• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Damn, so I just got done regaining one of the Imperial camps. When I arrived, they were already fighting some Stormcloak troops, as well as 2 Blood Dragons. I
called in my Dragon
and he took everything down like it was no one's business. I just sat back and watched, throwing the occasional Fireball in there. I love moments like that.

Forkball

There needs to be an unequip all armor hotkey so I can do naked stealth (the way it's meant to be). I'm focusing on heavy armor, but there are times when I want to be stealthy but it's too much of a hassle to equip the right gear for it.

Gravijah

Forkball said:
There needs to be an unequip all armor hotkey so I can do naked stealth (the way it's meant to be). I'm focusing on heavy armor, but there are times when I want to be stealthy but it's too much of a hassle to equip the right gear for it.

i wish you could create sets for your favorites, so you could quickly change between items. like when i'm selling to vendors and need to equip my +prices gears.

Wilbury said:
Thank Talos you done this, I thought I was the only one who had come up with a full character history.

Turin Stormborn - Nord - Lvl 20 - Mercenary - One-Handed/Block/Light Armour/Archery/Enchanting/Conjuration

Turin Stormborn was born 4E159 in the midst of a destructive tornado in the Rift. His mother took shelter underneath a rock face and gave birth as his father fended off wolves hungry for the taste of newborn.

As a child, he helped his father run the local steel mill before the family moved to Bruma due to the rapid growth of the Cyrodiil economy. The quiet life was short lived however, for the Aldmeri Dominion's banning of Talos worship led to 'The Rape of Bruma'; Turin's father was killed, along over a hundred other townsfolk, in a Thalmor led occupation of the city. Turin, now a strapping young man, left for Skyrim with his mother, who fell ill and died at Pale Pass. She was buried facing the Jerall Mountains so Turin could feel like he had taken his mother home.

A small time spent as a woodcutter for Whiterun's inn was followed by mercenary work in Hammerfell. There, Turin fell in love with a Redguard women named Alisha, and for almost twenty years lived happily. Alisha however was killed in a Thalmor justicar's raid on their home, and as Turin ripped the limbs from the bandit with his bare hands, he vowed to return to avenge his family's deaths.

Now 42, Turin returned to Cyrodiil and hunted out the justicar Osceris, responsible for the Raping of Bruma. He brutally murdered him and hanged his body outside the still-destroyed Kvatch church, sending a message that like those 200 years before him that had died there, he would bring the force of Oblivion down on the Thalmor that resided in Skyrim.

On his way across the Jerall Mountains, looking to return to Whiterun and return to freelance mercenary work, Turin is mistaken for a Stormcloak soldier and taken to Helgen for execution...
Awesome - I do it for every one of my characters. I just create them and learn about them, bit by bit, looking at their actions and thinking "what happened to them to make them do that?", etc.

It's interesting to see that both Turin and Zetheles have a vested interest in defeating the Thalmor. As a High Elf, it's really the only way he can be invested in the game's main conflict. I'll have to devise my character history before he became a Battle-Mage (now a self-proclaimed "Knight-Evoker") - there could be something interesting there. I'll be sure to post it if I do.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Datwheezy said:
How do I check what diseases, buff/debuffs are effecting me?

Go into magic and active effects at the bottom.

Edit: Beaten twice.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Sad times. I had my first dragon attack in a town while I was stopping back in Riverwood to sell stuff. Before it was all over, it seems to have killed off at least the blacksmith's wife. I gave her a burial in the river after taking her stuff. :(

Gravijah said:
i wish you could create sets for your favorites, so you could quickly change between items. like when i'm selling to vendors and need to equip my +prices gears.

That, and the equipped gear not moving to the top of the list are just two of the many fairly glaring oversights in terms of UI friendliness/usability. Better sorting functions would have been a help as well.

I'm sure mods will fix these things on the PC version, but for now, I'm a poor console peasant. It's not horrible, but some things in the UI like that definitely make it feel like there wasn't much time spent working on it - like there were no revisions, or much usability testing, even if it does look sleek.

That said, even with flaws, the game is still great overall.

Forkball

Gravijah said:
Yes, loadouts are needed. I'm waiting, mod community.

Also your bounty should not go up if no one sees the murder. There are no security cams in Skyrim.

Zeliard

Still can't believe they kept the stupidity of guards and merchants magically knowing which items are stolen or not.

Gravijah

Forkball said:
Yes, loadouts are needed. I'm waiting, mod community.

