• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 Previews come pouring in (impressions, gameplay videos, etc)

rtcn63

I'll be honest, I paid like zero attention to the story of the first game. And I was fine with the weird, irregular dialogue by the characters. It fit the atmosphere.

Seb talks too much in the TEW2 previews. All I can hear is Christian Bale's Batman with Iron Fist's level of writing.

Gator86

I'll be honest, I paid like zero attention to the story of the first game. And I was fine with the weird, irregular dialogue by the characters. It fit the atmosphere.

Seb talks too much in the TEW2 previews. All I can hear is Christian Bale's Batman with Iron Fist's level of writing.

Without a doubt, the single most off-putting thing I've heard about this game thus far.

Welp I was thinking of maybe waiting until November to get this what with already having preorders for South Park, Mario and Wolfy which are absolute day ones for me but fuck this looks so damn good.

I suppose since it's out earlier in the month, I could likely pay through before Mario & Wolfenstein and delay playing South Park for a bit.

Yep. Didn't really try to understand the story of the first game and just took everything at face value and none of it bothered me. I didn't play the game for the story and I'm not sure how I feel about TEW2's great focus on a more cohesive narrative. I'm definitely not a fan of the new actor.

kc44135

These impressions seem good so far, but... I wonder if this will review better than the first game? I mean, it looks way more polished and refined both technically and mechanically when compared to the first game (they also got rid of the black bars of doom that so many people hated), and it seems to be much more ambitious, with a lot of really cool, unique ideas. I seem to remember Evil Within getting like a 70 something on Metacritic, and being very polarizing amongst those who played it, overall. I would love for this to get critical acclaim, and for Evil Within to be seen by most folks as the next great horror game franchise.

Still, horror games can polarizing in general, and I suppose you never know how any game will turn out until you've played it, so I dunno. Hoping for the best, nonetheless.

Scoops312

Banned
I'm definitely getting more excited for this, especially after finding the first game to be such a mediocre experience. A lot of it has to do with the Silent Hill: Downpour style hub world. Taking in the atmosphere and scrounging for supplies has always been my favorite part in horror games, so knowing there's an entire town for me to do that in is awesome, I wish more horror games would do it.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I haven't watched any footage since the reveal trailer but base on the impression here so far so good.

Yep. Didn't really try to understand the story of the first game and just took everything at face value and none of it bothered me. I didn't play the game for the story and I'm not sure how I feel about TEW2's great focus on a more cohesive narrative. I'm definitely not a fan of the new actor.

Don't feel bad. It is a very extensive deep storyline. There's long videos on YouTube explaining the story and its DLC which is the true ending to the first EW. Having a full comprehension after those videos, it is still staggering. They fully went all out with the first game.

Mifec

Options screen on PC

xFC3l.jpg

xFC5a.jpg

xFC6j.jpg

xFC7l.jpg

I couldn't make it through the first game, out of sheer lack of enjoyment, but I love the genre so I'm glad to hear this sounds better

Bizzquik

Question about the first game: Does it get any less trippy after the 5th chapter?

I played 5 of the 16 chapters and it just felt too meta for me so I stopped; a dream within a dream / inception type of stuff....whereas I wanted a more straightforward horror story. (*cough* REmake *cough*)
....would love an excuse to dive back in.

Question about the first game: Does it get any less trippy after the 5th chapter?

I played 5 of the 16 chapters and it just felt too meta for me so I stopped; a dream within a dream / inception type of stuff....whereas I wanted a more straightforward horror story. (*cough* REmake *cough*)

Nope.

Don't feel bad. It is a very extensive deep storyline. There's long videos on YouTube explaining the story and its DLC which is the true ending to the first EW. Having a full comprehension after those videos, it is still staggering. They fully went all out with the first game.

It's a shame much of the story was cordoned off into the DLC. The main game had hints to be sure, but it was abstract and cursory in the worst way. I can't really blame those who played only the core game for walking away with a poor impression.

rtcn63

TEW is basically a series of dreams. You are Seb and Seb is you. You the player are usually just as disoriented and in-the-dark as to what's going on as he is.

As for his general indifference:
He's a veteran detective who believed he lost his wife and daughter. He's already been to hell once. He may not have ever left.
This new, more emotionally open Seb is just off to me.

No...I mean the whole premise of the game is "horror inception".

I still really don't know about this one. I loved the gameplay in the "mini open world" we got a few weeks ago, but the more linear stuff still reminds me of the annoying elements of the first game.

I hope that we get some definitive info on how many of the crappy bits from the first game (bad camera, overabundant instant kills and traps, awkward chase sequences, poor stealth sequences, etc) have made their way into the sequel.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Several YouTubers also played this drmo at the event it seems, may post some of the impressions-based ones a bit later but not for the moment.

Mifec

Intreview from TGS, translated and summarized by resident evie on tumblr.

