• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online |OT2| Unlimited Crowns, Limited Skooma

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Just bought IC and fiddled with for a while and it's amazing. The Imperial Sewers is like some horror game shit going on, specially when you solo it, you never know who is lurking around waiting to gank you so there's always that feeling of not being safe at any moment.

If Orsinium is this good, then I'm all over it. ZOS has made some shit decisions, but the DLC they are pushing is good quality stuff.

Also one thing that IC fixed is the lag in Cyrodiil, splitting up the server between two difference instances, in this case Cyrodiil and Imperial City, probably made it a lot more manageable for the pvp server to handle. Things are pretty smooth now, I'm very very impressed.

Wallach

Controller support means I'll probably switch my subscription back over to PC. May just start over since I don't think I was all that happy with my character's looks when I started, which wasn't that long before the console versions came out. Though with a bunch of stuff also landing around that time I imagine it'll take a while before I get anything done in Tamriel.

Brohan

I'll repost here since this thread seems more active:

How does this compare to a singleplayer elder scrolls game?

I really enjoyed Skyrim and i can get this game for €20 on the PS4, so i was wondering if it is worth it.

Are the European ps4 servers active? Debating whether to buy for PC or PS4..
I'd kind of like it for the ps4 because it's gathering dust atm and i like to play with a controller.

hepburn3d

I'll repost here since this thread seems more active:

How does this compare to a singleplayer elder scrolls game?

Hard to say. It's not Skyrim. It's an MMO with an elder scrolls wrapper. The world isn't as intricate but it's bigger and more ranged. You can single player most of the game, though it's more fun with a friend.

I really enjoyed Skyrim and i can get this game for €20 on the PS4, so i was wondering if it is worth it.

Are the European ps4 servers active? Debating whether to buy for PC or PS4..
I'd kind of like it for the ps4 because it's gathering dust atm and i like to play with a controller.

Controller support for PC is coming in 2 weeks. It's lovely :) no idea how busy PS4 servers are but PC is still very active, though the PC guild is very quiet now days. In 2 weeks I expect a couple of people will come back due to controller support.

hepburn3d

Right the steam controller makes this game a pleasure.

EU PC guild is back online. Will get the title changed on 2nd November when it has controller support as I imagine that may bring a few people back.

Going to get a ESO+ sub for 6months as the orsinium DLC has been amazing on PTS 10/10 would recommend.

Wallach

Huzzah, controller support finally on PC. Still keeping the game locked at 30 FPS like on PS4, but playing fully maxed out downsampling from 2160p without a single frame drop in sight and playing with my Elite controller feels awesome. Nice to have text chat back as well.

Started over as an Argonian Templar in Ebonhart Pact and am quite happy. Their starting areas seem much nicer to look at than Daggerfall Covenant's.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
After an extended period away I randomly got the urge to update and launch this yesterday. I was thrilled to see controller support finally added. I messed around with it a little bit and it made some areas of navigation a little more obtuse, but overall felt good. Curious to see how it holds up in fast paced combat situations.

It's unfortunate that they did the annoying MMO thing where they refunded all 100+ of my character's skill points. I absolutely hate when games do this because it always throws me off so hard and makes me re-learn how to build my character and play the game from the ground up. Can't even count how many MMOs I tried to return to after an absence and just given up completely because I didn't want to learn how to re-spec my character.

lazygecko

I was considering getting the Steam controller but I wasn't really feeling up to beta testing a piece of hardware. Do you just get a new controller when it's done, or was the hardware already finalized? But I guess it's too late to opt in for testing at this point.

Also I'm curious over how the new Orsinium armor sets look.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Steam controllers are final now. They were shipped out to people that preordered them a few weeks ago. I don't think it's what you're looking for in this game however. Regular Xbox contoller or Dual Shock works just fine. The controller UI is completely redone to be like it is on the consoles.

LiQuid!

I don't get it, then why were you planning on getting a Steam controller? Plenty of reasons to own a controller if you have a PC that can run games on it. I'd recommend either of the console's controllers over the Steam controller is all I'm saying.

lazygecko

I have never felt comfortable with any of the traditional console controllers for 3D navigation. Thought I'd give Steam's controller the benefit of the doubt since it operates differently.

hepburn3d

I have never felt comfortable with any of the traditional console controllers for 3D navigation. Thought I'd give Steam's controller the benefit of the doubt since it operates differently.

