• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Tadale

I'm sure this has been covered to death, but I didn't see it in the last few pages.

Besides Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles, what DLC is worth it? Should I pick up the spell tomes DLC?

Sblargh

Banned
Tadale said:
I'm sure this has been covered to death, but I didn't see it in the last few pages.

Besides Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles, what DLC is worth it? Should I pick up the spell tomes DLC?

None. Only these two.

thecheese

Been playing through this again, and I have a few questions I've been wondering about recently:

Why would someone choose blunt weapons over swords?

Why buy weapons from stores when there are better weapons out there as free loot?

Is there a point to items like rubies, emeralds, gold amulets, flawless diamonds etc.etc? I either ignore them or sell them, but their value is usually pretty minimal.

NBtoaster

thecheese said:
Been playing through this again, and I have a few questions I've been wondering about recently:

Why would someone choose blunt weapons over swords?

Why buy weapons from stores when there are better weapons out there as free loot?

Is there a point to items like rubies, emeralds, gold amulets, flawless diamonds etc.etc? I either ignore them or sell them, but their value is usually pretty minimal.

Blunt weapons are typically stringer, but slower. Depends on your playstyle.

Store weapons aren't generally worth it, though most stores sell at least one unique named weapon.

Jewels don't weigh much but sell for several times their weight, so I like to pick them up.

thecheese

NBtoaster said:
Blunt weapons are typically stringer, but slower. Depends on your playstyle.

Store weapons aren't generally worth it, though most stores sell at least one unique named weapon.

Jewels don't weigh much but sell for several times their weight, so I like to pick them up.
Ok, thanks!

shadowsdarknes said:
I got the 5 yr anniversary edition for PS3 hoping it would have trophies. I am disappointed lol.

I now own the game in 4 ways.

Oblivion CE 360
Oblivion Regular 360 (Bought shivering isles and knights of the nine, too)
Oblivion GOTY PC
Oblivion 5 yr edition PS3

Bethesda loves me.
How many hours you got MAN??? Everybody add up the hours you've put into Oblivion!

My first character, only a few hours until I turned into a vampire and decided to start a new character. Then my main character - 300 hours. Then my alt character - 150 hours.

So about 450 total hours for me.

Well Shivering Isles is awesome, and much more what you want from a fantasy RPG (i.e. interesting, crazy and unique environments). This makes me think I should pick up Morrowind, but I have no interest in dice-roll based combat and I've heard it's a game breaker compared to modern day combat.

Might just do a second DE:HR playthrough, this time as prick Jensen

Fjordson

EDIT: Fixed my sound issues by updating my soundcard drivers. Imagine that, updating drivers on a PC...heh....

This looks so good with all my mods loaded up. And I just added Darnified UI. Oh man, so much better.

-Stranger-

Still trying to finish this before Skyrim releases, I've noticed the game is really buggy.
The other day the game froze twice on the 360, anyone know if ripping it to HD would help?

Thanks.

-Stranger- said:
Still trying to finish this before Skyrim releases, I've noticed the game is really buggy.
The other day the game froze twice on the 360, anyone know if ripping it to HD would help?

Thanks.
It will. It'll make the game load faster, too.

So do it. Do it now.

-Stranger- said:

Thanks.
The game does not benefit from installing it on your Xbox so don't do it.

You can however clear your cache.

-Go to the Xbox Dashboard, select the System Blade, and select Memory.
-Highlight the HD symbol and press Y.
-Press X, X, Left Bumper, Right Bumper, X, X.

Woorloog

Banned
-Stranger- said:

Thanks.
Buggy? Do you have the patches? I rarely, if ever had freezing issues before the HD installation was supported and afterwards no freezing (or maybe just as rarely, can't remember).
Without patches the game has some game breaking issues.
How long have you played with your current character? Have you tried to clean/clear cache, both 360's, and Oblivion's by holding A during logos?

The Lamonster said:
The game does not benefit from installing it on your Xbox so don't do it.

You can however clear your cache.

-Go to the Xbox Dashboard, select the System Blade, and select Memory.
-Highlight the HD symbol and press Y.
-Press X, X, Left Bumper, Right Bumper, X, X.
Wait, what? I always heard it does. :lol

Eh, in any case, it's worth it for the quiet disc drive alone.

Blue Ninja said:
Wait, what? I always heard it does. :lol

Eh, in any case, it's worth it for the quiet disc drive alone.
After some Googling, turns out I was thinking of Halo 3. Installing Oblivion shouldn't hurt and may help load times :)

And clearing your cache is still a good idea every once and a while. Make sure not to store things in containers you do not own. Only stash shit in containers inside of houses you own.

Woorloog

Banned
The Lamonster said:
After some Googling, turns out I was thinking of Halo 3. Installing Oblivion shouldn't hurt and may help load times :)
I wonder if Halo 3 is the only game to be truly optimized for disc loading on 360... I mean, as far as i know, every single 360 game beside Halo 3 loads faster by installing the game, even launch games (AFAIK).

Lakitu

st5fu
-Stranger- said:

Thanks.

I'm not sure, I had no problems when I was playing it installed except for some of the usual trademark Bethesda bugs. I'm playing it right now and besides some rough performance, it's fine. You probably should though.

My current playthrough is at 302 hours... and I'm still not even finished. I finished the Dark Brotherhood questline and I'm doing the Thieves guild stuff right now. I love stealing things. I've still got the Daedric shrines, some side-quests (in both the main game and Shivering Isles) and the rest of the Mages Guild quests. Then I'll finally be done. Hoping to do all that before Skyrim comes out.

SorchaR

Scruggy said:
i think I'm having more fun playing this on X-Box than I did on PC -- simply because there is less temptation to cheat :)

I found the same thing :D I bought the 360 version a few years after I bought the PC version, and stuck more time in that playthrough then in any other.

Now I'm back on the PC with multiple mods and so on, and I simply can't get into the game. I keep swapping mods, changing characters and builds and so on :(
The PC version looks better, but I might go back to the Xbox.

-Stranger-

Okay i'll have to make some room and install it.
I wasn't even aware of the cache thing, i'll try that to.
I've been playing with this character for around 40-50 hrs i think.

Keinu

My main problem with Oblivion has always been the leveling system. I've tried different characters/builds, but somehow my characters always ends up weak and unbalanced once I level a bit. It's really annoying since the world and exploration is something that really appeals to me.

I've tried reading guides regarding good character builds etc., but trying to follow these usually ends up ruining my gaming experience since I spend more time doing silly things just to level the right skills. Does anyone have any good tips to get around this problem? Are there any builds where it's easier to level "correct" by just playing the game? If its magic, melee or ranged/stealth doesn't matter as long as I can focus on the exploration and gameplay :)

I haven't followed Skyrim closely, but any news if the level system there will be better? Cause the world there looks amazing...

Edit: Forgot to mention I play on Xbox so mods is not an option...

Keinu said:
My main problem with Oblivion has always been the leveling system. I've tried different characters/builds, but somehow my characters always ends up weak and unbalanced once I level a bit. It's really annoying since the world and exploration is something that really appeals to me.

I've tried reading guides regarding good character builds etc., but trying to follow these usually ends up ruining my gaming experience since I spend more time doing silly things just to level the right skills. Does anyone have any good tips to get around this problem? Are there any builds where it's easier to level "correct" by just playing the game? If its magic, melee or ranged/stealth doesn't matter as long as I can focus on the exploration and gameplay :)

I haven't followed Skyrim closely, but any news if the level system there will be better? Cause the world there looks amazing...

Edit: Forgot to mention I play on Xbox so mods is not an option...
There's less level scaling and every skill you increase helps you level, so I would say yes.

SorchaR

Keinu said:
Does anyone have any good tips to get around this problem? Are there any builds where it's easier to level "correct" by just playing the game? If its magic, melee or ranged/stealth doesn't matter as long as I can focus on the exploration and gameplay :)

I found it the easiest to level "correct" with a mage, since you can make practice spells to level up skills that lag behind.
For example, I used to make a spell called "Z_destruction_practice" that would cast Weakness to Frost 3 points on self. In a safe area (my house or my room in an inn) I would cast that spell over and over until my Destruction raised to a point where I was happy with. Roleplay wise it made sense for a young mage to practise spells before bedtime as well :)
I had a spell like that for every spell school.

One thing to keep in mind is that enemies gain 2 or 3 points per level in their combat skills, so as long as your damage dealing skills gain 3 points per level you'll be fine.
I built my character in such a way that she would mainly level on combat skills, and left her other skills as minors since magic skills (besides destruction and restoration) level incredibly fast even as minors.

I think my build was as follows:

1 Destruction
2 Restoration
3 Merchantile
4 Blade
5 Illusion
6 Light Armor
7 Marksman

The first two level very slow and are very useful for a mage, so they are fine as mayors.
Merchantile levels quite slow as well and I like making money, but it's up to you whether to take that one or not. You can gain several level ups in the beginning with this skill but it slows down pretty fast.
I took Blade as a backup in case I needed a weapon but I never really used it.
Illusion is a useful skill and levels pretty fast. I didn't really start using skills like "Invisibility" until I hit level 13 or 14 or so, before that it cost to much magicka for me.
Light Armor and Marksman were purely fillers and not skills I used. This way my main skills for levelling were Destruction and Restoration.

I rolled a female (male works to) Breton with The Mage as a Starsign, which was a nice and safe combination.

The first few levels I did the mage's guild quests to get acces to the arcane University. They aren't too dangerous and give you some free spells and a nice staff at the end. Making your own spells helps a lot. Damage Over Time and Heal Over Time spells cost less then damage/heal a big whack at once, even if they only last 3 or 4 seconds or so.

During the first few levels my character toyed with the idea of becoming a battle mage, donned some heavy armor and a shield, and practiced those skills by having mudcrabs attacking her. She did this every level until she had 10 points between both skills and would then go adventuring again without armor. This would give her +5 Endurance every level up which you need in the beginning. She got bored of having the snot kicked out of her by mudcrabs at around level 8 or so and gave up on armor altogether. At this point he had around 75 Endurance or so which was enough for me, but if you want you could go on a bit longer with training.

She also practised her alchemy diligently by taking all food and a set of alchemy equipment from the mage's guilds she was visiting and buying all food from shops and inns and turning them into potions. This actually made her profit and gave her a +5 Intelligence every level. You could also practice Mysticism or Conjuration for your Intelligence multiplier, but try to level your Alchemy at least a few levels every level because making your own potions is handy, if anything for the magicka restoration ones.
Every evening she practised her Destruction and Restoration and Alteration, so she would get a +5 in Willpower as well.
Again, around level 8 or 10 or so she had a very high Intelligence and Willpower, and she slacked off a bit with her studies and started levelling more naturally.

She did go back to her Battlemage fantasy every now and again at higher levels, equipped a mace and started whacking mudcrabs, but besides gaining more Strength to carry her loot, nothing really ever came out of that. (Loot gets heavier and heavier and I'm a packrat, so boosting her strength every now and again was a must)

As I said, level 8 or 10 or so on I was bored with keeping track of points and grinding skills. But at that point my skills, Intelligence and endurance were high enough that I could play comfortably. The only thing I made sure off was that my main attack skill (Destruction) gained 3 levels per level.

She did Kvatch at the beginning but left Martin there at the camp and didn't start the main quest until level 18 or so, since you get the best sigil stones at that level. Before doing the Main Quest she rose to a reasonable level in the mage's guild and did a lot of exploring, which she then continued afterwards.

The advantage of magic is that you can easily control and practice casting spells. It's fun to be creative and come up with new spells as well (3 second heal and 3 seconds invisibility is a great combo for example when you bite of more then you can chew).
Magic allows you to do damage, open locks, make people like you more, summon armor and minions, heal and buff yourself, debuff your enemies... there are far more options to deal with a situation as a mage then as any other character I found.

Anyway, this should give you some ideas on how I managed to finish the game on the 360 without any mods and without running into problems with the levelling system.
In the beginning I was quite frail so I to turned the difficulty down a bit, but once I got going I was able to slide it further and further up.
it's a bit grindy in the beginning, but it really paid off and it didn't take that long to get her to a point where I could start playing more naturally and not worry about +5 modifiers anymore.

Good luck, and have fun.

Hey guys/gals, so I've had this game since release day, but aside from just leaving the underground part and dicking around outside for a few hours, I never really did much in the game.

With Skyrim coming out, I've been craving to play this game again and was curious on how long it took to beat the game just story wise?

I've googled it and found responses anywhere from 8 hours to 100...so I'm curious to what your times were for completing the story.

D3RANG3D

SkyMasterson said:
Hey guys/gals, so I've had this game since release day, but aside from just leaving the underground part and dicking around outside for a few hours, I never really did much in the game.

With Skyrim coming out, I've been craving to play this game again and was curious on how long it took to beat the game just story wise?

I've googled it and found responses anywhere from 8 hours to 100...so I'm curious to what your times were for completing the story.

The main story is terribad, but it's up to you if you want to do it for me It took me to beat all quests, sans dlc is about 80hrs or so.

I played over 100 hours of Morrowind and never finished the story. I doubt I'll ever finish Oblivion's main quest either. And I don't think that's the point of these games anyway.

I'm still enjoying wandering around Oblivion, though. I look forward to getting lost in Skyrim.

Danj

So I picked this up in the Midweek Madness Steam sale yesterday, is there anything I need to know before I start playing? Figured that since I can't get Skyrim yet, this would be the next best thing.

Toby

Danj said:
So I picked this up in the Midweek Madness Steam sale yesterday, is there anything I need to know before I start playing? Figured that since I can't get Skyrim yet, this would be the next best thing.
Ledsen had a good thread on mods: http://neogaf.net/forum/showthread.php?t=405321
I'd at least use the graphical enhancement ones to begin with. Knowing how boring Oblivion is with the scaling, though, I would recommend using oscuros or similar.

rockx4

So, I tried replaying Oblivion again after finishing and loving Skyrim. I was never able to get into Oblivion. I think I tried it on 3 different occasions, installed a bunch of addons and then get bored or frustrated.

Am I doing something wrong or is Oblivion not a very good game, despite it's rave reviews? After a few hours, I'm level 5 and in Kvatch, and I'm getting my ass handed to me lol. The combat feels slow, clunky compared to Skyrim. And the mobs are insanely hard at times. I got mobbed by 2 clanfear runts and some imps, and a conjurer as I entered Kvatch and despite my best efforts (killed 4 of them), I end up dying.

This isn't the only time, there are other parts where the combat feels okay, then there are parts where the mobs just won't die despite my repeated attacks. (Martin... that priest, seems a hell of a lot stronger than me).

I'm really trying to have fun with the game, but I think I must be doing something wrong. Skyrim on the other hand was amazing. The quests were a lot easier to find, the atmosphere seemed better, and combat felt more fluid. I really want to like oblivion, but it feels frustrating and tedious.

Sarcasm

Melee combat is just as clunky in Skyrim as it is in Oblivion..well abit its more like Fallout.

I don't really know how to tell if OOO mod is working.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So, I tried replaying Oblivion again after finishing and loving Skyrim. I was never able to get into Oblivion. I think I tried it on 3 different occasions, installed a bunch of addons and then get bored or frustrated.

Am I doing something wrong or is Oblivion not a very good game, despite it's rave reviews? After a few hours, I'm level 5 and in Kvatch, and I'm getting my ass handed to me lol. The combat feels slow, clunky compared to Skyrim. And the mobs are insanely hard at times. I got mobbed by 2 clanfear runts and some imps, and a conjurer as I entered Kvatch and despite my best efforts (killed 4 of them), I end up dying.

This isn't the only time, there are other parts where the combat feels okay, then there are parts where the mobs just won't die despite my repeated attacks. (Martin... that priest, seems a hell of a lot stronger than me).

I'm really trying to have fun with the game, but I think I must be doing something wrong. Skyrim on the other hand was amazing. The quests were a lot easier to find, the atmosphere seemed better, and combat felt more fluid. I really want to like oblivion, but it feels frustrating and tedious.
I know this is a little backseat moddy, so forgive me for this: just repost your question/opinion in the Skyrim thread. The vast majority of people who played Oblivion probably playing Skyrim now anyways and that thread has far more traffic going through it.

Realize that the "rave reviews" for Oblivion were put out when the game came out...the game was practically a launch title for 360 and it hasn't aged well.

The combination of Oblivion's leveling system and the fact that the world levels up with you can cause your character to be crippled if you level up without some planning. My first character was useless about 20 hours in because I didn't fully understand the leveling system.

Remembering back to the stupid shit I did to make an optimally leveled character in Oblivion makes me so happy that they changed it completely. I remember keeping track of skill level ups on a piece of paper to make sure I would get the maximum attribute points when I leveled my character. Using just about every skill except my major skills. It was kind of sad.

