• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mod Discussion and News [Creation Kit released]

Naito

I just got Skyrim and it's currently installing, so I thought I'd ask a quick question. If I have Skyrim on Steam I can still install mods that are not on the Steam Workshop, correct?

Yes, you can install whichever mods you want.

Sorry if this subject came up before, but i was wondering if there was a mod that makes it so that if there's only one weapon or a weapon and shield or two-handed weapon equipped, you attack with the left mouse button and block with the right, but if you are dual wielding, then you use the left weapon with the left mouse button and the right weapon with the right button.

Isn't that default behavior in the game... or am I missing something?

Am I the only one who couldn't care less about the ENB stuff and only cares about the mods which affect gameplay?

This thread is 80% graphics mod discussion :/

If you only want that one instead of an entire armor pack, it's the Blue Stripes Commando Armor from The Witcher 2.

Now for some new pics

y5FeI.jpg

adjoc.jpg

WOW how can I make my characters look like this?

Thx!

Cystm

Sifting through the thread, I've seen screen shots with bare torso'ed characters, is that a mod? Or are you simply not wearing armor?

Link would be appreciated.

Got this to mess around with mods; is everything on Skyrim Nexus on the Steam Workshop?

And could someone plz make a brief list of a few essential mods; especially yours che, your shots are sick

Fireblend

Banned
So, I'm new to skyrim modding, I reviewed the OP and have been browsing the Nexus site for a while, and I'm still not clear on how to use the ENB mods; do I have to download anything first? I just got the modified dx dll, some files from the Confidence Man mod, and pasted them on the folder where the executable is. Is that it? I'm not seeing any major changes so I must have gone wrong somewhere. Any help is appreciated!

So, I'm new to skyrim modding, I reviewed the OP and have been browsing the Nexus site for a while, and I'm still not clear on how to use the ENB mods; do I have to download anything first? I just got the modified dx dll, some files from the Confidence Man mod, and pasted them on the folder where the executable is. Is that it? I'm not seeing any major changes so I must have gone wrong somewhere. Any help is appreciated!

I was trying to do that same thing - didn't see any noticeable difference from the vanilla game when pasting ENB files to the Skyrim directory. I'm trying out some Steam workshop mods right now and I don't see any difference either. Weird.

So this mod: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/15998 is causing Skyim to CTD after going through the splash screens during start ups. When I remove the ENB dll that the read me tells you to drop in the skyrim main folder, it starts up fine, proving that this mod the cause of the problems. Any ideas? Thanks!

Sound like you might have one of MSI afterburner, evga precision, etc overlays running. ENB is incompatible with those so you should disable them.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I was trying to do that same thing - didn't see any noticeable difference from the vanilla game when pasting ENB files to the Skyrim directory. I'm trying out some Steam workshop mods right now and I don't see any difference either. Weird.

Is your Data Files button greyed out in the launcher?

ACE 1991

So how do I enable triple-buffering and ENB? D3d overrider causes ENB to crash skyrim to desktop. Also, what are the biggest ENB performance hogs? Thanks!

MrBig

So how do I enable triple-buffering and ENB? D3d overrider causes ENB to crash skyrim to desktop. Also, what are the biggest ENB performance hogs? Thanks!

SSAO with ENB is pretty bad. It has glitches where you can see it through geometry, and just looks bad. Forcing SSAO though the nvidia control panel look much better, which you can do for triple buffering as well.

Loginius

Is there any solution to the damn stuttering whenever I turn around? Also when the game autosaves my framerate takes a huge dive.
Disable auto save?
When you're game stutters even though you're frame rate is higher than 60 (30) fps you can try locking it at 60 or 30.
Alternatively you can get the 64hz fix from nexus, doesn't always work tho.

I have problems fixing the Bethesda Hd texture pack...
I just can't get the fix to work.
Could that be happening because I installed the 2k as well?
(which works without problems, the texture bugs from the Bethesda pack remain though)

Nvidia's SSAO doesn't compare. The biggest performance hog is the indirect lighting (SSIL) though now there's a new sky lighting feature, which is like another kind of AO on outdoor shadows which is pretty intesive on top of everything else.

Jtrizzy

all of the sudden the game just crashes on me after the initial loading screen, as soon as the world opens up. I guess I should just disable the mods? I haven't picked the game up in a few months but want to finish it.

kaskade

Is there any way to load the skse thing or whatever when loading the game through Steam? I pretty much use it with SkyUI and there's a message saying that it won't work properly even though it seems to be.

Loginius

Why not include the skse launcher in your steam library and rename it to something like "skyrim launcher" if you fancy starting the game through steam ?
Works just fine as long as you start the game with it instead of the regular launcher.
The message shows up because skse isn't working but skiUI will work to some extent even without it.

Anybody have any ideas on how I could fix this? I think it is because I had the Enhanced High-Level Gameplay mod installed because it only happens with the "elite" NPCs it added. I reinstalled the mod, but every enemy camp I go through still has a few guys that look like this. They don't animate or anything. They just slide around. Any way I can repopulate all of the areas with new NPCs?

eOxhJ.png

Loginius

Im not sure if this will work, but try waiting for 31days in a player house for everything in the game to respawn and see if the npcs got properly replaced.
Also in/uninstall the mod while you are in a player house, the game might not apply the mod properly when you are in a area with npcs.

Loginius

I don't know his exact setup, but if you want to make skyrim look like that (or similar) I recommend using:
HD texture pack
2k Texture pack
Improved bodies and faces
Climates of Tamriel
W. A. T. E. R.
Improved meshes
Flora and fauna overhaul
(probably forgot some)

Custom ini settings to improve view distance and shadows.
(do not save after improving grids before the game runs stable as you won't be able to use that save with lower grid settings anymore. Read the op in this and the improving performance thread for more details on ini settings. I like to have my shadow view distance at 2000 inside and 5000 outside at 4096 primary and blurring them at 7 (max) as I think it is the best tradeoff)

A custom ENB setting (I use a modified version of the better fx enb which is very playable and only messes up very few things like distant water at night which is too bright in all enb versions with no workaround as of jet)
Be aware that doing all this will greatly decrease performance.

^Forcewithin's ENB preset rocks, here are a couple of screenshots from the PC thread.

7b0b9dc5f178a232b0abb66ab712108908d2e104.jpg

d300cca8be8e4f5fa091a6f15884ee9e8a091ad3.jpg

71206fa58691df31369041e2d22d5abfb7958c47.jpg

I'm having a hard time concentrating on actually playing the game :p

Naito

^Forcewithin's ENB preset rocks, here are a couple of screenshots from the PC thread.

I agree, there're better ENB's for interiors or darker areas, such as Midhrastic or DARK, but I have to say ForceWithin's one is well balanced in every category,
which makes it the winner in my setup considering that I still play the game, instead of just launching it and looking for a nice spot to take ss the whole time.

I'll take this opportunity to post my latest pictures

JYxGu.jpg

ESvd7.jpg

FOC0E.jpg

As I already said, I'll post a comprehensive list of the mods I'm currently using later in the day.

Loginius

If anyone just got Skyrim, and if you're looking for videos on mods, check out my youtube channel here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/insane0hflex

[Plugging my channel, want to share with more people :) ]

really nice videos, I really enjoyed the showcases.

I tried the ForceWithin ENB but some (a lot) of the shadows were way too dark, too many crushed blacks imo (at specific daytimes at least) and the generall "feeling" of the visuals didnt really click with me as I really like how vanilla skyrim looks and do not wish to change but improve it.
(feel free to disagree)

Some of my shots, no specific camera placement or anything, just regular gameplay:
(Some shots without ENB for comparison, I downsample to 1366x768 so Im not running a awefull lot of AA)

I agree, there're better ENB's for interiors or darker areas, such as Midhrastic or DARK, but I have to say ForceWithin's one is well balanced in every category,
which makes it the winner in my setup considering that I still play the game, instead of just launching it and looking for a nice spot to take ss the whole time.

I'll take this opportunity to post my latest pictures

JYxGu.jpg

ESvd7.jpg

FOC0E.jpg

As I already said, I'll post a comprehensive list of the mods I'm currently using later in the day.

I said GOD DAMN.

The Witcher 3!

coopolon

Am I the only one who couldn't care less about the ENB stuff and only cares about the mods which affect gameplay?

This thread is 80% graphics mod discussion :/

I'm thinking apparently Skyrim needs two mod threads, one for people who just want to take pictures and one for people who are interested in playing the game.

I'm thinking apparently Skyrim needs two mod threads, one for people who just want to take pictures and one for people who are interested in improving the game.

But isn't enhancing visuals improving the game for said person? I personally find Skyrim vanilla graphically/visually, atrocious.

Im not sure if this will work, but try waiting for 31days in a player house for everything in the game to respawn and see if the npcs got properly replaced.
Also in/uninstall the mod while you are in a player house, the game might not apply the mod properly when you are in a area with npcs.

Thanks for responding! I tried a bunch of different install/uninstall/reinstall and wait 31 days combinations and still couldn't get it worked out. I even tried killing the defective NPCs and waiting 31 days only for them to respawn still deformed.

I was going to try starting a new file and seeing if it was an issue there, but three minutes into the cart ride the game crashes. I tried starting a new game with no mods loading, and it still crashes at the start. Steam verified the game files, but that doesn't always mean everything is all right.

So now I am redownloading the whole game. Hopefully whatever files were messed up will be fixed!

Loginius

Thanks for responding! I tried a bunch of different install/uninstall/reinstall and wait 31 days combinations and still couldn't get it worked out. I even tried killing the defective NPCs and waiting 31 days only for them to respawn still deformed.

I was going to try starting a new file and seeing if it was an issue there, but three minutes into the cart ride the game crashes. I tried starting a new game with no mods loading, and it still crashes at the start. Steam verified the game files, but that doesn't always mean everything is all right.

So now I am redownloading the whole game. Hopefully whatever files were messed up will be fixed!

Ah too bad man, but reinstalling is a very safe fix, so I think you should be good now :D

I as well can assure that my settings are in no way bad for playing the game.

But you guys are right, this shouldnt be all about graphics, so here are some non graphic mod recomendations (I use all of them and can assure you that they work together flawless if installed properly):

-SkyMoMod - (adds a lot of new monsters, I chose the lore friendly version)
-ApachiiHair - (adds new hairstyles, most (imo) bad anime-esque-style but some awesome ones)
-SoS - The Dungeons - (Sounds of Skyrim, adds houndreds of new sounds that greatly improve immersion, can be tweeked ingame after installing, was taken from nexus because a lot of people issued problems after the last update, runs fine for me at this point tho)
-SoS - The Wilds
-SoS - Civilization
-Arrowsmith - (lets you craft arrows)
-Chesko_WearableLantern - (gives you the option to use latterns, you can either hold them or bind them to your belt, gives you tons of options like how much oil a lattern will use up in a given timeframe etc., you can catch a firebug in a jar and use that as a lattern as well)
-Convenient Horses - (makes horses usefull, you can summon your horse with a warhorn, you can adjust horse behaviour life stamina etc., gives the option to talk and loot while riding, followers get the warhorn and a horse, you can customize a lot more stuff)
-Dr_Bandolier Bags and pouches - (lets you craft pouches and bags that can be applied to any armor)
-Occupy Skyrim - (improves skyrims random encounters)
-ScenicCarriages - (gives you the option to "see" the carriage rides between citys in first or third person, is highly customizable)
-Bucklers-Complete - (adds some "small" versions of shields for "thief" like charackter builds
-Cloaks - (adds cloaks)
-Dwarven Condenser - (adds a new dwemer staff that shoots steam)
-DwarvenMech - (adds dwemer assassins creed esque sword and a new shield)
-Dwemer Scouter - (steampunk googles,looks awesome, gives you the option to enable live detection)
-hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation - (awesome armor set)
-Space Wiking's Dwemer Exoskeleton - (adds a dwemer exosceleton that can be customized, normally gives a speed carry and stamina boost, hurts you at the highest setting while running, spawns sparks and steam -> looks awesome)
-DeadlyDragons - (makes dragons more deadly :p, greatly customizable, adds new spells for dragons making the fights more challenging and interessting)
-DeadlyDragonsSpells - (adds new spells and a new upgrade system for the new spells -> you use dragonsouls)
-DeadlyDragonsArmory - (gives slayn dragons new items which you can then use to craft new almost op armor, but then again deadly dragons almost requires awesome armor when you play on the hardest setting)
-BuildableHouse - (gives you a new player house, thing is it isnt build yet so go gather those mats)
-Acquisitive Soul Gems - ("fixes" the soul to soul gem transition, no more lessr souls in black soulstones)
-SkyTEST-RealisticAnimals&Predators - (makes animals behave more naturally, they have a foodchain will hunt in packs flee from you more often and mate once a year, bears hibernate during the winter)
-MidasSkyrim - (adds a lot of spells, not all of them are what I would call balanced jet, but then again the vanilla spells arent either, spells have to be crafted at special locations)
-UFO - Ultimate Follower Overhaul - (makes followers usefull, highly customizable through inlore chatter with your companion, lets you have more than only one follower at a time)
-Spousetocustomhome - (spouses can live anywhere)
-83Willows_101BUGS - (adds a whole lot of new bugs)
-MageFriendlyDragonPriestMasks - (turns the dragon priest masks that are quite clearly intended for mages from light to no armor rating)
-dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - (dead bodys wont fly 20feet when killed with a bow or magic, improves ragdolls)
-thundering shouts- (changes the dragon shouts to be more "thundering")

Some of them are just awesome and should not be missing in any Skyrim-Mod library, almost all of them are lore friendly as well.

But you guys are right, this shouldnt be all about graphics, so here are some non graphic mod recomendations (I use all of them and can assure you that they work together flawless if installed properly):

-Chesko_WearableLantern - (gives you the option to use latterns, you can either hold them or bind them to your belt, gives you tons of options like how much oil a lattern will use up in a given timeframe etc., you can catch a firebug in a jar and use that as a lattern as well)

This has become one of my favorite mods. It makes me feel more adventurous. :3

Its a bit late now, but have you tried running BOSS?

Naito

Ok folks, this is a comprehensive list of the mods I'm currently using; it's not a complete one (because it took a bit to link all the mentioned ones) but you can say it's definitely most of them.
Do keep in mind that these mods were chosen in the first place to be suited according to my tastes and play style. I'm posting this list because some gaffers are curious about my setup.
I'm currently not using Sounds of Skyrim (SoS) because it makes my game CTD with Climates of Tamriel and it's not supported anymore.

You can check the visual style achieved with these mods in my previous posts: 01 - 02 - 03 - 04 - 05 - 06
Enjoy and happy modding!

Last update: 2012.25.07
. Combat: added Burn Freeze Shock Effects, No Spinning Death Animation and Improved Combat Sounds

❒ General
. Texture Pack Combiner (Skyrim HD 2k, Serious HD, Skyrim Realistic Overhaul, Vurz Flora overhaul, Lush Grass)
. Static Mesh Improvement Mod - SMIM
. ForceWithin ENB

❒ Environment
. AOF Detailed Mountains
. Vurz Skyrim Flora Overhaul (integrated into Texture Pack Combiner)
. Lush Grass (integrated into Texture Pack Combiner)
. Real Glaciers
. 83Willows 101BugsHD (V4_1 High + HighSpawn)
. Birds of Skyrim
. Sounds of Nature Redux
. Enhanced Distant Terrain

❒ Water
. W.A.T.E.R. (+ Get Wet + wetter looking rocks)
. Green Water Fix (v2 Compatible)
. Blacksmithforge water fix

❒ Weather
. Project Reality - Climates Of Tamriel (+ Vanilla Lights lvl3)
. Dramatic Clouds
. Better Dynamic Snow
. Get Snowy
. Nicer Snowflakes (Realistic)
. Revamped Exterior Fog
. Real Rain (RealRain Options 5_1 option A & RealRainRipples 5_0)
. Lightning during Thunder Storms (+ CoT patch)
. Immersive Skyrim Thunder V5

❒ Lightning
. CLARALUX - More and Brighter Lights (V2A)
. Lanterns of Skyrim - All In One (+ Climates Of Tamriel Preset v2)
. theFlicker
. Shadow Striping Fix
. Brighter Campfires (x 1.5)
. People Have Torches
. Spells will give off Light (EVEN SMALLER Spell Light Radius - 35% reduction v4)

❒ FX
. Realistic Smoke and Embers
. Finer Dust

❒ GUI
. A Quality World Map - With Roads
. Skill Interface Retexture
. KenMOD - Time on loading screen
. Main Menu Spinning Skyrim Emblem (Very Slow Speed)

❒ Combat
. ACE - Combat Skills (Master File - V.12a)
. ASIS - Automatic Spells, Increased Spawns
. BYOG - Balance Your Own Game
. The Dance of Death - A Killmove Mod
. Arrows Tweaks
. Enhanced Blood Textures (+ No Screen Blood + Other Blood ESP Tweaks)
. Burn Freeze Shock Effects
. Deadly Spell Impacts (Frost +10% transparency, Lightning Purple Embers)
. No Spinning Death Animation
. Improved Combat Sounds

❒ Appearance
. Apachii Sky Hair
. Cazy hairs and demoness hairs conversion
. AOF Believable Hair
. Covereyes (eyes 4)
. Gizmodian Scars
. Improved Freckles Skyrim

. Calientes Female Body Mod Big Bottom Edition - CBBE NSFW
. Besvanbeu Muscle Textures + navatsea female presets V2 (+ feminine arms toned abs PATCH) NSFW
. Better males - Beautiful nudes and faces (Underwear - Default) NSFW
. High Res Face Maps for Men by Geonox (Detailed)
. Male Underwear Replacer - Loin

. Coverkhajiits (female + male)
. JazzJR Argonian retexture (HD, using female folder only)

❒ Apparel
. AEterna Circlets
. AEterna Rings
. Expanded Jewelry Crafting

. Cloaks of Skyrim
. Winter is Coming - Cloaks
. Bandolier - Bags and Pouches

. Elaborate Textiles - NPC Clothing Retexture
. Hvergelmirs Armor Retexture
. Hvergelmirs Shield Retexture
. aMidianBorn steel armor
. aMidianBorn steel plate armor
. Dark Elven Thalmor-style Equipment
. Alternate Glass armor textures (Elven)
. Thieves Guild Armor Denim Style HQ
. 83Willows REAL DREADLOCKS female Forsworn (BROWN replacer)
. Immersive Armors
. Triss Armor Retextured
. Tribunal Robes
. Black Tower and Black Sacrament Armor pack
. Kynesguard and Daedra Hunter Weapons and Armor
. Space Wiking Dwemer Exoskeleton
. Dwemer Goggles and Scouter

❒ Weapons
. Well Placed Weapons and Quivers
. Millenia Weapon Retexture Project - WRP
. Icy Chillrend with transparency
. Insanitys Dragonbane
. The Loner's Sword
. Witchers Silver Sword
. Bow and Arrow HD Retex
. Private Selective Quivers
. Daedric Arrows and Quiver Retextured

❒ Followers
. UFO - Ultimate Follower Overhaul
. Convenient Horses
. Horse Armors for Skyrim
. Non Whory Looking Housecarls slightly NSFW
. Lydia face change
. Temptress Race
. The New Jordis, The New Aela, The New Mjoll, The New Brelyna, The New Ria, etc.
. 83Willows - JENASSA
. 83Willows - THAIDEN (New Follower)
. Cerwinden - SMART Follower

❒ Misc
. Rich Merchants
. Dynamic Merchants
. Better Gold (Gilt)
. Unique Booze Bottles HD
. HQ Paper
. Insanitys City Banner Replacer
. Expanded Winterhold Destruction Ruins (Exterior)
. Solitude Public Bathhouse
. Lakeside Hideaway
. Lockpick graduation (option B)
. Less touchy lockpicking
. Feminine Running and New Dash Animation
. Spouses Can Live Everywhere
. Divorce

❒ Utilities
. BOSS
. Review Studio
. IMAGINATOR - Visual Control Device for Skyrim
. Directors Tools
. Puppeteer Master

Btw I also did some minor tweaking on both the ini files. Nothing too serious, I followed the nVIDIA tweaking guide and added
some specific lines recommended or requested by some mods.

Top Bottom