• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 PC performance thread

bbd23

I know 30FPS is a bad word to say around these parts but just as an FYI, the in-game half refresh rate/30FPS vsync option paired with RTSS set to 30 gives you a perfect stutter free frame paced experience. If you don't mind playing at that framerate, it's certainly a valid option right now. With a GTX 970, it doesn't budge from 30FPS with everything on Ultra. On top of that, if you liked the letterboxed/30FPS feel of the first game, you can use a 21:9 resolution, on a 16:9 screen, and the framerate cap. I'm playing it like that right now and personally, it's far better than the stuttery mess of an uncapped framerate. But of course, YMMV.

nice, thanks for the info

6 more hours until I can give this a go.

Social

I have it maxed out without the Chromatic Ab and Motion Blut stuff and it runs always above 60 FPS for me on my 1080, I do overclock it a bit. Quite solid here so far, just some weird animations here and there.

LegendX48

Someone in this thread said it looks like it doesn't, but the promotional material says that it is supposed to, and an early preview of the PC version from August said that they were playing it with HDR (maybe it wasn't even on, and the person playing was under a placebo). I'm more curious to whether or not HDR will work with any resolution other than 4K however.

Well, I'll certainly find out soon when the game unlocks. I'm really hoping it does as I picked this version because the promo stuff said it supported HDR on all platforms

Deepo

EDIT: Yeah, ignore me. I switched TV yesterday (C6 to C7), and the new flashyness threw me off. Game doesn't seem to support HDR. I'm sorry if I disappointed people.

EDIT2: And now I see dark10x saying it doesn't support it on any platform currently, so mega-ignore me.

I have an i5 6600k and a 980ti.... game runs around 45fps with high settings at 1440p... I have been running at 1080p at high settings and it has been pretty stable, with only a few dips to 57-59. I haven’t tried ultra, but high settings seem to be good, and I’m guessing settings like ultra volumetric lights and shadows will probably kill FPS for very little gain.

The fxaa + txaa does a fairly good job at 1080p, and thank god for the pc fov. Game is crazy cramped at the default fov

I have an i5 6600k and a 980ti.... game runs around 45fps with high settings at 1440p... I have been running at 1080p at high settings and it has been pretty stable, with only a few dips to 57-59. I haven’t tried ultra, but high settings seem to be good, and I’m guessing settings like ultra volumetric lights and shadows will probably kill FPS for very little gain.

I have the same set up as you. If you're able to, could you give 4K a shot and see if it at least maintains 30fps?

Just want to confirm that the game indeed supports HDR. I'm on the latest Windows Insider build though (which is likely RTM for the Fall Update).

Same as for Shadow of War, you have to enable HDR for the desktop to get it to work.

For Nvidia users:

Set "Use Default Color Settings" under Screen Resolution in the Nvidia Control Panel.

Activate HDR in the Windows 10 Display settings.

Start the game, and voila.

Are you sure? I turned on hdr in the display settings and the game seemed washed out to me (unlike SoW or forza 7).is there an in game setting confirming hdr?

I'm getting 60+ FPS with a GTX 1080 as expected, but the game stutters all the time. It feels like it's dropping frames, but the counter always shows 60 FPS 16.6 ms frametime. I'll try updating the drivers to see if it solves the problem.

I have the same set up as you. If you're able to, could you give 4K a shot and see if it at least maintains 30fps?

Sure, at 4K high settings it seems to hover around 31-32 for the section I am on, can’t speak to the larger open world sections, but def seems to maintain. Game also has a 30fps vsync option, and the motion blur implementation is surprisingly good.

Sanctuary

Just want to confirm that the game indeed supports HDR. I'm on the latest Windows Insider build though (which is likely RTM for the Fall Update).

Same as for Shadow of War, you have to enable HDR for the desktop to get it to work.

For Nvidia users:

Set "Use Default Color Settings" under Screen Resolution in the Nvidia Control Panel.

