• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The end of your AA woes! MLAA coming to AMD drivers

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
brain_stew said:
You're going to want to disable edge AA in the Crysis config file if you want to attempt to use it with the game. You're making it harder for the algorithm to find edges and adding to the blur otherwise.

You need comparison pics (in daylight) between:

No MSAA + No MLAA + No Edge AA
MLAA + No MSAA + No Edge Blur
MSAA + No Edge AA+ No MLAA
No MSAA + Edge AA + No MLAA.
Unfortunately it is useless to me as it does not seem to work with DX10 or DX11 (I did not realize this).

You can easily tell if it is engaged if you enable FRAPS. The FRAPS counter is impacted by the MLAA and becomes slightly softer around the edges. It definitely does not work with Crysis when in DX10 mode.

derFeef

DonMigs85 said:
Very good results in Age of Conan.
Though the UI suffers heavily, sadly.

brain_stew - I can enable AA together with MLAA? It looks even better in Age of Conan and removes lot´s of flickering (above shot with MLAA and 2xAA set ingame)

pestul

Whoops.. somehow I confused Triple buffering with Trilinear Filtering again, my bad. Age of Conan looks fantastic. Gives it that same feel that I get out of Dragon Age with MLAA on.

DonMigs85

derFeef said:
Though the UI suffers heavily, sadly.

brain_stew - I can enable AA together with MLAA? It looks even better in Age of Conan and removes lot´s of flickering (above shot with MLAA and 2xAA set ingame)
Ugh. Kinda reminds me of the HQ2X filtering in SNES emulators.

Kinda OT and maybe already discussed: is MLAA ever going to be feasible on the 360?

The fact that no one ever tried it might suggest that the answer is obviously negative; however I'd greatly appreciate an explanation from one of you tech-savvy gafer.

mr_nothin

Banned
I think there's too much confusion on what games actually support MLAA and games that dont. Then on top of that...there's no true way of taking screenshots that dont add any extra blurring/other side effects. I think we need to wait for the official sites to provide comparison screens.

I'm seeing games like Crysis being posted with MLAA "applied". I dont even think MLAA works in Crysis from what I've tried (havent tried it with dx9 though). MLAA works but there's a lot of variables to consider right now. This is a really early implementation so for the ppl that are writting it off, I'd way until Catalyst 10.12 when it's officially released.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
mr_nothin said:
I think there's too much confusion on what games actually support MLAA and games that dont. Then on top of that...there's no true way of taking screenshots that dont add any extra blurring/other side effects. I think we need to wait for the official sites to provide comparison screens.

I'm seeing games like Crysis being posted with MLAA "applied". I dont even think MLAA works in Crysis from what I've tried. MLAA works but there's a lot of variables to consider right now. This is a really early implementation so for the ppl that are writting it off, I'd way until Catalyst 10.12 when it's officially released.
I'm sure Crysis would work in DX9 mode.

Every DX10 or DX11 game I've tried did not work nor did OpenGL. Only DX9 games have worked. It's an especially good solution for UE3 games, though. Makes a huge difference.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
They should just drop everything they're working on and make sure MLAA plays nice with menus and hud elements ASAP. It looked really good in Mass Effect too :)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
metareferential said:
Kinda OT and maybe already discussed: is MLAA ever going to be feasible on the 360?

The fact that no one ever tried it might suggest that the answer is obviously negative; however I'd greatly appreciate an explanation from one of you tech-savvy gafer.

Yes it's possible, and has been tried:

http://www.iryokufx.com/mlaa/

Although, we should probably note that technically MLAA implementations may differ. There is no such thing as one 'MLAA' technique. For example, someone asked earlier if running screenshots through Intel's software would let you see what games would look like with AMD's implementation...whilst in the large it would be quite similar, I'm sure, technically it's not exactly the same.

Binabik15

Stupid question, but do I need to update to 10.10 before installing the 10.10a hotfix? I´m on 10.9 and neither steam nor the AMD homepage gave any results when I searched them for catalyst 10.10 :/ With 135 mb the hotfix file is pretty big, though, so I guess it could include 10.10? It´s still downloading (veeeeeery slowly), so I can´t tell and I don´t want to screw my drivers up by doing things in the wrong order, so I thought I´d ask.

Sad that Crysis (DX10) doesn´t work with it, then again it´s not official, so I´m glad for anything we get out of this.

derFeef

Binabik15 said:
Stupid question, but do I need to update to 10.10 before installing the 10.10a hotfix? I´m on 10.9 and neither steam nor the AMD homepage gave any results when I searched them for catalyst 10.10 :/ With 135 mb the hotfix file is pretty big, though, so I guess it could include 10.10? It´s still downloading (veeeeeery slowly), so I can´t tell and I don´t want to screw my drivers up by doing things in the wrong order, so I thought I´d ask.

Sad that Crysis (DX10) doesn´t work with it, then again it´s not official, so I´m glad for anything we get out of this.
The hotfix is the full driver, just a newer version. You can install it right away.

gofreak said:
Yes it's possible, and has been tried:

http://www.iryokufx.com/mlaa/

Although, we should probably note that technically MLAA implementations may differ. There is no such thing as one 'MLAA' technique. For example, someone asked earlier if running screenshots through Intel's software would let you see what games would look like with AMD's implementation...whilst in the large it would be quite similar, I'm sure, technically it's not exactly the same.

Thank you, that is very interesting. Let's hope will see more implementation, games that took advantage of it on ps3 (although it's a different kind of implementation, on the cpu) had huge improvements over competitors not using it on the same hardware.

scitek

After tinkering with Dead Space, GTA4, and Crysis, MLAA just isn't working for me at all. When I apply it to games, though, FRAPS shows that the framerate drops as if it's being altered somehow. What all do I need to have checked in CCC to make sure it's working properly?

JADS

I verified if anything was running by using the console. Unless I did something wrong or the console isn't working correctly here are some Crysis results. Edge detect was disabled by using autoexec file

No MLAA No Edge No MSSA

No MLAA Yes Edge No MSAA

Yes MLAA No Edge No MSAA

No MLAA No Edge 4x MSAA

Yes MLAA No Edge 4x MSAA

What's the interst of combining both MLAA and MSAA? Isn't MSAA suposed to clean the edges already? The only difference to me is that putting MLAA on top of that makes the image blurrier. What am I missing?

JADS

LabouredSubterfuge said:
Might just be me but I think MLAA wins out there. What were your fps rates like on those JADS?

No MLAA No Edge No MSAA - 69
No MLAA Yes Edge No MSAA - 67
Yes MLAA No Edge No MSAA - 63
No MLAA No Edge 4x MSAA - 43

Edit:
The performance hit is much larger in 1080P
No MLAA No Edge No MSAA - 55
Yes MLAA No Edge No MSAA - 40
No MLAA No Edge 4x MSAA - 30

Edit 2: Overclocking my 5850 (865 Core, 1210 Memory) seems to help on the MLAA option. I gain around 10 frames.

pestul

MLAA is definitely working in that shot you took. You can also see a little bit of distortion in the Weapon/ammo hud text. It's kinda neato that we got it working, but we have to be realistic here. We only just hacked the feature in for 5xxx. Has anyone with a 6xxx actually tried the 10.10hotfix on the amount of games tested here? It will be interesting if it works in DX10/11 games for those cards.

jett

D-Member
metareferential said:

LucasArts implemented a custom AA technique called "DLAA" on The Force Unleashed:

With DLAA
Without AA

It blurs the image too much for my liking compared to MLAA on the PS3, but it's something. :p The difference here is that Sony themselves developed a custom AA solution and has offered it to ever PS3 developer out there. Microsoft would have to do something similar...

jett said:
LucasArts implemented a custom AA technique called "DLAA" on The Force Unleashed:

With DLAA
Without AA

It blurs the image too much for my liking compared to MLAA on the PS3, but it's something. :p The difference here is that Sony themselves developed a custom AA solution and has offered it to ever PS3 developer out there. Microsoft would have to do something similar...

Yes, TFU2 has some pretty image quality, the blur is noticeable yet forgettable given the results.

Custom solutions are becoming more and more popular even on the 360 (Halo Reach, as an example).

FoxSpirit

What really is needed is an option for after-sharpen. Seriously, even a slight sharpen effect after MLAA makes the picture pure awesome.

pestul

FoxSpirit said:
What really is needed is an option for after-sharpen. Seriously, even a slight sharpen effect after MLAA makes the picture pure awesome.
Yeah, well something like that could probably be implemented in the MLAA function for future drivers.

