• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 Previews come pouring in (impressions, gameplay videos, etc)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
There was a video for a new bit of footage, but it was a bit preemptive as there was just a media blowout and I think the previews deserve their own thread.

The area the press got to play was a brand new location not playable previously, it was about a 40-60 minute slice of the game in the Town Hall which featured puzzle elements, two boss battles, and takes place in around Chapter 4 of the main game.

There's a BUNCH of new footage in almost all of these articles, but won't link to them, focusing on the previews and impressions as the game releases now in 22 days from now.

Venturebeat: Horror so well done that you can't look away
(...)It was one of the weirdest boss fights I've ever encountered in a game. But it doesn't surprise me. Whoever comes up with stuff is deranged. And I'm sure that they are very proud of themselves that they can scare me so bad by using all the old tricks in the book.

If you're squeamish, you better watch out for this one. But if you think you can stomach the gore, The Evil Within 2 will show you just what it takes to do survival horror the right way.

Games Radar - An intriguing blend of The Last of Us and Silent Hill
Fewer boo scares, more insanity - this is a refined, smart evolution of The Evil Within. And even though it still scares the hell out of me, it's something I'm incredibly excited to play.

wjbwCWqgSUHfKpkAb9a6v5-650-80.jpg

Game Revolution - Weaving a Tapestry of Horror
It had me on edge the entire time, representative of the level as a whole. It got me in the spooky fall mood, and has me actually interested in The Evil Within 2 when I wasn't before.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - How The Evil Within 2 tries to be an open world b-movie
I will accept the game as whole's apparent absence of wit and over-reliance on Oh No Yet Another Horrible Thing if it really is the case that I can burn through my own private hell for kicks over a lunchtime. I'm not interested in repeatedly screaming at things made of bones and sundered flesh and teeth and spikes all put together in the wrong order, but I am interested in trotting off to a random compass point and surviving whatever horrors lurk behind the next door I choose to open.

Stevivor - The Evil Within 2 Laughing in the face of Resident Evil 7
The original Evil Within was a breath of fresh air in an otherwise stale genre, and The Evil Within 2 looks to be polished beyond that. It's a must-play for fans of survival horror and another injection of pure Mikami straight into our veins. It can't come fast enough.

theevilwithin-heads.webp

RelyOnHorror
The Evil Within 2 shares a lot in common with the first game, from how it moves, sounds and plays, but a sense of change also permeates the game, and I'm curious to see whether that's ultimately for the best. In my time with the demo, there wasn't much for me to complain about. Aside from some occasional performance hitches and my still on-the-fence stance regarding the game's less-gritty art direction, The Evil Within 2 appeals to my enjoyment of excess gross-out horror similarly to the first game. There's no denying that The Evil Within 2 feels bigger and more adventurous — is that a good thing for a survival horror game, though? We'll see.

The-Evil-Within-2-Gameplay.png

Polygon
At this point it all feels familiar, even old fashioned. The voice acting is is trifle forced, the characters are a bit silly. And yet The Evil Within 2 manages to create a sense of fear and tension, even when it's raiding the hoary old chest of fright-moments. Mikami understands light, sound and fear.

Daily Start - The Evil Within 2 could be the survival-horror game to usurp Resident Evil and Silent Hill
It's more like a psychological thriller than an outright horror game, but you know what? That's OK. Because the game manages to ramp up the tension when it needs to, it manages to dish out just enough resources to make it challenging, without making it easy. It manages to convincingly trick you with camera mechanics and sound design fake-outs enough that you're always on your toes. It manages to deliver an authentically creepy story with enough intriguing mysteries to keep you invested.

So it's not an all-out horror game. But it retains all the gameplay tenets that'll keep players in the genre interested whilst allowing itself the flexibility to experiment.

And that's why we've come away from The Evil Within 2 cautiously optimistic about the final release.
The-Evil-Within-2_24.png

PC World - The Evil Within 2 is an artistic approach to horror
Do I think The Evil Within 2 is going to be a must-play experience? Eh, probably not. In a lot of ways it still feels like a B-game, same as the original. Even with a more polished presentation it's comfortably niche.

But for those who felt like the first had some good ideas buried under terrible decisions—people like me, in other words—I think The Evil Within 2 is going to be an interesting proposition. A lot of elements have been reworked, and a lot of the clunkiness hammered out in the process. What's left, at least from my limited hands-on time, is a wonderfully artistic take on horror, and one that can focus on those elements because it's better at switching off between action and survival as needed. I'm intrigued enough that, as I said, I even reinstalled the original and have been trying to force myself through it before the sequel releases October 13.

Now cross your fingers that the checkpoint system this time around isn't an utter disaster.
TEW2_CreatingUnion_Wading.png

NZGamer
By all accounts, Tango Gameworks have learnt from the first game's glaring mechanical issues. But they're also doubling down on the franchise's unique identity, with horrifying monsters and oppressive environments. We'll know come October 13 if The Evil Within 2 has pulled it off.
The-Evil-Within-2_287.jpg

Rolling Stone
Even with the small amount of time I spent inside The Evil Within 2, it's obvious that this is going to be a disturbing, perhaps frightening creation.