The combination of Oblivion's leveling system and the fact that the world levels up with you can cause your character to be crippled if you level up without some planning. My first character was useless about 20 hours in because I didn't fully understand the leveling system.

Remembering back to the stupid shit I did to make an optimally leveled character in Oblivion makes me so happy that they changed it completely. I remember keeping track of skill level ups on a piece of paper to make sure I would get the maximum attribute points when I leveled my character. Using just about every skill except my major skills. It was kind of sad.

Yeah did the same thing this summer, at the time it felt kind of fun in a 'beat the system' sort of way, but it ultimately ruins the experience. I wonder if any modders will take the time to transplant a system more like Skyrim's into Oblivion. Only way I could ever see myself going back to that game now.

cjsnapp

Neo Member
so after about 3 days worth of modding, i've been playing Oblivion quite a bit. 11 hours of actual playing in 2 days to be exact. i'm using OOO and Oblivion XP my first time around and i'm totally engrossed in the game. i highly recommend both. i kinda wish i started earlier so i could jump into Skyrim sooner but i imagine by then, there should be some nice mods for Skyrim.

While playing Skyrim, I am finding myself way more interested in the Daedra and the Oblivion Crisis than I ever was when I played Oblivion's main quest.

I'm totally going to go back and run through the main quest again soon just for the lore :)

lucius

So I decided to pick up the GOTY edition for 360 played a couple hours and closed the 1st Oblivion gate, does this game force you to close many of these gates because I didn't enjoy that part so much. Can I just avoid doing those or is that the main game?

So I decided to pick up the GOTY edition for 360 played a couple hours and closed the 1st Oblivion gate, does this game force you to close many of these gates because I didn't enjoy that part so much. Can I just avoid doing those or is that the main game?
It doesn't make you do too many, I think it's somewhere around
. When you wander around the world you'll find a bunch, but unless it's one of the few that you have to go into for the main quest you can just keep on walking.

Slermy

It doesn't make you do too many, I think it's somewhere around
. When you wander around the world you'll find a bunch, but unless it's one of the few that you have to go into for the main quest you can just keep on walking.

Actually, it's far less than that. I think it's closer to
three
. You only need to do that many if you
want to help each city and recruit a guard from those locations

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim

It's pretty useful to do them just to get the stones that let you enchant your equipment though. It's been a while since I last played, but I think their quality scales with your level, so it'd be best to wait a while to start closing them. I still remember my lovely Night Vision Boots.

Sooooo...how are you supposed to do anything in this game?
I have no idea what I'm doing, can't find any quests, no one will say anything relevant to me, have no money, nothing.

Everything is poorly explained and I'm not sure why I'm doing anything.

The only thing I know to do is (for some reason) walk into some giant gate of fire to rescue some guy so that I can recruit him to rescue another guy.

Except everything inside the gate gangs up on me and kills me.

I mean, is there any way to actually play the game or are you just supposed to die over and over again?

I've wasted an hour trying to kill these things but no matter what I do they kill me.

Slermy

If you're having trouble, you can adjust the difficulty slider, or perhaps do some lesser quests in towns?

What kind of build are you playing?

Necromancy isn't allowed in Cyrodil, but apparently it is on GAF.

You do various quests. Go to towns, join a guild, just do quests. Unless you're a really nimble magic user, the Oblivion gates are going to beat a new character pretty badly.

I didn't really mean it sucks, I was just frustrated.

I'm playing a Bard, but I don't really know what effect that has on anything.
I really should have read the manual before playing.

I actually didn't want to do this quest because it seems like it's part of the main story, but I couldn't find anything else to do.

I have been screwed over so many times already.
When I went to go talk to the monk about the Emperor's secret son, he told me that I could use anything in his chest for the journey. Inside was a bunch of weapons and armor better than my stuff. I was at maximum weight so I dropped all my stuff and took all of his.
Then I rode a horse for 4 hours to the Oblivion gate, and when I got there, I dismount to take on those little demon things, and find out that I can't equip any of the weapons!!!

All it says is "You cannot equip this weapon."
I'm guessing I'm not skilled enough or something.

So I'm running around punching these things in the head.
I went inside the gate and joined up with a knight but he got killed by a rock slide.

Then I went inside some demonic castle, but I didn't think it was going to be this hard, so I saved a few times. Now I'm stuck in the gate and every time I try to make it to the exit I get killed.
fuck.

Top Bottom