• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salaadin

Pai Pai Master said:
This game is way too human-heavy compared to the others. 10 hours in and I haven't met a single fellow Argonian. :(

Im 30 hours in and can probably count on one hand how many Argonians I have seen.

voltron said:
So can anyone help me out with this retarded problem.... how the fuck do I get my horse to stop WALKING THE FUCK AWAY!!!!!!??? (sorry its just annoying the piss outta me), whenever I get off it?.

Don't know, mine usually stays put but I would love to know how to tell him to not join in on my battles. No horse, I don't need your help fighting a dragon. In fact, I need you to not attack a motherfucking dragon because I don't have 1000 coins to spare right now.

xxczx

Started a new character. 40 hours with my previous guy but there's tons of things that I know now that I wish I knew when I started him.

Khajiit in the house!

erragal

Blizzard said:
Welp, time to cancel my preorder. :( Sounds like pure mages are pretty worthless.

I mean, I didn't preorder so I can't cancel, and I'm not going pure mage, but it does sound like the magic system is pretty horrible and terrible and worthless and horrible by the end of the game. Does anyone else have any magic feedback for late game with master spells and super perks?

I don't think it's worthless though. I think it's sloppy and specifically the destruction magic is really poorly done. It sure seems like they had different plans for offensive magic that got scrapped and they threw something together at the last minute. It's the least interesting tree by a huge margin.

The elimination of mana costs through enchants is one of those things that is going to break everything anyway; I'd have restricted mana cost reduction to robes and maybe rings then add damage/duration/effectiveness to necklaces/gloves while restricting the other damage enchants to necklaces/gloves and then create some measure of tuning (assuming no infinite loop exploiting)

You shouldn't be able to make everything cost zero, it just makes you look at your 9 perks spent on cost reduction (That don't contribute anything since they're applied before gear) and feel really bad about your character.

EDIT: I don't think magic is actually harder though; I can do things just fine on master difficulty. It's just less fun because there's no gradual improvement in your character all the way to the end of the game...you hit expert spells and your damage (Outside of a destruction potion one at a time) is capped.

ajf009

Salaadin said:
Im 30 hours in and can probably count on one hand how many Argonians I have seen.

I literally just ran into one, he didn't sound argonian AT ALL, he had a total human voice, no slither or anything. weak sauce

Einbroch

Banned
You guys know that you can make insanely powerful enchants and weapons that make perks not matter, right?

There's a way to be godly no matter your perks. Only "must" perk is Enchanting, a great perk is Alchemy, and everything else...it doesn't matter. So everyone who is "oh man I need to reroll" doesn't have to.

scy

Blizzard said:
Welp, time to cancel my preorder. :( Sounds like pure mages are pretty worthless.

I mean, I didn't preorder so I can't cancel, and I'm not going pure mage, but it does sound like the magic system is pretty horrible and terrible and worthless and horrible by the end of the game. Does anyone else have any magic feedback for late game with master spells and super perks?

Master Spells don't all of a sudden mean you'll never want your Expert spells. It means Impact is less useful on your final spells but ... it's not that big of a deal. I still use the lower tier spells. But it's not like there's other trees that have abilities that aren't super useful when you factor in Enchanting/Smithing/Alchemy. And, if you're not using that trio (or just using one of them), it's not like Melee/Archery take off to ridiculous heights. Magic isn't broken or worthless or terrible or anything of the sort. It could be better, yes, but it's not complete shit.

If you're looking to min/max the ever loving shit out of the game then, sure, I wouldn't go Magic. If you're looking to play the game, there's nothing wrong with it.

As for the cost reduction perks, they're not useless. You can still get some work out of them to reduce the amount of slots you'll dedicate to cost reduction Enchants. The problem is there's no other Spell enchants really :/ That's really the bigger problem than any issue with the spell system itself.

Ilive1up

still haven't got an answer to this question: does increasing the power of one-handed attacks (perk), also increase the power of bounded one-handed weapons?

when i use the bounded one-handed swords my one-handed attack increases, so it must, right?

erragal said:
I don't think it's worthless though. I think it's sloppy and specifically the destruction magic is really poorly done. It sure seems like they had different plans for offensive magic that got scrapped and they threw something together at the last minute. It's the least interesting tree by a huge margin.

The elimination of mana costs through enchants is one of those things that is going to break everything anyway; I'd have restricted mana cost reduction to robes and maybe rings then add damage/duration/effectiveness to necklaces/gloves while restricting the other damage enchants to necklaces/gloves and then create some measure of tuning (assuming no infinite loop exploiting)

You shouldn't be able to make everything cost zero, it just makes you look at your 9 perks spent on cost reduction (That don't contribute anything since they're applied before gear) and feel really bad about your character.

I don't see the problem here. Buy the perks and enchant items with different powers, for instance ones that make magicka stronger instead of costing zero.

Or use the perks elsewhere and enchant items with magicka cost reduction.

Also, getting magic to 100 takes a long fucking time from what I can tell.

EDIT: just realized you can only enchant things to reduce magicka cost, sorry. I too find this kinda confusing. It seems they were worried about overpowered magic but didn't have the same concerns about melee weapons and bows. Strange.

Ilive1up said:
still haven't got an answer to this question: does increasing the power of one-handed attacks (perk), also increase the power of bounded one-handed weapons?

when i use the bounded one-handed swords my one-handed attack increases, so it must, right?

yes

So does taking the Lexicon back to Avanchnzel (as part of the random quest from the deranged Argonian) mess with the related Mages Guild quest? Can I just use the console to spawn me a new version when it comes to that?

GhaleonEB

I'm spending today gearing up for and embarking on a few side missions/misc objectives. I found a great bow and dagger, ditched my old, and set out to find an enchanting station I'd found early in the game. Got them both enchanted now (nearly a 50% damage boost over my old gear). Can't wait to test them out tonight.

Question about the damage multiplication perks. When I land 3x damage from sneak, does that also multiply the enchantment damage (+12 fire damage in my new bow), or just the base damage?

The bow is +32 damage, with +12 fire on top. Am I getting [32 x 3], or [44 x 3] damage bonus? If it's the latter, I might carry two bows - one juiced to do huge fire damage, but which can only sustain a few shots between charges, and just use that as my first shot from sneak bow, switching to my current as the secondary.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I'm sure other people already knew this, but I just found that casting soul trap repeatedly on my follower, who doesn't become hostile because of it, is a great way to train conjuration at low levels. (I don't really use much magic anyway, so I don't have much chance to train it in the field.)

Is there by chance a console command to take screenshots? My only keyboard is a Mac wireless one that doesn't have the "Print Screen" button.

Blizzard

Banned
Einbroch said:
You guys know that you can make insanely powerful enchants and weapons that make perks not matter, right?

There's a way to be godly no matter your perks. Only "must" perk is Enchanting, a great perk is Alchemy, and everything else...it doesn't matter. So everyone who is "oh man I need to reroll" doesn't have to.
I think what we are all QQ'ing about is that perks, enchantments, and alchemy don't help destruction spell damage. as far as I know.
Fortunately my original plan was to be a frost mage archer, and I am now expanding to other spells since I realized that frost is the weakest ice option (and destruction is the weakest option in general apparently), but at least as long as I keep my archery options open I can still be broken, apparently. :p

ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
There were quite a few Argonians around Riften from what I recall.

Cool. I figured it'd get better soon. It fits the setting, of course there are going to be way more Nords than anything else. I'm just complaining about being a minority for once. :p

erragal

CrocMother said:
I don't see the problem here. Buy the perks and enchant items with different powers, for instance ones that make magicka stronger instead of costing zero.

Or use the perks elsewhere and enchant items with magicka cost reduction.

Also, getting magic to 100 takes a long fucking time from what I can tell.

yes

There are no other enchants for magic users, that's the problem. There are no options to progress; you just hit a wall. I doubt it will be hard to mod in though, considering the effect exists in game on potions. Like I was saying: it's more laziness/lack of effort than an impossible to fix problem.

You can't just reassign your perks and you don't want a system that has permanent choices that become worthless after a certain point. That's bad design.

ced

GhaleonEB said:
I'm spending today gearing up for and embarking on a few side missions/misc objectives. I found a great bow and dagger, ditched my old, and set out to find an enchanting station I'd found early in the game. Got them both enchanted now (nearly a 50% damage boost over my old gear). Can't wait to test them out tonight.

Question about the damage multiplication perks. When I land 3x damage from sneak, does that also multiply the enchantment damage (+12 fire damage in my new bow), or just the base damage?

The bow is +32 damage, with +12 fire on top. Am I getting [32 x 3], or [44 x 3] damage bonus? If it's the latter, I might carry two bows - one juiced to do huge fire damage, but which can only sustain a few shots between charges, and just use that as my first shot from sneak bow, switching to my current as the secondary.

I love the 3x sneak shot with my bows, I really love when it picks them up and throws them back 20 ft lol. I've yet to figure out the dmg stuff, I just know I need to get some armor enchanted with the 20% bonus to archery.

Einbroch

Banned
erragal said:
There are no other enchants for magic users, that's the problem. There are no options to progress; you just hit a wall. I doubt it will be hard to mod in though, considering the effect exists in game on potions. Like I was saying: it's more laziness/lack of effort than an impossible to fix problem.

You can't just reassign your perks and you don't want a system that has permanent choices that become worthless after a certain point. That's bad design.
I can almost guarantee that in the first or second DLC you'll have the opportunity to be "reborn" and reset all your perks and stats.

CrocMother said:
yes and you can make both of them harvest souls. you can also summon battle axes.

Please tell me you can summon daggers and that it works with the 15x damage modifier. I want to be a dual wielding magic dagger assassin. :D

Woorloog

Banned
Ha, Destruction/Conjuration Battlemage Dunmer wearing heavy armor is damn fun to play. Kill someone with spells, raise the body as zombie, summon a sword (or two) and start whacking people and burning them, all while you laugh at the enemies ineffectiveness against your heavy armor. Ancestor's Wrath is very good when you're surrounded, good synergy with heavy armor as you can stay next to the enemies pretty safely.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
lol I'm dual-wielding fireball and chain-lighting staffs traping souls in the process. It's like BFG with infinite ammo.

Blizzard said:
But like, take Oblivion. Bethesda sells their famous horse armor. What if a modder made horse armor? Did Bethesda not care?

They didn't care.

Games on consoles outsell PCs by a large margin these days and they don't have access to mods.

I wish all towns had carriages to travel with. I've started fast-travelling, but only to cities and villages. Not sure if I should count High Hrotghar has a village... :lol

Chairhome

ckohler said:
It's the Jarl's assistant. The bald-headed dude you bought your house from.
But what's the dialogue option I need to ask to get him to upgrade the house? I didn't see any new questions to ask him.

Forkball said:
I don't get enchantment. When I try to enchant armor it only hives me about a 1% boost. What am I doing wrong?
You need to level up your enchanting and use better souls. A greater soul will increase the percentage.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Edvardelis said:
They didn't care.

Games on consoles outsell PCs by a large margin these days and they don't have access to mods.

but Bethesda wants consoles to have access to mods. How do you explain this?!

“It works on all the consoles. As far as the 360 and PS3, right now there’s not an avenue for us to make that available,” the Skyrim director told Edge.

“But we’d very much like to find a way. We have talked to Microsoft and Sony, and so there’s a chance it might happen one day, [but] I don’t see it happening for release.”

Blizzard

Banned
Edvardelis said:
They didn't care.

Fair point. I'm glad they feel that way, and hopefully the mod tools come out soon then. So many games these days seem to either not support mapping/modding or actively discourage it.

ced

Alright here is another annoying thing I expected to be fixed this time.

If you are hidden and snipe someone in town (dark brotherhood has you doing this) around others, and still remain hidden, the guards will still attack you if you show back up not hidden without loading a different area.

Chairhome said:
But what's the dialogue option I need to ask to get him to upgrade the house? I didn't see any new questions to ask him.

You need to level up your enchanting and use better souls. A greater soul will increase the percentage.

You have to ask him during "business hours" (8-8).