Shack News
There seems to be a lot to be scared of with The Evil Within 2. It looks to be hitting all the survival horror notes right, offering up improved combat while also downplaying that element of the game in favor of creating a generally more frightful atmosphere. Whether Sebastian's journey will remain this enjoyable the whole way remains to be seen, but players will soon be able to pick up his investigation for themselves when The Evil Within 2 arrives on PC, Xbox One, and PlayStation on Friday, October 13.

Gamewatcher
It was only a short, sweet burst of The Evil Within 2, but it already seems a much better game (than the original). No idea if it'll be just as hard to follow, storyline-wise, but in terms of gameplay it's both creepy and entertaining. Pure action fans expecting Resident Evil 4 or Dead Space might be a little put-off by the stealth and lack of ammo (at least in the part I played), but survival horror fans looking for actual big budget horror? They should be delighted.
TEW2_CreatingUnion_StefanoHallway.png

Adding this one too, though it's not from the same preview the rest of them played (it's impressions from the demo build which was playable at Gamescom, PAX, QuakeCon, etc., aka older build of Chapters 2 & 3, while the rest of the previews here are from Chapter 4):
The Evil Within 2 loses its fear factor when it goes open world
It is early doors yet, and, given how effectively the image of a rigid mouth stuffed with skin and bones has burrowed its way into my subconscious, I have no doubt that Mikami's latest will have some considerable staying power when it releases on October 13. But whether any of that horror muscle will be exhibited in The Evil Within 2's open-world areas remains to be seen.

---

Lot of videos too with a LOT of gameplay.

Polygon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtSLhJ6ZFdc
Rely on Horror: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7LV43OdUKI
Shack News: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=008Ji8ffIKs
Rock, Paper, Shotgun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlMD2BMv4Sk
IGN: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLgU32Pxbtw
IGN (Boss 1 Gameplay): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJO53cvtJ5o
IGN (Boss 2 Gameplay): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsW538f5ql4
GameSpot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1LT1vp6CZk

And there's a LOT more gameplay from the various sources as well.

Courage

Then I stumbled off the beaten track, and found what could be, if handled with consistent verve, EW2's redemptive masterstroke. If I'm reading it right from that hour, it's not one 12 hour b-movie, but rather a confetti-scattering of capsule b-movies, to be discovered and experienced in an order of your choosing. I.e. ”Today I'm going to go over there into that part of town or that house or that sinister basement hatch and have a mini, semi-self-contained Resident Evily experience for 45 minutes." That I am absolutely down for.

omg

I feel like I've been asking for a game like this since RE4.

Dusk Golem

Added a few of the gameplay videos at the bottom, but there's another topic for that so not nearly all of them, and trust me there's a lot of gameplay.

omg

I feel like I've been asking for a game like this since RE4.

What preview was that from, I know Rock, Paper, Shotgun mentioned they really liked exploring the open-world locations since there was some real surprises in store such as
an armory they entered which turned into a trap-ridden maze they weren't expecting
, but said their favorite part was exploring and experiencing B-movie like scenes, so it sounds like it's from there. Haven't had a chance to read them all thoroughly yet.

Courage

What preview was that from, I know Rock, Paper, Shotgun mentioned they really liked exploring the open-world locations since there was some real surprises in store such as
an armory they entered which turned into a trap-ridden maze they weren't expecting
, but said their favorite part was exploring and experiencing B-movie like scenes, so it sounds like it's from there. Haven't had a chance to read them all thoroughly yet.

yep it's RPS

Stygr

Banned
Oh boy this looks so promising, let's hope the PC version is on point this time, still ID TECH 5 or UE4?

Was on a blackout, but peeking my head in here like a dummy.

Anyone care to give me a quick high-level summary of reactions so far? Improvment? More of the same? Etc.

g11

Man, the impressions talking about it being kind of open-worldy, little horror vignettes to stumble upon and experience like segments of Creep Show or Tales from the Crypt sounds like a kind of awesome I never even considered, but now I really want to try. I never played the first one but I might try to rush through it before Oct. and maybe pick up TEW2 on digitally once reviews are out.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Yoooo i watched small snippets of footage, didnt spoil myself but holy hell this is going to be my game of the year. It looks 10x better than the first and looks like the addressed all of my issues as well.

I'm refusing to watch anything else but daaaamn those impressions

This game is going to be one of the greats. First game was amazing but bogged down with technical issues and some weaker chapters in the later sections

EW2 and Wolfenstein 2 are going to destroy everything

Dusk Golem

I think this somewhat not-as-positive one from PCGamesN should also be considered

PCGamesN - The Evil Within 2 loses its fear factor when it goes open world
https://www.pcgamesn.com/the-evil-within-2/the-evil-within-2-open-world-gameplay

"Union's open-world residential area is where The Evil Within 2 loses its fear factor. It isn't devoid of creeps, but it is worlds apart from the taut and gruesome set-pieces that open the demo."