TEW 2 TGS live stage
(TGS TEW 2 Live stage: my very very vague summary w/ paraphrasing)

Interviewer asks if the link between the Ordinary World lyrics and TEW was intentional, JJ: we didn’t really think that hard about it

Interview; what’s the white goop? JJ: it’s high concept

Interviewer: why did Mobius make STEM? JJ: that will be expanded on this time

Interviewer: why is Lily involved? JJ: STEM needs a core, this time it’s Sebastian’s daughter who he thought was dead.

Interviewer: Anything weird can happen in STEM like last time right? JJ: It’s all in your head.

Interviewer: Mikami san did you go with the STEM concept so you can make anything you want happen? Mikami: yes & expanded on this time

Interviewer: Mikami san this time you decided to make John san director because of the DLCs? Mikami: he’s a great creator

Interview: how old are you? JJ: 31 Mikami: you’ve been doing this 7 years.

(note: I quite like Sebastian’s Japanese voice, but Kidman sounds much older. Stefano also sounds great.)

Interviewer: what is gameplay like JJ: ammo is scarce, you can sneak if you want Interviewer: do some enemies have to be handled certain ways ie sneak no good, only shotgun works? JJ: we focused on giving player flexibility as much as possible, running away is one option

Interviewer: what’s the crossbow JJ: same as last time but you can set wire traps by shooting bolts into walls, there are different bolts like last time

Interviewer: (showing Obscura) what is this? JJ: Stefano’s creature. The staff love it a lot

Interviewer: so enemies like Stefano show up in this “Lily-STEM”..? JJ: she’s the core but she’s gone missing. the core is missing so the world is collapsing and strong characters are trying to take over and make weird worlds of their own

Interviewer: Mikami is producer did he say what to put in? JJ: we had freedom but he asked for gruesome deaths for Sebastian so we made creatures to fit that Mikami: I trust and leave it up to the director Interviewer: how is it having Mikami san being producer? JJ: sometimes we argue Mikami: he doesn’t take all my ideas JJ: sorry I’m picky

Interviewer: how does the communicator work? JJ: talk to kidman and search for resonances (残留 【ざんりゅう】 (n,vs,adj-no) staying behind; remaining; residual; 思念 【しねん】 (n,vs) thought) JJ: not everything you investigate will be good/helpful so it’s risk and reward

Mikami: focused on making a bigger horror field with player freedom.

Interviewer: i heard the story gets good in the second half Mikami: Yes it is really really good you will be moved and cry. You have to play it to the end.

Interviewer: you recommend casual mode? JJ: we made it for people who want to enjoy the story since survival horror has a reputation for being difficult

Interviewer: it sounds a little adventure/rpg ish Mikami: new type of horror

Interviewer: you don’t have to have played 1? Both: it’s fine

Interviewer: was that narrator just then (theodore) new? hasn’t really been introduced? JJ: soon, he’s one of major players w/ stefano

Interviewer: any message Mikami san? Mikami: last time there were issues but this time we’ve improved quality and worked on the image quality, it’s quite beautiful, and the story is great, though it’s horror you will cry. JJ: it’s different to last time you can play in your own style, you can make your Sebastian and you can search around the world and play for a long time

These impressions seem good so far, but... I wonder if this will review better than the first game? I mean, it looks way more polished and refined both technically and mechanically when compared to the first game (they also got rid of the black bars of doom that so many people hated), and it seems to be much more ambitious, with a lot of really cool, unique ideas. I seem to remember Evil Within getting like a 70 something on Metacritic, and being very polarizing amongst those who played it, overall. I would love for this to get critical acclaim, and for Evil Within to be seen by most folks as the next great horror game franchise.

Still, horror games can polarizing in general, and I suppose you never know how any game will turn out until you've played it, so I dunno. Hoping for the best, nonetheless.

Eh, many of the best games are polarizing ones. For me, it's one of the top 5 games of the generation. It's at a 75 MC, which isn't a bad score at all. What matters more is that it sells enough to warrant a new game, which is exactly what it did, and here we are mere days away from a hopefully awesome sequel.

xviper

the only game i'm anticipating for the rest of the year, the only way it could surpass RE7 is if they added puzzles and backtracking

I'm actually really excited for this! I played through RE7 earlier this year and had a great time. I can't wait to do a playthrough of this!

dan2026

Don't know whether to get this on PS4 or PC.
The first one was a nightmare on console so I should probably err on the side of caution.

Also Psycho Break is such a cooler title than The Evil Within.
Psycho Break sounds like a cool 80s B movie. Evil Within sounds boring.

Drewfonse

I'm hoping for some nice Pro/4k enhancements. They've confirmed 4k/HDR for the Xbox One X, so hopefully we'll get some Pro Love.

This OCT is truly insane. It's been stated ad nauseum, but TEW2, Shadow of War, AC Origins, Wolfenstein 2, and Mario?

What a month. What a year.

Top Bottom