• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mod Discussion and News [Creation Kit released]

Vasili2K38

I'm hoping for a hardcore mode too, since I feel that Skyrim lends itself better to it than even New Vegas.

Just a heads up, I love the survival gameplay, I've followed the survival mods for Skyrim and after a 100 hours testing of the last releases of my favourites ones (Imp's Complex Needs, Frostfall and Camping by LtMattmoo) I can say they're very bug free now and if you like adding survival aspects to Skyrim they're a must. In special Frostfall, which had lot of problems in they initial releases but now is very robust. And one of the last releases of Imp's Complex Needs has food decay, very well implemented and you have to balance the food you get and carry. Of course they're ways to preserve some meats and after a lore friend quest you're able to make a magic crystal with Ice Wraith Teeth that preserves food in a container, kind of a freezer.

Just reinstalled Skyrim for the first time since building my new rig. Thinking of starting fresh since it has been a long while and looking to use as many mods as possible.

Already overwhelmed with the amount of mods out there though. @_@

zkylon

zkylewd
Just a heads up, I love the survival gameplay, I've followed the survival mods for Skyrim and after a 100 hours testing of the last releases of my favourites ones (Imp's Complex Needs, Frostfall and Camping by LtMattmoo) I can say they're very bug free now and if you like adding survival aspects to Skyrim they're a must. In special Frostfall, which had lot of problems in they initial releases but now is very robust. And one of the last releases of Imp's Complex Needs has food decay, very well implemented and you have to balance the food you get and carry. Of course they're ways to preserve some meats and after a lore friend quest you're able to make a magic crystal with Ice Wraith Teeth that preserves food in a container, kind of a freezer.
Oh, cool, thanks.

I usually don't like Imp's Complex Needs because it's too overly complicated to be interesting, but it's a start. And it's good to know Frostfall got back on its feet, I was holding back on it because of all the bug reports and such.

dosh

Is there a good site/forum thread with comprehensive mod recommendations? Or do you guys have lists?

The list in the OP is a very good starting point. That's where I've found the first mods I installed when I started playing a few weeks ago, and most of them are great and/or useful.

Enco

Haven't played Skyrim for a long time.

I check the top mods every couple of weeks and it doesn't seem to have advanced at all? No new big mods?

Vasili2K38

I usually don't like Imp's Complex Needs because it's too overly complicated to be interesting

I disagree with you, it has a very intuitive interface and its very configurable (like last versions of Frostfall). I've checked almost all food/survival mods and Imp's its the better by far, and if you think the default mode its very complicated (which is only balance your diet, nothing more lol), you simply activate the basic mode which is very like the hardcore mode of New Vegas, only hunger and thirst. And the food decay is deactivated by default. If you have any doubt about this just ask or PM me :).

zkylon

zkylewd
I disagree with you, it has a very intuitive interface and its very configurable (like last versions of Frostfall). I've checked almost all food/survival mods and Imp's its the better by far, and if you think the default mode its very complicated (which is only balance your diet, nothing more lol), you simply activate the basic mode which is very like the hardcore mode of New Vegas, only hunger and thirst. And the food decay is deactivated by default. If you have any doubt about this just ask or PM me :).
Oh, might be different from the Imp's New Vegas mod then. Or I might be remembering it wrong. What confused me about Imp's mod on New Vegas was a whole lot of weird body size things and perks that would pop in and out depending what you ate, how much distance had you ran, etc. I didn't seem like I was interacting with it, it felt like some background thing that would semi-randomly change every couple hours based on stuff I inadvertently had set off.

My ideal setup would be: Frostfall + hunger, thirst, sleep + food decay + less generous loot tables + "gamified" fast travel (like in FWE, in which you had a motorcycle and had to repair it and fill it with gas).

I can live without food decay and "gamified" (couldn't think of a better word) fast travel, but all the others are key ingredients in my recipe for fun. If you can help me get there, I'd be much appreciated.

Vasili2K38

Oh, might be different from the Imp's New Vegas mod then. Or I might be remembering it wrong. What confused me about Imp's mod on New Vegas was a whole lot of weird body size things and perks that would pop in and out depending what you ate, how much distance had you ran, etc. I didn't seem like I was interacting with it, it felt like some background thing that would semi-randomly change every couple hours based on stuff I inadvertently had set off.

My ideal setup would be: Frostfall + hunger, thirst, sleep + food decay + less generous loot tables + "gamified" fast travel (like in FWE, in which you had a motorcycle and had to repair it and fill it with gas).

I can live without food decay and "gamified" (couldn't think of a better word) fast travel, but all the others are key ingredients in my recipe for fun. If you can help me get there, I'd be much appreciated.

About Imp's in Skyrim, you have two modes:
- Basic: you have hunger, thirst and sleep. You have penalties if you aren't well fed and you have slept enough hours, and is very similar to vanilla Hardcore mode of F:NV (maybe this one is the one you would like).
- Complex Needs: the previous one plus a few interesting things, you have now into account nutrient and protein ingest (and all the food has its protein and nutrient value). Basically this means that you have to balance your diet, because each one of this variables has benefits if you keep them high. Also you have another minor variables (mental and physical fatigue, and morale) but those have a very minor influence. At first I was kind of scared of this mode, but at the end I love it because you can't rely in eating food like a mindless robot.

Anyway, I think you should try Imp's in basic mode + Frostfall. And about fast travel, Frostfall has an option to deactivate it, and in order to balance gameplay I use Imp's Better Horses, probably one of the better vanilla horses mod. Better Horses allows you to configure speed, stamina, health and price, and also features optional cowardice and godmode for horses (all in user friendly menus ingame). Also adds horse item storage, diverses horses races and a few horse commands that are very useful. Better Horses at the beginning also had its share of problems, but now is fairly bug free. In my case I use it to buff the horses and use them as fast travel substitute.

zkylon

zkylewd
About Imp's in Skyrim, you have two modes:
- Basic: you have hunger, thirst and sleep. You have penalties if you aren't well fed and you have slept enough hours, and is very similar to vanilla Hardcore mode of F:NV (maybe this one is the one you would like).
- Complex Needs: the previous one plus a few interesting things, you have now into account nutrient and protein ingest (and all the food has its protein and nutrient value). Basically this means that you have to balance your diet, because each one of this variables has benefits if you keep them high. Also you have another minor variables (mental and physical fatigue, and morale) but those have a very minor influence. At first I was kind of scared of this mode, but at the end I love it because you can't rely in eating food like a mindless robot.

Anyway, I think you should try Imp's in basic mode + Frostfall. And about fast travel, Frostfall has an option to deactivate it, and in order to balance gameplay I use Imp's Better Horses, probably one of the better vanilla horses mod. Better Horses allows you to configure speed, stamina, health and price, and also features optional cowardice and godmode for horses (all in user friendly menus ingame). Also adds horse item storage, diverses horses races and a few horse commands that are very useful. Better Horses at the beginning also had its share of problems, but now is fairly bug free. In my case I use it to buff the horses and use them as fast travel substitute.
Nice. So all I need now is for SkyUI to be finished. SkyUI seems to be sadly abandoned, so I hope someone else takes the torch of fixing the mess Beth made. If no one does, I might, since I heard it's made in Flash. Won't be as pretty though :p

Pat

So I did the whole game (not exactly but) and I want to do it in a different way. Something more challenging beside ennemies having more HP. I really, really liked the Hardcore mode in New Vegas.

I was wondering if Imp's Complex Needs + Frostfall "hardcore" + master difficulty is suicide?

zkylon

zkylewd
So I did the whole game (not exactly but) and I want to do it in a different way. Something more challenging beside ennemies having more HP. I really, really liked the Hardcore mode in New Vegas.

I was wondering if Imp's Complex Needs + Frostfall "hardcore" + master difficulty is suicide?
If New Vegas is any indication, not at all. May get a little frustrating every now and then, but it'll be an enjoyable challenge.

Browsing through the steam workshop to find mods that gives a litte bit more quest contents to the cities, and improve different smaller factions - thalmor, fornsworn, etc. Anyone have any tips about "must have" mods in those areas?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
New ENB version is up: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=5253

36a75854ce5b54ff98ecd65571990ba5d7712655.jpg

4bc6c64d723ec52f22c27f884a16e99b3d2c03e5.jpg

b7229e796c117b7205be0d67f5996b6b96e94ef0.jpg

So I downloaded CM ENB and installed it, but it looks nothing like most of the screens I see people post of it.

I would kill to have my Skyrim look like yours... Tips?

MrBig

So I downloaded CM ENB and installed it, but it looks nothing like most of the screens I see people post of it.

I would kill to have my Skyrim look like yours... Tips?

What is it that looks different? There are a lot of ini/ingame settings that can change how the ENB post process works.

The newest ENB (I don't know if there have been any mod versions released) is looking really great with its new shadow technique.

BigTnaples

It looks much smoother in other peoples screens. Character models look great, and metal has a metallic glint to it. Objects on tables etc look very solid and smooth. The lighting looks different. Mine looks better than vanilla, but nothing like that. I will host some pics later tonight.

BigTnaples

Here are a few steam Screens of mine, like I said, it does not look "bad" by any means, but the shaders/lighting look nothing like the do in most ENB shots I see.

I absolutely love the way the armor looks in these shots, and even the skin of the orc, or the rocks.

Objects on tables in ENB shots I have seen look amazing, yet mine look kind of flat...

Any tips?

MrBig

Here are a few steam Screens of mine, like I said, it does not look "bad" by any means, but the shaders/lighting look nothing like the do in most ENB shots I see.

I absolutely love the way the armor looks in these shots, and even the skin of the orc, or the rocks.

Objects on tables in ENB shots I have seen look amazing, yet mine look kind of flat...

Any tips?

The ENB shots you gave as examples are parts of different ENB releases. Try out that Jasmin and Sharpshooter ENB settings, those are the two I felt looked the best. Jasmin has a more cinematic look and Sharpshooter retained the style and IQ of the original game settings.

BigTnaples

Got Jasmins working, looks amazing, couldn't get Confident to work I guess.

This in combination with all the other graphical mods from Steam Workshop and this looks like vanilla is the "Wii version" of Skyrim.

One nitpick being the character creator is unusable do to DoF, the Character is off to the right, therefore out of focus, making creating a new character kind of difficult if not impossible.

MrBig

Got Jasmins working, looks amazing, couldn't get Confident to work I guess.

This in combination with all the other graphical mods from Steam Workshop and this looks like vanilla is the "Wii version" of Skyrim.

One nitpick being the character creator is unusable do to DoF, the Character is off to the right, therefore out of focus, making creating a new character kind of difficult if not impossible.

Rename your d3d9.dll to something else and it will disable ENB when you need to do that.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I may start playing again...The game got a bit too easy for me to enjoy (I don't know, the exploration was cool and all, but after I was wrecking everything...). Rather than trying to explain what I'm looking for, I'll just do a list!

- Are there any good mods that add some tougher monsters?
- What about a more rewarding loot system?
- Any stable "new" areas that people have created?
- Anything that expands crafting?

SkyUI looks brilliant, so I'm definitely grabbing that. I don't really care about anything texture related, but I will grab the glowing ore veins...That will be CRAZY helpful. I appreciate any help and suggestions. :) Thanks guys!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I haven't played Skyrim since the creation kit came out or seen what mods were out except for the first week or so when it came out.

Holy shit there is a lot of mods.

JJBro One

So what the hell? My brother gets ip banned from nexus for piracy because he told an admin that I gifted the game to him through steam. Now he can't even sign in to download mods or contact anybody. I tried talking to an admin and explained the situation and he kicked me out the chat thinking I was my brother with an alt account. How do we get unbanned?

AusQB

Anyone know if there's a working transmog mod out there? I'm really sick of this Daedric armour.

I'm subscribed to one on the Steam Workshop, but the author hasn't touched it in months and is nowhere near being functional.

wilflare

i think i kinda cut down on the mods i use.

Quality World Map
SkyUI (SKSE)
Bethseda Skyrim Texture Pack (or should I try Skyrim HD?)

(Skyboost is no longer necessary right?)

wanted to use Gionight ENB but it seems like it is no longer available.
any other recommendations on ENB? (i prefer the vibrant colors)

been months since I played Skyrim!

AusQB

i think i kinda cut down on the mods i use.

Quality World Map
SkyUI (SKSE)
Bethseda Skyrim Texture Pack (or should I try Skyrim HD?)

(Skyboost is no longer necessary right?)

wanted to use Gionight ENB but it seems like it is no longer available.
any other recommendations on ENB? (i prefer the vibrant colors)

been months since I played Skyrim!

Xenius Character Enhancement by Xenius01

This drastically improves the quality of character and NPC faces, but not to the point where they look like flawless and unnatural.

This is an all-in-one pack of his mods, but if you prefer to omit some you can install the integrated mods individually via Curse only (http://www.curse.com/users/Xenius01). I personally don't like the bright eyes, but everything else is wonderful.

It's available on Curse and Steam Workshop.

EDIT: Oh oops, I thought you said recommendations for mods, not ENB. Still, I personally urge you to try this if you haven't already.

MrBig

That ENB looks great, I'll try it.

I pulled up skyrim again and started a new character for the DLC. The newest "realistic lighting" that gets rid of all of bethesda's hideous lighting mistakes seems to have its own hideous mistake of ruining the bethesda's beautiful sky. What alternatives are there?

I thought I would update this thread out of the goodness of my heart with some mods that I've been using lately. It's been a while since the OP updated.

Skyrim Redone- an overhaul mod that changes perks, racial abilities, enemy abilities, etc. Makes the game more difficult and balanced. Look at the mod for a complete list of what it does, but I have found all of the changes to be great.

Skyrim Monster Mod-adds crapload of awesome monsters

Interesting NPCs-Not only places NPCs throughout the world, but has 150,000 lines of actual audio dialogue to go with it. Very impressive and a lot of the NPCs are funny and interesting. Supposedly there are also three quests that are added but I haven't found them.

Populated Cities-makes cities feel more alive by adding more people in the towns. Note that I am playing on low settings and did not notice any performance hit with this one.

Alternate Start-this mod allows you to skip the beginning Helgen sequence altogether and choose your start from about a dozen different scenarios. Want your character to be a visiting nobleman? Coming to Skyrim to join a guild? You can choose your start and begin the game in a variety of locations. The main quest isn't even activated until you visit Helgen and activate a charred body. NOTE that until you do this Ulfric won't be at this throne in Windhelm, and of course no dragons.

Categorized Favorites Menu-DO NOT PLAY THE GAME WITHOUT THIS MOD!!!! It makes everything so easy to quickly get to.

Wearable Lanterns- easily toggable hip lantern that works great with realistic lighting mods such as this one.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Argh, fuck Steam sometimes. I'm trying to download the high res texture pack in the second post of the OP and Steam never actually navigates to the page when I click the link and searching through Steam Workshop is so terrible that its impossible for me to find it manually.

BigDug13

Did they ever release an English dub for Nehrim?

Why would they? Imagine the immense work to find voice actors in their country that have passable English speaking to play every voice role in the game...for something you're downloading for free.

I'm fine with subtitles as long as I get to play and understand their fantastic conversions.

Argh, fuck Steam sometimes. I'm trying to download the high res texture pack in the second post of the OP and Steam never actually navigates to the page when I click the link and searching through Steam Workshop is so terrible that its impossible for me to find it manually.

It might be that texture pack got pulled down from the workshop. That stuff happen sometimes. If its the Bethesda texture you want that isn't from the workshop its actually DLC. So go to the store page for Skyrim and it will be there.

Top Bottom