laptop with i3 330, ATI HD5650 mobile and 4GB RAM and my heavily modded Oblivion runs fine though.

Nocebo said:
Looks like a mod that populates the world with female characters from Lineage II.

This too.

Like I said, considering the demographic of most RPGs it's not surprising that most mods concern female bodies or clothing. If you don't want these kinds of clothes or hair you don't need to download them. If you do though... you wouldn't believe the kind of sick shit some people mod into their games :/

Ledsen said:
Sadly those aren't my shots, I found most of them by looking through TESNexus Image Share (sorted by rank). Go there and check the comments if you want to know what mods they're using. As for specs, you don't need a very good computer to run most mods since they're usually only textures or better looking models. If you want effects like depth of field etc you'll need a better machine than mine. I'm on a laptop with i3 330, ATI HD5650 mobile and 4GB RAM and my heavily modded Oblivion runs fine though.
Just checked the image share and ironically the very first image on the list was of that armour with a link. I'm glad to hear that you can run it heavily modified on that setup with no issues, the PC I wanted to build was going to be quite similar to that so it should be more than enough for Oblivion.

Nocebo

Ledsen said:
Like I said, considering the demographic of most RPGs it's not surprising that most mods concern female bodies or clothing. If you don't want these kinds of clothes or hair you don't need to download them. If you do though... you wouldn't believe the kind of sick shit some people mod into their games :/
Oh I'm not bothered by it at all. The women in vanilla Oblivion are fugly as hell in my opinion. This certainly is an improvement. It's just what it reminded me of.

Ledsen

Nocebo said:
Oh I'm not bothered by it at all. The women in vanilla Oblivion are fugly as hell in my opinion. This certainly is an improvement. It's just what it reminded me of.

You're probably not wrong, I'm pretty sure the top image was posted by a Korean :lol

Azure Phoenix said:
Just checked the image share and ironically the very first image on the list was of that armour with a link. I'm glad to hear that you can run it heavily modified on that setup with no issues, the PC I wanted to build was going to be quite similar to that so it should be more than enough for Oblivion.

I run at 1680x1050 and get about 20-40 fps outside and well above that inside, if that's any help. Also my processor and graphics card are Mobile-branded, so if you're getting a stationary machine your parts should be waaaaaaaaay faster no matter how cheap they are.

See above... you didn't think to read the readme? It explains everything OOO does.

... I wasn't going to download a 400 MB file just to read a readme. Didn't see it available anywhere online but it could be a lack of resourcefulness on my part.

Lyonaz

Can't believe you have to download mods for decent character design. :lol
Damnit Bethesda hire some new character modelers! I don't care if your games are buggy messes at least make it pleasant to talk to pretty NPCs. :D

That said, lately I've been craving Western RPGs, is the PS3 Oblivion: GOTY edition worth the 15 euros these days?

Running a few mods including OOO and everything's running fine except when I try and exit the game. Saw someone mention a mod that'll fix it. Anyone have suggestions?

Nevermind, works now.

When I was first planning out which mods to use I figured I could live with the the vanilla faces.

Took me to the end of the sewers to change my mind. Didn't go with the anime or naked ones. Although the nude ones could actually be nice if they did it "tastefully" , but I doubt that's what modders have in mind.

Lyonaz said:
Can't believe you have to download mods for decent character design. :lol
Damnit Bethesda hire some new character modelers! I don't care if your games are buggy messes at least make it pleasant to talk to pretty NPCs. :D

That said, lately I've been craving Western RPGs, is the PS3 Oblivion: GOTY edition worth the 15 euros these days?

The game is little over 4 years old... those character models were pretty damn good for their time.

Ledsen

TheLegendary said:
When I was first planning out which mods to use I figured I could live with the the vanilla faces.

Took me to the end of the sewers to change my mind. Didn't go with the anime or naked ones. Although the nude ones could actually be nice if they did it "tastefully" , but I doubt that's what modders have in mind.

Naked ones? Are you talking about bodies or faces? Those are separate types of mods. I don't know what you find "tasteful", but most body mods simply make vaginas look like vaginas (shaved or hairy, take your pick) and penises look like penises. I'd recommend HGEC for a female body mod, with non-huge cup size (I use C) to make it not look ridiculous. For faces, I don't use one that changes NPC faces (except High Rez Skin Textures for HGEC which includes both body and face textures that make the default NPCs look much better) but I did download the custom race "Chocolate Elves" (love the name) for my char, and it comes with a very nice standard face that I tweaked until it looked good.

Apath

So my copy of Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Deluxe Edition that I purchased on Steam fails to launch and crashes upon start up. I tried browsing through Steam's (awful) Support Site, but to no avail. Anyone know of any common issues? My specs:

Intel i7 930 2.8ghz Processor
Corsair 6GB DDR3 Ram
Radeon HD 5770 1GB Sapphire Graphics Card
EVGA X58 SLI LE Mobo

All of my drivers are also up to date.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Kenak said:
So my copy of Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Deluxe Edition that I purchased on Steam fails to launch and crashes upon start up. I tried browsing through Steam's (awful) Support Site, but to no avail. Anyone know of any common issues? My specs:

Intel i7 930 2.8ghz Processor
Corsair 6GB DDR3 Ram
Radeon HD 5770 1GB Sapphire Graphics Card
EVGA X58 SLI LE Mobo

All of my drivers are also up to date.
Multiple monitors?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!

Apath

water_wendi said:
No problem. You can get Oblivion working across 2 or more monitors but it cant be done without using 3rd party software afaik.

Check out http://multimonitor.net/2008/08/triple-screen-oblivion/ and http://www.kegetys.net/SoftTH/ if you are interested in trying such things.

im not much of an Oblivion fan but i have to admit that the Triple Screen Oblivion video looks great.
Would that work for just two monitors? If so I'll definitely check it out as I haven't come across anything that makes use of my dual monitor setup as of yet.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Kenak said:
Would that work for just two monitors? If so I'll definitely check it out as I haven't come across anything that makes use of my dual monitor setup as of yet.
i think you need 3 monitors to make uses of SoftTH. SoftTH basically takes the place of hardware like the Matrox TripleHead2Go. There might be something for dual-monitor Oblivion but i havent heard of it.. then again i havent been looking for it either. All i really know from experience is that it crashes on start-up with more than one monitor.. i had a customer with the problem a long time ago :lol

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Ledsen said:
f1bk1g.jpg

Outside the grass, the right side looks uglier.

epmode

FTWer said:
Outside the grass, the right side looks uglier.
That tends to be the case for most texture-swap mods. Higher resolution doesn't necessarily mean better.

And yeah, judging from that picture, I agree.
Vigilant Walrus said:
Does Oblivion run at 2560x1600?
Fallout 3 works fine at that resolution so I'd be surprised if it didn't.

Ledsen

NeoForte said:
So I hate how leveling is in Oblivion. Is AF Leveling Mod a good alternative?

It's very old and buggy. The ones people use most nowadays are nGCD and Oblivion XP. nGCD is kind of hardcore and makes your class and skill choices extremely significant. Oblivion XP changes the leveling system to the style of Fallout 3, where you gain XP for quests, kills, locations discovered etc, and then distribute your own skill and attribute points on level up. I'm currently using Oblivion XP and I love it :) I'm sure there are others but these two are undoubtedly the most popular.

NeoForte

Ledsen said:
It's very old and buggy. The ones people use most nowadays are nGCD and Oblivion XP. nGCD is kind of hardcore and makes your class and skill choices extremely significant. Oblivion XP changes the leveling system to the style of Fallout 3, where you gain XP for quests, kills, locations discovered etc, and then distribute your own skill and attribute points on level up. I'm currently using Oblivion XP and I love it :) I'm sure there are others but these two are undoubtedly the most popular.

That sounds awesome! Off to get Oblivion XP~

NeoForte

Ledsen said:
It's even compatible with many mods (=gives XP for their quests etc) such as OOO :D

Yea I'm having a blast with it :D Also, I wanna try playing as a Monk. Do you know if there's a mod that makes H2H stronger? Or make it scale up has the skill goes up? Think I read in OOO they made it stronger but how much stronger?

Ledsen

Kenak said:
While on the topic of mods, I was looking at old threads discussing it, and couldn't really find a definitive list of all the must have mods. I checked this thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=22773773
And am still left kind of clueless. Anyone wanna fill me in? :D

I can make a quick list, just get them from TES Nexus or google the name

External Programs:
OBSE (required for many mods)
Oblivion Mod Manager (awesome for installing mods in OMOD format)
Wrye Bash (very advanced program for installing, managing mods and a hundred other things. You may need it, you may not)

Patches:
-Unofficial Oblivion Patch 3.2.0+upgrade to 3.2.10
-Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch 1.4
-Unofficial Official Mods Patch v15

Textures:
-Qarls Texture Pack 3 Redimized (reduced+optimized)
-Qarls Texture Pack 3 UOP 3.2.0 compatability patch
-Bomret's Texture Pack: Shivering Isles
-All "improved" texture mods by this guy, I personally don't use the ones for cities though since I'm happy with the textures from QTP3
-Manglers Equipment n Ammo Textures
-4096X4096 Normal Map-2048X2048 Border Regions-LOD_OMOD (textures for distant land)
-Koldorns LOD Noise Replacer (complements the one above, I use medium strength)
-Book Jackets Oblivion (makes the books in the game beautiful)

Other Graphics mods:
-HG EyeCandy Body (female body replacer)
-Luchaire's HGEC Body Seam Reducer
-All Natural (adds an awesome weather system+makes weather noticeable when inside+adds real light sources to all lights in the world, you will need Wrye Bash for this, check the readme)
-Animated Windows Lightning System (makes windows light up at night+adds smoking chimney)
-Low-Poly Grass (for better FPS outside)

Other:
-Chase Camera Mod (fixes the stupid mouse delay in 3rd person)
-Darnified UI (essential for making the UI suitable for PC)
-Map Marker Overhaul (you can now place your own map markers)
-Storms & Sounds (what it sounds like, fully compatible with All Natural!)

