• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Jokeropia

Enemies scale with your level so unless you're getting a good stat bonus each time you level up (3x5 is the max), chances are you're making the game harder the higher you go.

I planned out my stat gains in advance (made sure I used the specific skills I needed to use enough times to gain +5 in the three stats I wanted) until I had maxed all my stats and promptly stopped leveling. (I think at level 23 or something.)

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Verano said:
Seriously wtf...:lol
I watched my lil bro pass thru the Kvatch Castle post-closure of the Oblivion Gate to defeat them Oblivion creatures and liberate the place. He fought Scamps and whatnot.
He lets me borrow the game and I start a new game. Instead of doing the Main Quest and liberating Kvatch, I spent all my time doing sidequests and level myself up to level 17. I grew tired of doing sidequest and wanted to liberate Kvatch then locate the heir. As I start sieging Kvatch's town area, I noticed monsters that were too fuckin powerful than what my bro fought. I saw no scamps. I saw Storm/Frost Atronarchs, Oblivion Mages, Clannfears whom I fuckin hate, the She-Spider Sorceress, etc.
This is just too much to fight them powerful sons of bitches especially the Frost Atronarchs. I may end up bald cuz Im so frustrated that I get picked off easy by them. Anyone know how to kill them quicker?? Also Clannfears too.

FYI, Im a Imperial and doing the warrior class.

Since ive been playing oblivion for the past week or so i would say do what i did and go ahead and do shivering isles as it gives some godly gear to help balance with the level scaling. I had alot of problems with kvatch as well. Doing SI pretty much saved the game for me.

I feel incredibly powerful over anything now

Jokeropia said:
Enemies scale with your level so unless you're getting a good stat bonus each time you level up (3x5 is the max), chances are you're making the game harder the higher you go.

I planned out my stat gains in advance (made sure I used the specific skills I needed to use enough times to gain +5 in the three stats I wanted) until I had maxed all my stats and promptly stopped leveling. (I think at level 23 or something.)

Or you can just turn the difficulty down, it's a bit cheap but then you don't have to do all that lame skill grinding right before you level up to make sure you get the stat boosts that you want.

Also, I want Elder Scrolls V!!! Though tbh I wouldn't mind waiting for the next-gen of consoles just to see how awesome it would be.

Jokeropia

It definitely got a little exhausting at times when levelling acrobatics and athletics for example, but once I had reached my optimal level about 70 hours in it made the remaining 300 hours or so I spent on the game an absolute joy. :D

Fitz

Munba said:
Neherim in english, finally released :)

http://www.nehrim.de/dataEV.html

Slightly late but I've been trying that out recently, only about 30 mins into it so far but it's playing out very nicely. They've done some serious messing around with the graphical quality sliders though I think, with all the settings in game on max I can dip down to about 35fps when looking over the big valley at the start, and that's on a GTX580. I'm guessing they've just increased the maximum number the sliders allow, but I don't know for sure.

Jokeropia said:
It definitely got a little exhausting at times when levelling acrobatics and athletics for example, but once I had reached my optimal level about 70 hours in it made the remaining 300 hours or so I spent on the game an absolute joy. :D

:lol Reminds me of the days I'd leave my character auto running into a wall and go out all day.

Colkate said:
:lol Reminds me of the days I'd leave my character auto running into a wall and go out all day.

I really hope you didn't have that skill set to level from. :)

Elder Scrolls really owns noobs in the most hilarious ways. "Oh look I can level to max only by auto-running! Bethesda are so stupid lol! Oh wait why is this troll stomping me to bits? Bethesda sucks lol!"

I miss the early days of Oblivion. So much agony.

Hey, this may be an odd request but has anyone made a mod that strips out the RPG elements for combat? Making it more of an action game in the vein of say Dark Messiah where you and every enemy has set balanced stats and such?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Danne-Danger said:
Hey, this may be an odd request but has anyone made a mod that strips out the RPG elements for combat? Making it more of an action game in the vein of say Dark Messiah where you and every enemy has set balanced stats and such?