I'm currently playing with the steam controller. Love it. Prefer the mouse aiming and I've rebound a few buttons that are more useful. Plus with the grips I can hit abilities a lot easier

Jtrizzy

Finally, controller support. What the hell is up with performance though? Is there any way to get 1080p60? I have SLI 970's and a 2600k@4.5 and still get tons of drops...any advice.

lazygecko

Finally, controller support. What the hell is up with performance though? Is there any way to get 1080p60? I have SLI 970's and a 2600k@4.5 and still get tons of drops...any advice.

The game is very inconsistent performance-wise. I can't remember if it was always this way or if some recent patch screwed it up... For instance in Stros M'Kai my framerate will gradually sink until it gets visibly choppy. I even tried lowering the resolution and graphical settings which seemed to do nothing to halt this. Then I switch to another zone in the game and everything is smooth sailing 60+ again.

Some kind of memory leak problem?

hepburn3d

The game is very inconsistent performance-wise. I can't remember if it was always this way or if some recent patch screwed it up... For instance in Stros M'Kai my framerate will gradually sink until it gets visibly choppy. I even tried lowering the resolution and graphical settings which seemed to do nothing to halt this. Then I switch to another zone in the game and everything is smooth sailing 60+ again.

Some kind of memory leak problem?

Not sure. It seems really CPU intensive but then at 4.5GHZ you shouldn't be getting any problems. It is 32 bit which is a pain. Apparently a 64 bit version is coming and is in the works, might make a difference.

Sorry for slow replies online gecko. Chatting and combat don't go hand in hand with the steam controller :p

For anyone considering the steam controller I recommend the following tweaks

Template B
Bind all buttons as controller except right touch pad. Make that mouse. Then on left d-pad press turn the right touch pad into stick for your consumable wheel and emote wheel.
You'll also need to manually bind dodge to LT+A in the in game menu.
I have LG and RG as X and B for the abilities though I'm still not sure on all this still. Thinking about making X dodge and using keyboard inputs for abilities.

Still more tweaking to do...

lazygecko

I don't really understand the champion point system. I've put 16 points in The Tower, The Ritual and The Lord, but I only received the rank 10 passive from The Ritual? Why am I not getting the passives from the other trees?

lazygecko

I need help remembering the names/links of two addons I used to have: One that removed the icons from the button prompts (like e to pick up items) and one that stops the game messing with your camera and character pose when going into menus.

hepburn3d

I don't really understand the champion point system. I've put 16 points in The Tower, The Ritual and The Lord, but I only received the rank 10 passive from The Ritual? Why am I not getting the passives from the other trees?
That's odd? Have you figure this out yet? All I know is it takes a minimum of 10 points per section to get the passive of that section. Maybe it has unlocked? Or a UI error?

lazygecko

That's odd? Have you figure this out yet? All I know is it takes a minimum of 10 points per section to get the passive of that section. Maybe it has unlocked? Or a UI error?

Actually it does seem I have them. The stars just don't light up as bright as the active ones you pick. And on top of that, the special animation for activating the passive doesn't always seem to play which is probably what mainly confused me (Only the animation for The Ritual played). Overall it's just doing a poor job of properly conveying the information to the player.

There are several issues like that with the UI actually. All the map markers being in black and white for one. More of them should be color coded, because I often get lost and can't even find the player position on the map.

hepburn3d

Anybody else is having these framerate drops in towns and cities?

Lag can cause serious frame drops which is weird. If it's peak time I can go down to 10 fps :/ which is horrible.

Completed orsinium! Epic location. The costume rewards for doing it are, in my opinion, the best outfits in the game. 10/10 would recommend.

Also made it to stage 5 of the MS arena. Holy hell stage 2 is brutal. Those spinning blades and the dwemer all over the place!!!!

Again 10/10 would recommend the arena. Really good laughs stuck on 5 but will figure it out :)

lazygecko

After lots of tweaking I've got the game looking closer to what I'd like now. Downsampled 1620p to further mitgate aliasing (the game being mostly CPU bound apparently makes it more downsampling friendly), and running with SweetFX 2.0 with a custom profile which was a bit of a bitch to get working with the game. GAEM PURDY NOW

eso2015-11-0802-22-21qmr5q.png

eso2015-11-0801-51-092wqd9.png

eso2015-11-0802-40-11d9rf8.png

I'll be sure to take some scenic screenshots of Orsinium/Wrothgar in all its mountainty glory.

hepburn3d

I'm thinking of buying it on this Steam sale. Are you guys enjoying the game?

It's my go to MMO now though I've played so much of the content I'm on a break playing other games now. It's absolutely brilliant though now. Very polished. My favourite co-op game next to GTAV

Arkhanor

I definitely feel like it is one of the best MMOs to just wander around and explore in. Maybe only second to Guild Wars 2.

Thanks! I love the Elder Scrolls lore (thanks to Oblivion) and in the MMO genre I've been playing WoW and Guild Wars 2 (I still don't have the expansion) for quite some time and I've been keeping an eye on ESO. Thanks to you guys I'm more inclined to buy it now. Thanks again!

LiQuid!

If you've got GW2 experience you know what to expect from this. ESO apes a lot of stuff that makes GW2 awesome. I enjoy both games for sure.

Speely

Banned
Friends. I have been sans-internet for months now. I had only just begun to fall for Orsinium after it dropped and then life attacked. In a new home now and am getting le interwebs next week. Chomping at the bit to dive back into ESO. Any noteworthy developments I should know about since the Orsinium launch?

Also, I rock a Steam controller now and think ESO will be perfect for it. Any configuration advice is very welcome. I have a setup in mind, but theoretical setups never seem to live up to how awesome I think they will be.

hepburn3d

Friends. I have been sans-internet for months now. I had only just begun to fall for Orsinium after it dropped and then life attacked. In a new home now and am getting le interwebs next week. Chomping at the bit to dive back into ESO. Any noteworthy developments I should know about since the Orsinium launch?

Also, I rock a Steam controller now and think ESO will be perfect for it. Any configuration advice is very welcome. I have a setup in mind, but theoretical setups never seem to live up to how awesome I think they will be.

I use a steam controller. It is amazing. I've shared my config. My tips are use mouse for right pad. Shift mode the right pad to a stick when using the left pad so you can select from the item wheel when in console UI mode.

I also make long hold off B crouch and make right pad click dodge. Is great in combat. Right paddles can be X and B for combat so you rarely have to take your hands off any buttons.

Few changes since orsinium really that I'm aware of. Vet ranks will soon be going! That's going to be huge.

Speely

Banned
I use a steam controller. It is amazing. I've shared my config. My tips are use mouse for right pad. Shift mode the right pad to a stick when using the left pad so you can select from the item wheel when in console UI mode.

I also make long hold off B crouch and make right pad click dodge. Is great in combat. Right paddles can be X and B for combat so you rarely have to take your hands off any buttons.

Few changes since orsinium really that I'm aware of. Vet ranks will soon be going! That's going to be huge.

Nice thanks! Your config sounds good. I like the idea of right pad click for dodge especially. I am thinking of binding attack to trigger pull and my main attack skill (Puncturing Sweep for my main) to trigger click for one-button weaving. Not sure how well it will work, but I like the idea.

hepburn3d

Nice thanks! Your config sounds good. I like the idea of right pad click for dodge especially. I am thinking of binding attack to trigger pull and my main attack skill (Puncturing Sweep for my main) to trigger click for one-button weaving. Not sure how well it will work, but I like the idea.

Yea definitely experiment. Cool idea. I have the triggers as default triggers. Then on hard pull right I have left mouse click for selecting my add on buttons. On hard click left I have bound it to X on the keyboard which I use for synergy. I find synergy can be temperamental so it made sense to be blocking while trying to activate it. Much better than B and Y which can sometimes waste Magicka or stamina if it activates an ability you didn't want to use.

Speely

Banned
Yea definitely experiment. Cool idea. I have the triggers as default triggers. Then on hard pull right I have left mouse click for selecting my add on buttons. On hard click left I have bound it to X on the keyboard which I use for synergy. I find synergy can be temperamental so it made sense to be blocking while trying to activate it. Much better than B and Y which can sometimes waste Magicka or stamina if it activates an ability you didn't want to use.

Ooooh great idea for synergy. I agree that it's tempermental and during play can be the least intuitive dynamic to utilize. The hard left click + blocking for pull is actually brilliant and will make synergy SO much more usable for me. Thanks homie!

Top Bottom