Activate HDR in the Windows 10 Display settings.

Start the game, and voila.

I expected to have to mess with those settings if the game had it in the first place, but it's still a clusterfuck that shouldn't have to be messed with in the first place. Especially if the end results aren't even better than the auto detect we had with the previous few games that had HDR...

Not only am I going to have to adjust those two settings, I'm also going to have to adjust two settings on my TV that I haven't had to bother with since setting everything up last year. Now each time I want to switch between games that support HDR and everything else, I have to fuck with four settings to activate it, then change them back when I'm finished for the day.

I expected to have to mess with those settings if the game had it in the first place, but it's still a clusterfuck that shouldn't have to be messed with in the first place. Especially if the end results aren't even better than the auto detect we had with the previous few games that had HDR...

Yeah it’s a pain, I have just made a start menu shortcut that goes directly to the hdr setting in display settings, which has made turning it off an on way simpler and less of a hassle. Obviously it was much better before the windows update when it would auto switch, but at least this can make it a bit easier...

jett

D-Member
Does this shit even have Vulkan support?

I played TEW1 at 30fps on PC and it looked and played smooth enough without any of the usual stutters you get when attempting to play a PC game at 30fps. Hopefully I'll have a similar experience here...

tesqui

Playing on a RX480 + i5 3570 and it runs wonderfully at 60 without any drops that I can tell. The graphics setting are on medium at 1080p

I'm getting 60+ FPS with a GTX 1080 as expected, but the game stutters all the time. It feels like it's dropping frames, but the counter always shows 60 FPS 16.6 ms frametime. I'll try updating the drivers to see if it solves the problem.

I know with Dishonored 2 it had similar issues at any framerate other 60 fps. I don't think idTech and its forks like anything other than 60 fps.

Deepo

Really? That is ridiculously stupid imo... I wonder why that is the case. Either way, I guess I’d rather play at 60 than have hdr, even though I imagine hdr looks great in this game...

Yeah, I'm not sure. No in game indicators, so I'm going to hold off to see what others are saying.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Anyone got specs like this that can comment on performance?

GTX1070 8gb
i7-7700 @ 3.6ghz
16gb ddr4 ram

Looking to play in 1080p, with Max settings, or near max, for at LEAST 60fps. (Have a 144hz monitor)

d00d3n

Anyone having sync issues in cutscenes?

Yes.

Anyone else having the game breaking cutscene audio desync bug? The game worked in the first interactive section, but the cutscene in the diner/bar that follows has completely desynced audio. The woman speaks when Sebastian is supposed to speak and vice versa.

I guess this may have to do with running the game in unlimited fps on a gsync display? Or maybe something related to running ultrawide/high fov? Everything is maxed, except disabled chromatic aberration, disabled camera motion blur, running in 2560*1080 resolution.

Specs: Titan X Pascal, 5820k@4.5, 16 gb RAM, windows 10
I got same problem now

Please describe your hardware and setting. Are you using a gsync display? Ultrawide display? Changed FOV setting? What vsync setting do you use? GPU?

Well, I'll certainly find out soon when the game unlocks. I'm really hoping it does as I picked this version because the promo stuff said it supported HDR on all platforms

It doesn't support HDR. I tried enabling HDR in my Windows settings like with Shadow of War, but this game does not support it. It's a shame because it would look great with HDR.

amrod

Yes.

Please describe your hardware and setting. Are you using a gsync display? Ultrawide display? Changed FOV setting? What vsync setting do you use? GPU?

Nvidia geforce 1080 with newest drivers, 3440 x 1440 on a Acer x34 with gsync on, 32gb ram, 6700k and windows 10

I ran it with default settings and it was still out of sync... tried a bunch of different settings and nothing seemed to fix it

Jawmuncher

Now if you unpack the game and then go back to your regular online. Will the game pack everything back up so you have to unpack it all again or will it just prevent you from playing it.

Sanctuary

Only in 3840x2160 it seems. All other resolutions are washed out.

According to DF:

What confuses me is that the info graphic for Xbox X and TEW2 shows HDR support but the game currently doesn't support HDR on any platform. Maybe changes are coming post launch?

So what the hell? Was there a small update that the preview copies didn't have?

edit: LOL, nvm. Just saw your edits.

Jawmuncher

JaseC you could’ve told me VPN reset any downloads you have. Was at 25GB on Shadow of War went to do this and now I’m back to 0. That shit ain’t gonna be done until Monday at this rate.

rtcn63

I still got the issue running the game on a 60hz plasma tv (without gsync)

No clue sadly. Maybe do a clean install of the nvidia drivers, particularly the HD audio driver?

Also try resetting any GPU overclocks.

EDIT: Maybe try messing with the frames? Go to Program Settings -> TEW2 in the NV control panel and set the maximium pre-rendered frames to 1 or something.

Gbraga

Wow, the game is a lot more demanding than I was expecting. At least the in-game 30fps lock seems to be quite good, judging by the in-game frametime measurement. I'll see if I can downsample while keeping 30fps, and I'll probably just keep it that way.

EDIT: The game isn't letting me select higher resolutions for some reason.

Weird.

I've played the first two chapters, and it runs pretty good for me. 55-60 fps most of the time. Rarely any stuttering. I have a GSYNC monitor.

GTX 1080
6700k @ 4 GHz
16 GB RAM
850 EVO SSD

3440x1440
Turned off camera motion blur, DOF, CA.
Everything else on High, except SSR which is on Medium.
FOV 80
LOD Disabled

epmode

JaseC you could’ve told me VPN reset any downloads you have. Was at 25GB on Shadow of War went to do this and now I’m back to 0. That shit ain’t gonna be done until Monday at this rate.

That's... weird. Maybe it's because you started downloading an encrypted version while off the VPN. Once you switched to a region where the game was already unlocked it restarted the download with the unlocked version? I didn't think Steam worked like that though.

I unlocked the game early by fully pre-loading with no VPN (I'm in America) and then I performed JaseC's steps before launching the game. The decryption process took a while but it didn't download much, if anything.

Paragon

Same performance issues as everyone else here. R7-1700X at 3.9GHz, GTX 1070 Strix OC, 32GB DDR4-2666.
It behaves like a CPU bottleneck, with the GPU usage never going above 80% or so - often much lower - and I'm only seeing three threads doing serious work. The highest per-core CPU usage is around 50%, and total CPU usage is only about 20% on the R7-1700X.
As I drop the resolution the framerate improves, but GPU utilization drops even further. It's all very reminiscent of the original game before it was patched.

At lower resolutions like 1080p, I didn't notice any microstutter issues as long as the framerate stayed above 60 - but that is with G-Sync.
At 3440x1440 the framerate drops to about 45-50 FPS which looks really bad. I'm glad the game at least natively supports ultrawide displays this time around.

Are you using virtual surround software or something? It may be related to this bug, but all the audio sounds really echoey.
I tried a couple of different sound devices: Built-in Realtek audio (with/without Dolby Atmos VSS), an X-Fi sound card, and it's working here. Unlocked framerate with G-Sync on an ultrawide monitor too.

FaintDeftone

I just used a VPN to unlock early.

My build:

GTX 970
16GB Ram
i7 4790k
7200 RPM WD Black drive (OS on an SSD)
1080p monitor

The game fluctuates between 45-60fps almost constantly on Ultra. On both Medium and High settings it hovers in the 50-60 range. I ended up just capping it at 30 FPS and setting it on Ultra. Not ideal, but better than a constantly changing framerate and it doesn't dip below 30. I did notice some random but uncommon frame pacing, though.

The game doesn't seem to be pushing GPU too heavily. It's either a very CPU intensive game or it isn't very well optimized. I'm enjoying it but I hope they work on getting the performance improved. The game doesn't look super impressive to be getting this sort of performance.

Top Bottom