• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 PC performance thread

Fuck me this sounds like this is written on stone and they're not going to work to improve the performance

Even knocking settings to medium won't get me a stable 60 fps at 4K on a Titan XP, so I'm calling BS on this article. I'm locking it at 45 fps with Riva and calling it a day.

That being said, I think the port is pretty good, and the game looks pretty good in many parts, even great with certain effects and areas.

Overall texture detail is pretty sub par on certain objects, but character and enemy details look great, and the lighting is pretty nice.

Sweet FX lumasharpen is my best friend when running TAA anti-aliasing, and it works wonders with TEW2.

Really, really liking the game so far. Tango has done a wonderful job addressing the many issues I had with the first game.

Edit: I should also add that my card is overclocked.... Tried forcing SLI with Nvidia Inspector using the compatibility bits that are pre-determined and forcing AF2 rendering, and the results were a disaster. Utilization was at 40% on each card, and framerate tanked to the 20s.

I'm thinking working SLI should be up with Nvidia's next driver update, though, because the bits are in there now.

Truant

Even knocking settings to medium won't get me a stable 60 fps at 4K on a Titan XP, so I'm calling BS on this article. I'm locking it at 45 fps with Riva and calling it a day.

That being said, I think the port is pretty good, and the game looks pretty good in many parts, even great with certain effects and areas.

Overall texture detail is pretty sub par on certain objects, but character and enemy details look great, and the lighting is pretty nice.

Sweet FX lumasharpen is my best friend when running TAA anti-aliasing, and it works wonders with TEW2.

Really, really liking the game so far. Tango has done a wonderful job addressing the many issues I had with the first game.

Jesus. So much for 60@1080p on my 1070.

rtcn63

Damn. Well they did eventually improve the performance of the first game (ignoring the framepacing issues), so let's cross our fingers. They're allowed some time.

Fucking Idtech.

Jesus. So much for 60@1080p on my 1070.

The key thing is that there is no microstutter or frame pacing issues this time around, so sub 60 fps actually looks pretty good without any jutters or performance hiccups thus far, even in open areas with many enemies on screen at once.

The first game was a disaster in this regard, imo. I still can't run it well at all.

rtcn63

Some guy with a 970 & 2600k only had 80% GPU usage so it seems to be a CPU bottleneck that is preventing a lot of people from reaching a decent framerate.

The 2600k (presuming OC'd) is close to a modern core i5 so this still does not bode well.

napata

The 2600k (presuming OC'd) is close to a modern core i5 so this still does not bode well.

Indeed, his 2600k only got him to ~40-45 fps so that tells me there won't be a lot of people getting 60+ fps.

I have an i7 4771 @ 3.5 GHz and a Titan XP overclocked and still can't hit stable 60 fps at 4K.

That's to be expected. If a 2600k only reaches 40-45 fps then your CPU won't pull off 60 fps. Lower your resolution to 720p & low settings and you will probably still get the same framerate.

nOoblet16

These god damn micro stutters man, I'm running at locked 60FPS and then something would happen like a camera pan or just me turning and it'll stutter for a fraction of a second before going back to normal.

It's super annoying because it happens once like every 20-30 seconds when I'm coming across new stuff like new room, characters etc, so unless I've spent some time in the room already I'm always facing them.

I bet this is something to do with how they stream textures.

Running a GTX 1080/i7 6700K at 1440P/Ultra/max fov

The key thing is that there is no microstutter or frame pacing issues this time around, so sub 60 fps actually looks pretty good without any jutters or performance hiccups thus far, even in open areas with many enemies on screen at once.

The first game was a disaster in this regard, imo. I still can't run it well at all.
Well I'm having microstutters.

rtcn63

So... does the game run at 1080p/60fps/low on a 970ish card, and does it at least look alright? I'll accept TEW1 levels of graphical fidelity.

nOoblet16

Womp, another idtech5 (+ fork) port. Really wish they had just used idtech6... or UE4.
id tech 6 is just an idtech 5 fork as well. Just because it's name is a higher number id tech, doesn't mean it's written from scratch and different from something like Void or STEM . idtech 6 shows that you can have an engine built on idTech 5 that performs fantastically.

It's just that it's id that made idTech 6 and they have genius like Tiago, so they were probably able to overcome all issues from idTech 5 altogether.

Truant

I'm playing on a TV with VSYNC, so it's a locked 60fps or bust. Any fluctuation is virtually unplayable.

Some guy with a 970 & 2600k only had 80% GPU usage so it seems to be a CPU bottleneck that is preventing a lot of people from reaching a decent framerate.

Interesting. I have a i7 6700K myself, so maybe it won't be too bad.

ShogunX

These god damn micro stutters man, I'm running at locked 60FPS and then something would happen like a camera pan or just me turning and it'll stutter for a fraction of a second before going back to normal.

It's super annoying because it happens once like every 20-30 seconds when I'm coming across new stuff like new room, characters etc, so unless I've spent some time in the room already I'm always facing them.

I bet this is something to do with how they stream textures.

Running a GTX 1080/i7 6700K at 1440P/Ultra/max fov

Well I'm having microstutters.

Happened a lot with Resident Evil 7. No actual quality change between very high and medium texture settings but rather the streaming was different and knocking the setting down fixed the stuttering issues.

nOoblet16

Happened a lot with Resident Evil 7. No actual quality change between very high and medium texture settings but rather the streaming was different and knocking the setting down fixed the stuttering issues.
Game has no setting for textures.

I'll enable LOD now and see if that does anything.

GavinUK86

So... does the game run at 1080p/60fps/low on a 970ish card, and does it at least look alright? I'll accept TEW1 levels of graphical fidelity.

No, not really. Constant drops and stutters everywhere.

If you're referring to me, I don't think there's any bottlenecking going on. The game is barely using my i7 2600k or my 970 yet it still isn't anywhere near a steady 60fps even on low. There's something wrong with the engine in my opinion.

J_Viper

To quote Sebastian, "what the fuck?" at these requirements

I was hoping a 1070 would handle this at 1440p/60 with no issues.

I'm playing on a TV with VSYNC, so it's a locked 60fps or bust. Any fluctuation is virtually unplayable.

Me, too, and I usually am super sensitive to fluctuations, but not so here.

I just locked to 45 fps, and it will occasionally fall to 40, but it is very smooth.

I notice fluctuations a lot more if I'm at 60 fps and it can't maintain it.

Truant

If you're referring to me, I don't think there's any bottlenecking going on. The game is barely using my i7 2600k or my 970 yet it still isn't anywhere near a steady 60fps even on low. There's something wrong with the engine in my opinion.

Have you tried messing with processor priority in the task menu?

EDIT: We should try messaging Bethesda or Tango on Twitter. I know GAF was partially to thank for making Arkane fix the performance issues in Dishonored 2 by messaging the team.

GavinUK86

Have you tried messing with processor priority in the task menu?

Yup, even tried unparking all the cores to make sure there wasn't any bottlenecks. Sure, the CPU is a bit long in the tooth, but in this case, I don't think that's what the issue is.

But I would love to see someone with a newer CPU and a 970 try it out. See if they get widely different results.

Kudo

At least TVs handle upscaling well so playing 1080p won't be that big of a deal.. Can you cap it at 30 without RTSS?

Truant

Yup, even tried unparking all the cores to make sure there wasn't any bottlenecks. Sure, the CPU is a bit long in the tooth, but in this case, I don't think that's what the issue is.

Alright. I'll try it out as soon as it launches here in Norway, and report back. I have the same card as you, but a newer CPU.

I'm playing the first game with my girlfriend, and we have to finish the last four chapters before we can play 2. I guess it'll be alright if I just fire it up to benchmark.

kodecraft

I played TEW1 on a base PS4 it can only be an improvement

I feel you though. I'm waiting on the game to unlock over here so I can test settings was hoping for stable 1080p/60fps on a 1060/6GB.

It's the engine though that's causing the optimization troubles. The graphics sure as hell aren't the reason.

GavinUK86

Alright. I'll try it out as soon as it launches here in Norway, and report back. I have the same card as you, but a newer CPU.

I'm playing the first game with my girlfriend, and we have to finish the last four chapters before we can play 2. I guess it'll be alright if I just fire it up to benchmark.

Oh cool. Yeah, let us know how you get on.

GavinUK86

As a bit of a test, I switched the game to 720p windowed mode, put everything on it's absolute lowest just check how it ran. Hovers around 65-70FPS and only using 41% of my GPU and 45-50% of my CPU. That ain't right.

Truant

As a bit of a test, I switched the game to 720p windowed mode, put everything on it's absolute lowest just check how it ran. Hovers around 65-70FPS and only using 41% of my GPU and 45-50% of my CPU. That ain't right.

What sort of utilization do you get if you max out the settings and resolution? Maybe use DSR if you're capped at 1440p natively.

GavinUK86

What sort of utilization do you get if you max out the settings and resolution? Maybe use DSR if you're capped at 1440p natively.

Can't start up DSR because I'd have to quit the game but switching everything to Ultra, GPU usage only bumps up to ~65% and CPU ~70%. And that's rounding up. I can't see any visible reason for the framerate tanking like it does.

Someone asked earlier, but is the in-game vsync fine if you're looking to lock it at 30? Like no noticeable framepacing?

Seems ok. Using RTSS evens it all out.

rtcn63

Someone asked earlier, but is the in-game vsync fine if you're looking to lock it at 30? Like no noticeable framepacing?

Josman

I don't get it, is it a good port or a mediocre one? why are people calling it a nice port when a 970 can't even reach stable FPS? Is it reasonable to expect my 4670k and 1070 to reach 1080p60fps on high and no drops?

Sanctuary

Does the game support HDR by any chance?

Someone in this thread said it looks like it doesn't, but the promotional material says that it is supposed to, and an early preview of the PC version from August said that they were playing it with HDR (maybe it wasn't even on, and the person playing was under a placebo). I'm more curious to whether or not HDR will work with any resolution other than 4K however.

At least TVs handle upscaling well so playing 1080p won't be that big of a deal.. Can you cap it at 30 without RTSS?

Not really. There's a huge difference between having the game rendered at 1080p and "upscaled" through the TV, and 1440p - 2160p. 1080p is way too soft.

d00d3n

Anyone else having the game breaking cutscene audio desync bug? The game worked in the first interactive section, but the cutscene in the diner/bar that follows has completely desynced audio. The woman speaks when Sebastian is supposed to speak and vice versa.

I guess this may have to do with running the game in unlimited fps on a gsync display? Or maybe something related to running ultrawide/high fov? Everything is maxed, except disabled chromatic aberration, disabled camera motion blur, running in 2560*1080 resolution.

Specs: Titan X Pascal, 5820k@4.5, 16 gb RAM, windows 10

amrod

Anyone else having the game breaking cutscene audio desync bug? The game worked in the first interactive section, but the cutscene in the diner/bar that follows has completely desynced audio. The woman speaks when Sebastian is supposed to speak and vice versa.

I guess this may have to do with running the game in unlimited fps on a gsync display? Or maybe something related to running ultrawide/high fov? Everything is maxed, except disabled chromatic aberration, disabled camera motion blur, running in 2560*1080 resolution.

Specs: Titan X Pascal, 5820k@4.5, 16 gb RAM, windows 10

I got same problem now

Paragon

Custom resolutions via the NVIDIA Control Panel.
  1. You need to disable DSR as it can't be enabled at the same time as custom resolutions.
  2. When adding a custom resolution, change the timing from 'automatic' to 'manual' before you touch anything else to keep the signal being sent to your monitor the same.
  3. Set the rendering resolution in the 'display mode' section.
Here's what 1920x800 on a 1080p display should look like:
custom-resq5sgc.png

Running on both my rigs, living room VR rig ( GTX1080 and i7 4790K at 4.5Ghz) and gaming room rig ( TXP SLI and i7 5930K at 4.4Ghz).

The living room rig plugged into the living room 4KTV, abysmal framerates hovering around 35-40fps at High/FOV at 90. Weirdly enough, dropping the game to Medium or Low does not improve performance whatsoever. Ultra tanks it down further to 30fps. I've settled on capping RTSS at 30 and leaving it at High. The game seems to hold above 30fps, with V-Sync set to half-rate, and felt smooth to me. No stutters so far, and I've been scavenging Union town for parts.

The gaming room rig, no joy on SLI. Framerates in the mid 40s at High when ran in 4K, rose to low 50s on High at 3440x1440 ultrawide. The ultrawide monitor has G-Sync (the 4K monitor doesn't) to smoothen out the dips and low 50s framerates, so I'm not worried there.

Compared to the first game, no stutters here, particularly on the living room rig. I'm a stickler for higher framerates, but despite the 30fps frame capping via RTSS, it felt smooth to me. Also, the game seems very picky with my overclocks, even with a modest +190 on core and +380 on memory on the GTX1080. Crashed and locked the rig twice while streaming. Didn't have any problems with other games in my library, even with a more aggressive OC curve. Left the 1080 on stock at the moment.

I can't seem to get GPU usage/power above ~80% no matter the settings. CPU load is fairly low too in the teens on most threads. It feels like the original TEW where the engine itself was the bottleneck. Medium settings across the board give me 60fps 99% of the time at 1440p and 1800p. Performance at 4K at similar settings hovers around 55fps. Again, no matter what, GPU usage tops out at ~80%. So, it's a matter of figuring out what resolution/settings I can get away with up to about 80% GPU and 20% CPU load. I'm not sure whether you could brute force it to a locked 4K/60fps + ultra settings with hardware twice as fast. Probably not.

7700K @ 4.6Ghz
1080ti @ 2038Mhz
32GB DDR4 3200
SSD
Win 10 x64 Pro

Going to wait for the Digital Foundry verdict on this one before I pick it up then. Looks like waiting to play on Xbox One X may be better than playing on my Pc, but we shall see I what they think I guess.

dan2026

This seems like a really shittily optimised game.
I can't get a stable 60fps no matter what settings I adjust.
And it stutters.

Top Bottom