Also your bounty should not go up if no one sees the murder. There are no security cams in Skyrim.

are you sure no one was around? because if you kill people who saw you murder someone, your bounty goes away.

mxgt

Banned
Kind of annoying that I have the perk to make my spells silent to everyone, I kill someone in their house and the guards still know what I did as soon as I leave

MrBig

GhaleonEB said:
I knew I could walk down that way, but I didn't know you could walk up them. Might have to give that a whirl tonight.
It's more difficult and is highly sensitive to the angle of the geometry but it is possible. In some places it is just impossible though.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
So what's the likelihood that this game gets a GotY edition so I can double dip on it on PC in a year or so with all the DLCs?

Atrus

Gold Member
Failed my first quest yesterday.

I got a quest from a farmer to deliver a note outside Marakath or Marakesh and after 5 seconds on the road I was attacked by a blood dragon.

It would just keep flying about and attacking people rather than landing. Then for whatever reason it saw a mudcrab on the other side of the bridge and landed to attack it, so as I'm running to it, it kills the crab looks at me crossing the bridge to it and sends a frost blast my way.

Seeing my health just drain away, I jump over the side of the bridge into the river to avoid it and the dragon takes off to the farm. By the time I arrive at the farm, all I see is the poor farmer being shaken about like a chew toy in its mouth before it tosses him into the nearby rocks thus failing my quest.

The dragon then takes off to attack the nearby mining camp and the city gate guards before enough collective damage was dealt to keep him from flying.

It's pretty sad the farmer died too because he was just telling me how he and his wife had been in that place for 50 years. His wife was too shocked to speak about much after he died (with actual dialogue reflecting her husbands passing).

Does anyone know how to solve the puzzle in Blackreach
to get the Elder Scroll? Are these two buttons the only thing you have to work with? I'm sure it's something simple, but I'm not sure what to do and am afraid I missed something earlier in the dungeon.

Sarcasm

I been hoarding perk points. But also getting my butt handed to me. Now I mainly added to block and light armor with some bow & 1 hand. Doing much better.

Shield Bash..owns.

Also the difference between a regular guide and a CE guide is the cover?

Zeliard

Atrus said:

I got a quest from a farmer to deliver a note outside Marakath or Marakesh and after 5 seconds on the road I was attacked by a blood dragon.

It would just keep flying about and attacking people rather than landing. Then for whatever reason it saw a mudcrab on the other side of the bridge and landed to attack it, so as I'm running to it, it kills the crab looks at me crossing the bridge to it and sends a frost blast my way.

Seeing my health just drain away, I jump over the side of the bridge into the river to avoid it and the dragon takes off to the farm. By the time I arrive at the farm, all I see is the poor farmer being shaken about like a chew toy in its mouth before it tosses him into the nearby rocks thus failing my quest.

The dragon then takes off to attack the nearby mining camp and the city gate guards before enough collective damage was dealt to keep him from flying.

It's pretty sad the farmer died too because he was just telling me how he and his wife had been in that place for 50 years. His wife was too shocked to speak about much after he died (with actual dialogue reflecting her husbands passing).

Awesome. That's one of those things you should never reload a save from. :p

Forkball

Gravijah said:
are you sure no one was around? because if you kill people who saw you murder someone, your bounty goes away.
This doesn't work for guards, right? I killed Nazeem for the hell of it, and then some guards came running into the building. I killed a few of them and another NPC joined me and started to take out anyone left. When I went outside the guards auto-attacked me.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Atrus said:

That is pretty god damn amazing.

Zeliard

Forkball said:
This doesn't work for guards, right? I killed Nazeem for the hell of it, and then some guards came running into the building. I killed a few of them and another NPC joined me and started to take out anyone left. When I went outside the guards auto-attacked me.

You can definitely kill guards to remove a bounty. It's probably going to be tricky to do that in a town, though.

Grisby

Man, I'm looking to the skies to see some Dragons but I never sight one. I want to see one just kinda flying around.

Jintor

mxgt said:
Kind of annoying that I have the perk to make my spells silent to everyone, I kill someone in their house and the guards still know what I did as soon as I leave

Psychic guards piss me off. It's kind of inconsistent, too...

Basileus777 said:
Does anyone know how to solve the puzzle in Blackreach
to get the Elder Scroll? Are these two buttons the only thing you have to work with? I'm sure it's something simple, but I'm not sure what to do and am afraid I missed something earlier in the dungeon.

If you push them both a bunch of times(I think it was like 3 or 4) then another button opens up, and then a fourth one opens up after pressing the third. Make sure you put the cube in the system as well.

Luthos

So a while back I picked up a dagger called Kahvozein's Fang. And I can't sell or store it because it says it's a quest item.

But I see nothing in my quest log, or miscellaneous log, about it. Anyone know which dungeon it came from?

Koomaster

Just completed the Yngvild Dungeon quest about the journals...
What a sick fuck that guy was. Wasn't expecting to encounter a necrophiliac in the game. Although I guess he was just fucking the ghosts and not the dead bodies... I can only hope. :s

Also anyone else have some random douche challenge you to a magic duel? One did that to me in the middle of the Riften marketplace and it was pretty funny. People were taking bets on which of us would win. Luckily killing him didn't incur a bounty from the guards. Afterwards though everyone wouldn't stop commenting about the dead body. It got so annoying I eventually dragged the body to the waterways and dumped it. :D

Pyke Presco said:
If you push them both a bunch of times(I think it was like 3 or 4) then another button opens up, and then a fourth one opens up after pressing the third. Make sure you put the cube in the system as well.

Thanks, I guess it was really that simple. I was trying to figure out some sort of pattern that I had to position things in, like with the similar puzzle for the Mage's Guild.

Koomaster

Luthos said:
So a while back I picked up a dagger called Kahvozein's Fang. And I can't sell or store it because it says it's a quest item.

But I see nothing in my quest log, or miscellaneous log, about it. Anyone know which dungeon it came from?
I have something similar called Dravin's bow; as well as somebody's spoon. Spoon doesn't bother me as it doesn't weigh anything, but the bow is taking up valuable space I could be using for a different bow or loot.

Jintor

Luthos said:

I gotta a few items like that, plus one journal for a Thieve's Guild quest I already completed that I can't get rid of.

Also, there's all these damn missions with no point on the map so I have no idea where to go.

GhaleonEB

Luthos said:

I have several of those, including some wine, that are tagged as quest items, but for quests I have not yet initiated.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So hows everyone leveling up their skills quickly? Barely played this but atm I think im gonna go battle mage with a focus on destruction/conjuration. From what i've read its easy to level up sneaking and blacksmithing?

Slermy

Luthos said:

I don't remember where it's found, but it's used
for the Master level Illusion quest at the College of Winterhold

Zeliard

Jintor said:
I gotta a few items like that, plus one journal for a Thieve's Guild quest I already completed that I can't get rid of.

Also, there's all these damn missions with no point on the map so I have no idea where to go.

Every quest you have in your journal should have its own objective marker.

Basileus777 said:
Thanks, I guess it was really that simple. I was trying to figure out some sort of pattern that I had to position things in, like with the similar puzzle for the Mage's Guild.

The College's one took me way longer because I was using the wrong heating and cooling spells. Bolts don't work, you have to use the continuous streams. Spent like 10 minutes trying to use bolts and they wouldn't do a damn thing.

Slermy

Koomaster said:
I have something similar called Dravin's bow; as well as somebody's spoon. Spoon doesn't bother me as it doesn't weigh anything, but the bow is taking up valuable space I could be using for a different bow or loot.

Actually the weight on quest items is just "flavor", it doesn't actually count towards your carry weight.

Luthos

Slermy said:
I don't remember where it's found, but it's used
for the Master level Illusion quest at the College of Winterhold
Wait, what?

So I have to do a mage quest on my warrior or else hold onto this 5 pound dagger forever?

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks everyone. Couple other questions:

What weapon configs allow for blocking, other than sword and board?

Is a thief a viable character option with as combat-heavy the game is?

Seanspeed

Banned
Zeliard said:
Yeah I had a mage challenge me in Whiterun. I'm pretty sure his corpse is still gracing the premises.
Same happened to me except it was my corpse littering the yard.

Speaking of my corpses, I'm getting raped by everything nowadays. I fought frost dragons earlier in the game and beat them fine. Then I had blood dragons - not a big problem either. But now I'm seeing frost dragons again, except this time, they can kill me in one blast. Even with some resist frost stuff, I'm not able to put a dent into the thing. And it was flying directly over the village where I was trying to do a mission. Aargh.

And bears. Man, bears are scary as shit.

DTKT

Seanspeed said:
Same happened to me except it was my corpse littering the yard.

Speaking of my corpses, I'm getting raped by everything nowadays. I fought frost dragons earlier in the game and beat them fine. Then I had blood dragons - not a big problem either. But now I'm seeing frost dragons again, except this time, they can kill me in one blast. Even with some resist frost stuff, I'm not able to put a dent into the thing. And it was flying directly over the village where I was trying to do a mission. Aargh.

And bears. Man, bears are scary as shit.

The scaling is brutal.

I might just take a break because it's really frustrating sometimes.

Top Bottom