I'll add it, but this actually isn't from the same preview event and is an older demo. The PCGamesN preview is from Chapters 2 & 3, which are what previous previews were from (aka, the demo that was playable at PAX, Gamescom, Quakecon, etc.), while all of the other previews in this topic are based on a completely different slice of the game (Chapter 4) which was playable in NYC at a special Bethesda event.

Jawmuncher

offering up improved combat while also downplaying that element of the game in favor of creating a generally more frightful atmosphere

I don't like the sound of that. Were they lying about being able to choose a more action focus?

Man, having pockets of B-horror mini adventures sounds exactly what I was hoping they would do with the Union setting.

2017 continues to be an amazing year.

silva1991

The original Evil Within was a breath of fresh air in an otherwise stale genre, and The Evil Within 2 looks to be polished beyond that. It’s a must-play for fans of survival horror and another injection of pure Mikami straight into our veins. It can’t come fast enough.

Hmmmmm, i liked TEW1 alot and thought it was very good, but.... outside of the first few chapters it failed hard as a horror game.

I really hope this game is more like the early parts of the first game.

Shack News's impressions sounds good .

rtcn63

I don't like the sound of that. Were they lying about being able to choose a more action focus?

... In agreement here. Rise of the Tomb Raider did something like this. Rise of the Tomb Raider was effectively a walking simulator compared to the first game (and on the hardest difficulty).

Dusk Golem

Man, having pockets of B-horror mini adventures sounds exactly what I was hoping they would do with the Union setting.

2017 continues to be an amazing year.

I'm very happy with how the side stuff is turning out, I was a bit apprehensive when side-quest were first announced, but it sounds like they've taken the best possible path with them honestly.

Hmmmmm, i liked TEW1 alot and thought it was very good, but.... outside of the first few chapters it failed hard as a horror game.

I really hope this game is more like the early parts of the first game.

Shack News's impressions sounds good .

I'l disagree a bit as Chapters 9 and 10 were the scariest/tensest part of the game for me and the highlight of the whole experience in my opinion, but for what it's worth the more open ended areas may in some ways call back to the earlier chapters of TEW.

To be seen, though I do wonder since we know there's limited ammo, given Sebastian does seem to have a better melee this time with the knife as a back-up, and as a one chapter demo they couldn't explore/horde items or anything. At the very least it seems most are in agreement the gunplay itself has improved,

I'm already dead set on blindly buying this(Loved the first despite it's many and obvious flaws) but these previews are definitely getting me a bit excited.

Erevador

When the game was first announced I remember saying I felt it would be the Silent Hill 2 of the franchise.

Everything I'm hearing really does suggest that, with something of the Silent Hill 1 town exploration thrown in for good measure.

This is exactly the horror game I want right now. I had been starting to give up hope that I would ever get a game quite like this again.

Skytylz

Banned
Pretty excited for this game. Really liked the first despite its flaws.

DIdn't know about the open world change. Could be cool.

Hopefully the last of us comparison was just because the journalist doesn't have many frames of reference for 3rd person action games. Not sure there's anything from that game that I'd want borrowed.

Orb

Even though they didn't make us suffer nearly as long waiting for this game... these days are starting to drag.

I need to play this.
Its somehow worse when it releases so close to reveal because I can't ignore it's existance for years, I have to be reminded every few days it's coming out so soon, so it's a stream of unending hype building up constantly.

Orb

When the game was first announced I remember saying I felt it would be the Silent Hill 2 of the franchise.

Everything I'm hearing really does suggest that, with something of the Silent Hill 1 town exploration thrown in for good measure.

This is exactly the horror game I want right now. I had been starting to give up hope that I would ever get a game quite like this again.
Itd be pretty hard for this to be worse than the first
:)

Looking mostly good so far even if I'm a bit torn on the more open levels that will be seen throughout the first part of the game. I needed to go dark on Odyssey since I know that game is going to be a masterpiece but I'll still read info on this game at least.

To be seen, though I do wonder since we know there's limited ammo, given Sebastian does seem to have a better melee this time with the knife as a back-up, and as a one chapter demo they couldn't explore/horde items or anything. At the very least it seems most are in agreement the gunplay itself has improved,

I wonder, what could really be "improved" about it? I think the shooting in TEW already worked well. Are they planning on giving you more guns/types of ammo for your crossbow?

Itd be pretty hard for this to be worse than the first
:)

Being worse than an 8/10 seems rather easy, actually...

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Damn, the game looks crazy good. My most anticipated release for the remaining year easily...disregarding The Frozen Wilds

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Three weeks from tomorrow baby!!! Can't wait!!! The Evil Within was a good 8.5/10 for me personally and the best survival horror game since RE4. Fully expecting TEW2 to match or surpass my personal rating and easily be better than RE7. Let's go, let's go, let's go!!!

Top Bottom