• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

DanielJr82

SOOOOO....
Just found out I contacted vampirism a few minutes ago... this is over 200 hours AFTER I became a warewolf and yes, I still have 100% disease resistence from my beast blood and Beast Form. It seems I have "Vampire Servent" under powers as well. How do I cure this? Will it affect my Dongguard standing? Can I be a vampire lord and a warewolf? Since im part of the Dongguard, do I need to Join the Silver Hands to balance out my Karma?
How is this possible??
Is Serana with you? It's a bug if you have her as a follower. You'll get the stupid disease even if you're 100% immune to all diseases. I noticed it happened to me a lot when I had her following, once I dismissed her the problem went away. I've been clean ever since. Serana's fun, but let's not get crazy. The bitch is dirty, I'm telling you.

Is Serana with you? It's a bug if you have her as a follower. You'll get the stupid disease even if you're 100% immune to all diseases. I noticed it happened to me a lot when I had her following, once I dismissed her the problem went away. I've been clean ever since. Serana's fun, but let's not get crazy. The bitch is dirty, I'm telling you.

She is but if I dismiss her then who will be with me everytime I walk into an open cavern in a cave somewhere? WHO?!

Sid

Man the melee combat in this game is terrible compared to dark/demon's souls which is the only other console rpg i play,here the combat animations and feedback are very subpar, and the amount of dialogue is just staggering,wish it was more to the point for those who'd like to stay in the story without so much text,these are the only 2 things keeping me away from playing this game and i wish they improve upon them in elder scrolls 6

Jrmint

So I picked this up from the summer sale and this'll be my first time playing an ES game on the computer. I usually play it on console.

Question is, is it best to play Mouse/Keyboard or should I get a game pad?

Loginius

So I picked this up from the summer sale and this'll be my first time playing an ES game on the computer. I usually play it on console.

Question is, is it best to play Mouse/Keyboard or should I get a game pad?
Both work flawless, but get the skiUI mod either way .
Improves the UI so much.

McNum

Do Shouts attract dragons?

It may just be coincidence, but a few times when I had been just exploring, I let out a Fus Ro Dah, just for the hell of it. Or to send a bear flying. That will never get old. Anyway, on more than one occasion, a shout is immediately followed by an angry dragon. Latest was in the Winterhold College as I did a Clear Skies shout in the courtyard. The snow stopped... and a Blood Dragon decided to attack.

Also, the unsung heroes of the game has to be the Courier NPCs. Come hail, sleet, snow, dragons, war, nothing, and I mean nothing will stop the mail from getting through. I even had one come running in the middle of a dragon attack with an inheritance from one of the NPCs who sadly got caught in the crossfire a few minutes ago.

Do Shouts attract dragons?

It may just be coincidence, but a few times when I had been just exploring, I let out a Fus Ro Dah, just for the hell of it. Or to send a bear flying. That will never get old. Anyway, on more than one occasion, a shout is immediately followed by an angry dragon. Latest was in the Winterhold College as I did a Clear Skies shout in the courtyard. The snow stopped... and a Blood Dragon decided to attack.

They say two dragons fighting is a verbal debate so maybe you were saying "Come at me bro" or something to that effect :/

Also, the unsung heroes of the game has to be the Courier NPCs. Come hail, sleet, snow, dragons, war, nothing, and I mean nothing will stop the mail from getting through. I even had one come running in the middle of a dragon attack with an inheritance from one of the NPCs who sadly got caught in the crossfire a few minutes ago.

I'm not a fan of that guy one bit. If I can't kill an NPC, they better be baring awesome dialog and not just mail!

Man the melee combat in this game is terrible compared to dark/demon's souls which is the only other console rpg i play,here the combat animations and feedback are very subpar, and the amount of dialogue is just staggering,wish it was more to the point for those who'd like to stay in the story without so much text,these are the only 2 things keeping me away from playing this game and i wish they improve upon them in elder scrolls 6

While I do which Bethesda would improve on the malee mechanic in the game, if they decide to turn up that dial then I want them to make more options to avoid combat because while a deep combat system is great, it will ware on you in a 300 hour game. I'm fine with it as it is now because it's so simple and brainless to the point I can bitch-slap anyone with a war axe and get back to my story :)

ag-my001

Hey guys, new Steam summer sale player here. So I've been having fun with mods and all, but now that I'd like to get into the game I'm not sure of what to do. How do I level up exactly? I was instructed to find the greybeards and everytime I try to reach their mountain peak some kind of troll kills me with a couple of hits, making me guess I'm underleveled... but then I'm not sure of how to level up!

I found a cave and got pretty much insta-killed by what was inside... is there a beginners guide on quests I can take early on that will help me be adequately leveled? Any sort of recommended quest order, or things to do? I get that it's an open world game, but I don't feel like leveling up by killing rabbits and wolves in the overworld when I could be taking on beginner quests or something.

As a new player like you, here are some things I've picked up so far:

1) Leveling can hurt you. Ignore those tips on how to grind a skill to 100 in an hour, your level will skyrocket and you won't be able to survive the level-adjusted mobs.

2) Save your level ups. I discovered this one on my own, only to find it later on a help site. Going in at a lower level will make the dungeon a little bit easier, but the best benefit is that a level up fully heals/replenishes everything. Save it for the dungeon boss/mini-boss, it'll be the best heal you've seen.

3) Kite! Kite! Kite! It will take a while to get your Restoration or Alchemy skill up to the point where you can effectively out-heal damage taken. Having a way to deal damage from range is incredibly important for early survival. Right now I'm focusing on Conjuration to have summons do ranged damage while I run the bosses in circles. I never would have capped off the Mage College quest-line without them.

4) Lower the difficulty. I haven't had to do it yet, but it can be changed on the fly. If that dungeon boss keeps getting to you, knock him down a peg (or two) from the default.

OMG! OH MY GOD!

I've played this game for over 400 hours across two play-throughs and I just realized that you can hold down A (on console) to drag objects around! My goodness I feel so dumb :(

DanielJr82

OMG! OH MY GOD!

I've played this game for over 400 hours across two play-throughs and I just realized that you can hold down A (on console) to drag objects around! My goodness I feel so dumb :(
LOL, I figured it out at around hour 250 myself. Did you also know you can "hot key" with the left and right buttons on the d-pad? Hold left or right on your favorites menu on the item you want to hot key. I typically have my bow and dagger hot keyed.

LOL, I figured it out at around hour 250 myself. Did you also know you can "hot key" with the left and right buttons on the d-pad? Hold left or right on your favorites menu on the item you want to hot key. I typically have my bow and dagger hot keyed.

Oh geeze... SERIOUSLY! Tutorial fail! I need to make it a point to review the controller layout in games from now on... games still come with those right?

Sid

While I do which Bethesda would improve on the malee mechanic in the game, if they decide to turn up that dial then I want them to make more options to avoid combat because while a deep combat system is great, it will ware on you in a 300 hour game. I'm fine with it as it is now because it's so simple and brainless to the point I can bitch-slap anyone with a war axe and get back to my story :)

If the combat system is the next game is significantly improved and optional 'to the point' dialogue exists i and i'm sure many others would be very satisfied be it 200 or 300 hours in the game,better combat is always a positive

McNum

Huh, is this how the main quest ends?

I went to Sovngarde, joined up with the heroes of old, and beat up Alduin until he was dust flowing away in the wind. And stiffed me of one dragon soul, the cheapskate. And then I'm back in Skyrim, surrounded by dragons, who speak dragon at me, then fly away.

A little underwhelming, but at least I get to keep playing afterwards. So with the day saved, are there any must-see sights in Skyrim? Beat up some vampires, but I do have a couple of new shouts to try out. Woe to the next generic camp of bandits I find... *ahem*
"Od-Ah-VIING!"
If that does what I think it does, at least. It does, doesn't it?
Summon Odahviing, that is. Will he scale with level?

Also, can you learn to speak dragon in the game? You know, get subtitles for them or something?

heringer

Is there a video comparing the game running on low against the console version? Not sure if I get the PC or PS3 version. Considering my graphics card is a GeForce 525m (i3, 4gb ram), not sure how well it would run compared to the console version.

Is there a video comparing the game running on low against the console version? Not sure if I get the PC or PS3 version. Considering my graphics card is a GeForce 525m (i3, 4gb ram), not sure how well it would run compared to the console version.

My 220 with an i3 works fine with this game at very high settings with a few minor changes..

you should be fine.

So which Atherium Forge item is the best? I'm not a shield user nor a staff user but to use the crown would make me loose my matching set heavy armor perk :(

Any recs as to what may become the most useful in the later game?

Low textures are noticeably worse than the textures on PS3/360, making the textures look almost like something out of a Gamecube game or something. You should have no problem doing medium though, depending on your VRAM. They optimized the PS3 (lol) and 360 versions in such a way that the textures and effects are all really good, and, unless you see Skyrim on max settings on somebody's PC, you won't feel like you're missing much.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
FINALLY went back completed the game(PC)! Only a few silly misc quests left over. Was gonna try and finish them today but I got a CTD and said to hell with it...I seriously can't be arsed to play anymore.

Great game marred by too many bugs. Next stop, the RECYCLE BIN! :D 30GB of refreshing HD space and I feel liberated!

Thanks for the memories Beth!!! Looking forward to Skyrim 2!

I already did the quest with my first warrior build just a couple of weeks ago. It was a good quest, but it's simply too soon right now with my new thief build to delve into that. It's an epic 20 hours of the same stuff I did already not long ago! All the while they're killing off my shop owners (the dude from Warmaiden's). Who's next? His wife? Niranye in Windhelm? Screw that! I invested in these people and they're killing them off.

Dude... you're gonna have to find a way to avoid cities of people you care about until you do the Dawnguard quest otherwise the vampires will love your NPCs like the bigmacs they are.

the crown easily, having
two birthstones
is awesome

Yeah... I went with the crown. I guess I find a bit of humor in prancing around Skyrim with a circlet on while picking fights with wolves and crabs. When it's time for real women's work, I keep my loked-out DeadricHelmit (which I accidently named Gloves) handy. Can't beat the shit out of Necro Pyromancers without it <3

M.D

So... what now? I'm pretty deep into the game, and I'm looking for some more interesting things to do.
I've started as a 1 Handed + Shield character, then switched to Archer + Sneak + Conjuration (I use it only for the Bound Bow). I love this play style way more. I also love using a Dagger... so good :)

I've finished the main quest, Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood and the College of Winterhold
Is the Bards college quest line interesting? I'm looking for more interesting quests lines and things to do.

Volimar

So... what now? I'm pretty deep into the game, and I'm looking for some more interesting things to do.
I've started as a 1 Handed + Shield character, then switched to Archer + Sneak + Conjuration (I use it only for the Bound Bow). I love this play style way more. I also love using a Dagger... so good :)

I've finished the main quest, Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood and the College of Winterhold
Is the Bards college quest line interesting? I'm looking for more interesting quests lines and things to do.

Have you tried the companions yet?

DanielJr82

So which Atherium Forge item is the best? I'm not a shield user nor a staff user but to use the crown would make me loose my matching set heavy armor perk :(
How did you start that quest? I've read that reading the book "Atherium Wars" triggers it, but that hasn't been my case. I'm hunting after achievements and I need this one too.

How is Dawnguard? Haven't read anything about it.
You'll easily get a dozen hours out of it. New armor, new weapons, new magic, two new factions, two huge new areas (as big as Blackreach or bigger), new enemies, etc. It's a full blown expansion. It's more Skyrim.

Just don't come expecting a whole new game, I hate when people knock down expansion or dlc because "it's more of the same." Get over it, it's a fucking expansion. ... Sorry, that just came out.

Nope, it's not as interesting or as lengthy as the other main factions. Still worth doing it, though. Try going after all the Daedra weapons, that'll keep you busy.

So, does this play better with Kb/M or 360 controller on PC?
The game's menu was built from the ground up to work well with a controller; a major complaint from avid PC users who've come up with GUI mods since then.

ag-my001

Question about how advancing the main quest affects gameplay:

I see lots of people posting that going to towns in the Dawnguard expansion is an easy way to get NPCs killed. Is the same true for the basic version with
the spawning dragons
? Will they attack and kill people without me knowing about it, or will they only show up when I arrive at a location?

Trigger

Question about how advancing the main quest affects gameplay:

I see lots of people posting that going to towns in the Dawnguard expansion is an easy way to get NPCs killed. Is the same true for the basic version with
the spawning dragons
? Will they attack and kill people without me knowing about it, or will they only show up when I arrive at a location?

Dragons never spawn without you around. It's impossible for you to miss one since the music always cues up too.

Sooooooo....

Serana killed Lydia today. I guess Lydia didn't like one of Serana's loosly-aimed ice spikes and took a swing at her and that was that. I spent 30 minutes outfiting Lydia with a full set of enchanted Deadric equipment so she can be part of our band of sisters but she seems to be a bit too hot-headed (I always thought Lydia had a bad atitude). Aela and Serana got along just fine in the hours I quested with both of them. This is the first time a party member turned on another.

Time load the point before the fight began and send Lydia home. She can spend the rest of her life waiting in that house alone, thinking about what she did.

= = = = = = = = =

I finally decided to start the main quest in ernest when I killed the first dragon at guard tower just outside of Whiterun and harvested its soul and everything. The thing is... I go into my magic menu and I have zero dragon souls and Unrelenting force has been unlocked heaving me to wonder why the game decided to automatically assign my first dragon soul. It bums me out too because I wanted to unlock the summons for the dragon I met in the Soul Cairn :( Serana and I are now bumming around in the plains of the Reach hoping to find a dragon being a dick (like piledriving a fox or something).

Sooooooo....

Serana killed Lydia today. I guess Lydia didn't like one of Serana's loosly-aimed ice spikes and took a swing at her and that was that. I spent 30 minutes outfiting Lydia with a full set of enchanted Deadric equipment so she can be part of our band of sisters but she seems to be a bit too hot-headed (I always thought Lydia had a bad atitude). Aela and Serana got along just fine in the hours I quested with both of them. This is the first time a party member turned on another.

Time load the point before the fight began and send Lydia home. She can spend the rest of her life waiting in that house alone, thinking about what she did.

= = = = = = = = =

I finally decided to start the main quest in ernest when I killed the first dragon at guard tower just outside of Whiterun and harvested its soul and everything. The thing is... I go into my magic menu and I have zero dragon souls and Unrelenting force has been unlocked heaving me to wonder why the game decided to automatically assign my first dragon soul. It bums me out too because I wanted to unlock the summons for the dragon I met in the Soul Cairn :( Serana and I are now bumming around in the plains of the Reach hoping to find a dragon being a dick (like piledriving a fox or something).

You need three souls for that one, at least to fully unlock it.

You need three souls for that one, at least to fully unlock it.

Dragon souls, I'm finding out, are hard to come by when you first start out. Not like later in the game when you can almost garuntee that every other jump out of fast travel will have a dragon waiting for you.

I did notice something strange but is that first dragon a named dragon at lower levels? I was a level 53 when I faced it and I'm pretty sure it was a named (fire) dragon and seemed much more powerful as it took 4 shots of a level 197 crossbow enchanted with +45 frost and +45 shock and myself at level 100 archery with fully perked up and wearing a ring which allows me to do 45% more damage with bow weapons. I honestly expected it to fall out of the sky on my first shot and I was plesently supprised when it didnt.

Has anyone managed to stealth-shank a dragon with a Legendary Razor at 30x damage? Can you evel stealth-kill a dragon? Sharp bunch those guys. I remembered in my first playthrough catching some of them sleeping but could never get close enough to keep them from waking up before I kissed them.

The first dragon you face in the main quest is called Mirmulnir. It can be any type of dragon, depending on your level. It's name is always the same, though.

And yeah, you can one-hit kill a dragon. Lots of YT vids on that.

The first dragon you face in the main quest is called Mirmulnir. It can be any type of dragon, depending on your level. It's name is always the same, though.

And yeah, you can one-hit kill a dragon. Lots of YT vids on that.

Thanks! That explains why it was soaking up all my damage! I've since found three other dragons and they were all ancient dragons and they seem to take a similar level of effort. I certain'y wouldn't cal fights with them as involved as Durnehviir or Alduin but thanks to my build this time around, it's nice to not be in a fight with a dragon where no one is getting one-shot'ed.

LOL @ Shadowmare... I swear that horse has a death wish :D He seems to go directly for the head (aka... were the mouth is) when my band of yahoos face a dragon. Between mare, Serana, her Summons, myself and my summons plus Durnehviir (haven't tried him while I have another summons active), I think my crew will seriously wreck shop (...dumb Lydia can't play well with others or I would've added her to the list).

It's good, but I'm not sure it's $20 good. It feels like a $10 expansion or maybe $15.

I wish there was some form of "scientific unit" one can use to judge value but there isn't; it's simply subjective. I got about another 20 hours out of it's quests and it's addition gives more texture to world of Skyrim. I mean sure this may comes in the form of Vampires killing off shop keepers (lol) but the incidental dialog, the weapon expansions, the new locations, powers, perks, etc... it all works with what's already there. It's really like a new color was added to a muted areas of a painting to make it pop more.

I don't know if Dawnguard will be enough to bring you back to Skyrim if you you're burned out of Skyrim however if you "finished" your expeirence and would like to try a bit more after a break, It's well worth its price tag.

LOL... I guess its safe to say that four Dawnguards is equal to the original shipment of Skyrim but that's an unrealistic expectation and I'm also one of the few who would have easily paid $200 for an Elder Scrolls game.

I wish there was some form of "scientific unit" one can use to judge value but there isn't; it's simply subjective. I got about another 20 hours out of it's quests and it's addition gives more texture to world of Skyrim. I mean sure this may comes in the form of Vampires killing off shop keepers (lol) but the incidental dialog, the weapon expansions, the new locations, powers, perks, etc... it all works with what's already there. It's really like a new color was added to a muted areas of a painting to make it pop more.

I don't know if Dawnguard will be enough to bring you back to Skyrim if you you're burned out of Skyrim however if you "finished" your expeirence and would like to try a bit more after a break, It's well worth its price tag.

LOL... I guess its safe to say that four Dawnguards is equal to the original shipment of Skyrim but that's an unrealistic expectation and I'm also one of the few who would have easily paid $200 for an Elder Scrolls game.

kurhrqkmhk.gif

BigDug13

$20 is 1/3 of $60, not 1/4. I don't think the content provided is anything close to 1/3 the content of the original game. I bought it, but felt slightly overcharged.

Mikey Jr.

Hey guys, just a question hopefully someone can answer.

If I stick primarily to the main mission quests (maybe a few sidequests here and there, but not much), will that take me around Skyrim? Like to all the major towns, major dungeons, etc?

The problem with me is that I will get so OCD and try to complete all of it before I start the actual main quests that I will get burned out and just give up. I can already tell I am having this problem. If I just stick to the main quests, will I see a good deal of Skyrim?

Woorloog

Banned
$20 is 1/3 of $60, not 1/4. I don't think the content provided is anything close to 1/3 the content of the original game. I bought it, but felt slightly overcharged.

Indeed. It is fun but not really worth what they charge. 1200 MSP/whatever it is in dollars/euros could have been OK though still overcharge.

Oppsie! Sorry about the bad math. I totally made the post to highlight my problem with calculating value via numerical units for a game we already know over-delivers. Value should always be kept subjective. Lets be honest, Dawnguard is more nights of the nine ($10?) than Shivering Isles ($30?) so I feel what your saying but I guess I'm a whore for ES games to the point even the OP's shaking his head at me ;_;

Trigger

Hey guys, just a question hopefully someone can answer.

If I stick primarily to the main mission quests (maybe a few sidequests here and there, but not much), will that take me around Skyrim? Like to all the major towns, major dungeons, etc?

The problem with me is that I will get so OCD and try to complete all of it before I start the actual main quests that I will get burned out and just give up. I can already tell I am having this problem. If I just stick to the main quests, will I see a good deal of Skyrim?

Yes. The Civil War and Dragon stuff takes you all over the region.

Top Bottom