That is a good question.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Verano said:
Seriously wtf...:lol
I watched my lil bro pass thru the Kvatch Castle post-closure of the Oblivion Gate to defeat them Oblivion creatures and liberate the place. He fought Scamps and whatnot.
He lets me borrow the game and I start a new game. Instead of doing the Main Quest and liberating Kvatch, I spent all my time doing sidequests and level myself up to level 17. I grew tired of doing sidequest and wanted to liberate Kvatch then locate the heir. As I start sieging Kvatch's town area, I noticed monsters that were too fuckin powerful than what my bro fought. I saw no scamps. I saw Storm/Frost Atronarchs, Oblivion Mages, Clannfears whom I fuckin hate, the She-Spider Sorceress, etc.
This is just too much to fight them powerful sons of bitches especially the Frost Atronarchs. I may end up bald cuz Im so frustrated that I get picked off easy by them. Anyone know how to kill them quicker?? Also Clannfears too.

FYI, Im a Imperial and doing the warrior class.

This happened to me as well :lol :lol ! I just picked them off one by one, used sneak, and just ran the fuck out until I got the sewer tunnel. After that I kept running, NPCs came in and evened out the battles not only from the people inside the castle but with the spawning enemies from the door (some do follow you). Now, the trek inside the castle was an even bigger bitch but I just ran forward until the event point and ran the hell out of there again. Was a challenging run :lol

Eccocid

I wish next TES game plays more like Morrowind. Less auto travel, no marks on maps. I ısed to spent hours to find a cave or temple enterance for quests in Morrowind in wilderness...Some ppl might find it annoying but it was actually fun to travel in to wilderness with the give guide by an NPC lol

Eccocid said:
I wish next TES game plays more like Morrowind. Less auto travel, no marks on maps. I ısed to spent hours to find a cave or temple enterance for quests in Morrowind in wilderness...Some ppl might find it annoying but it was actually fun to travel in to wilderness with the give guide by an NPC lol
Just mod Oblivion to remove fast travel and map markers

Jokeropia

Colkate said:
Yeah I did some of that too for athletics. Acrobatics was more of a hands on approach, jumping down an appropriate mountain and then fast-travelling back to the top. Theoretically you could just leave the controller jumping in a corner as well, but you level faster by falling from high distances.

A high acrobatics allowed me to keep the
Boots of Springheel Jak
and then get their effect permabound to me after the Sanguine quest. With an acrobatics of 150+ you can jump on to the rooftops in most towns.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
water_wendi said:
omg i would love to see a Kinect TES :lol Finally the crazy people can be fully "immersed."

Yeah, it would be interesting to see how that would worth for a game with hours and hours of WALKING and a lot of inventory management.

Fitz

SiegfriedFM said:
I really hope you didn't have that skill set to level from. :)

I most certainly did. :p At least early on before I knew how the leveling system worked, obviously that caused me a lot of agony. Of course like most people I quickly realized and started using skills I'd never use as my majors, at least until I started modding my troubles away.

scoobs

Hate to bring back an old thread but after seeing Skyrim im getting the itch to finally play this game... worth it? Ps3 or PC?

Ledsen

scoobs said:
Hate to bring back an old thread but after seeing Skyrim im getting the itch to finally play this game... worth it? Ps3 or PC?
If normal oblivion is à 3/10, modded pc oblivion is à 9. Look for My thread with à huge mod guide, it's called tes IV: oblivion - so you want to use mods, eh? Or something similar.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
scoobs said:

I own the PS3 one and its fine, just make sure to cure yourself when you contract a certain Vampire disease. The PS3 versions quest to cure yourself (once you become a full fledged vampire) is broken, so you stay a vampire (which is fun at first but not for the rest of the game).

Other than that, visuals would be way better on the PC and there's various mods but I really like these sort of games on my comfy couch. Connecting your PC to a TV with a gamepad would be the best of both worlds.

JoeBoy101 said:
Need more details. What do you not like about? Which system? etc.

Ive never played an Elder Scrolls game before but I adored FO3. I loved the Skyrim trailer so I thought I would check this out.

I just find it really boring. I dont feel immersed, I really friggin hate the gameplay.

Its weird from the trailer alone, I found the Skrim premise to be fascinating and couldnt wait to jump into that world, but I play Oblivion and I just feel so uninterested.

I think perhaps that the Skrim trailer killed it for me.

JoeBoy101

Drealmcc0y said:

Ive never played an Elder Scrolls game before but I adored FO3. I loved the Skyrim trailer so I thought I would check this out.

I just find it really boring. I dont feel immersed, I really friggin hate the gameplay.

Its weird from the trailer alone, I found the Skrim premise to be fascinating and couldnt wait to jump into that world, but I play Oblivion and I just feel so uninterested.

I think perhaps that the Skrim trailer killed it for me.

