• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition has gone gold; PC specs

SkyrimSE_Boxes_730x549.jpg

Yet here we are – five years later – and we’re thrilled to announce that Skyrim Special Edition has gone gold, and that October 28 launch date is fast-approaching. All the memories – fan tributes, Mods, personal stories and even that phenomenon of taking an arrow to the knee – feel fresh again. The Special Edition features a significant overhaul to the game, including:

•Mod support on consoles
•Remastered art and effects
•Volumetric lighting (“God Rays”)
•Dynamic Depth of Field
•Screen-space reflections
•New snow and water shaders

Soon, players will be able experience the game on both Xbox One and PlayStation 4 – with mods – for the very first time, and the Special Edition will include native 4K support for the PlayStation 4 Pro. But what’s most exciting to us is that Special Edition also means a new generation of players can create new Skyrim Memories and learn what it means to be Dragonborn for the very first time.

Skyrim Special Edition going gold also marks the first time we’re celebrating a release as an international studio. We can’t say enough about the hard work and love our Montreal studio poured into this project.

It’s enough to celebrate with a drink. Pass the mead!
Skyrim Special Edition Requirements

PC System Specs

Minimum
Windows 7/8.1/10 (64-bit Version)
Intel i5-750/AMD Phenom II X4-945.
8GB of ram.
12 GB free HDD space
NVIDIA GTX 470 1GB /AMD HD 7870 2GB

Recommended
Windows 7/8.1/10 (64-bit Version)
Intel i5-2400/AMD FX-8320.
8GB of ram.
12 GB free HDD space
NVIDIA GTX 780 3GB /AMD R9 290 4GB

Console Storage Needs

PS4
20 GB (North America)
33 GB (Europe)

Xbox One
17 GB (North America)
25 GB (Europe)
https://bethesda.net/?hootPostID=63...-gone-gold-system-requirements/2016/10/10/229

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I'll be able to run it easy. No big shock there, though.

Can't wait for the new and improved mods.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Why are the recommended specs so high for a remaster of a 5-year-old game? I have a bad feeling.

And why is the PC version so much smaller than the console versions?

diaspora

Unless they killed like half the load screens in this game for seamless interiors I can't understand the 8GB RAM requirement. Not that it matters to me with 16GB but still.

Tovarisc

Its not much of an improvement really. What about improved combat or menu system.

That is what mods are for.

Unless they killed like half the load screens in this game for seamless interiors I can't understand the 8GB RAM requirement. Not that it matters to me with 16GB but still.

I imagine they are recommending 8GB because game is 64-bit now so can use larger memory space.

Why is the European Xbone version of Skyrim 8 gigs larger than the US version? Is that because of the language options?? PS4 is even more insane with the 13GB difference.

Why Bethesda.

Why are the recommended specs so high for a remaster of a 5-year-old game? I have a bad feeling.

And why is the PC version so much smaller than the console versions?

I wouldn't call a 780 and i5 2400 "high" in 2016.

Besides, volumetric effects are usually pretty hefty.

Yeah, the specs seem generally on par with The Witcher 3 specs.

For reference:

The Witcher 3

Minimum System Requirements
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz or AMD Phenom II X4 940
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
RAM: 6GB
HDD Space: 40 GB
DirectX 11

Recommended System Requirements
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770 3.4 GHz or AMD AMD FX-8350 4.0 GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770
RAM: 8GB
HDD Space: 40 GB
DirectX 11

Tovarisc

Why is the European Xbone version of Skyrim 8 gigs larger than the US version? Is that because of the language options?? PS4 is even more insane with the 13GB difference.

Why Bethesda.

I guess Sony and MS forces you to download all lang files.

Also has something changed when it comes to mods on PS4? Last I heard mods aren't coming to PS4 version of this or Fallout 4, but Bethesda.net says "Mod support on consoles".

So if the PS4 pro mode gets 4K support (4K textures(?)) will the PC version include these too?

Better textures in default package? Good one :D Just download some good texture mod and you are good to go.

Klart

Also has something changed when it comes to mods on PS4? Last I heard mods aren't coming to PS4 version of this or Fallout 4, but Bethesda.net says "Mod support on consoles".

Yes this has changed. Sony allows mods for both games as long as they only use original assets.

owlbeak

Yes, PS4 is getting mods. They announced it last week, but it was a compromise where the only mods allowed will have to use only assets included with the game; no exterior assets will be allowed. Kinda ruins the whole point.

Tovarisc

Yes this has changed. Sony allows mods for both games as long as they only use original assets.

Yes, PS4 is getting mods. They announced it last week, but it was a compromise where the only mods allowed will have to use only assets included with the game; no exterior assets will be allowed. Kinda ruins the whole point.

So... mods are allowed as long modders create PS4 specific mods or versions of their mods? Well that is kinda fucked up and I kinda can't see a lot modders going for that extra work.

For a new game, it's great. For Skyrim, it makes no sense unless they didn't even try to optimize the new effects.

I would guess their "recommended" spec includes a few mods as well. Or maybe the game looks even better than we think it will.

EDIT: Or, christ, maybe recommended is 4K. We don't know.

Mithos

So... mods are allowed as long modders create PS4 specific mods or versions of their mods? Well that is kinda fucked up and I kinda can't see a lot modders going for that extra work.

You cant do much with the restrictions set (IF indeed they are as strict as it sounds), mods that only contain a .esp that changes stuff in the vanilla game pretty much.
Mix of Minimum/Recommended on the specs for me, i7 930 @ 3.36Ghz, 12GB ram, GTX 660Ti.

Akronis

So here's a question:

Is framerate locked to 60 on PC or did they kind of sort of fix it like they did with FO4 so I can at least lock it to 90?

For a new game, it's great. For Skyrim, it makes no sense unless they didn't even try to optimize the new effects.

maybe it has those same light shafts from fallout 4 that ran really bad, and they are just covering their asses by giving it about the same requirements of F4 just for that one effect if people decide to max it.

novabolt

Someone go and knock those filthy PS4 copies down. Don't do that, please, it was a joke. The specs don't seem bad or am I missing something?

So the 12 GB install size on PC confirms that there will be no new textures, just the default high-res pack used.

There's also no mention of bug fixes. Not surprising but still disappointing given what a buggy mess Skyrim is.

Looking forward to the PC performance thread.

I'll be getting this (as it's free) but may have to wait for a patch or two post-launch.

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member
maybe it has those same light shafts from fallout 4 that ran really bad, and they are just covering their asses by giving it about the same requirements of F4 just for that one effect if people decide to max it.
Hopefully. Otherwise it looks like I'll have to stick with OG Skyrim.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
The minimum specs almost perfectly describe my rig, except I have an i5-760 instead of an i5-750. Urgh, gonna be time for a new computer soon, I guess. -_-

RK9039

I'm really curious to see which mods even come over from original Skyrim and then I have to figure out if new Skyrim is even worth installing when it comes out.

cackhyena

I got boned (glitched out of) halfway through a later side quest and never came back to the game. Kiiiinda interested to pick it up on one of the new consoles. Not 60 dollars interested, tho.

Top Bottom