• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 PC performance thread

Stygr

Banned
WTF, Did Bethesda drop DENUVO?
How is it possibile? The game is piratable, i might download it and play the opening chapters meanwhile i'm waiting the unlock time on Steam uhm....
Can you port the saves to the Steam version?

Burt

How is it possibile? The game is piratable, i might download it and play the opening chapters meanwhile i'm waiting the unlock time on Steam uhm....

... just wait for the unlock.

--R

Banned
IIRC even something like Dark Souls 3 at max does fine on a 970/1060/580.

It's always possible we'll get better performance with patches/drive updates.

Yeah, for sure it'll get fixed with patches. It's still kinda scary for those who preordered the game tho.

rtcn63

Is it probable that the missing exe issue and lack of denuvo are related, and not in a way Bethesda intended?

Melchior

I'm on the fence right now. I want to get PC version since the FOV is just terrible if its not 90. But I'm running a 6600k and 960 so I really wonder if I'll be able to get acceptable frame rates even on all low settings. But that FOV is so tempting.

I'll be watching this thread to decide whether or not to pick it up. I've got 3 980s running in SLI, and a 144 hz 1080p gsync monitor. I also have a 4K HDR TV that I'll be getting an Xbox One X for soon enough...

So... I'm holding off on which version to get for now.

Happy to hear that the game runs better than the first. Slightly cautious to see it still has the weird thing where the game caps to half of whatever your desktop refresh rate is. That was a small annoyance for me in the original, where I would occasionally dip below 72 fps, but never below 60... so having to change desktop settings before launching the game each time was the only way to lock to 60 hz :/

shimon

No Denuvo.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is it probable that the missing exe issue and lack of denuvo are related, and not in a way Bethesda intended?

It's very possible somebody accidentally put a Denuvo-free version of the executable in the replacement executable depot. Something similar happened all the way back when Skyrim launched: Bethesda applied Steam DRM to the launcher but not the actual game executable itself, so for a short while, the biggest release of the year was entirely DRM-free.

J3nga

Didn't they say there would be a black bars option just off by the default? I couldn't find to enable it in the options.

nice that they have those motion blur options (I would definitely do 120hz with no camera blur but with per object blur for example).

Seems a bit heavy at the highest settings so far from the GameGPU benchmarks. Perhaps the SSR is ridiculously expensive.

Also, slapping more rendering passes on idtech5 might ust make it even heavier than it would be in a less haphazardly put together engine.

Newboi

nice that they have those motion blur options (I would definitely do 120hz with no camera blur but with per object blur for example).

Seems a bit heavy at the highest settings so far from the GameGPU benchmarks. Perhaps the SSR is ridiculously expensive.

Also, slapping more rendering passes on idtech5 might ust make it even heavier than it would be in a less haphazardly put together engine.

EW2 still uses IdTech5??? I thought Tango switched engines?

Anyway, I'm trying to decide if I should pick this game up now or later. I have so many games I still need to get through now, it might just be better for me to wait. There's also the fact that Mario Odyssey will tare me away immediately.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

GameGPU's article isn't up yet. The benchmarks posted on the previous page are of the original game.

Enclose

I5 3570K 4.3Ghz
GTX 980TI OC
16GB RAM
WIn 10 x64

Playing in 1440p Resolution i cant get a stable 60FPS lol. Still trying to find the optimal settings.

Runs great in ultrawide

1080ti
16gb ram
Ssd
3440x1440 gsync

Game defaulted to med settings

So I'm going to just run this game on default settings for once

FoV 90
Film grain on
CA on (gasp)
Motion blur on (gasp)

I get 60-100 fps (edit: from previous 50)

gsync does a great job so far

--R

Banned
EW2 still uses IdTech5??? I thought Tango switched engines?

Anyway, I'm trying to decide if I should pick this game up now or later. I have so many games I still need to get through now, it might just be better for me to wait. There's also the fact that Mario Odyssey will tare me away immediately.

The new engine is a modification of IdTech5.

GavinUK86

i7 2600k + 970 + 16gb ram + windows 7

weird performance

mostly below 60fps though which is disappointing

very very low hovers around 70

some scenes in the intro are giving me higher frame rates on ultra than low and most gpu usage is around 70% so something is going on

edit: forgot to add i'm running it at 1080p

GameGPU's article isn't up yet. The benchmarks posted on the previous page are of the original game.

achso, hahahahaha

woooooooooops
EW2 still uses IdTech5??? I thought Tango switched engines?.

I was pretty sure that was the case. I was under the impression that it was "heavily modified"...

curious for those that have it. Try turning down SSR to off. Or all options high, but SSR to like low or off.

nOoblet16

My GPU usage at 4K and ultra is like 12-13ms/frame at 4K which doesn't make sense so I'm going to say that the game isn't downsampling from 4K to 1080P for me and is just running at my monitor's max resolution i.e. 1080P. The strange thing is that my CPU usage is at a consistent 16-17ms even in the first level while I'm just looking at the house...and turning LOD on doesn't do shit for it either that is not normal.

I'm getting 60FPS but every few seconds I'll get a microstutter and it's super annoying. I feel it might be CPU that's causing it but it should still just be a frame drop and not a microstutter.

It's an i7 6700K and GTX 1080

EDIT: The game seems to downsample if I change it to 1080P+ in the main menu, but not while I am in game.

achso, hahahahaha

woooooooooops

I was pretty sure that was the case. I was under the impression that it was "heavily modified"...

The original game used a heavily modified id Tech 5 engine (which had little to no real time lighting to speak of). This one is further modified (and reportedly brought in some id tech 6 stuff). Seems like the game runs 16:9 at least as well as it used to run with the 21:9 black bars judging from the numbers people are throwing around in here.

The game scaled to higher pixel counts very badly, so I always figured they were doing a lot of intensive pixel shaders or what have you. There was definitely a lot of room for improvement. I'm interested to see if this one takes similarly large performance hits when you increase resolution.

Mifec

So the fire effects(understandably) and entering a new room causes framerate to drop for a second for me but then it climbs back up and I can look at the particle effects as much as I want and it drops down to 59 from 60 but not lower

3570k@4.6ghz
gtx 1080 asus strix
16gb ram

1440p

We have experienced a little bit of stutter though, which might be due to the Creator's Update Windows added a few months back (and which is supposed to be fixed in an upcoming update on October 17

Whats that about is windows 10 causing stuttering for some reason?

Runs great in ultrawide

1080ti
16gb ram
Ssd
3440x1440 gsync

Game defaulted to med settings

So I’m going to just run this game on default settings for once

FoV 65
Film grain on
CA on (gasp)
Motion blur on (gasp)

I get 50(!) fps

Seems low but gsync does a great job so far

Wait, you are only on medium settings with that setup and only getting 50 fps?

rtcn63

So the fire effects(understandably) and entering a new room causes framerate to drop for a second for me but then it climbs back up and I can look at the particle effects as much as I want and it drops down to 59 from 60 but not lower

3570k@4.6ghz
gtx 1080 asus strix
16gb ram

1440p

Win7 or 10? Max settings?

Skyr

Runs like a dream so far
Ultra 1440p on a 1080ti / G-Sync / i7 4790k @ 4.6ghz / 16GB RAM

I get about 70-80 fps in the office but GPU usage is sitting at 70%max. CPU at about 30%
So I guess there is still some room for optimization.

Some textures look a bit rough but overall I like the visuals

PNg5ao8.jpg

Top Bottom