M3d10n

brain_stew said:
So AMD may be currently limiting this to DX9? That's just.............stupid, though I'm sure it'll be rectified soon as they've already committed to supporting DX10 and DX11 games.
I don't think it's intentional. It's just that since DX9 games are using only a subset of the graphics features, the driver can introduce the MLAA into the post-render without risks of breaking the game in some strange way. DX10 and 11 renderers, being more flexible, have higher chances of causing incompatibilities and probably need testing. Also, since they can use more of the hardware, the performance hit might be greater.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
M3d10n said:
I don't think it's intentional. It's just that since DX9 games are using only a subset of the graphics features, the driver can introduce the MLAA into the post-render without risks of breaking the game in some strange way. DX10 and 11 renderers, being more flexible, have higher chances of causing incompatibilities and probably need testing. Also, since they can use more of the hardware, the performance hit might be greater.
I just think that the hacked drivers don't work properly. We need someone with 6xxx series.

Kamaki

Just tried this out with a few games, I have the pretty crappy 5670 so yeah. Also it was done at 1080p and I didn't run fraps, I'll do that later to give an accurate number.

Tried it in both Unreal Tournament 2004 and Unreal Tournament 3. In 2004 it worked really well, ran at a rock solid 60fps with nice looking edges. 3 took a nosedive in the fps, normally I have it running at max settings at roughly 40-60 fps; with MLAA it was pretty choppy below 30's.

Tried with Counter-Strike and CS:S; CS was great again, nice to play that game with AA :D CS:S actually took a massive hit, normally running 60+fps the counter was saying it was sticking at around 30fps. I thought that was pretty odd but I'm no genius. :lol

I could use a little help here. I have a Mobility 5730 in my laptop and I've installed the driver and hotfix for 5XXX series and restarted my computer, but I'm still not getting an option for MLAA in the CCC. Is there something else I have to do?

gillty

Banned
derFeef said:
Age of Conan let´s you take one MLAA screenshot with printscreen.
Here is a comparison. Please ignore the textureresolution, the engine resets all textures after alt-tabbing and they have not loaded properly on the no MLAA shot. Clicky for highres.

MLAA

no MLAA
Wow amazing results, honestly the MLAA shot is among the best I've seen of Conan.

pestul

brochiller said:
I could use a little help here. I have a Mobility 5730 in my laptop and I've installed the driver and hotfix for 5XXX series and restarted my computer, but I'm still not getting an option for MLAA in the CCC. Is there something else I have to do?
I thought the mobility drivers were unique. Either that, or there could be residual from regular 10.10 that is carrying over. Might need to use DriverSweep in between uninstalling and reinstalling.

Once official, this feature is going to be awesome on my bros new laptop w/mobility 5650. He probably never thought he'd be able to use AA at usable framerates.

tomb raider underworld looks really good with this too. games with lots of foliage seem to benefit a lot so far.

it's giving me power headaches though. hopefully that's just an issue with the hacked driver. i'm going to try a clean application of the hotfix before i give up on it, for now. i can't have my mobo giving me really loud error beeps whenever i try and play a game.

pestul said:
I thought the mobility drivers were unique. Either that, or there could be residual from regular 10.10 that is carrying over. Might need to use DriverSweep in between uninstalling and reinstalling.

Once official, this feature is going to be awesome on my bros new laptop w/mobility 5650. He probably never thought he'd be able to use AA at usable framerates.

Yeah you're right, that hotfix probably doesn't work with the mobility cards. Oh well, hopefully support for the 5XXX series cards will be included in the next official update.

So, I'm playing Vindictus, and it's obviously working because the UI is a little "blurred" and there is AA, but it's not mind blowing. Are there any other settings I should have enabled/disabled in CCC, other than checking the MLAA box?

AlStrong

chris0701 said:
How did they acheive that ? Could it based on experimental driver level MLAA for 360(as ATI did). It makes no sense they would update their code into source code of games.

It's just a post-process filter.

RockmanWhore said:
What's the interst of combining both MLAA and MSAA? Isn't MSAA suposed to clean the edges already? The only difference to me is that putting MLAA on top of that makes the image blurrier. What am I missing?

Any deferred effects will negate MSAA (e.g. bloom, tone mapping, lighting...). MSAA will work better on thinner geometry than these edge detect blurs.

Mr. Snrub said:
So, I'm playing Vindictus, and it's obviously working because the UI is a little "blurred" and there is AA, but it's not mind blowing. Are there any other settings I should have enabled/disabled in CCC, other than checking the MLAA box?
well see, the thing about MLAA is that it's very 'cheap' and that it works rather well on all edges (alpha transparency stuff included). so if you have a game whether AA either doesn't work, or is very expensive (like forcing it on in UT3 engine games) this gives you a big performance boost.

if you could already afford MSAA+TAA or SSAA in a particular game then you won't really be wanting to use this, but if it had an ugly custom solution, or performance wasn't there with MSAA this will give you a good performance boost.

it works better in some games than others, and looks better in some rather than others.

brochiller said:
Yeah you're right, that hotfix probably doesn't work with the mobility cards. Oh well, hopefully support for the 5XXX series cards will be included in the next official update.
hopefully. maybe then certain games won't cause my pc to start giving out Power error beeps.

Blizzard

Banned
JADS said:
No MLAA No Edge No MSAA - 69
No MLAA Yes Edge No MSAA - 67
Yes MLAA No Edge No MSAA - 63
No MLAA No Edge 4x MSAA - 43

Edit:
The performance hit is much larger in 1080P
No MLAA No Edge No MSAA - 55
Yes MLAA No Edge No MSAA - 40
No MLAA No Edge 4x MSAA - 30

Edit 2: Overclocking my 5850 (865 Core, 1210 Memory) seems to help on the MLAA option. I gain around 10 frames.
Did you resize the shots you posted from a larger resolution? I feel like your shots without MLAA look better than my 1680x1050 Crysis shots with a 5850, unless I'm just missing something.

dark10x said:
Unfortunately it is useless to me as it does not seem to work with DX10 or DX11 (I did not realize this).

You can easily tell if it is engaged if you enable FRAPS. The FRAPS counter is impacted by the MLAA and becomes slightly softer around the edges. It definitely does not work with Crysis when in DX10 mode.

That's only a bug/limit of the current implementation though, AMD have already commited to supporting to DX10 and DX11 games so it will come in time.

RockmanWhore said:

Neither technique covers all edges in a scene. MSAA is great at mitigating sub pixel aliasing (e.g. thin geometry like power cables) but does nothing for alpha based aliasing. When MLAA woks properly on an edge it can provide quality similar to 8-16xmsaa but it does nothing for sub-pixel aliasing and can cause issues in motion. Combining the techniques can potentially deal with the vast majority of aliasing in a scene and adding MSAA ontop of MLAA does not introduce any more blue on top of what the MLAA has already introduced.

-------------------------

Great Crysis shots. MLAA looks better than 4xmsaa there and a nice step up above edgeAA, it seems really well suited to it.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Since no one answered, I'll ask again. (Though it wasn't really a question!)

Will they be able to perfect it enough so that the blur caused on huds and menus isn't as noticable while still keeping the advantages of smoothed out edges?

Still very impressive stuff :)

JADS

Blizzard said:
Did you resize the shots you posted from a larger resolution? I feel like your shots without MLAA look better than my 1680x1050 Crysis shots with a 5850, unless I'm just missing something.

No, all shots posted where taken from the game running 720P windowed + DX9. The only thing I did is crop away the border in paint.net.

Blizzard

Banned
JADS said:
No, all shots posted where taken from the game running 720P windowed + DX9. The only thing I did is crop away the border in paint.net.
Thanks. Sounds like I should try playing in 720p windowed. :D

Karak

I give up:( 19 reboots later) killed the 00000 reg folder many times, rebooted, hotfixed, tried with manual replacement. Nothing ever turns it on. It is now in the registry but setting it to 1 or 0 and rebooting after each does nothing.

Windows 7 32bit
ATI 5850
Damn!

scitek

Karak said:
I give up:( 19 reboots later) killed the 00000 reg folder many times, rebooted, hotfixed, tried with manual replacement. Nothing ever turns it on. It is now in the registry but setting it to 1 or 0 and rebooting after each does nothing.

Windows 7 32bit
ATI 5850
Damn!

I'm in the same boat! Hopefully the official implementation will work.

Top Bottom