• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - November 11th, 2011 - [Update: New Engine]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lakitu

st5fu
Sorry to bump this and get people's hopes up, but any idea when the new game informer is going to hit subscribers or when it's due to release? I'm aching for information.

ZeroRay

Lakitu said:
Sorry to bump this and get people's hopes up, but any idea when the new game informer is going to hit subscribers or when it's due to release? I'm aching for information.

SOON!

*grumble grumble*

Clevinger

Lakitu said:

It ships out on the 6th. From what I know, scans of GI have hit the web/subscribers have gotten it as early as two days after it's shipped, so we'll see.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Clevinger said:
It ships out on the 6th. From what I know, scans of GI have hit the web/subscribers have gotten it as early as two days after it's shipped, so we'll see.
We've actually had them on the day it has shipped before, like with Tomb Raider.

Razorskin

----- ------
This is easily my most anticipated game of 2011, all that can be guaranteed is that the cover will be shown on the Game Informer website on the 6th.

One more day until the cover unveil iam so excited :D

For the king!
For the king!
For the sake of Skyrim!
For our life, for our home
For Hrothgar's blood
For the Nords and for the Gods,
For the sole single son
Dovahkiin, our king, who'll dawn with fire!

BrettWeir

I honestly can't recall a game in which I have been so excited for. Going to be a long 11 months. Here's looking forward to lots of media being released. WTB some videos!!

GreekWolf

I'm like a kid on Christmas morning whenever I have a new Elder Scrolls game in my hands.

I'm sure many people feel the same way about Mario but, for me, Bethesda RPGs are the definitive reason to play video games.

JoeBoy101

Actually, I expect a graphics bump, sure. And hope its a good one, but given where graphics are today, I think they can get away with a jump not as large as between Morrowind and Oblivion.

That said, the gameplay absolutely needs that level of improvement between the two games as gameplay from Morrowind to Oblivion was nothing but downward. I demand Skyrim to not only exceed Oblivion (no great feat), but to eclipse Morrowind as well.

And for fucking Gods sake, BRING BACK CLIMBING!!! I loved that in Daggerfall, when cities closed at night, you could scale the walls to get in. Or doing so in an dungeon as another example.

Vinci

Danish
JoeBoy101 said:
Actually, I expect a graphics bump, sure. And hope its a good one, but given where graphics are today, I think they can get away with a jump not as large as between Morrowind and Oblivion.

That said, the gameplay absolutely needs that level of improvement between the two games as gameplay from Morrowind to Oblivion was nothing but downward. I demand Skyrim to not only exceed Oblivion (no great feat), but to eclipse Morrowind as well.

And for fucking Gods sake, BRING BACK CLIMBING!!! I loved that in Daggerfall, when cities closed at night, you could scale the walls to get in. Or doing so in an dungeon as another example.

And bring back the ability to steal pillows.

Yes, I know, it sounds insane.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Darkman M said:
I can't wait for some eye candy TES games always push it to the next level with each game graphically.

And maybe this time they'll improve the animation, character models and variety in voice acting. Oh and get rid of scaling enemies and bring back levitate!

Ok, maybe not, but one can dream.

Vinci said:

I used a nice trick with a pillow in Morrowind:
In one of the towers in balmora theres a very powerful sword (for a new char) at the top of the tower but theres also a guard. To lure the guard away i stole the pillow from the bed jumped down the stairs went to the basement and got cought by the guard. Payed the fine and run upstairs to steal the sword and the guard didnt notice :lol

GhaleonEB

Vinci said:

When I was playing my thief character, I would steal the silverware off every table in the house I was looting. And just the silverware.

Darkman M

xelios said:
And maybe this time they'll improve the animation, character models and variety in voice acting. Oh and get rid of scaling enemies and bring back levitate!

Yeah i never understood why such a big name title has such shit animations, getting that fixed should be very high on the agenda list. Hopefully they improve on the models too, but modders can fix that.

Vinci

Danish
GhaleonEB said:
When I was playing my thief character, I would steal the silverware off every table in the house I was looting. And just the silverware.

My favorite Morrowind character was a thief with a bizarre compulsion to steal pillows. He wouldn't go into places with that in mind, though. No, he'd go in for more reasonable thief-like agendas - but once a pillow entered the equation, he would risk life and limb in order to get it, to hell with the other treasures he might lose out on by doing so. Most fun character I ever played in a RPG. Enjoyed the hell out of it. Played Oblivion and... you can't steal pillows. I quit playing it after an hour or so. So disappointing.

Tr4nce

Can't wait for Game Informer's piece of info tomorrow and the rest of the month! I have a feeling I'm gonna be underwhelmed though... I wouldn't mind if the graphics weren't all that great, but fix the gameplay more so please!

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Oblivion to me was basically a prettier, unfun Morrowind. It basically took everything I liked about Morrowind and found some way to fuck it up.

They need to reintroduce the overwhelming freedom and lack of direction, even in cases where it doesn't really make sense from a gameplay perspective.

Every time I hear about Morrowind it makes me want to play it. But when I actually start playing I get bored after 10 minutes of play time. I wish I would have played it before I ever played Oblivion.

Mr_Brit

Banned
-Yeti said:
Every time I hear about Morrowind it makes me want to play it. But when I actually start playing I get bored after 10 minutes of play time. I wish I would have played it before I ever played Oblivion.
I have. I played Morrowind around 2005 and uninstalled it after an hour as it just didn't grab me at all. A year later I played Oblivion and loved from the moment I started it and have completed it three times. Don't let the GAF hate get you down about it, Oblivion was an amazing gaming experience.

Ledsen

JoeBoy101 said:

Separated cities and landscapes means they can't have levitation or climbing. I don't foresee this changing in ESV.

Mr_Brit said:
I have. I played Morrowind around 2005 and uninstalled it after an hour as it just didn't grab me at all. A year later I played Oblivion and loved from the moment I started it and have completed it three times. Don't let the GAF hate get you down about it, Oblivion was an amazing gaming experience.

Yay! Someone who agrees! I've spent approximately 600 hours in Oblivion... On consoles. That was before I had a good enough PC to run it. Now I've probably spent 100 hours on the PC version. Mods just make it so much better.

I really hope they've done a serious overhaul on their player progression system. The min-maxer in my can't help but play Oblivion or Morrowind without a pad of paper to know what skills have gone up so that I know when to "sleep" and actually level up. It's a lot of work. I wish it was a bit more straightforward and didn't require* this.

* I know it's not REQUIRED, but it feels like it to me

Ledsen said:
Separated cities and landscapes means they can't have levitation or climbing. I don't foresee this changing in ESV.

Agree. I did like having it for hard-to-reach places in dungeons and stuff though, you'd think they'd be able to compromise somehow.

I wish we could just have a few screenshots, is that too much to ask for a game coming out less than a year away? Just want to see the new engine!

kamspy

BobsRevenge said:
Oblivion to me was basically a prettier, unfun Morrowind. It basically took everything I liked about Morrowind and found some way to fuck it up.

They need to reintroduce the overwhelming freedom and lack of direction, even in cases where it doesn't really make sense from a gameplay perspective.

I kind have a sick feeling that Skyrim will be even more streamlined and "user friendly" than Oblivion was.

I hope I'm wrong. My $50 is ready.

ZeroRay

TheExorzist said:
Hoping for some sort of Hardcore-Mode like in New Vegas.

No fast travel, no level scaling, enemies that can demolish you if you step foot where you don't belong and maybe capped stats depending on your class.

I can only wish.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
kamspy said:
I kind have a sick feeling that Skyrim will be even more streamlined and "user friendly" than Oblivion was.
Somehow can't imagine that. Fallout 3, Beth's project after Oblivion, was a lot less user friendly that Oblivion. So I'd say Beth heard the players.

Just a few hours left. Can't wait. :)

Clevinger

xelios said:

From an interview a year or so ago with the lead developer:

We've been doing that with the big new game we're doing since we finished Fallout 3. We finished Fallout 3 about a year ago -- that whole time has been spent redoing large parts of our basic technology. And things that everybody points out in our games that are deficiencies, or aren't as good as they could be, are the same as we have -- that we want to address. And the big one being our animation system. So we feel we can do pretty good worlds, probably what we're best at. But when it comes to how characters actually act on the screen in front of you, we should be doing a lot better. That's been one of our main focuses.

I imagine voice acting would be included in what he's talking about. As far as scaling, though, it was overhauled in Fallout, but I don't know if it was completely fixed. I assume they'll continue to work on it.

ZeroRay said:
No fast travel, no level scaling, enemies that can demolish you if you step foot where you don't belong and maybe capped stats depending on your class.

I can only wish.
....so Daggerfall/Morrowind?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Seanspeed said:
You can do all that with Oblivion, too, though. I think its perfectly relevant to discuss the quality and diversity of the quests between the two games. It certainly does make a difference, even if its not the most important aspect of the games.

From everything I hear, Morrowind is supposed to be superior in this regard to Oblivion, but I'm definitely interested to hear anybody who feels this is a nostalgia-based belief rather than a more objective analysis.

Have you played Morrowind?

edit: very much already answered :lol

Speevy

Banned
Well, if you like Oblivion, please don't actually read this thread, because you'll ruin the experience for yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom