• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckohler

scy said:
Slaughterfish are great for this too. Piss off a bunch and then just cast things that need you to be in combat to get skill gains for.
Where can I find Slaughterfish? I haven't seen any yet. (level 16)

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
odin toelust said:
PC is also 10% of the market

not according to official Skyrim sales even without digital distribution.

The game broke records on Steam which means it's up to 1.5 (or even 2) million copies sold. With 3.5 million copies sold in first 48 hours it's not 10% lol.

scy

ckohler said:
Where can I find Slaughterfish? I haven't seen any yet. (level 16)

Anywhere there's water, really. Check the lake near the first city. You're bound to get a few nipping at your heels as you swim through it.

styl3s

So whats going on with the whole PS3 framerate problem? i read it can get unplayable and starts when your game save is around 4-6mb.

Do they plan on fixing it? or is it just going to end up another ps3 bethesda game that stays shitty in the long run, just wondering if i should just cut my losses and trade it in and get the 360 version.

subversus

anddo0

I hate glitched quests. I need to turn in Fragment: On Artaeum. I have it in my possession but can't turn it in. The quest marker keeps pointing me back to an empty chest.

AngryMoth

styl3s said:
So whats going on with the whole PS3 framerate problem? i read it can get unplayable and starts when your game save is around 4-6mb.

Do they plan on fixing it? or is it just going to end up another ps3 bethesda game that stays shitty in the long run, just wondering if i should just cut my losses and trade it in and get the 360 version.
I'm not sure what the cause is but the framerate has been a huge problem for me. It seems to get a lot worse when you use the wait feature. Whiterun runs fucking terribly.

Interfectum

I'm really enjoying going pure destruction / conjurer. Will I be running into trouble later on? I keep hearing mixed messages about magic in the late game.

scy

Interfectum said:
I'm really enjoying going pure destruction / conjurer. Will I be running into trouble later on? I keep hearing mixed messages about magic in the late game.

The problem is that they don't have late game tradeskill options like the other venues. Spells aren't bad by default, they just lack the cool end-game tradeskill toys besides making spells free. Assuming DLC or a mod comes along to fix it, Spells will be fine.

As it stands right now, they're serviceable for the normal late game stuff, they just don't have broken tradeskill combinations.

subversus

Interfectum said:

I'm level 26 and kicking ass. Get 2 good staffs and use them on powerful enemies when you're out mana. Don't forget filling soul gems.

Ferrio

Banned
So what is the lore behind giants being able to catapult bodies into the air? Seems like a really big bug to have missed... so it must be official lore.

scy said:
The problem is that they don't have late game tradeskill options like the other venues. Spells aren't bad by default, they just lack the cool end-game tradeskill toys besides making spells free. Assuming DLC or a mod comes along to fix it, Spells will be fine.

As it stands right now, they're serviceable for the normal late game stuff, they just don't have broken tradeskill combinations.

Pardon my ignorance but I'm not sure I understand what you mean. What is an example of a tradeskill, and a tradeskill toy/option?

pringles

Sort of regretting that I advanced the main quest so that dragons appear.

Was 1 second away from talking to a guy to finish a quest when a dragon appeared and in the mayhem he died. "Quest failed".

Was right outside a town.

Imo dragons should come that close to towns..

erragal

Interfectum said:

No trouble actually completing things. Conjuration especially doesn't suffer from the master spells being two handed with long cast times since you want to pre-cast them anyhow. The issue isn't whether you can use it to complete the game it's just really jerky 'stair-like' progression and a sudden wall where you can't improve any more and even if the enemies get stronger you will not.

Khezu

Ferrio said:
So what is the lore behind giants being able to catapult bodies into the air? Seems like a really big bug to have missed... so it must be official lore.

Bethesda has gone on record saying they leave in bugs that are funny.

Anyway, is it true one handed does nothing for daggers? If that's the case could I use a sword in one hand and a dagger in the offhand and get the 15x bonus if I use the offhand to stab fools? Also is smithing still helpful if I don't spec into it? I don't want any of the speced armors.

The thief character I want to make is so hard right now, so many perks I want to get.

scy said:

what this post poorly relates is that magic does not scale at higher levels. whereas weapons start to benefit from high-level alchemy/smithing/enchanting perks that send their damage output into the stratosphere, magic-users basically benefit from being able to spam spells with little to no actual magicka use because of crazy high regen rates and magicka cost reduction.

subversus

styl3s said:
goddamnit why does ps3 always get shafted by bethesda.. FO3 and NV had this same damn problem i should of just went with the 360 version.

hopefully they get this patched out cause im sure i will hit they unplayable mark soon because im already 20+ hours in

I had Fallout 3 on PS3 and didn't have this problem.

Firebrand

Critical hits, does anyone know the effect of these? Are they the reason why enemies can sometimes do very little damage and suddenly kill me in one hit with a nice little closeup animation?

Also, I'm not getting the Rested effect anymore, presumably due to picking up the Lover's Stone buff.

scy

xtrasauce said:
Pardon my ignorance but I'm not sure I understand what you mean. What is an example of a tradeskill, and a tradeskill toy/option?

Smithing, Enchanting, and Alchemy are the three tradeskills. The fun things you can do with them for, say, Melee Weapons or Bows is you can directly influence the amount of damage you'll be dealing. For spells, you'll reduce their spell cost. Which, while nice, just doesn't have quite the same impact as stupid amounts of damage.

Rabbitwork said:
what this post poorly relates is that magic does not scale at higher levels. whereas weapons start to benefit from high-level alchemy/smithing/enchanting perks that send their damage output into the stratosphere, magic-users basically benefit from being able to spam spells with little to no actual magicka use because of crazy high regen rates and magicka cost reduction.

Isn't that what I said? Weapons get things from the tradeskills that Spells just do not. It isn't that spells themselves are bad or anything of the sort (they're for the most part better than weapons), they just lack any form of tangible upgrading. Which, ideally, we'll see in a mod or DLC or patch or something.

Or nothing, and then we can rage together at it being completely stupid :/

OG Kush

Blue Ninja said:
Me too, but sometimes I just want to finish a quest quickly without getting sidetracked fifteen times before getting there. :lol
Damn this is so hard not to do. When Im travelling and a it shows a new place on my compass I have to check it out just to atleast add it to my map so i can come back to it later. But this results in me taking 2 hours just to get to the place I actually needed to go to!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Haha, as I entered Red Eagle Ascent, one of the bandits noticed my AI companion and was making her way over to our location to investigate. As she neared, just before I killed her, she triggered one of their traps and inadvertently killed a fellow bandit who happened to be following close behind. Awesome.

Dakota47

CHEEZMO™ said:
What do you do with firewood?

From the Skyrim wiki:

Firewood is an item in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Wood Chopping Blocks can be found in many cities,settlements and occasionally camps throughout Skyrim and allow the player to chop firewood. Firewood can be sold to a number of NPCs for gold coin and is an excellent way of making gold early in the game. Firewood also is the primary upgrading resource at Grindstones for some weapons (i.e. common bows).

AEREC

birdcity said:
Got the game at noon on Friday and have sunk a shameful 46 hours in already. :O

Ditto...Im almost ashamed of it and wish steam did not record my hours =p

But I really cant stop playing this game.

HTuran

Khezu said:

Anyway, is it true one handed does nothing for daggers? If that's the case could I use a sword in one hand and a dagger in the offhand and get the 15x bonus if I use the offhand to stab fools? Also is smithing still helpful if I don't spec into it? I don't want any of the speced armors.

The thief character I want to make is so hard right now, so many perks I want to get.
Hm, I'm in the mid-30s with my Thief and have 11 perks to spend. Pickpocket, Lockpick and Speech are pretty pointless to invest in, as money isn't an issue. Probably going to go all out on Enchantment and Smithing to get a Legendary Glass Bow and Dagger.

And yes, one-handed enchantments don't affect daggers, AFAIK. Sucks, but then even 15x is overpowered, let alone 30x.

Dresden

Finished the College of Winterhold questline and was pretty underwhelmed by the entire thing. Also what loot you get isn't very appealing when you consider how much more powerful reduce-magicka-cost enchants are.

Kyaw

Lydia fucking sucks, i just wasted a lot of my time reloading an old save because she fucking died... there needs to be a point when no damage is done to her when she yields...

Other than that, random dragon appears out of nowhere while i was taking screenshots outside of Solitude!

styl3s

subversus said:
I had Fallout 3 on PS3 and didn't have this problem.
You must of had some magical problem because FO3 was infested this and numerous other problems, they might of fixed them before you played it but it was terrible when it launched.

50 hours in and only completed 4 main quests, near the end of dark brotherhood quests and haven't started any of the other guilds yet... fuck.

Level 41 and things are really starting to slow down. Then again, I do have a lot of quests left... But all my main skills have almost peaked.

Kyaw said:
Lydia fucking sucks, i just wasted a lot of my time reloading an old save because she fucking died... there needs to be a point when no damage is done to her when she yields...

Other than that, random dragon appears out of nowhere while i was taking screenshots outside of Solitude!
beron from morthal was pretty good for the short time i used him. was taking out fools left and right with his bow.

Game's running like crap on my machine despite my having specs that well clear the recommended system requirements (2GB quad core processor, 8 GB ram, 2 GB graphics card). I'm up to date on drivers. Anyone know what I can do to boost performance?

BeeDog

I'm currently doing the sidequest where you're supposed to save the guy from the Northwatch camp. Is the non-violent way to join the Imperial Legion, or will I have to slaughter everyone there?

Dresden

Khezu said:

Any One Handed perk that doesn't specify the usage of swords, axes, or maces work for daggers.

GhaleonEB

JaseC said:
Haha, as I entered Red Eagle Ascent, one of the bandits noticed my AI companion and was making her way over to our location to investigate. As she neared, just before I killed her, she triggered one of their traps and inadvertently killed a fellow bandit who happened to be following close behind. Awesome.
Last night during a Thieves Guild quest, my companion (who comes along no matter what, it's part of the story) noted that the person we're looking for re-set all the traps on her way through. He told me to pull a chain to open a door, but "watch out for the spikes".

I pulled the chain, backed up, and a spike wall sprung, swung around and nailed him in the face, knocking him across the room. I giggled.

Thieves Guild has some nice story developing in it, I really didn't expect what happened at the end of the cave.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Amibguous Cad said:
Game's running like crap on my machine despite my having specs that well clear the recommended system requirements (2GB quad core processor, 8 GB ram, 2 GB graphics card). I'm up to date on drivers. Anyone know what I can do to boost performance?

There's a thread for that.

GhaleonEB said:
Last night during a Thieves Guild quest, my companion (who comes along no matter what, it's part of the story) noted that the person we're looking for re-set all the traps on her way through. He told me to pull a chain to open a door, but "watch out for the spikes".

I pulled the chain, backed up, and a spike wall sprung, swung around and nailed him in the face, knocking him across the room. I giggled.

Thieves Guild has some nice story developing in it, I really didn't expect what happened at the end of the cave.

Haha. AI companions are handy if not entertaining in their own useless sort of way.

anddo0

Dresden said:
Finished the College of Winterhold questline and was pretty underwhelmed by the entire thing. Also what loot you get isn't very appealing when you consider how much more powerful reduce-magicka-cost enchants are.

Did you complete "Find the copy of Fragment: On Artaeum"?

I have the book, but the game won't let me turn it in.

Lakitu

st5fu
Lydia is starting to get on my nerves.

We exited a cave, and she says 'oh look, a cave! wonder what's inside?' -- we just went in there dummy.

Then there's walking with her outside, she gets lost so easily. If I'm navigating mountains or taking shortcuts, she's nowhere to be found so I have to end up reloading.

Philthy

Kyaw said:
Lydia fucking sucks, i just wasted a lot of my time reloading an old save because she fucking died...

I don't bother, they are more of a headache than helpful. I left her corpse at the bottom of a dungeon. Between the poor pathing, using bows at close range instead of a sword, standing behind pillars, having to kite enemies over to them for them to basically do anything..

One of the few terrible things about Skyrim. Pets and helpers just blow ass unless you're willing to deal with the quirks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom