• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mod Discussion and News [Creation Kit released]

Dries

So I just turned my AA from x4 to x2..... Is it just me or is the difference extremely minimal? Definantly not worth the performance hit. I get 10 fps more with AA x2.

Also, crossover from other topic:

I'm kinda thinking my performance is on the low side for my system.

I'm playing with everything on Ultra, 4x AA, 16x AF with a resolution of 1920 x 1080.

My FPS is between 28 - 45 (average) with the following system:

i5 2500k stock at 3.3 Ghz
8 GB ram
ATI 6970 2 GB

Does this performance seem right?

Ledsen

I think ColonialRaptor has made his game look like shit, but I still want him to post his mods and play the game however he wants. That's what modding's all about.

Dries

If unmodded, then yeah, that seems like on the low side. I have a comparable-ish system, with ugrids at 9 and enb, and I get similar fps with an i7 2600k at 3.4, 6970m 1gb (iMac), 12gb RAM, running at 1080p.

Nah, it's modded. Actually the only time my fps dips below 30 fps is areas with a lot of trees.

I have to admit, I have a lot of fun working in the Creation Kit. I used to play around a ton in Morrowind's but haven't really touched the Bethesda tools since then. I have my degree in 3D Modeling in Animation but I never ended up going into that field so manipulating objects in this huge awesomely created world reminds me of the funnest parts of creating 3D scenes back in college.

I've just been going around making tons of small tweaks here and there all over the world and saving them all into my own personal mod file. I keep noticing a lot of the small changes I make popping up on the Workshop too as separate mods (like the smelter in Riverwood, the weight reduction on scrolls, the mod that adds satchels to every home alchemy lab, etc...). It makes sense to release them online as separate mods but I can't imagine actually having 30 different mods installed for every single individual small change like that... especially since the launcher likes to literally check every single file for updates every time (though I usually just open from the SKSE executable anyways).

Karak

Notice the IMO part.

FFS i'm not gonna bother sharing mods any more I'm sick of being put down for my taste fuck this shit.

I wouldn't stop. Nor will I personally. But just realize that sometimes your presentation does come across as "these are the ones you need". Not a problem in your presentation but you can tell that you are sort of personally invested in them(because you love them) which means its easier to take it personally when someone doesn't like it. Just list them and move on as others are doing. I have grabbed a good number of mods from this thread from everyone and its really useful to see what people are using. We should all post what we use and our opinions.

Can't remember if we posted this back awhile ago but I am using Crafting 300 and loving it.

Karak

I have to admit, I have a lot of fun working in the Creation Kit. I used to play around a ton in Morrowind's but haven't really touched the Bethesda tools since then. I have my degree in 3D Modeling in Animation but I never ended up going into that field so manipulating objects in this huge awesomely created world reminds me of the funnest parts of creating 3D scenes back in college.

I've just been going around making tons of small tweaks here and there all over the world and saving them all into my own personal mod file. I keep noticing a lot of the small changes I make popping up on the Workshop too as separate mods (like the smelter in Riverwood, the weight reduction on scrolls, the mod that adds satchels to every home alchemy lab, etc...). It makes sense to release them online as separate mods but I can't imagine actually having 30 different mods installed for every single individual small change like that... especially since the launcher likes to literally check every single file for updates every time (though I usually just open from the SKSE executable anyways).

On the Skyrim threads on Bethesda they just put out a warning(yesterday actually) about how just double clicking on ANYTHING in a window, even for seeing properties, adds an entry into the esp. So make sure you clean your file. I made Solace for myself(City in the trees) and it ran great. Thought I would check if it was dirty and jezuz it looked like a baboon put it together. Tons of issues. Just because I would doubleclick to see properties and such. So watchout when making changes.

mr_nothin

Banned
I wouldn't stop. Nor will I personally. But just realize that sometimes your presentation does come across as "these are the ones you need". Not a problem in your presentation but you can tell that you are sort of personally invested in them(because you love them) which means its easier to take it personally when someone doesn't like it. Just list them and move on as others are doing. I have grabbed a good number of mods from this thread from everyone and its really useful to see what people are using. We should all post what we use and our opinions.

Yea he says "THESE ARE NECESSARY" but then goes on to add "if you like *this* and/or *that*". It's not like he's cramming it down anyone's throat. He's explaining why you would want these mods. I scroll through this thread and pretty much only look for the posts that he makes.

inner-G

Banned
Yeah dude.. this gave me just that extra 2-4 fps to keep it above 30 in dense forest areas :) Cheers to you!

I have a similar rig:

2500k @ 3.3
8gb ram
560 2gb

Runs great at almost identical settings with shadows on high. (even with the 2k textures)

On the Skyrim threads on Bethesda they just put out a warning(yesterday actually) about how just double clicking on ANYTHING in a window, even for seeing properties, adds an entry into the esp. So make sure you clean your file. I made Solace for myself(City in the trees) and it ran great. Thought I would check if it was dirty and jezuz it looked like a baboon put it together. Tons of issues. Just because I would doubleclick to see properties and such. So watchout when making changes.
I actually did notice that, tons of references in my mod. I wasn't sure whether that had any impact on performance or if it was just some sort of log but I didn't notice any issues nor do I plan to actually release the mod to the public so I wasn't too worried.

How do you clean the file though? How do you remove the entries? Would be good to know.

Enco

I actually did notice that, tons of references in my mod. I wasn't sure whether that had any impact on performance or if it was just some sort of log but I didn't notice any issues nor do I plan to actually release the mod to the public so I wasn't too worried.

How do you clean the file though? How do you remove the entries? Would be good to know.

Is also like to know how to clean things.

Can this causes collisions because some buildings I open have a lot of clipping and overlapping stuff.

I did have a very weird issue when I was working in the Creation Kit a few days ago. One of the things I did was add a lot of new containers and stuff to Honeyside's basement and kind of decorate it a little different. I was touching a lot of stuff, changing enable events, deleting stuff, etc... Everything was working well up to a point. I then went ahead and built an entire new room onto the basement. If anyone's familiar with Honeyside, I took the wall straight down in front of the stairs (with the small table skinny table against it, the one with a bunch of Alchemy recipes on it), removed it, built a doorway, added floors/walls/ceiling, and then added all the Smithing Crafting furniture.

Unfortunately when I tested it in game, the room was working fine, but there was some odd glitches going on. For one, none of the recipes actually moved, even though I slid the table over and put the recipes on top of it, they were just sitting on the floor where the table once was. On top of that, and even worse, a tattered banner I deleted long before I even started building the smithing room had reappeared but, instead of being on the wall in the enchanting room, it was mysteriously floating in-front of the Alchemy table blocking my access. I ended up deleting the entire mod and just redoing it more simply (moving less stuff around and mostly just adding new containers), I haven't tried adding the Smithing room again.

I wonder if the mod being "dirty" so to speak was what caused those weird glitches in the first place though.

I did have a very weird issue when I was working in the Creation Kit a few days ago. One of the things I did was add a lot of new containers and stuff to Honeyside's basement and kind of decorate it a little different. I was touching a lot of stuff, changing enable events, deleting stuff, etc... Everything was working well up to a point. I then went ahead and built an entire new room onto the basement. If anyone's familiar with Honeyside, I took the wall straight down in front of the stairs (with the small table skinny table against it, the one with a bunch of Alchemy recipes on it), removed it, built a doorway, added floors/walls/ceiling, and then added all the Smithing Crafting furniture.

Unfortunately when I tested it in game, the room was working fine, but there was some odd glitches going on. For one, none of the recipes actually moved, even though I slid the table over and put the recipes on top of it, they were just sitting on the floor where the table once was. On top of that, and even worse, a tattered banner I deleted long before I even started building the smithing room had reappeared but, instead of being on the wall in the enchanting room, it was mysteriously floating in-front of the Alchemy table blocking my access. I ended up deleting the entire mod and just redoing it more simply (moving less stuff around and mostly just adding new containers), I haven't tried adding the Smithing room again.

I wonder if the mod being "dirty" so to speak was what caused those weird glitches in the first place though.

There's all kinds of problems with the CK at the moment. Creating new landscapes is nearly impossible, the tools provided don't work and you have to use a bunch of third party programs for everything, and even then it's a crapshoot whether anything will work or just crash the CK. Creating new NPCs is bugged, editing existing NPCs is bugged, navmeshes are bugged, if it crashes while saving it will delete your plugin entirely, and tons of general usability problems.

Here's a list they're compiling: http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1347249-unofficial-creation-kit-bug-list-2/

Most of the MODs posted have to do with presentation, any good mods with gameplay orientation? There were some of them in nexus that i was interest in like harder dragons and deadly traps but i was waiting for them until the authors had access to the creation kit. Since the authors claimed they neede the kit to flesh them out more.

Bruiserk

Notice the IMO part.

FFS i'm not gonna bother sharing mods any more I'm sick of being put down for my taste fuck this shit.

edit: I wanted to change my image.

Ex13E.jpg

kitzkozan

It's not the offense in people not liking mods, it's the constant belittlement of my taste which is different to theirs.

Who care about the haters? :] This is why it's hard to state opinions or showcase whatever stuff out there. You just need to learn to disregard people crapping on your taste. Otherwise, nobody would ever create or get anything done.

I enjoy your collection of mods and want to see moar as I ain't playing this on PC although I plan to eventually (goty edition) . It's a great way to learn of great stuff out there which I will eventually pick when i get the PC version.

There's all kinds of problems with the CK at the moment. Creating new landscapes is nearly impossible, the tools provided don't work and you have to use a bunch of third party programs for everything, and even then it's a crapshoot whether anything will work or just crash the CK. Creating new NPCs is bugged, editing existing NPCs is bugged, navmeshes are bugged, if it crashes while saving it will delete your plugin entirely, and tons of general usability problems.

Here's a list they're compiling: http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1347249-unofficial-creation-kit-bug-list-2/
Wow, some of that stuff is pretty bad. It seems at this point, the Creation Kit is practically worthless for creating any significant modification; if anything it's only good at tweaking big mods created in third party programs in that regard... or creating very small mods. Most of the stuff on the Workshop now illustrates this, it's either just mods brought over from Skyrim Nexus or tiny tweaks (not to imply that some of the tiny tweaks don't make a big difference).

Sorry for my outburst yesterday ppl. Most of you don't know anything about what's going on in my personal life but I was having a bad day and I guess I just snapped at things here and it was the wrong thing to snap at.

You know how there is something else that is getting you down and then other things set you off for the wrong reasons...? Yeah.

So, usually I just ignore any criticism on forums or negative posts and just let it roll of my back, it is the internet after all and it's impossible for everyone's viewpoints to agree on everything (otherwise we wouldn't still be killing one another now would we).

So, I'm going to keep posting mods, because I like to share, and GAF is my home and at the moment Skyrim is my life's blood and the only thing that is keeping me going so I've gotta keep my interest up.

I will take peoples comments to heart and see how we go.

GUIDE TO MIXING MODS BETWEEN MANUAL AND STEAM WORKSHOP
Turns out the way I decided to do things was the best way after all and I figured that out all by myself :D

Here is a link for a detailed breakdown of what the Beth HD Texture Pack does and whether it's worth it or not over the other HD packs out there (my answer = no).

So, here's today's recommendations.

Moar Kontent
- I love ANYTHING that adds more content to the game, whether it's Lore Friendly or not, I don't care - whether I will use it or not, well, that's just up to me while I'm playing now isn't it, but generally I try and keep my use of non-lore friendly things to my Hideout and keep the Lore un-friendly stuff in there. I've really been going on a 'Lore' kick the last few days though and trying to get my game looking more Skyrim. I've re-designed my character and made her a bit more fitting for the role of warrior. Anyway, this mod adds a whole pack of AMAZING looking Swords, Lore Friendly (added to Leveled Lists) and Non-Lore Friendly (not added to Leveled lists). I think it's one of the best content packs so far, and he's only put up 21 of the 100+ swords that he has created so far.

The Arena - Oh man I can't believe Beth didn't put this in the game by default... why Beth... WHY!? I'm so glad this has finally come, and it's good too.

