• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 Previews come pouring in (impressions, gameplay videos, etc)

JPS Kai

As someone that needs to finally play through the first Psycho Break, are any of the DLC packs essential for story context or can I skip all of that once I finish the main game?

Mifec

As someone that needs to finally play through the first Psycho Break, are any of the DLC packs essential for story context or can I skip all of that once I finish the main game?

Most of the story is in files in the 2 part Kidman DLC. So it's essential.

Mifec

That's The Assignment/Consequence, right? What about The Executioner?
Yup those two. The explain some of the ending stuff in 1 and set up the second bigger villain.

I never played the Executioner but I'm pretty sure that's a self contained 1st person melee action thingy with it's own story that doesn't impact TEW2.

UrbanRats

That's The Assignment/Consequence, right? What about The Executioner?

Executioner also adds tiny bits of story, but definitely not essential (it's kind of fun tho, and super short, i'd give that a shot if you get the season pass).
To be played last, of course, to avoid spoilers.

Do you need to have played the first one to know what's happening?

Even if you play the first game you may not know what's happening, so no. But you need to play it because it's an awesome game.

Why is all the press giving the credit to Mikami tho

Because he's still very involved with the game, shepherding the new director along (as is the whole point of why he made the studio) and is the recognizable name at the studio. Like Aonuma with Zelda, for example. He hasn't directed in ages but the same thing happens with him.

Drewfonse

2-3. of the previews reference The last of us when describing some of the feel/mechanics of the open world and character designs. I did not expect that. This really is shaping up nicely.

Mifec

2-3. of the previews reference The last of us when describing some of the feel/mechanics of the open world and character designs. I did not expect that. This really is shaping up nicely.

Yeah Union really reminds me of Bill's town, the crafting benches and sneak kills all feel like TLOU. Kinda same with the "lost".

How is this different from the first one? I had really high hopes for it but I feel the game focused on everything but what I wanted it to. The burning mechanic was a real pain.

Mifec

How is this different from the first one? I had really high hopes for it but I feel the game focused on everything but what I wanted it to. The burning mechanic was a real pain.

Better controls, hopefully better engine. Stealth is more like the DLC, big open areas to explore with small stories in between the linear main story parts. It's not crossgen this time. Match mechanic is gone.

Better controls, hopefully better engine. Stealth is more like the DLC, big open areas to explore with small stories in between the linear main story parts. It's not crossgen this time. Match mechanic is gone.

That sounds like great changes. I'm not sure about the stealth though since that was my least favorite part of that game tbh. Didn't play the DLC.

Mifec

That sounds like great changes. I'm not sure about the stealth though since that was my least favorite part of that game tbh. Didn't play the DLC.

They added a stick to cover and move around cover mechanic in the DLC.

They also added a whole host of new upgrades, spoilers obv

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=249363195&postcount=353

Here's a writeup by Dusk about the game in general http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=248840051&postcount=1

Top Bottom