• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mod Discussion and News [Creation Kit released]

The grass shadow setting does nothing. Grass shadows aren't implemented at all in the game. iBlurDeferredShadowmask has a range of 1 to 7, the higher the blurrier, so yeah 24 seems kind of strange.

I have a 1GB card as well and for me 4096 shadows gives me noticeable hitching, though that might be due to the other mods I run. I keep them on high (2048) with iBlurDeferredShadowmask at 5 and distance at 3000.

Tom Penny

Some new shots.

You took a Pic in the same place I have my screensaver :)

WindowsPhotoViewerWallpaper.jpg

Karak

Holy crap the floating castle mod is already almost done. That guy is fast as hell. I can not wait to have my own Floating Citadel.

Dr.Acula

Banned
You NEED SkyUI. I don't see any of the item rename mods on Steam right now, but those are useful too. So all you arrows, ores, ingots, gems, potions, etc. group together.
@Subzero, If you are playing with a 360 controller a control a remap is more than enough because Bethesda designed with the controller in mind. You have 8 asignable slots on the dpad plus the favorites menu. No much need for more.

After you get experienced with the game you'll see what items suit your play style so you'll get rid of the unnecesary stuff, so the inventory won't be too convulted.

Also as a general rule the first 20 or so hours with a Bethesda game should be as the game comes, then mod to suit your needs.
The grass shadow setting does nothing. Grass shadows aren't implemented at all in the game. iBlurDeferredShadowmask has a range of 1 to 7, the higher the blurrier, so yeah 24 seems kind of strange.

I have a 1GB card as well and for me 4096 shadows gives me noticeable hitching, though that might be due to the other mods I run. I keep them on high (2048) with iBlurDeferredShadowmask at 5 and distance at 3000.
Thanks for the advice Confidence :)

Bruiserk

I was just about to download the "spells give off light" mod recommended by CR, but the download link doesn't seem to be working :/

edit: I stand corrected. Just worked after the 5th time.

Enco

You took a Pic in the same place I have my screensaver :)

WindowsPhotoViewerWallpaper.jpg

Haha it's a nice spot. Just saw it after a dungeon.

Nice shots Wazzim.

edit: Holy shit the Skyrim meshes mod is jaw dropping!

Guess which is before and which is after!

Ignore the weird stripy bits in the background. Trying out the dynamic shadows mod. It's brilliant but pretty rough right now.

Oh and a nice shot of the heavy rain mod:

Colonial. i have a 1GB card and play at 1200p with 4x anti alias, i honestly don't think i can up to 8192. What video card do you have?

Also Colonial i recommend you do a quick comparison with bShadowsOnGrass=1 set to 1 and 0. I don't think that command is working.

Anyway so i didn't get the 4096 resolution for shadows because i forgot to change iShadowmapresolution to that value in both .ini files. Is that correct?

Yep :)

I suggest you try it with 8192 first and see how it affects your performance, despite having the low card... trust me on this one, it's not a big performance hitter. It can't hurt to try right? If it's a big hitter then put it back down.

It's not really a texture thing, it's a shadow thing....

I have 2x 7970 but that's kind of irrelevant, because they still struggle with this game because of the coding, what kind of card do you have?

Bruiserk

Haha it's a nice spot. Just saw it after a dungeon.

Nice shots Wazzim.

edit: Holy shit the Skyrim meshes mod is jaw dropping!

Guess which is before and which is after!

Ignore the weird stripy bits in the background. Trying out the dynamic shadows mod. It's brilliant but pretty rough right now.

Oh and a nice shot of the heavy rain mod:

How does the meshes mod affect the performance?

Yep :)

I suggest you try it with 8192 first and see how it affects your performance, despite having the low card... trust me on this one, it's not a big performance hitter. It can't hurt to try right? If it's a big hitter then put it back down.
Nah, i know the card will have a hard time with that shadow resolution. You have to consider the game shades a considerable amount of objects, this quickly eats through memory budget. Too bad my version of Afterburner doesn't have the option to check vram, in that case would've been more than happy to share some tests.

Anyway, i did try with 4096. Hitches increase significantly but it does make a world of difference, so i think i can't go back even if i can no longer play as smoothly. For me the impact it has on visuals is far more noticeable than the Bethesda texture pack and hitches less.
I have 2x 7970 but that's kind of irrelevant, because they still struggle with this game because of the coding, what kind of card do you have?
Holy Shit Batman! Here's the quote of the day :)

Aren't those monsters 3GB? That shit could raytrace Skyrim withouth braking sweat.

HooYaH

Just wondering, is it even possible to do SSAO with the creation kit? Seems to me that SSAO/flow based water is going to be a future patch option.

Just wondering, is it even possible to do SSAO with the creation kit? Seems to me that SSAO/flow based water is going to be a future patch option.
Speaking strictly out of my ass, i don't think so. Im refering to the SSAO, that's a feature that should be applyed at the renderer level. The CK is just a content placement and tweaking tool more or less.

Holy Shit Batman! Here's the quote of the day :)

Aren't those monsters 3GB? That shit could raytrace Skyrim withouth braking sweat.

Lol... yeah 3GB each, and yeah they are capable of anything that I throw at them... at least I know that I can always download the HIGHEST of high res texture packs and push the graphics as hard as I can and nothing will stop me no matter how hard I try. If I'm having frames problems it's THE GAME not my Computer.

Specs:

i7-3930 @ 4.8Ghz
ASUS p9x79 Deluxe
2x 7970 @ Max CCC OC
24 Gb RAM
etc etc

ALL HAIR IN ONE PACK - this is a godsend because the conflicts from all the other hair packs being all over the place was a pain in the butt. Almost 320mb of hairs!

Roche

I decided to have a go at learning to mod I just made my first little dungeon, it feels good wandering around a dark, (Haven't learned lights yet ha) bare-bones dungeon of my own creation.

spirity

So whats the verdict on the Steam mod delivery service? Have you guys migrated over to it completely, still using the Nexus, or a mix of both? Got any preferences?

Right now it doesn't change much. Just some furniture/barrels so I can't see any hit.

Definitely worth giving a shot.
I don't see much difference of what it does. Can you post some examples with screens please. I went to the nexus page and screens there do a poor job demostrating the mod strenghts.

EDIT: I thought you were talking about High Quality LOD mod, in that one i couldn't tell the difference. Any opinions of this mod?
Beautiful shot, but that DOF implementation detracts from it a bit.

Enco

I don't see much difference of what it does. Can you post some examples with screens please. I went to the nexus page and screens there do a poor job demostrating the mod strenghts.

EDIT: I thought you were talking about High Quality LOD mod, in that one i couldn't tell the difference. Any opinions of this mod?

Beautiful shot, but that DOF implementation detracts from it a bit.
I was talking about this mod. It increases the polys for the furniture and some other stuff.

You're right that the shots for the mod you talk about suck.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
is there a mod which level caps you?

also I want a mod which doesn't makes NPCs not lose their alert status after you killed somebody.

I guess level cap mod is an easy one, I can make it myself somehow I just didn't research it.

Enco

Is it just me getting stupid CK errors?

When loading up an indoor location I get lots of texture errors and shape collision errors. Beds/crates/chairs are all merged on top of each other.

IoCaster

So whats the verdict on the Steam mod delivery service? Have you guys migrated over to it completely, still using the Nexus, or a mix of both? Got any preferences?

I tried a few mods but ultimately decided that there's too much loss of control with constant re-downloads and auto-updates. I'm frequently testing my own mods and making changes to my load list so it's a bad fit for me. Another problem I have with it is that sometimes I'll have a mod that works just right, then the creator changes or adds a feature that I don't want. I'd prefer to keep full control over what mod version, textures, meshes, etc, I have installed. I unsubscribed from all mods on SW and don't plan on using it.

Enco

I tried a few mods but ultimately decided that there's too much loss of control with constant re-downloads and auto-updates. I'm frequently testing my own mods and making changes to my load list so it's a bad fit for me. Another problem I have with it is that sometimes I'll have a mod that works just right, then the creator changes or adds a feature that I don't want. I'd prefer to keep full control over what mod version, textures, meshes, etc, I have installed. I unsubscribed from all mods on SW and don't plan on using it.
Some things I want flexibility in and will carry on using NMM for (lighting mods).

Other things I want constant updates and will use Steam for (texture mods).

IoCaster

Some things I want flexibility in and will carry on using NMM for (lighting mods).

Other things I want constant updates and will use Steam for (texture mods).

Sure I can see that it would be useful, but I don't care for the reliance on .bsa since I much prefer loose files so that I can mix'n'match whatever I want to use. *shrug*

I've tried another way of installing the HD Texture Pack - extracting the .bsa using FO3 Extractor and installing it like any other mod.

For me, this way works the best as I can remove any file conflicts it has with my other mods and get any benefits the HD pack has without causing 'double ups.

Best result I've had from the HD texture pack so far.

That's the natural preset from my last release (added DOF of course), with vanilla water. I doubt I'll do any more updates until a new ENB version with bug fixes or more variable controls comes out, I've done all I can do with it at this point.

Top Bottom