PerkUP - An alternate Perk's expansion mod to 'Uncapped Perks', if you're using Elys Uncapper and you have it giving you more than 1 Perk per level, this one might suit your better so that you really FEEL like you're expanding and growing as a character each level. I'm still not sure which one I prefer. My character is till only level 53 (out of 252) because I've got another mod that reduces the experience I gain from everything to slow down my leveling up

Intense Difficulty - If you're like me and you're wanting to drag out the game for as long as possible this is for you... raise the difficulty level above Master. Is a simple mod that just changes the difficulty in the same way the game does when you change from Easy - Normal - Hard - Master (just affects those number multipliers). Gives you the choice of 2x Master all the way up to 32x Master. NOTE: DO NOT GO FOR 32x MASTER UNLESS YOU HAVE SOME SERIOUS UNBALANCED SHIT IN YOUR GAME BECAUSE YOU WILL BE ONE SHOT EVERY TIME.

Quick Thieves Guild Entrance - Through the Well, love this one it's the best 'quick entrance' idea yet in my opinion, love the guild, but hate having to trudge through the sewers to get there every time.

Main Menu Music Replacer, Malukah Dragonborn Song Cover - I love this, it's so much more 'peaceful'. While I really like the music in the game and I haven't screwed with that IN game, the theme song gets a little on my tits because it's such a boom boom in your face thing and because I open and close the game so often it can get a bit annoying, especially because I often open the game and walk away to go to the toilet or make a coffee or something. This is a great choice, although there are many others. The Sovengarde song is one that I had for a while as well. This chick has the most amazingly 'Lore' friendly voice IMO.

Here is another Theme Song Option, this one is so nice it almost made me cry. Song is called 'The Lost. This is one called 'The Hero Falls' a little more up tempo to The Lost. I prefer The Lost. The best thing about these two music is that the guy composed these himself. What a legend!!! At least do yourself a favor and listen.

On the topic of Music and sound, I love any sound and music mods that do it properly, sound is such a big thing in games, it adds so much - I think I learned how much I love sound in Battlefield 3, and I love anything that makes it better.

Change Dragon Battle Music to Deftault Menu Them Music - It's essentially the same music but the Menu Theme starts faster and harder while the in game music rises slowly. I prefer it like this it's like BANG here comes a DRAGON.

Has this been discussed yet? Shadow Striping Fix

Detailed Cities - I've lost track of what I've shared or not, sorry if I'm double posting some shit, it can't hurt to bring things up more than once right? Workshop Link

Deathwing Inspired Alduin - It only really changes his Wings to orange coloured. NON-LORE Friendly, I'm not using this but I thought I'd share :)

Evil Alduin Re-Texture - This is actually kind of subtle, I tried it out and it looks good. Add's some red to him. He looks like Daedric Armor which I think suits his look really well.

Real 1st Person View has been updated, damn I can't wait for this to be completed and working properly....

Turn Animations Fix & Martial Arts (Kicks) - You want to Kick and Punch? Yes... You can. Also, the Power kick is a jump drop kick and standing back up involves a special treat, go check it out.

Would people prefer that I just post links to the mods without a description of each one? I know that when people see a big chunk of text it can be a turn off, and I know that a lot of people have missed mods because of that (take the Skyrim Mesh Improvement Mod for example, everyone needs that). What's easier / better for people. Descriptions or not? Maybe I should make my descriptions more short?

I've been going through and un-subbing anything on the SW that I can get through the Nexus, even though it's easy through the Workshop, I don't like not being in control, and I don't like updating everything at once because it screws my load order.

Gotta say Enco I'm glad someone checked that one out, I can't believe how much better I've felt about just going into places since finding that mesh upgrade mod... just the standard 'round' table looks like a work of art now. I love it, and he upgrades something almost EVERY day. It's so SO good.

I've also been doing a lot of reading and trial and error at texture modding myself recently and I think I've finally figured it all out, so watch out for my first attempt at a mod in the coming week / weeks / month (it is probably going to take me a very long time). I'm planning on making a bunch of shields. Yes, I will be making a GAF logo shield
3AQmK.gif

I also take back my statement about the eyes that started this whole thing... the best Eye mod out there is XCE's 'Detailed Eyes'. It improves the Vanilla eye textures, after going through every single Eye Mod yesterday I realise that I was going for too bright, these are perfect. I've been doing a complete overhaul of my character and pretty much all of my character mod modifications that I've been using from very early on (almost a complete re-install of all my mods AGAIN) and this is the best.

Enco

Great post as usual Colonial.

Haha yea the mesh mod is probably going to end up being one of the best mods out there.

The difference is simply jaw dropping.

Just got Detailed Cities but have yet to test it out. Does The Arena have actual battles?

Great post as usual Colonial.

Haha yea the mesh mod is probably going to end up being one of the best mods out there.

The difference is simply jaw dropping.

Just got Detailed Cities but have yet to test it out. Does The Arena have actual battles?

Arena doesn't spawn enemies yet. But if you have some of the bat files from THIS mod you can just open the console - type bat Imperial and boom, an arena full of enemies to kill. It's a place-holder, but keep an eye on it because it will get good.

Also, I've brought this mod up a few times I think and I don't see people talking about it, but I want to harp on about how good it is - Various Guards. Please guys I urge you try it out, you won't regret it!! After I installed this I forgot I had it installed because I was at Windhelm and the guards look the same there, so I played and I ran all the way to Riften and the guards looked different... was a very pleasant surprise. It's a lot higher quality than the screens seem to give it credit for.

Below I'm going to post a bunch of fun mods that I'm not using but that people might find interesting just for the sake of sharing because I've stumbled upon them.

Lightsabers - I'm not using this but someone might be interested in it. They try to be lore friendly by making them use soul gems etc. Pretty cool mod really.

Soul Gem Shooting Pistols

Malos Weapons - High Quality Weapon Pack, I've been looking through this one and I've decided to get it. I think the Battle-Axes look better than anything in any of the other Weapons Packs I've seen so far.

Blades of Sithis (or what I like to call, the Master Splinter Cane Katana)

Big and Beautiful Weapons - These look nice, but obviously don't really suit the lore. Well designed though.

DMC4 Weapons - A couple of nice ones in there.

Halo Energy Sword

The Sword of the One Eyed Crow

Dark Crusader Swords - These are pretty nice actually

Sephiroth's Sword

Vicious Dawnbreaker Re-Model - this is also a pretty nice replacement

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=7040 - Thor Hammer

Weapons & Armour of the Elven Guardian - Much better than that disgusting Mystic Elven Armor that is so popular, but not brilliant. The weapon retextures however are another story - they look amazing.

Transparent Glass Weapons

Bleach Weapons

Nord Hero Weapons w/ Glowing Runes - Pretty cool

Unarmed Combat - if you fancy yourself a martial artist (I might get this and see how it goes with that kick animation mod)

I have great expectations for the arena, I hope it comes around great with voice over and all ala Oblivion but I also hope they keep it lore friendly and don't start to get on with fatalities and stuff.

Also, I've brought this mod up a few times I think and I don't see people talking about it, but I want to harp on about how good it is - Various Guards. Please guys I urge you try it out, you won't regret it!! After I installed this I forgot I had it installed because I was at Windhelm and the guards look the same there, so I played and I ran all the way to Riften and the guards looked different... was a very pleasant surprise. It's a lot higher quality than the screens seem to give it credit for.

Looks good BUT there are a few things that break it for me like Solitude guards wearing Imperial and some guards wearing Ancient Nord stuff, I'm debating myself between the benefits of variety and the lore inconsistency. Decisions, decisions...

ColonialRaptor;35106317[URL="http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=9352" said:
Quick Thieves Guild Entrance[/URL] - Through the Well, love this one it's the best 'quick entrance' idea yet in my opinion, love the guild, but hate having to trudge through the sewers to get there every time.

You don't have to trudge through the sewers to get to the guild. There's a tomb in the back that is a backdoor entrance. This well is just an even quicker way in.

You don't have to trudge through the sewers to get to the guild. There's a tomb in the back that is a backdoor entrance. This well is just an even quicker way in.

That tomb is terrible though, every time you try to exit through it you have to wait for it to close to open it again. And of course wait for it to open when you want in.

Would people prefer that I just post links to the mods without a description of each one? I know that when people see a big chunk of text it can be a turn off, and I know that a lot of people have missed mods because of that (take the Skyrim Mesh Improvement Mod for example, everyone needs that). What's easier / better for people. Descriptions or not? Maybe I should make my descriptions more short?
Nah, man. I love your descriptions, Colonial. And I'm really glad you're going to continue your posts. You're largely the reason I doubledipped and bought the PC version, and then upgraded my PC to play it properly. And since then I've been getting deeper into PC gaming in general.

See? You've literally changed my life~!

As an aside, I really hope all of you guys give the Deadly Dragons mod a go. Epic is such an overused word these days but there isn't a better way to describe dragon encounters with DD installed. Great great mod (that I wouldn't've found sans ColonialRaptor!).

ScRYeD

adds more insects to skyrim and more

Not at home at the moment so I can not download it and give it a try but I will. Also hope he can add light sources to the luna moths and torchbugs so night time isnt so damn lifeless especially if you have realiatic lighting non cuatomisable version.

RANDOM THOUGHT!!!
The game needs a volcano and lava, oh and a volcano lava dragon.

adds more insects to skyrim and more

Not at home at the moment so I can not download it and give it a try but I will. Also hope he can add light sources to the luna moths and torchbugs so night time isnt so damn lifeless especially if you have realiatic lighting non cuatomisable version.

RANDOM THOUGHT!!!
The game needs a volcano and lava, oh and a volcano lava dragon.

I love this... anything that brings more 'life' the world is for me :)

bengraven

I took some time off this game in December and I don't think I'll continue until there's a "better cities mod". As in more buildings. I've already got the "more NPCs" mod, but I need more buildings.

Made this (Bigger Falkreath Graveyard), which adds some more gravestones to the Falkreath graveyard.

Oh I downloaded this last night! Great idea: it was something that really bothered me about the game.

Fixing up Aela. Different hair and face, scars, yellow eyes

d2402f09c7f90fd88f666da6ba8d2ae453ed1dea.jpg

Damn, that looks fantastic. I would consider re-marrying after that! ha Make sure to upload it.

S0N0S

After almost a week up, I gotta say...really not liking the current form of the Skyrim Workshop.

• The browsing experience is terrible compared to Skyrim Nexus. No search, very few categories, no requirement to use a mod before rating it, directory listing wastes what little space it has with a grid filled with images instead of a list with images and longer descriptions.
  • Damn their implementation of BSAs! If you change load order for Workshop ESPs - and you will at somepoint - Skyrim Launcher will redownload entire mods on launch.
  • BSA priority is a mess and based on alphanumeric ordering and not on modified dates, like ESPs. And renaming them to order them properly breaks the mod.
  • Even if one were to use Skyrim Workshop files alone, it's still an unnecessary hassle. Best solution if you want to use Skyrim Workshop is to download a mod then unsubscribe from it, which ultimately defeats any advantage it has.

The mess just isn't worth the hassle right now. And I'm not really surprised or too disappointed. Nobody gets it right the first time. I just hope Bethesda and Valve are aware of the issues and plan to rectify them. If not, maybe more mod creators will oblige requests to distribute their mods on Skyrim Nexus as well or more solutions are developed by the community.

And speaking of which, Skyboost lives on!

Karak

Ya I have been cleaning mine religiously and also just keeping an eye on EVERYTHING that I click. What a cluster. I can deal with alot of stuff but that is bad right there. That really does slow down the entire process to a crawl.

Karak

So, I'm going to keep posting mods, because I like to share, and GAF is my home and at the moment Skyrim is my life's blood and the only thing that is keeping me going so I've gotta keep my interest up.

I will take peoples comments to heart and see how we go.

Yep just keep posting. I WOULD keep the massive and long posts to just those you have used. Because at least three of those mods, you just posted but stated you haven't played, all have issues working with one another. And if someone is just going down the list they could install it and it would cause no ends of headaches.
Seeing new mods is a great but a list that massive can easily become cumbersome and both websites have their own new or recently updated mods lists that can already take care of the same thing and do it easier than you posting a "here is some more" list.

Just my 2 cents to keep you somewhat on track and the information current.

As for me. I uninstalled Detailed Cities too many pathing node problems. Its a mess in the CK and I have had guys disappear then reappear elsewhere. If you save at the same time, and characters glitch often...your borked from that point on. Very dangerous mod right now I would solidly NOT recommend it until he patches it. Which he is doing now when he gets back from vacation.

So far Crafting 300 is my favorite mod. Adds the most weapons(a couple that don't fit) and seems to have the most attention to fitting them in where he could. Really great mod. http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=2933

Darkman M

After almost a week up, I gotta say...really not liking the current form of the Skyrim Workshop.

• The browsing experience is terrible compared to Skyrim Nexus. No search, very few categories, no requirement to use a mod before rating it, directory listing wastes what little space it has with a grid filled with images instead of a list with images and longer descriptions.
  • Damn their implementation of BSAs! If you change load order for Workshop ESPs - and you will at somepoint - Skyrim Launcher will redownload entire mods on launch.
  • BSA priority is a mess and based on alphanumeric ordering and not on modified dates, like ESPs. And renaming them to order them properly breaks the mod.
  • Even if one were to use Skyrim Workshop files alone, it's still an unnecessary hassle. Best solution if you want to use Skyrim Workshop is to download a mod then unsubscribe from it, which ultimately defeats any advantage it has.

The mess just isn't worth the hassle right now. And I'm not really surprised or too disappointed. Nobody gets it right the first time. I just hope Bethesda and Valve are aware of the issues and plan to rectify them. If not, maybe more mod creators will oblige requests to distribute their mods on Skyrim Nexus as well or more solutions are developed by the community.

Have to agree, as is im not impressed with workshop at all. Nexus is still the best way to go.

NBtoaster

There is a search now.

Karak

I haven't used it in a day or so and don't plan on going back anytime soon. Mod Organizer and a bit of thought have done me well up until this point. They will fix the site and added search but its really hinky.

I really want to try out a lot of these mods, but alas, my Skyrim setup seems to be getting more buggy and laggy with each day. :(

Still no word for us folks who are crashing a lot/lagging a bit with the Beth HD Texture pack? Last I heard was that disabling it from the Data list didn't stop the crashes.

-Mikey-

Are there any mods that refund perks? I feel like I wasted some points in a skill and would like to redistribute them.

EDIT: NM I found a way.

Vasili2K38

Ok people, I have to share this with you. Last week, for my birthday, a friend bought me Skyrim for PC. Since the PSX I've been mainly a console user, but the last 2-3 years thanks to my brother and things like Steam I've been playing a lot in PC. Always I've been very curious about modding the games, the customization aspect of the PC as a gaming platform (with its problems, of course) its a great aspect for me. But I was kind of turned off because it seemed complicated (now I think I was a dumbass lol), and I don't know, never tried to get into it (tried to mod New Vegas some time ago and I couldn't -_-).

But with Skyrim I finally made my mind up, and I spent two days (around 6 hours) learning to mod and tweaking the game. Its kind of funny that the Steam Workshop also motivated me to mod, but at the end I was downloading directly the mods from the Nexus, because imo for now the Workshop its kind of clumsy. But anyway, to get to the point, after modding and tweaking the game, I have to say that.. ITS FUCKING INCREDIBLE AWESOME! I played Skyrim vanilla a few hours in a friend's PC, but now my modded Skyrim its like a entire different game. I can't believe the potential of mods in terms of graphical improvements, UI, new content, gameplay.. now I understand perfectly the outrage when sometimes modding tools aren't released for games.

So people, another unbeliever who has found the light ;).

PD A screencap from the Nexus Download Manager with my currently installed mods. I use the Lite version of the HD 2K Texture Pack and the Performance preset of the ENB. For now I'm kind of shy to post screenshots, but I have my FRAPS and mbp to jpg conversor ready for the PC screenshot thread :D.

Top Bottom