Depending on taste:
-Unique Landscapes Compilation OMOD (a huuuge project where 20+ modders and counting each take a piece of the map and create beautiful environments instead of the boring, flat grassland that is normally there)
-Oscuros Oblivion Overhaul 1.33+upgrade to 1.34b5(the biggest mod ever made, removes level scaling, adds hundreds of weapons and armor etc, the author is now working on Fallout New Vegas. Read the readme. If you're going to install this, YOU WILL NEED TO INSTALL A FEW OTHER MODS AS WELL such as OMOBS. Make sure you read this guide

Apath

Ledsen said:
I can make a quick list, just get them from TES Nexus or google the name

External Programs:
OBSE (required for many mods)
Oblivion Mod Manager (awesome for installing mods in OMOD format)
Wrye Bash (very advanced program for installing, managing mods and a hundred other things. You may need it, you may not)

Patches:
-Unofficial Oblivion Patch 3.2.0+upgrade to 3.2.10
-Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch 1.4
-Unofficial Official Mods Patch v15

Textures:
-Qarls Texture Pack 3 Redimized (reduced+optimized)
-Qarls Texture Pack 3 UOP 3.2.0 compatability patch
-Bomret's Texture Pack: Shivering Isles
-All "improved" texture mods by this guy, I personally don't use the ones for cities though since I'm happy with the textures from QTP3
-Manglers Equipment n Ammo Textures
-4096X4096 Normal Map-2048X2048 Border Regions-LOD_OMOD (textures for distant land)
-Koldorns LOD Noise Replacer (complements the one above, I use medium strength)
-Book Jackets Oblivion (makes the books in the game beautiful)

Other Graphics mods:
-HG EyeCandy Body (female body replacer)
-Luchaire's HGEC Body Seam Reducer
-All Natural (adds an awesome weather system+makes weather noticeable when inside+adds real light sources to all lights in the world, you will need Wrye Bash for this, check the readme)
-Animated Windows Lightning System (makes windows light up at night+adds smoking chimney)
-Low-Poly Grass (for better FPS outside)

Other:
-Chase Camera Mod (fixes the stupid mouse delay in 3rd person)
-Darnified UI (essential for making the UI suitable for PC)
-Map Marker Overhaul (you can now place your own map markers)
-Storms & Sounds (what it sounds like, fully compatible with All Natural!)

Depending on taste:
-Unique Landscapes Compilation OMOD (a huuuge project where 20+ modders and counting each take a piece of the map and create beautiful environments instead of the boring, flat grassland that is normally there)
-Oscuros Oblivion Overhaul 1.33+upgrade to 1.34b5(the biggest mod ever made, removes level scaling, adds hundreds of weapons and armor etc, the author is now working on Fallout New Vegas. Read the readme. If you're going to install this, YOU WILL NEED TO INSTALL A FEW OTHER MODS AS WELL such as OMOBS. Make sure you read this guide
Wow, this is awesome. I'll check it all out on Friday when I actually have a few hours to spare. I appreciate the help.

You guys know how in Fallout 3 you can adjust the camera in third person mode to be as close or as far to the avatar as you want (using L2 on PS3)?

Question: Can you do the same thing with this game (on 360)?

Safe Bet

Banned
NEOPARADIGM said:
You guys know how in Fallout 3 you can adjust the camera in third person mode to be as close or as far to the avatar as you want
I like to do this in Oblivion but unfortunately, the third-person view is unfit for combat.

Safe Bet

Banned
NEOPARADIGM said:
And would you mind elaborating on "unfit"?
You lose the aiming reticule when going into third-person view.

It makes ranged combat impossible and melee combat problematic.

They way I've been playing is fpv for combat and tpv for everything else.

Chris_C

Just rebought this after selling it earlier in the year. It's my game of the generation without a doubt, pretty much the game that turned me onto WRPG's. Playing this and Demon's Soul's at the same time should be an interesting experience.

zsswimmer

Yeah Oblivions music is awesome. I love the town and city music as well. Oblivion is definitely in my top list of favorite games, I'm seriously salivating just to hear the announcement for TES V

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Seriously wtf...:lol
I watched my lil bro pass thru the Kvatch Castle post-closure of the Oblivion Gate to defeat them Oblivion creatures and liberate the place. He fought Scamps and whatnot.
He lets me borrow the game and I start a new game. Instead of doing the Main Quest and liberating Kvatch, I spent all my time doing sidequests and level myself up to level 17. I grew tired of doing sidequest and wanted to liberate Kvatch then locate the heir. As I start sieging Kvatch's town area, I noticed monsters that were too fuckin powerful than what my bro fought. I saw no scamps. I saw Storm/Frost Atronarchs, Oblivion Mages, Clannfears whom I fuckin hate, the She-Spider Sorceress, etc.
This is just too much to fight them powerful sons of bitches especially the Frost Atronarchs. I may end up bald cuz Im so frustrated that I get picked off easy by them. Anyone know how to kill them quicker?? Also Clannfears too.

FYI, Im a Imperial and doing the warrior class.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Honestly, when I played Oblivion I would just crank the difficulty all the way over to the easiest setting. The quicker the combat is over, the better.

Top Bottom