• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online |OT2| Unlimited Crowns, Limited Skooma

Freeman76

Bought this on PS4 for 12 quid in sainsburies. Sure, its all been done better elsewhere, but it aint bad for 12 spuds, sure i will get a few hours enjoyment exploring these lands

Speely

Banned
Bought this on PS4 for 12 quid in sainsburies. Sure, its all been done better elsewhere, but it aint bad for 12 spuds, sure i will get a few hours enjoyment exploring these lands

Actually, in regard to exploring Tamriel, ESO is great. The realization of the setting is quite good, and rewards wandering quite well. Have fun :)

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
direct x 12 is coming down the line and extended lod is something they hope to work on without breaking immersion and the new dlc will have extended views over other maps

Q: Is a DX12 upgrade a possibility in the future? ESO runs pretty darn well, except when there are many things requiring animation on screen at once. My slight understanding of this is that there are too many "draw calls" going out in such situations, and that DX12 handles them drastically better. Right now I run my game on lower settings specifically because of the lower framerate I get in cities, and it sounds like DX12 could improve the situation.

A: Yes, we are planning on a DX12 upgrade and expect that this will give us a number of graphics performance improvements. We cannot provide an ETA at this time, but it is something we’re working towards.

Q: First, can we get the fog pushed back? The fog is constant and thick, and takes away a lot of immersion for me.

In certain situations, the fog is intended to be heavy and thick to contribute to the mood and atmosphere of the region. Aldcroft in Glenumbra, for example, is a spooky and moody place – as are many areas of Tamriel. The fog distances do change based on weather and time of day, and yes, we are able to change them. But, we have set maximum fog distances in each environment to hide other immersion-breaking issues such as LOD (line of distance) transitions, and very low-detail terrain, the worst culprits being the mountains and large rock features in the geography. This is an old issue and something we have been slowly working on addressing.

Additional LODs for all of the environment assets is somewhat prohibitive, but we are working through the problem. We have improved our tree LOD system and our skybox system so that we can have trees draw further in the distance and create the illusion of extended background mountain ranges, so the fog distance in Orsinium (the zone for our next upcoming DLC game pack), is set somewhat farther back than other zones. We would like to go back through the older zones and update them accordingly, but that work is currently lower priority than creating new DLC zones.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Is there a NeoGAF guild or am I too late to the party?
Picked it up on sale on PC and i'm loving it.

hepburn3d

Is there a NeoGAF guild or am I too late to the party?
Picked it up on sale on PC and i'm loving it.

There is a very quiet EU guild and I'm not sure how active the US guild is. I can invite you to the EU guild if you PM me your in game name. It's not very active but the bank has a tonne of resource that helps.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
There is a very quiet EU guild and I'm not sure how active the US guild is. I can invite you to the EU guild if you PM me your in game name. It's not very active but the bank has a tonne of resource that helps.

My in-game username is Suikosword, character name Landis Suiko.
If I need to be online, just PM me and i'll login.

Word of warning though, i'm a fickle bastard with MMORPGs can quit playing without warning.

Quick and dumb question from an MMO noob.

I've been playing and enjoying this and finally got up to level 10 to try PVP tonight, but I want to level up a bit faster to catch up with my friend who plays and has more time. So what is my best bet to power level with minimum time investment before I settle in and "play it right"?

Thanks for any input! PS I am playing on X1 if it matters.

hepburn3d

My in-game username is Suikosword, character name Landis Suiko.
If I need to be online, just PM me and i'll login.

Word of warning though, i'm a fickle bastard with MMORPGs can quit playing without warning.

Not a problem. We're very casual. I play about once a week. Feed the horses, Rob "hears the wind" of his lock box, grab a few minerals :)

Quick and dumb question from an MMO noob.

I've been playing and enjoying this and finally got up to level 10 to try PVP tonight, but I want to level up a bit faster to catch up with my friend who plays and has more time. So what is my best bet to power level with minimum time investment before I settle in and "play it right"?

Thanks for any input! PS I am playing on X1 if it matters.

Hmmm it's hard to power level now. Dungeons in group finder will be great when the next patch roles out. You'll get a bonus for doing it. Might not interest you but speeding through the PvE content may be best as you'll need skill points and the sky shards and mission skill point rewards are invaluable.

It's a game that rewards time inevestment.

Not a problem. We're very casual. I play about once a week. Feed the horses, Rob "hears the wind" of his lock box, grab a few minerals :)

Hmmm it's hard to power level now. Dungeons in group finder will be great when the next patch roles out. You'll get a bonus for doing it. Might not interest you but speeding through the PvE content may be best as you'll need skill points and the sky shards and mission skill point rewards are invaluable.

It's a game that rewards time inevestment.

Yeah that seems to be the case, and it isn't a bad thing. I simply don't have the time I used to when it comes to gaming as a whole. The vicious cycle of life you either have tons of time and no money or plenty of money and no time. Haha

Suikoguy

So is there still a GAF guild going on the NA PC server?

Sadly, looks like there is not. I'm tempted to start one if there is enough interest, or if the person who ran the other one could login and transfer ownership unless he/she plans to return, in which case give someone playing now invite abilities.

It's my favorite MMORPG i've played. But I would classify it as a Cooperative Single Player Online Role Playing Game.

Although I hear quite a bit of good stuff in chat about PVP. And it does have 4 person dungeons.

Speely

Banned
Sadly, looks like there is not. I'm tempted to start one if there is enough interest, or if the person who ran the other one could login and transfer ownership unless he/she plans to return, in which case give someone playing now invite abilities.

It's my favorite MMORPG i've played. But I would classify it as a Cooperative Single Player Online Role Playing Game.

Although I hear quite a bit of good stuff in chat about PVP. And it does have 4 person dungeons.

I would help out. I have my crafter up to 50 Blacksmithing, Clothing, and Provisioning, with Woodworking almost there. Would be down to help start up the trading aspect if so desired, and I have characters ranging from 1 to v12 l, all in DC. Plus a lot of knowledge to help out new players :)

Edit: PvP is fun but sort of a zergy bit of business. With a good roaming group it is possible to find some smaller-scale stuff though. And the group dungeons are really fun. Even public dungeons are cool, though I feel they are more fun soloed or duoed since you almost always meet others inside.

Double edit: I stay away from guilds usually, but I feel like a GAF guild would be great.

Ugh, this game is criminally underrated. It's so goddamn good now. :/

Random screenies

TpXZ0WY.png

HGNOOzJ.png

8zjf9nc.png

lhPMoeh.png

QLVsPdF.png

Suikoguy

Ugh, this game is criminally underrated. It's so goddamn good now. :/

It so really is; It's all i've played for the last several weeks except for random bouts into Fortresscraft Evolved.

I do hope they continue to keep it going with the quarterly DLC for many years.

I am a member of a GAF NA guild. I may even be an officer. I will check in a bit. My main is on Ebonheart Pact.

So I checked it out and that guild is pretty much dead. 126 members and only I am online. That being said, I can invite people if need be for the free guild bank. I love this game but have never really had anyone to play it with me regularly.

Valkrai

Glad to see there's some activity in ESOGaf. I just picked up the game and wanting to play. I'm interested in a NA guild although I may need to change factions or make a new character depending where.

Phreaker

Just fired this game up after many months of not playing it (Xbox NA, in GAF guild). Boy, is it hard to remember things and all my skill points were removed so I don't even remember how they were spent/what spells I was using (sorcerer). I think I'm going to have to start a new character to figure out how to play again.

Speely

Banned
If any gaffers on the PC NA server want some leveling gear crafted, I'll hook ya up. Don't have high VR mats yet but can do most 5 trait and under stuff. @Speely

Phreaker

Oh, now I remember why I stopped playing...the game crashes a lot (Xbox One). I am surprised this is still an issue. To bad honestly, because its a fun game and I was just about to purchase the expansion. Glad I tried it out again for a few hours first.

Edit: They recommend uninstalling/reinstalling if it freezes/crashes, I am gong to try that now I guess.

Speely

Banned
Thieves Guild expansion seems cool. I leveled a stamina toon to v1 just in time for it (my main is magicka templar non-vamp and I wanted to experience the expansion as a sneakier sort.) The very first intro quest for it is very fun, and the new zone it opens up is awesome. Total change of pace, and welcome at that. Have only had a couple hours on it before bedtime.

The base game patch is buggy and crashy still. Some FPS drops in weird spots and strange crashes. Oddly, the two bad ones didn't result in death even though I was fighting.

I am sure they will get the kinks worked out. Still totally playable at any rate. I am waiting for the 64-bit client to get fine-tuned before trying that out, though. Having too much fun playing right now to risk it. :)

lazygecko

I'd like to get back into this game but I'm suffering extremly long loading times since a few patches back. The main problem here is that the loading takes so damn long, the game actually kicks me from "inactivity" before it's actually finished loading.

I have had neither of those problems, so I can't really help.

I have been really enjoying the Thieve's Guild though. The quests are a great change of pace.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
its alot better now leagues better than launch, it had a stigma behind it ever since beta though because of skyrim, i actually prefer this game over skyrim to be fair and this game looks alot more beatuiful than vanilla skyrim too

lazygecko

The visuals are overall more primitive but instead singificantly more polished than Skyrim. Like, the character models and armor aren't as detailed, but the water shader, shadows, lighting etc all look better, and the distant LoD isn't a freakin eyesore. Zenimax Online's game design is actually sensible and reasonably planned out with some depth, unlike Bethesda who can never seem to think beyond stuff that merely seems cool at a surface level. Sound is leagues ahead of Skyrim as well. The criticism aimed at the game was for the most part hyperbolic and a case of confirmation bias due to the MMO stigma.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Is this game worth buying now? Heard a lot of negative stuff about this game.
I play the console version on and off, and to me it's a great MMO.

The questing is so good, there's still the usual fetching nature of MMOs quests but they are more elaborate and the story in them are pretty good and also you get to make decisions in them that alter the world state. For instance in an area you could make it so all enemies in it turn from hostile to peaceful. I mean, it's superficial but it's still cool that your decisions do have an impact in the world. Also characters that you meet in the starting zone end up showing up a lot later. It's just really well put together, the questing. The sense of exploration is great you start at one corner of a zone and work all the way to the other corner. All the while exploring caves/dungeons (called delves), doing public dungeons, hunting for skyshards, participating in public events called Dolmens, fighting world bosses etc...

The battle system, is great IMO. I like the change from tab targeting, and GCDs to resource based and aiming for targeting. Makes battles more involving since it's not just standing in one place to follow strict rotation. That said they tend to be very chaotic and the default UI lacks some really beneficial info. You need to use add-ons definitely, for this. Not saying tab-targeting combat is bad, just that this one is more action oriented and different.

ZOS continues to improve the game too, with nice QoL updates and quarterly DLC that feel pretty different from each other. First DLC was PvP based, second DLC catered more to the solo crowd, third DLC has new modes introduced that spice up the gameplay when you want to take a break from battles or crafting.

The PvP is great, but it's very zergy. So I don't know if you are a fan of that.

Game gets on unfair hate and AngryJoe pretty much gave this game a really shitty reputation. The game had a rocky launch but what MMO these days doesn't? I don't even know why AngryJoe reviewed the game since he hates MMO.

This is a pretty cool look at the game
https://youtu.be/jv4HPAwSD4g

I play this and FF14 and I love both. With FF14 I get a very traditional MMO experience with amazing end-game and lots of content, with ESO I get superb questing and exploration with great pvp. Both feel different enough for me to play them without getting burnt out

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I actually just started giving this game another look after buying it for like $12 a while back and never giving it much attention. I started up a new character after looking at some websites to get an idea of what I should be doing and it's pretty fun so far. I'm a Dark elf Sorcererm I like the weird pets and stuff.

The only thing that bugs me is that racial abilities actually seem to be fairly strong, and Argonians seem to have the worst racial bonuses across the board except for some templar builds. I like the idea of being a cool lizard man but I also don't want to knowingly gimp myself.

Many of you guys still play? is there a gaf guild etc?

I still play, and am in the NA Gaf guild, but I seem to be the only person active in it. I am always looking for people to play AvA with, so if you are EP I can add you as a friend.

For anyone on NA; I can be contacted at @XTVengeance

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
this is interesting

DirectX 11 Upgrade
We have upgraded the ESO graphics engine to be DirectX 11 specific.
You will no longer be able to launch or run the DirectX 9 version of the game.
We will no longer support graphics cards and operating systems that are not compatible with DirectX 11.
This will allow us to implement new graphics features only possible with the removal of DirectX 9, as well as improve the overall performance of the engine.

Personally I can't wait to see how this game runs when I get my new PC. It runs okay on my current one at medium and is still a very pretty game.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I haven't played in a week or so, but the low level sorcer I have is pretty fun.

I was thinking a bow character could be fun, but it doesn't look like people use them much? Or if they do it's always secondary to dual wield or 2hand?

I haven't played in a week or so, but the low level sorcer I have is pretty fun.

I was thinking a bow character could be fun, but it doesn't look like people use them much? Or if they do it's always secondary to dual wield or 2hand?

That is the usual spec, though I have met a guy who did bow only and it was hilarious in AvA.

Anoregon

Also, how much does it usually cost to buy the the ability to make a character of any race on any faction? Because I see the explorer's pack on ebay for like $4 or less sometimes, so if that's way less than buying it via crowns I might just do that even though I'm not sure I like this game enough to play it much.

Edit: Just saw that the crown version is adventurer pack, which is 1900 crowns. Yeesh. Yeah I might go ahead and just spend that $4.

I pre-ordered the game, so I have always had that ability. Which is nice, because I am dead set on the Ebonheart Pact, but I like to play a variety of races. My main is a Bosmer, and my alts are a Dunmer and an Altmer.

Anoregon

Yeah I'm pact too, but that's mostly because I like their default races more. I played a bit last night, I feel like I've outleveled the area I'm in a bit. I guess I'll just continue on south and see where the quests take me.

Also, I hear that grinding is the best way to level, which I'm not totally against, but I know I gotta snag all them skill point crystal things. Also I would assume questing is better than grinding for cash? I need to make 10k ASAP so I can get a horsey.

Money comes easily if you wander around and quest. Delves are usually a decent source of loot, especially when they have humanoid enemies. I tend to not grind, as it gets boring to me. Instead I wander the coutryside while watching youtube or listening to podcasts.

AvA and dungeons are the only time i really pay attention 100%.

lazygecko

Seems to me they've been actively nerfing any old fashioned grinding techniques (ie running around rounding up tons of monsters to kill). How do you effectively grind nowadays then?

I honestly prefer mundane grinding to questing. Having to sit through fluff dialogue and being gated by scripted events is only fun for so long.

Speely

Banned
Seems to me they've been actively nerfing any old fashioned grinding techniques (ie running around rounding up tons of monsters to kill). How do you effectively grind nowadays then?

I honestly prefer mundane grinding to questing. Having to sit through fluff dialogue and being gated by scripted events is only fun for so long.

Grinding is still viable. Best with a partner. The grind spots in each zone still yield fast exp as long as you duo with another. Especially since they gave us the anniversary cake :) Srsly easy 1-v16 in a day if you commit. That said, you gotta hit the specific grind spots. Just any ole where won't work.

Edit: that 1-v16 comment was assuming the anniversary cake exp buff. But even without it, you can grind to endgame in a few days realistically.

lazygecko

So, I'm playing fairly actively again if anyone needs a buddy. I got both a v9 templar and low level dragonknight tank we can do dungeons with.

Mindman

So, did anyone ever make a decision to make a new NeoGAF guild for NA PC? Would love to be a part of one. Plan on playing this long-term on PC.

Or I can make a new one if anyone else doesn't want to. :)

Well I can make one or someone else can. I am usually only on in the mornings on weekdays though, as I work overnight. Weekends it really depends if I have mandatory overtime or not. I haven't done as many of the dungeons as I would like, but I have a v11 nightblade and a low level templar both on EP.

kris.

Banned
yo, ladies n fellas. i played the beta way back when and kinda dug it, but not enough to jump in at full price + a monthly sub. is it any good now and is there still a significant base playing? i found a copy for ~$10 and am pretty tempted to jump on it.

yo, ladies n fellas. i played the beta way back when and kinda dug it, but not enough to jump in at full price + a monthly sub. is it any good now and is there still a significant base playing? i found a copy for ~$10 and am pretty tempted to jump on it.

$10 is a steal for how much this game has improved. The base game is great, but I will say that the DLCs made shit so much more interesting. That being said, it is still a great game without them.

kris.

Banned
$10 is a steal for how much this game has improved. The base game is great, but I will say that the DLCs made shit so much more interesting. That being said, it is still a great game without them.

rad! pretty sure i'm gonna pull the trigger next payday then. i adore TES lore so this should be neat.

Mindman

Well I can make one or someone else can. I am usually only on in the mornings on weekdays though, as I work overnight. Weekends it really depends if I have mandatory overtime or not. I haven't done as many of the dungeons as I would like, but I have a v11 nightblade and a low level templar both on EP.

Go ahead and make one and add me with a high rank on it. Would you need my account name or character name for the invite? Account is under Mindman.

lazygecko

Apparently the spellmaking mechanic was canceled. Really big bummer there. It would have added a ton to the character customization.

Top Bottom