• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim... coming to PS4 and Xbox One? (Bethesda: Nope)

I already own it on PS3, but I'd be in for a PS4 version.

I've almost jumped a few times at the PC version to have the lovely HD textures on my rig, but just decided not to a few times for no real reason.

Fun game though and with all the content now, it would be almost a different game than I played a couple years ago.

TESO will come out as a monthly paid sub. It will flop like SW:ToR. It will go pseudo-FTP and become modestly successful. And it'll stay that way for a long time. Maybe we'll see another standalone TES game in 10 years.

Elder Scrolls Online will flop like nothing else. Of that I have doubt. Probably worse than SWTOR imo

But Bethesda made a ton of money on Skyrim and the game concepts scale nicely for sequels

It is a known property and more casual gamers even know it by name. To think there won't be a direct numbered sequel is madness

It'll be out in the next 3 - 5 years after the next Fallout like they always do

I'm stunned by how many ppl want resources used to port a 2 year old game. I'd rather Use those ppl to get fallout 4 done faster.

Not gonna happen. Elder Scrolls Online is the last thing we'll hear from that franchise.

And what makes you think that? While TESO will be busy flopping, Bethesda will release Fallout 4 and then TES6. I don't see 'em doing it any other way, unless Skyrim's success made them decide to release TES6 first.

Grimsen

I'm stunned by how many ppl want resources used to port a 2 year old game. I'd rather Use those ppl to get fallout 4 done faster.

Odd thing to be stunned about. ES games are very popular, and Skyrim was no exception.

I'm not a fan of Fallout 3, but I wouldn't be stunned if fans of the genre were excited for a re-release.

And what makes you think that? While TESO will be busy flopping, Bethesda will release Fallout 4 and then TES6. I don't see 'em doing it any other way, unless Skyrim's success made them decide to release TES6 first.

If there was any justice in the world, that would be the case. But unfortunately I have the feeling we're going to have to wait through Fallout 4 + DLC before we can get even a sniff of Elder Scrolls 6. :(

If there was any justice in the world, that would be the case. But unfortunately I have the feeling we're going to have to wait through Fallout 4 + DLC before we can get even a sniff of Elder Scrolls 6. :(

lol Some people enjoy the fallout games so that's not justice, it's what you want

rjinaz

lol Some people enjoy the fallout games so that's not justice, it's what you want

Right? It would be more of an injustice if Bethesda released ES6 before Fallout, us Fallout fans have been waiting a long time now. But honestly it's a win/win for me either way.

Right? It would be more of an injustice if Bethesda released ES6 before Fallout, us Fallout fans have been waiting a long time now. But honestly it's a win/win for me either way.

Pretty much how I feel. I enjoy both series. I just hope bethesda can make somewhat less buggy games with new hardware to play with. Locked framerates would be wonderful

gstaff

Well this time Bethesda had a bug on their website! ;)

It's unfortunate we didn't catch the bug earlier. Basically we did a few changes to the content management system that caused it to default a 2014 release date for any game page we were updating. We happened to have folks look at the Skyrim page as a test example and that's how it happened. Had we done tested the same thing with another old game (RAGE, for example), the same thing would have happened.

Sorry for the mix up.

Billen

Banned
So, maybe they are hoping that next gen can fix the somewhat boring combat? :D

Oh, seems like that was not the case. Still longing for a game from them where archery is the only combat allowed.

I imagine Bethesda also enjoys the oppotunity to play in those very different sandboxes.
I like both franchises. Even if I didn't, its nice to see the games benefit from each other's technological advances and frankly some breathing room that franchises like Assassins' Creed are not afforded.

GhaleonEB

I like both franchises. Even if I didn't, its nice to see the games benefit from each other's technological advances and frankly some breathing room that franchises like Assassins' Creed are not afforded.

Same. I've only played Fallout 3 from that series, but as someone who loved Skyrim to death, I'm pretty excited about Fallout 4 because of how much Bethesda learned when making Skyrim, in terms of game systems and world building.

rjinaz

It's unfortunate we didn't catch the bug earlier. Basically we did a few changes to the content management system that caused it to default a 2014 release date for any game page we were updating. We happened to have folks look at the Skyrim page as a test example and that's how it happened. Had we done tested the same thing with another old game (RAGE, for example), the same thing would have happened.

Sorry for the mix up.

Thanks for taking the time to explain what happened :)

gioGAF

It seems like a no-brainer for Bethesda to port Skyrim (even the Fallout games) to PS4 at the very least. PS3 version(s) were a bit underwhelming and I'm sure there are many that would buy these games. While they are at it, might as well bring them to the bone.

I think most games that were available on consoles + PC last gen and achieved at least moderate success are candidates for re-release.

If these look like the PC version with the graphical options maxed and the high-resolution textures installed, and has new trophies, I will buy this.

McLovin

I tried replaying on pc, since I gave my 360 to my lil brother. That game is buggy as shit and I had to play on low settings and windowed to get it running. Not only that but the dlc corrupted my save file. I would love a next-gen version but not for 60. Maybe do a fallout 3/vegas/skyrim bundle for 60 and I would bite.

I tried replaying on pc, since I gave my 360 to my lil brother. That game is buggy as shit and I had to play on low settings and windowed to get it running. Not only that but the dlc corrupted my save file. I would love a next-gen version but not for 60. Maybe do a fallout 3/vegas/skyrim bundle for 60 and I would bite.

On PC there are a lot of fixes that supposedly make the game fairly bug free [obviously not bug free though as its a Bethesda game lol]

McLovin

On PC there are a lot of fixes that supposedly make the game fairly bug free [obviously not bug free though as its a Bethesda game lol]
I think my problem was part game, part pc. Its an older pc with a q6600 and 8800gt. I think I just met the minimum requirements for windows 8. And ever since I upgraded my game performance took a hit.

Some Nobody

TESO will come out as a monthly paid sub. It will flop like SW:ToR. It will go pseudo-FTP and become modestly successful. And it'll stay that way for a long time. Maybe we'll see another standalone TES game in 10 years.

Bethesda isn't even making TESO. If it flops, they'll look at Skyrim and be reminded that when they do offline RPGs they make a LOT of money, and then bam. New game.

More realistically, work on that game has probably already begun.

rjinaz

Bethesda is NOT making skyrim for next gen [ps4 and the One]

Yeah some people seem to have missed post #414. I think that makes things pretty clear on what happened. Not to say this confirms it won't happen, but it does confirm there is no indication it will.

scojitsu

Just started playing this on PC and I'll hopefully finish it this time.
I was gifted the Legendary Edition so the expansions are a nice incentive to play it again but the lack of variety and quality in the voice acting is quite jarring.

My 560ti is struggling with the high res textures so I've had to dial it back with the mods but it's still a pretty game even after 2 years.

DryvBy

New trophy list? I'll buy. I'd like XBONE/PS4 to get the Anthology set actually. Would be cool to play them all with achievements/trophies.

Yes, I'm a filthy whore. But I play my games first before whoring.

E92 M3

Skyrim is my dream video game environment. If the next Fallout can be snowy and mixed with beautiful vegetation - then I am excited. I appreciated what Fallout 3 did, but just couldn't get into it. Personally, the environment plays a huge role for me - and it was just too dreary in FO3.

Patryn

People, once again: NOTHING IS HAPPENING. THERE IS NO ANNOUNCEMENT TOMORROW. THAT WAS A HOAX.

SKYRIM IS NOT COMING TO NEXT GEN. THAT WAS A BUG ON THE BETHESDA WEBSITE.

Seriously, this whole thread is based on mistakes and falsehoods.

Drazgul

I've almost jumped a few times at the PC version to have the lovely HD textures on my rig, but just decided not to a few times for no real reason.

Go for it, it'll look better than it would on PS4/Xbone anyway, and you get the added benefit of all the content mods.

Leatherface

I just wanted to come in here to say that there is no greater joy than successfully modding Skyrim to look AND perform exactly how you want it to. In the past couple of weeks I've spent so much time tweaking and testing. It's like a game within a game really. I totally appreciate all the finer details in Skyrim now and all the OCD bastards out there who put loads of time into doing things like overhauling the textures of signs, book covers and cave mushrooms. It truly is an art form and I'm glad Skyrim has such a huge community of people invested in doing all sorts of amazing things with the engine.

I actually love fiddling with the game more than playing it and it's a fantastic game so that says a lot. :)

Top Bottom