• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Jintor

I was handing in a quest at Azura's Shrine up North at the summit of a mountain and heading to the top of the shrine when I notice my quest-giver is summoning atronachs and looking penseively at the sky. What comes along? That's right. A motherfucking frost dragon.

Air just filled with fireballs and lightning. God, I love mages.

Apparently my friend got attacked at the College and magical shit went down.

GhaleonEB

legbone said:
i wouldn't think so. i'm not sure how many perks there are but there are definitely some perks that can be skipped. at least in my opinion i think they can be skipped. for example, if i were to go down the alchemy route (i think i'm actully going to go enchanting though) i would only focus on the side of the tree that focuses on fortifying and ignore the poison side of the tree. several trees have two "branches" to choose from if you want. another example is my smithing tree. i am only focusing on the side of the tree that deals with heavy armor since i'm a heavy armor user.
I've just started filling in Alchemy, and I'm doing the opposite, I poison most of my first from-sneak arrows for maxium one shot kill counts. Really helps out when I tag some uberjerk that takes a hajillion arrows, I just poison each one in turn.

I'm annoyed we poison the bow and not the arrows, though. I will make a stack of like, 12 identical poisons and I wanted to then apply them to arrows, so I had a bundle of 12 poisoned arrows. That way I could have the regular and poisoned stack of arrows both in my fav list and toggle between them as needed. Now if I want to hit some dude with five poison arrows, I have to go into the menu to apply each poison, then back out and fire. Annoying as hell in the middle of combat. This is one of those annoyances in Oblivion they didn't fix.

Ogs said:
So my brother got me this as an early xmas present, my question is, does the game have a point of no return, or can i do the main quest and then carry on doing all the other things i may have missed ?
Once the main quest ends, you can continue adventuring. There are also multiple "stopping-off" points in the MQ if you feel like taking a break.

Anyone remember where the person who triggers the start to the Unfathomable Depths quest is? I'm pretty sure I encountered that woman who starts it, but the quest hasn't started and Avanchnzel remains closed.

LabouredSubterfuge said:
Never happened to me before. Did you get the soul-sucking animation, but no soul? Did you get the soul with no animation? Or did you get neither? None of those things sound normal.

Deified Data said:
Never happened to me before. Did you get the soul-sucking animation, but no soul? Did you get the soul with no animation? Or did you get neither? None of those things sound normal.

The dragon just died, but the burning up animation didn't occur :/

abundant

I love the randomness of the Dragon fights. The most memorable one I did so far
was during the Main Quest where I had to sneak into the Thalmor party. I gave that guy all my armor +weapons so he can smuggle them in and just as I was about to start the trip to the party, a dragon attacks. I'm in my underwear with no weapons. Thankfully some guards start fighting with the dragon, allowing my to use Fire Breath every now and again. We defeated it.

Main Quest spoiler.

Zeliard

Someone earlier in the previous thread said that some dragons respawn at the same place you've killed some previously and that those don't offer souls. I guess you'll know that's the case when they don't dissolve into a skeleton but are basically laying there as dead scaly dragons.

sagi446

Neo Member
Happened so many times to me. I don't think it's a glitch. There are only so many words you can learn. That dragon probably was a random spawn and not an originally generated one.

I am probably gonna get flamed for this, but I find Oblivion so much better than Skyrim. Skyrim is way too much Two Worlds/LoTR for me, too serious. Oblivion was fun and the people reactions were funny. So far in Skyrim I haven't attempted to pull a killing spree due to how effing boring it is to kill random people. It's impossible to enjoy being evil in this damn game.

Loxley

Alright, nit-pick time. I just got to Winterhold, one of the most northern, snowy and (assuming so) one of the coldest places in Skyrim.

Now, maybe it's because I just got done watching the entire first season of A Game of Thrones...but you're telling me that the guards of Winterhold are walking around in short-sleeves and chainmail skirts? I think it would have been awesome to see them wearing thicker, heavier clothing with fur pelts and such, similar to the Northern kingdom in AGoT.

Again, a nit-pick, but I got over it pretty quickly ;)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Have the menus been hanging for a few seconds for anyone else? When I try and pick a weapon or something it keeps happening, really annoying.

Anyone else getting that message that you already have someone with you when trying to get a companion? I don't have anyone! I never have, aside from quests.

I can't remember any of my characters names of levels at the moment, mostly because I keep on making new characters, not because I'm bored with the ones I have but because I want to try out new stuff.

My first guy was a Breton Battlemage type focusing on Destruction/Heavy Armor/Armorer/One-Handed. I was having trouble with mages, but I think I might get the Atronach stone once I get back on them.

My second was a straight up Orc warrior focusing on One-Handed/Block/Heavy Armor/Armorer/Restoration.

My third, and probably my favorite so far is my Wood Elf stealthy archer, with specialization in Archery/Sneak/Enchanting/One-Handed. Archery is so so so satisfying in this game.

AngryMoth

I'm really annoyed that you can't get to the daedric smithing perk from the dragon smithing one. No way I'm going the other way around the tree for it.

Valygar

arts&crafts said:
Anyone else getting that message that you already have someone with you when trying to get a companion? I don't have anyone! I never have, aside from quests.

Go back to your house or the Jarl Palace in Winterrun. You have a companion named Lydia, even if you don't know :p . If that's not the problem, I don't know...

arts&crafts said:
Did Lydia get hit by a giant, fly hundreds of miles off-kilter, and end up waiting for you on the other end of the map?

Untracked

I left my Lydia to die.

We were wandering around on some snowy path heading toward Winterhold when we came across a Snow Bear. I could not defeat it but I had to get past it. So I drank a Potion of Brief Invisibility and ran for the hills, leaving poor Lydia to deal with it. This was when I was Level 5 and I have not seen her since, so I assume met a sticky end.

:(

I don't suppose there's a way to summon a companion that has gone missing is there? I had Janessa or whatever her name is with me, crossed a river, turned around, and she was gone. She hasn't reappeared at the Inn in Whiterun where I got her, nor at my house there either.

I was going to just say to hell with it, but I can't recruit any other companions, they all say I have someone with me :-(

Zeliard

DurielBlack said:
I don't suppose there's a way to summon a companion that has gone missing is there? I had Janessa or whatever her name is with me, crossed a river, turned around, and she was gone. She hasn't reappeared at the Inn in Whiterun where I got her, nor at my house there either.

I was going to just say to hell with it, but I can't recruit any other companions, they all say I have someone with me :-(

Wait for three or so in-game days. She may be in "wait" mode for whatever reason and will go back to her original location eventually if she isn't dead. You'll get a message saying your companion got tired of waiting for you and left.

angelfly

Decided to start back on the main quest. I had stopped since I wanted to explore more of the side stuff and 25 hours later I'm still exploring side stuff.

Slermy

Blizzard said:
I mean, I didn't preorder so I can't cancel, and I'm not going pure mage, but it does sound like the magic system is pretty horrible and terrible and worthless and horrible by the end of the game. Does anyone else have any magic feedback for late game with master spells and super perks?

Maxing out Conjuration and having two permanent thralls is pretty awesome, as is the Master of the Mind perk for Illusion which allows you to use illusion spells on the undead and
Dwemer robots

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Dark Brotherhood Spoilers:

After laying waste to the Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary at Falkreath, Commander Maro returns to the East Empire Company Warehouse. Though he has protected his Emperor, avenged his son, and eradicated a danger to the Empire, a heavy feeling weighs down his heart. He tries to drown his sour mood in ale and whine.

Out of the corner of his eye, he sees a dark figure riding towards the entrance to Solitude. The rider's huge black destrier comes to a stop beside Maro, casting a shadow over the evidence of his misery.

"Commander Maro," the rider murmurs with deep and husky voice. A Khajit.

"What do you want? Get away from here before I call the guards."

Maro hears the rider descend and circle around the counter. He tries to focus on the newcomer through clouded eyes, but the rider's dark mantle shrugs off his gaze.

"I'm here to warn you. The Emperor's life is in danger again."

"What are you talking about? Danger from what?"

The rider removes her cowl, revealing a dark feline face with ice blue eyes.

"Me."

For a moment, he recognizes her face, and the shock snaps him out of his stupor. He turns to run, but the alcohol glues his legs and the pier rushes up to meet him. He tries to crawl away, hazarding a glance back at the nightmarish figure, who is drawing her bow langorously.

He screams for help, but there is no sound coming out of his mouth. His eyes roll down and he can see the arrowhead extruding from where his throat would be, tripping with his blood, his life.

In his mind and in his heart, Maro begs. To Akatosh. To Stendarr. To Kynareth, Arkay, to all the divines. Even to Talos, damned Talos.

Let this be a nightmare. Let me wake from this torment.

The sound of metal piercing air, and then darkness.

---------------------------------------

The ripples fade before the guard reaches the bar.

"Is everything alright? Where's the Commander?"

"Commander Maro is reporting back to the Emperor," said the assassin, mounting her black warhorse. The guard looks at the empty wine bottles, uncomprehending.

"Oh, all right then."

He wonder how the woman knows about Commander Maro, but one look at her cowled face and the gleaming red eyes of her horse and he realizes it is in his best interest not to ask.

"Stay safe, traveler."

"And you, good guardsman."

VindictiveGnome said:
I'm in the market for a bigger house for the wifey and I. Haha. Do all my items stored in the old house transfer to the new house?
Nope. You've got to move them manually. Bring along a companion to make the load lighter.

JoeBoy101

Goddamn this game is incredible, but I'm really bummed about not being able to get the house in Windhelm. Its perfect for my Nord Barbarian, but I gotta wait for Bethesda to fix the Blood on the Ice quest because I must've missed the first trigger for it and am in no real mood to restart a level 20+ character.

Manus

How long does it take for the courier to deliver the letter from the Dark Brotherhood? I've waited two days and nothing.

Deified Data said:
Nope. You've got to move them manually. Bring along a companion to make the load lighter.
Thanks! I'll use a companion and use the ritual stone that increases my carry weight.

I love using the shout to clear the skies. It's always beautiful at night.

Woo-Fu

Banned
JoeBoy101 said:
Goddamn this game is incredible, but I'm really bummed about not being able to get the house in Windhelm. Its perfect for my Nord Barbarian, but I gotta wait for Bethesda to fix the Blood on the Ice quest because I must've missed the first trigger for it and am in no real mood to restart a level 20+ character.

I've read that you can just kill you know who to be able to buy that house. You'll still have to do the usual kill-a-dragon, help X of my people for the jarl, but after that you should be able to buy the house.

If you're on PC you can do some magic via the console as well.

Shadybiz

Has there been any word yet on when a patch might be coming to fix the PS3 slowdown issues with big save files? It hasn't happened to me yet; my latest save is just over 4 MB, but I don't want the possibility of it happening soon to be nagging at me.

Wallach

Slermy said:
Maxing out Conjuration and having two permanent thralls is pretty awesome, as is the Master of the Mind perk for Illusion which allows you to use illusion spells on the undead and
Dwemer robots

Yeah, I don't know who said magic was awful in this game but they are on some wicked skooma.

gdt

The ice troll on the 7000 steps is by farrrrrr the hardest thing ive faced. Ive taken down 2 dragons too. gonna do some sidequests i guess, then give it another shot. or just run past.

moojito

I thought I'd take lydia for a test drive to see how having a companion would work out. Screw that, she died pretty much on every fight. Back to the house with you, woman!

gdt5016 said:
The ice troll on the 7000 steps is by farrrrrr the hardest thing ive faced. Ive taken down 2 dragons too. gonna do some sidequests i guess, then give it another shot. or just run past.

I've read a lot of people having a hard time with this guy. I guess I got lucky being fire based mage. I just blasted him with a couple of fire balls and went on my way.

Lakitu

st5fu
The game just constantly floors me with it's world design and it's atmosphere. More than any other game I've played. The attention to detail, the weather effects (blizzards, fog, rain, aurora), the torchbugs that appear in the night or the way you see the rain affecting the water, all these amazing things. It just adds to the world.

The design of much of the world is bloody amazing. The cities, the geysers / volcanic area near Ivarstead, the lake in Falkreath, the tundra, the reach (from the very little that I've seen in the game) and the beautiful autumn forest. Everything just blows me away and that's also including dungeons, for the most part, I'm loving them. Yes it's been guilty to some copy and pasting but much less than previous Bethesda efforts. Just found
an underwater keep in Falkreath's lake and also a Dwemer ruin somewhere in the Rift. I'm holding off on the Dwemer ruin for now.

Hell, I've not even been to the North yet and don't plan to for some time. I've got so much shit to do.

I did manage to successfully kill a giant today though :)

gdt5016 said:

That's interesting. The frost troll didn't give me any trouble at all. Of course, I was helped out by a frost atronach and dual-casting fireball. What level are you?

Shadybiz said:
Has there been any word yet on when a patch might be coming to fix the PS3 slowdown issues with big save files? It hasn't happened to me yet; my latest save is just over 4 MB, but I don't want the possibility of it happening soon to be nagging at me.
It happened to me, and it's getting obnoxious. I don't recall my file size, but I'm lv.30, 50 hours in, and it's definitely starting to effect me. So far the only suggestions have been to regularly restart your console every hour or so. I'm going to try and reinstall my game data tonight, see if that helps at all. I'm open to any other suggestions. My game's fine for the most part, but the slowdown near cities like Whiterun is crippling.

JackEtc

Posting to sub again. Wanna play so badly, but have homework every night. Any free time I do have goes towards Skyrim though.

Clevinger

gdt5016 said:

Just sprint past it.

Shadybiz

Deified Data said:
It happened to me, and it's getting obnoxious. I don't recall my file size, but I'm lv.30, 50 hours in, and it's definitely starting to effect me. So far the only suggestions have been to regularly restart your console every hour or so. I'm going to try and reinstall my game data tonight, see if that helps at all. I'm open to any other suggestions. My game's fine for the most part, but the slowdown near cities like Whiterun is crippling.

Cripes. Well hopefully there's a patch soon. I would HOPE that something that obviously wrong warrants a fix by Bethesda.

Edit: Ah, apparently there is indeed a patch on the way soon. In the meantime, this article says that turning off autosave might help somewhat.

So here's a story about me being a dick in Skyrim:

I’d just finished my business in Ivarstead, and wanted to head over to Riften since I’d never been there. I decided I wanted a horse, because the trek was long and it’s more fun to ride a horse. I found an Imperial camp nearby had horses, but they were spoken for and I didn't want to get in trouble for stealing one. Then, lo and behold, I noticed there was a dragon near the camp as well.

DING! Idea.

I ran up to the dragon and got it to attack me, then made a beeline for the Imperial camp. There was a slight detour, as the dragon decided to pick on a few bears first and beat the shit out of them while I watched and flung fireballs at it. Then the dragon killed them and turned its head menacingly towards me, so I went “OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT” and continued my mad dash back to the Imperial camp. I went flying through the camp screaming “DRAGON DRAGON DRAGON” at the top of my lungs as the dragon came barreling through the camp after me (running, no less, it decided not to fly and literally chased me on foot down the mountain). All the Imperials in camp immediately took to killing the dragon, and since I’m not a total dick, I helped by throwing fireballs at the dragon from as far away as possible.

Needless to say, the dragon flattened the entire camp, but not before a good chunk of its health was taken out, and after an intense one-on-one showdown, I bested what was left of the dragon and took its soul. Now I could take one of the horses free of guilt since all their owners were dead.

Yes, I got an entire camp of soldiers slaughtered because I needed a horse. Don't judge me.

Top Bottom