Problem also is that is a 5 year old game. On the PC, there is a wealth of mods to download to help spruce it up and make it look and play better. But on the 360, not much you can do with that.

JoeBoy101 said:
Problem also is that is a 5 year old game. On the PC, there is a wealth of mods to download to help spruce it up and make it look and play better. But on the 360, not much you can do with that.

Yeah the graphics are pretty bad.

But I can overlook that. I mean I still to this day play the old Final Fantasy games from 10 years past and love the storyline and the character etc.

I just really dont enjoy it.

JoeBoy101

Drealmcc0y said:
Yeah the graphics are pretty bad.

But I can overlook that. I mean I still to this day play the old Final Fantasy games from 10 years past and love the storyline and the character etc.

I just really dont enjoy it.

Be forewarned that the gameplay model will not be radically different in Skyrim. Its still an open world game where you follow quests, but aren't led in a linear fashion to any particular location.

Criticisms of Oblivion included the stale environment and dungeons it used, so not sure if that's what's boring you as well.

JoeBoy101 said:
Be forewarned that the gameplay model will not be radically different in Skyrim. Its still an open world game where you follow quests, but aren't led in a linear fashion to any particular location.

Criticisms of Oblivion included the stale environment and dungeons it used, so not sure if that's what's boring you as well.

The whole world and the characters seem so bland to me.

I was sucked into FO3 right out of the gate.

All ive experienced so far is that far too long dungeon and that annoying king.

Then i explore for an hour and find nothing but the same old NPCs telling me to do generics quests in this bland looking world.

Skrim looks so lush with amazing environments that I want to get lost in.

bjork

I had to put Oblivion down twice before I finally got into it. I played mostly by sneaking and using bows, because I didn't like the melee or the magic too much. After that, I had fun just exploring and seeing what was out there.

Try and join guilds for more specific quests, the thieves' guild was a pretty fun one. There are also some cool things to see, like the suicide troll, the end to the quest in Border Watch, and if you have Shivering Isles, there's a pretty unique way to die there. Lots of little things like that kept me interested for about 80 hours or so.

Baywatch

Neo Member
The leveling system in Oblivion killed it for me. I tried to jump in without reading anything about how it works, spent two days leveling as fast as I could until finally I realized that I had out leveled myself and made the game to difficult to play. Such a retarded system ><

kodt

Banned
Started a new game recently and now my Theif has 100% Chameleon gear.

First I had to steal 4 Grand Soul Gems. Which were stolen from various Mages Guilds.

Then I needed a Soul Trap spell, my Mysticism wasn't high enough, so I needed to find a trainer and level this skill a bit.

Then I needed 4 grand Souls, but I wasn't high enough level for there to be many mobs with grand souls so I had to convert them to Black Soul Gems. To do this I had to find a Necromancer Altar and wait several days for the right day and then convert them.

Once I had my Black Souls I had to capture the souls, which was easily done by clearing out a bandit camp.

Before I could create the enchant I needed to have the chameleon spell, but it required Illusion level 50, my Illusion was at level 10. Instead I found the Doomstone which grants a chameleon ability.

With Grand Soul levels I could create a 25% chameleon constant effect enchant. I enchanted 1 ring, 1 amulet, 1 leggings, and 1 hood.

Now I can run around and steal anything and even attack without being seen.

CyReN

With Skyrim coming out I finally decided to rebuy this game and give it another shot. I LOVED Fallout 3 and I like games/movies based in "olden fantasy magic time". This game seemed perfect. I'm starting to replay and I have no idea what the hell is going on or where to go. Everything in the menu and story is confusing and the gameplay seems really bland. Maybe it's because of the games age but I really have no issues playing older games in the past. I keep pushing myself to play it and it isn't working..

I just completed The Path of Dawn mission also.

ps: Yes I'm very excited for Skyrim.

Hootie

kodt said:
Started a new game recently and now my Theif has 100% Chameleon gear.

First I had to steal 4 Grand Soul Gems. Which were stolen from various Mages Guilds.

Then I needed a Soul Trap spell, my Mysticism wasn't high enough, so I needed to find a trainer and level this skill a bit.

Then I needed 4 grand Souls, but I wasn't high enough level for there to be many mobs with grand souls so I had to convert them to Black Soul Gems. To do this I had to find a Necromancer Altar and wait several days for the right day and then convert them.

Once I had my Black Souls I had to capture the souls, which was easily done by clearing out a bandit camp.

Before I could create the enchant I needed to have the chameleon spell, but it required Illusion level 50, my Illusion was at level 10. Instead I found the Doomstone which grants a chameleon ability.

With Grand Soul levels I could create a 25% chameleon constant effect enchant. I enchanted 1 ring, 1 amulet, 1 leggings, and 1 hood.

Now I can run around and steal anything and even attack without being seen.

Hahaha, after I beat mostly everything in the game I did this. Its pretty fun being 100% hidden

I'm on the lookout for a GotY-edition for the Xbox 360. Have the original and most of the DLC, but figured it couldn't hurt having it on disc-form. The original 360 version is also missing this song, while the GotY edition supposedly has it. Too bad most copies I find are rather expensive.

Anyways, I decided to jump back in after having finished my Main Quest - Shivering Isles playthrough a while ago. I've got it all planned out: my current character, a Nord Barbarian, will do the Collector, Fighter's Guild and Knights of the Nine questlines. I'll then make a mage for the Mages guild, and finish off my playthroughs with a sneaky character for the Thieves Guild and the Dark Brotherhood.

The world's not as interesting as Morrowind, and the graphics are really flawed at this point in time, but dammit, I'm having fun. :lol

The Chef

So Im about to start another play-though tonight. The one class I have never done before is a Mage. Any suggestions on a killer mage character setup?

J_incredible

Neo Member
I've recently started playing Oblivion again on PC as I recently bought a brand new monster PC and am preparing myself for Skyrim...

Could someone that's an experienced player and mod user suggest some of the better Oblivion mods to include for PC?

So I purchased the 5th anniversary edition.. quick question does this edition include thieves den and the orrery and that stuff? or is that always separate stuff you have to buy?

bengraven

Apparently not.

The anniversary edition of Oblivion will release for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 for the incredibly low price of $29.99 (the price of two Call of Duty map packs). It comes with both of the major DLC expansions, the traditional game map and a sweet metal collector’s case.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion: With the empire ready to crumble, the gates of Oblivion open and demons march upon the land. You must find the lost heir to the throne and unravel the sinister plot that threatens to destroy all of Tamriel.
Knights of the Nine: A fallen King has been unchained from the darkness of Oblivion to seek vengeance upon the Gods who banished him. Only a champion pure of heart can vanquish the evil that has been released.
Shivering Isles: Enter the torn realm of Sheogorath – a world where Mania and Dementia reign. Do you have the strength to survive his trials, to tame a realm fraught with paranoia and despair, and wear the mantle of a God?

Says nothing of any other DLC.

I got the 5 yr anniversary edition for PS3 hoping it would have trophies. I am disappointed lol.

I now own the game in 4 ways.

Oblivion CE 360
Oblivion Regular 360 (Bought shivering isles and knights of the nine, too)
Oblivion GOTY PC
Oblivion 5 yr edition PS3

Bethesda loves me.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I bought this game twice and I still don't get it :(

I won't give up though! maybe I'm doing it wrong, what class/race should I go for ?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
-Yeti said:
Be a Redguard. Fists only. Show no mercy.

haha seriously ? that doesn't sound right :p but what do I know

alright I'll go with that as soon as I finish my Riddick run. I'm using my fists only in Riddick anyway :p

Yurt said:
I bought this game twice and I still don't get it :(

I won't give up though! maybe I'm doing it wrong, what class/race should I go for ?
High Elf Dude. You have amounts of magic that other classes could only dream of. Most class perks are meh. You might not start off with the best stats initially, but you can make up for it later by working on your stats.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Creating_an_Awesome_Character

Invest in endurance and luck, too. You need to maximize your health and luck from as early as possible.

Yurt said:
haha seriously ? that doesn't sound right :p but what do I know

alright I'll go with that as soon as I finish my Riddick run. I'm using my fists only in Riddick anyway :p
I was only semi-serious haha. It's actually what I'm doing right now and I'm enjoying it. But if you really wanna get serious, I would take the other guy's advice and start as a High Elf

Ten hours into my final Oblivion run. Chose a Fighter class, as I've never played one before (Thief/Assassin/Rogue almost exclusively). It's fun being able to run right up to guys and fuck them up, as opposed to the sneak attacks I've always known. Almost have a full set of Steel Armor now. Curiass looks like shit though, especially on a female. Still finding the odd cave/Ayelid ruin that I've never seen before. Five years later and this game is still showing me new stuff.

Top Bottom