Lanbeast

Have my order ready to go on Amazon, for 360. Should I pull the trigger or wait another week for a black friday deal?

I have Dark Souls and BF3 to keep me busy so it's not like I need it this second. Saving a few more dollars is more important. Opinions?

GhaleonEB

ced said:
I love the 3x sneak shot with my bows, I really love when it picks them up and throws them back 20 ft lol. I've yet to figure out the dmg stuff, I just know I need to get some armor enchanted with the 20% bonus to archery.
Yeah, I went through a quest last night - the one that starts with my snuffing out the lighthouse fire at Solitude - and cleared through the subsequent cave one-shotting everyone but the last two guys at the end. The fire damage adds a great effect to it. Guys will be standing there one moment and the next they're a flaming ball of fire hurled against the wall, or (better) over a cliff.

Bethesda really made archery fun this time around. The way arrows thunk into place, do some realy meaty damage, and whiz past our heads when taking return fire really add a lot to it. I'm having so much more fun with this sneaky archer than I did in Oblivion.

Blue Ninja said:
I wish all towns had carriages to travel with. I've started fast-travelling, but only to cities and villages. Not sure if I should count High Hrotghar has a village... :lol
I'm using the carriages to the major cities, then riding my horse to my destinations. I'm still enjoy riding around, finding new places and just soaking it all in betwen missions.

CrocMother said:
You have to ask him during "business hours" (8-8).

Haha, I went looking for him while he was sleeping. I woke his ass up and was worried because the option wasn't there. Of course in typical Bethesda fashion, the NPCs seem to not care you just woke them up for no reason. :lol

scy

DarthWoo said:
I'm sure other people already knew this, but I just found that casting soul trap repeatedly on my follower, who doesn't become hostile because of it, is a great way to train conjuration at low levels. (I don't really use much magic anyway, so I don't have much chance to train it in the field.)

Slaughterfish are great for this too. Piss off a bunch and then just cast things that need you to be in combat to get skill gains for.

Incendiary said:
Finished the College of Winterhold quest line. Damn, the last few dungeons were bruuuuutal. To those of you who finished all the College quests to the end, how in the world did you beat
Morokei
? He kept frying me in one or two hits, until on one try I got lucky and he glitched or something and just flew around the room without attacking me. My usual strategy of summoning an Atronarch or Daedra and then blasting the boss with fireballs while he was distracted didn't work either,because he kept turning them on me. :(

I used the trick someone on this board suggested. Damage him a bit, run away and "wait" to auto-save and regenerate, rinse repeat.

Hope that's the last time I have to do that though, felt wrong.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't know, but to me it makes sense that Lizard Men wouldn't want to hang out in Skyrim.

Derrick01

Banned
Man I just got 1 shotted by a draugr death overlord or whatever the hell he was called. He did one of my shouts and sent me flying across the room. I'm 37 by the way...

I managed to take him down but it resulted in gaming the AI. Stealth shot with a few arrows, run away, wait for him to investigate then "forget" me, then get two quick backstabs for 30x damage in.

If it was a fair fight though I would have been destroyed.

ced

GhaleonEB said:
Yeah, I went through a quest last night - the one that starts with my snuffing out the lighthouse fire at Solitude - and cleared through the subsequent cave one-shotting everyone but the last two guys at the end. The fire damage adds a great effect to it. Guys will be standing there one moment and the next they're a flaming ball of fire hurled against the wall, or (better) over a cliff.

Bethesda really made archery fun this time around. The way arrows thunk into place, do some realy meaty damage, and whiz past our heads when taking return fire really add a lot to it. I'm having so much more fun with this sneaky archer than I did in Oblivion.

Yeah they nailed it. I will complain that it is a bit wonky to try and hit a target while your moving or the target is, I never lead enough. Oh and the only other annoying thing is how much human enemies strafe the arrow shots, it makes it very difficult to be strictly bow.

GhaleonEB said:
I'm using the carriages to the major cities, then riding my horse to my destinations. I'm still enjoy riding around, finding new places and just soaking it all in betwen missions.
Me too, but sometimes I just want to finish a quest quickly without getting sidetracked fifteen times before getting there. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom