• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but I just got Skyrim and there's a little issue when I create my character. The warpaint doesn't change when I move the slider, and instead always just covers the entire face and head with one color, which the head color changes when I change the warpaint color. Also, the other color options (nose, cheek, neck, etc.) also either change the color of the entire head or do nothing at all. Even sliding the "Laugh lines" slider changes the color of the head sometimes. Sorry if this isn't the right thread to ask this, but any help would be appreciated.

I don't see what's wrong with asking it here though letting people know the platform you're on (and perhaps the race you're playing may help).

sure, but you have to make both of the sides do a truce.

Awe geeze! Man I hate Ulfric and anything related to him in the game; he's like a blite. It figures that his would be the only Thane-dom that requires me to start the main quest I've become Thane of every hold except for Windhelm and Whiterun. I'm fine with Whiterun
because fighting the dragon at the watchtower is the trigger for the main quest
. I've managed to play for 200+ hours without triggering this but because of Ulfric, I might have to do so just so I can get a title and a home in his crappy racist-filled city. Since I plan on killing him eventually (I don't negotiate with racists :-| ), it looks like like I may not complete my Thane-everything plan until my end-game :( Ugh....

Can't you also just finish the Imperial questline?

Yes but I was hoping that I could become thane in all the Holds without picking sides to make my life with both camps a little easier untill I finally pull the trigger, To be quite honest, I'm plesently supprised at how far this game lets you go without begining the main quest. It's the exceptions (like this one) that gets me.

McNum

Played the game a little too long into the night yesterday. I think that means I like it.

I'm playing a One Handed with Shield character, except the weapon is a Bound Sword. For style, mostly, pulling out a sword from nowhere is just plain cool.

I think I've played the main quest a bit, I've met some
monks who taught me to say "Fus Ro". I'm fairly sure I can guess the last syllable.
Not quite sure what to do next, though, which means it's time to poke around and see what I can do off the rails. Anything good for a level 9-10 to poke at? Groups to join? More bandit holds to clear? I'm thinking some martial and magical guilds/groups would be useful.

I want to buy a house somewhere. I liked having a home base in Fallout, and I want one here. To drop off the stuff that might be useful later, but I don't need to carry all the time. Like different armors and such. I'm a Thane in Whiterun, so who do I speak to for a house there? And what does it cost?

I also stuck my nose in the Steam Achievements... Marriage? Is that plot related, or should I just keep poking around and see what's going to happen?

Also, what happens when you tell a companion to part ways? I have
Lydia
tagging along, and she's useful and all, but she also slows me down when exploring. If I get on a horse, she just gets left behind, same if I go off the path and climb hills and rocks. Amusingly, I think she's fallen into the river a few times. Do I need to keep companions supplied with arrows and better weapons, by the way?

M.D

I'm currently at the part where I need to negotiate a peace treaty. I have not joined a side.
Would I be able to join a side later on? Is the quest line of Civil War interesting?

Volimar

I'm currently at the part where I need to negotiate a peace treaty. I have not joined a side.
Would I be able to join a side later on? Is the quest line of Civil War interesting?

Yes

To be honest, it's pretty forgettable. The end is only slightly satisfying and very little changes as a result of the quest ending...

M.D

Yes

To be honest, it's pretty forgettable. The end is only slightly satisfying and very little changes as a result of the quest ending...

I'll probably do it sometime...

Is there good loot in Skuldafn? I only have 314/440 capacity right now.. I took the bones off that first dragon, but I could easily throw them away (I have tons and do nothing with them). I won't have much space regardless :( I hate this aspect of the game.

I finally got around to finishing the civil war quest line, and man what a let down.

It's bascially
attack fort after fort, and once we took Solitude (being a Redguard I loved fighting Imperials, and me being a high level they all died in one power hit with Wuuthrad), the Stormcloaks were basically like: "Ok thanks, see ya!"

Ulfric's last speech was pretty cool though.

It kinda felt like that after the main quest too.
Once I got back from Sovngarde it was back to business as usual.
Not even a nice little cinematic or epic reward like in Oblivion,
unless you count the Call Dragon shout

I'll probably do it sometime...

Is there good loot in Skuldafn? I only have 314/440 capacity right now.. I took the bones off that first dragon, but I could easily throw them away (I have tons and do nothing with them). I won't have much space regardless :( I hate this aspect of the game.

Time to buy a home friend... or at least find a nice barrel in a guild you belong to. Don't risk putting it in any old barrel though... only the best :D

If you are a loot hore (and I know you are) then find or enchant at least one ring, one neckless and shoes with carry enchantments. Since they stack, and aren't heavy, you can equip them as needed... it's much more handy, reusable and reliable then foritfy carry weight potions. Also go with the rule of ten when deciding what to pick up after a hard day of kill'in: Never pick up something that doesn't have at least 10 gold per 1 weight. And if that doesn't work, store all your stuff at the end chest (there's always an end chest!) and strip down to your enchanteds to get the least amount of back and forth fast-travel trips between your chest and your barrel (though it's pretty shameful if you have to do this and you should probably find help). Get Dawngard and take Serana with you... she's the one pack horse that'll never die on you <3

Its crazy they don't have a pack-donkey-tank in this series by now!

One thing that has always bugged me about Skyrim is carry weight. Why, as a female nord archer, am I able to carry over 300lbs of items? It just seems so counter-intuitive and immersion breaking. It seems to reinforce the "loot everything and everyone" idea. I find myself setting false limits, ~200lbs or so, so I'm not carrying stupid amounts of items. Do any other races have smaller carry limits, or am I just crazy for being concerned about this at all?

I always seem to be over-encumbered. It doesn't help that I always seem to have loads of heavy quest items that I can't drop, and all those dragon bones and scales that I pick up just getting from A to B, and all the books, potions and ingredients I keep forgetting I have. I actually wish there was some sort of visual representation for all the crap you carry, like the Fellowship in LOTR, with all their packs, cooking equipment and strapped on weapons and shields. Maybe even having to manage a packhorse would be cool.

I hope Beth does some sort of mini-patch or update that reworks inventory somewhat. It's never been a huge deal-breaker for me with the game, but some sort of tweaking would be welcome.

DanielJr82

Fucking Dawnguard expansion. I really don't want to plow through that whole faction quest right now with my new build, but these fucking random vampire attacks are killing off valuable NPCs; store owners and shit. This totally blows, who's bright idea was this? I'm going to need quest related items I won't get until late in the main story quest as well... ARRRGGGHHH! I think I might just uninstall it.

I want to buy a house somewhere. I liked having a home base in Fallout, and I want one here. To drop off the stuff that might be useful later, but I don't need to carry all the time. Like different armors and such. I'm a Thane in Whiterun, so who do I speak to for a house there? And what does it cost?
Talk to the Jarl about purchasing a house; they'll give you "Breezehome." It's a humble little house, but very useful and also the cheapest house in the game.

I also stuck my nose in the Steam Achievements... Marriage? Is that plot related, or should I just keep poking around and see what's going to happen?
Visit the Temple of Mara in Riften for the lowdown.

Also, what happens when you tell a companion to part ways? I have
Lydia
tagging along, and she's useful and all, but she also slows me down when exploring. If I get on a horse, she just gets left behind, same if I go off the path and climb hills and rocks. Amusingly, I think she's fallen into the river a few times. Do I need to keep companions supplied with arrows and better weapons, by the way?
If it's a housecarl like Lydia they'll typically either go back to the Jarl's hold or back to your home if you have one. If they're a mercenary or a side-quest related character, wherever they tell you or wherever you first found them. You can get them to follow you later, they're not gone for good when you dismiss them.

Fucking Dawnguard expansion. I really don't want to plow through that whole faction quest right now with my new build, but these fucking random vampire attacks are killing off valuable NPCs; store owners and shit. This totally blows, who's bright idea was this? I'm going to need quest related items I won't get until late in the main story quest as well... ARRRGGGHHH! I think I might just uninstall it.
I really hope they patch this before the PC version comes along and I buy the expansion.

I love that aspect of it. Coming out of fast tavel and using my legendary dwarven cross while zooming into slow motion make for some blood pumping moments :D The Vampires killed only one NPC in about 40 hours of gameplay and who the hell knows who she was... will not / is not missed :|

They go away after you complete the questline though so take it as encouragement. I think you'll want
Serana
with you for most of your quests so complete dawnguard as early as possible.

Woorloog

Banned
I always seem to be over-encumbered. It doesn't help that I always seem to have loads of heavy quest items that I can't drop, and all those dragon bones and scales that I pick up just getting from A to B, and all the books, potions and ingredients I keep forgetting I have. I actually wish there was some sort of visual representation for all the crap you carry, like the Fellowship in LOTR, with all their packs, cooking equipment and strapped on weapons and shields. Maybe even having to manage a packhorse would be cool.

Quest items have actually zero weight, as long as they're still quest items. So don't worry about those.
Potions and scrolls add up to a lot after sometime, you want wanna store some of them. Or use them a lot more. So do ingredients, unless you actively make potions, don't pick up all the ingredients, just the most rare and valuable ones. And in general, training Alchemy is easier by buying some basic ingredients that can be used to make valuable potions (more value=more skill xp), you can sell the potions afterwards and make profit...
Dragon bones and scales are the worst, sell them or store them ASAP.

Also, when looting stuff, concentrate on stuff that is actually valuable, ie has high value-to-weight ratio: jewelery, enchanted items, scrolls, potions, gems. Don't loot all the armor and weapons. For example, Dwarven and elven weapons actually are not that valuable (in general, it seems that Glass weapons and better have considerably better value:weight ratio). For armor, Light Armor seems to have better value:weight ratio, with Daedric and Dragonbone armor being exceptions.

Note: I just skimmed armor and weapon tables so these suggestion might not be that accurate.

Woorloog

Banned
Really? I could swear the elder scroll item had a weight of 20 of something. Is it just a fake number?
The Elder Scrolls are always quest items so despite the weight shown, so they're weightless. Don't know why they have weight in the first place.
Some quest items become normal items after quests and thus the weight matters.

Gotta say Oblivion handled this better, in it any item that was a quest item actually had zero weight shown until the quest was done (and if the script properly removed the quest item tag...). No confusion there.

deadbass

Banned
Does anyone happen to have the three Sounds of Skyrim mods? It looks like the author removed them from Steam Workshop and Skyrimnexus.

DanielJr82

I love that aspect of it. Coming out of fast tavel and using my legendary dwarven cross while zooming into slow motion make for some blood pumping moments :D The Vampires killed only one NPC in about 40 hours of gameplay and who the hell knows who she was... will not / is not missed :|

They go away after you complete the questline though so take it as encouragement. I think you'll want
Serana
with you for most of your quests so complete dawnguard as early as possible.
I already did the quest with my first warrior build just a couple of weeks ago. It was a good quest, but it's simply too soon right now with my new thief build to delve into that. It's an epic 20 hours of the same stuff I did already not long ago! All the while they're killing off my shop owners (the dude from Warmaiden's). Who's next? His wife? Niranye in Windhelm? Screw that! I invested in these people and they're killing them off.

Seanspeed

Banned
Inventory is the only reason I could never play 'ZERO fast travel'. Sometimes I just need to offload a bunch of stuff that I got unexpectedly(especially the dragon bones/scales) and thats its. I could walk all the way back, but there's a good chance I'll be loaded with more stuff by the time I get back to where I was heading. I suppose I could just ignore loot, but thats just not in my ability.

So when I'm wanting to get somewhere, I'll usually walk there but I wont think twice about fast traveling back to town real quick to unload some stuff. Then I'll fast travel to the closest location to where I was at before.

ACE 1991

Posting here so more people see this message, if that's okay. So how do I enable triple-buffering and ENB? D3d overrider causes ENB to crash skyrim to desktop. Also, what are the biggest ENB performance hogs? Thanks!

Fireblend

Banned
Hey guys, new Steam summer sale player here. So I've been having fun with mods and all, but now that I'd like to get into the game I'm not sure of what to do. How do I level up exactly? I was instructed to find the greybeards and everytime I try to reach their mountain peak some kind of troll kills me with a couple of hits, making me guess I'm underleveled... but then I'm not sure of how to level up!

I found a cave and got pretty much insta-killed by what was inside... is there a beginners guide on quests I can take early on that will help me be adequately leveled? Any sort of recommended quest order, or things to do? I get that it's an open world game, but I don't feel like leveling up by killing rabbits and wolves in the overworld when I could be taking on beginner quests or something.

Inventory is the only reason I could never play 'ZERO fast travel'. Sometimes I just need to offload a bunch of stuff that I got unexpectedly(especially the dragon bones/scales) and thats its. I could walk all the way back, but there's a good chance I'll be loaded with more stuff by the time I get back to where I was heading. I suppose I could just ignore loot, but thats just not in my ability.

So when I'm wanting to get somewhere, I'll usually walk there but I wont think twice about fast traveling back to town real quick to unload some stuff. Then I'll fast travel to the closest location to where I was at before.

Get a mount mod that allows your horse to have some storage for you.

Did the Hircine Daedric quest. Finding the
Legendary Beast, killing it, and hearing its ghost/Hircine talking to you
was really neat. Reminded me of that point in the old Hero's Quest game where the Dryad talks to you. The quest itself was great too.

Only problem I had was with the outcome(s). I didn't necessarily want to
kill the guy/werewolf
, rather I wanted to let him stay in the grotto. But that armor was too good to pass up.

edit: now UESP is telling me I could have gotten both items!

So I bought the game off of the Steam Summer sale and have been having fun with it. I am having two issues though, that I was wondering if anybody could help with.

The first is that there is some weird lighting effects going on. When I look at the sky or something in the shade the lighting changes really quick, like a "strobe" effect almost. I figure it is meant to be a feature (eyes adjusting, for example), but I find it extremely distracting. After a bit of research, I found recommendations to add this to Skyrim.ini:

fSunShadowUpdateTime=0
fSunUpdateThreshold=2.0

I added that last night, and it seemed to fix it at the time. However, I booted up the game again today, and it seems to be doing it again. I've gone back into Skyrim.ini, and that's still set there. Any ideas why it would be doing this again, or any thoughts on how to fix it?

The other issue is that when I have AA turned to 8, I get these weird lines surrounding certain things in the world. Like my hands when I have a spell, for example. This only started happening yesterday as well, after I had already played about 5 hours of the game. It goes away if I turn AA down to 4, but the game looks worse that way. Any suggestions?

My specs:

Windows 7, 64 bit
Core i5-2500k, no overclock
GTX 460 - 301.42 NVIDIA drivers

EDIT: Okay, so it looks like the light changing effect is just part of the HDR effects for the game...totally overdone, if you ask me, and very distracting. Trying to find a way to turn it off, but not having much luck from the searching I've done so far.

EDIT #2: Found this mod which turns of HDR:

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/7081

The lighting in general doesn't look as good, but at least it tones down the pupil dilation thing, which was giving me a headache.

McNum

Okay, I think I might need a little quest advice.

I'm on the
Civil War
quest, and I have one question: Does winning it for either side lead to anything good or bad later? I kind of want to just
take over Skyrim for the Empire
and be done with it.
Dragons are back and they spend their time making political power plays and civil war?
No. The Dragonborn wishes to object. It would be a shame if he had to... raise his voice to do so. The next quest in that line is a sneaking mission. I suck at Stealth, and my weapon glows in the dark. Is there a way to cheat at Stealth? Like invisibility or something?

Had a Thief demand gold or my life. I objected most loudly at that. In three words.
"Fus Ro DAH!"
That, by the way, should have been an intimidation option. "[Intimidate] Don't make me raise my Voice."

I'm having a little to much fun doing that.

Also found out I can cast two spells at the same time. That's useful. Obvious in hindsight, a spell is one-handed.

Okay, I think I might need a little quest advice.

I'm on the
Civil War
quest, and I have one question: Does winning it for either side lead to anything good or bad later? I kind of want to just
take over Skyrim for the Empire
and be done with it.
Dragons are back and they spend their time making political power plays and civil war?
No. The Dragonborn wishes to object. It would be a shame if he had to... raise his voice to do so. The next quest in that line is a sneaking mission. I suck at Stealth, and my weapon glows in the dark. Is there a way to cheat at Stealth? Like invisibility or something?

Had a Thief demand gold or my life. I objected most loudly at that. In three words.
"Fus Ro DAH!"
That, by the way, should have been an intimidation option. "[Intimidate] Don't make me raise my Voice."

I'm having a little to much fun doing that.

Also found out I can cast two spells at the same time. That's useful. Obvious in hindsight, a spell is one-handed.

Well if your fine with the bagage of siding with a racist... >_>

Did anyone kill
Thonar Silver-Blood
after
breaking out of prison
? I killed him and then killed that
Foresworn King guy
as well just before him. Does killing both of these characters after their "payout" cut you off from any futre quests?

I killed
Thonar
because I remembered him calling me an animal and I snapped
lol... because I thought he new my warewolf secret!

McNum

Well if your fine with the bagage of siding with a racist... >_>
The Empire is the racist one? I haven't seen anything like that yet. The Stormcloacks, though, don't really like Dark Elves.

Also, is there any rhyme or reason to getting
ambushed by dragons
? They just seem to show up at random, sometimes attacking, sometimes not. Granted, they drop nice loot, but it's getting me a bit paranoid. Walking around and then suddenly... a fight to the death!

How do you get a personal horse, by the way? Can you fast travel with it?

DanielJr82

I shall purchase me a horse, then. I've been running everywhere. Or taking the carriage, when I remember it exists.
You can get a horse for free if you have persuasion high enough. Go to Riften's bar and inn, talk to a Letrush guy standing in a corner.
He will start a quest about stealing a horse, Frost, belonging to the Black-Briars. You can blackmail him at the end into giving you the horse.

McNum

LOL... or find one that looks strangly similar to your avatar in the game ;)
Such a mod does exist, but "clashing artstyles" doesn't even begin to cover it. "Unholy abomination against both", probably does. The mod that replaces "Fus Ro DAH!" with a soft spoken "yay!" is tempting, though... For a laugh, at least.

Unless you mean to say a navy blue horse with a starry sky for mane and tail exists in the game without any mods. If so, I must know where and how to find it.

Unless you mean to say a navy blue horse with a starry sky for mane and tail exists in the game without any mods. If so, I must know where and how to find it.

Well it's not as sexy as a pony but it's pretty awesome and convenient.
It's part of the Dongguard expansion when you travel to the Soul Cairn. You can pick up a mission to find a blue skeleton ghost horse you can summon at will.
I've ridden out of the strangest mountain locations on that thing :/

SOOOOO....
Just found out I contacted vampirism a few minutes ago... this is over 200 hours AFTER I became a warewolf and yes, I still have 100% disease resistence from my beast blood and Beast Form. It seems I have "Vampire Servent" under powers as well. How do I cure this? Will it affect my Dongguard standing? Can I be a vampire lord and a warewolf? Since im part of the Dongguard, do I need to Join the Silver Hands to balance out my Karma?
How is this possible??

Morokh

Hey guys, new Steam summer sale player here. So I've been having fun with mods and all, but now that I'd like to get into the game I'm not sure of what to do. How do I level up exactly? I was instructed to find the greybeards and everytime I try to reach their mountain peak some kind of troll kills me with a couple of hits, making me guess I'm underleveled... but then I'm not sure of how to level up!

I found a cave and got pretty much insta-killed by what was inside... is there a beginners guide on quests I can take early on that will help me be adequately leveled? Any sort of recommended quest order, or things to do? I get that it's an open world game, but I don't feel like leveling up by killing rabbits and wolves in the overworld when I could be taking on beginner quests or something.

First : Don't play your first play-through with mods (or keep them cosmetic/UI only) if you don't know anything of how the game works in the first place it might just confuse you.

Leveling is done by increasing your skills, and an increase of skills happens when you use them several times, you basically get better at what you do.
Destruction increases if you cast spells, the one handed skill if you use one handed weapons and so on.
Don't spread yourself too much, stick with 3-4 skills you'll use the most (both offensive and defensive)

At the beginning of the game, try to get the best armor you can find (being light or heavy for the type of character you play) and same for weapons, upgrade them at the forge even if you don't plan on using Smithing.
Don't forget health potions / mana potions or any kind of magic scroll that you can find, everything helps at the beginning.

You should be able to handle pretty much every mob you encounter as long as you are not outnumbered and don't go all-in since everything is based on your level.
You may rarely encounter stronger foes (Bears / trolls / Sabre cats) that seem way too powerful for your level, veteran players may be able to deal with them, but if you can't, don't be afraid to run away, run past them, or lure them next to guards that will help you.
( well running away from a Sabre cat might not really work but ...)

Still having a hard time ? Use a follower, at this point you are Thane of Whiterun and have a character named Lydia at your disposal as a personal bodyguard.
They sometimes are a pain when they stand in your way but they're very helpful in combat.

Hope that helps

Top Bottom