• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within (PS3/360/PC/NextGen, idtech5, Tango/Bethesda, 2014): [Up: New Info]

AlexBasch

Third-person aiming, guns and I disliked the continuing line in the logo covering the three words.

No sale. Fuck you Mikami.

Just kidding, really liked the design of the safebox-head man or whatever! :p

AlexBasch

for games Mikami directed there is a weird pattern/cycle going on

CCNuWUe.jpg

guess it's a good thing he is not the director on this one.
Dino Crisis and God Hand bad?

Get the hell out and never come back.

And P.N.03

Oh my fucking god. Someone paste that ass gif, I don't have it at the moment.

D-e-f-

Banned
The press release clearly states PS3/360/PC and next gen consoles.

Exactly my point. Despite what internet trolls like to tell themselves, Wii U falls into the latter category.

yes and adding to that; If it was UE3, a port would have been easy.

AFAIK there is no id tech 5 game running on Wii U.

PS4/X720 have similar architecture to PCs.

Seeing the PS3 version of id tech 5 and the amount of bugs on its PC version, I highly doubt Tango Gameworks is going to invest time & money into porting the engine to WiiU, which itself uses an uncommon architecture.

It's not alien technology, though. Wii U "architecture" is more in line with other next gen systems than with last gen stuff (this has been talked to death over the last two years) And it's based on IBM's PowerPC thing, iirc so it's definitely not another Cell situation.

As I said repeatedly, it's unlikely but not impossible.

Sid

Exactly my point. Despite what internet trolls like to tell themselves, Wii U falls into the latter category.

It's not alien technology, though. Wii U "architecture" is more in line with other next gen systems than with last gen stuff (this has been talked to death over the last two years) And it's based on IBM's PowerPC thing, iirc so it's definitely not another Cell situation.

As I said repeatedly, it's unlikely but not impossible.
So I'm trolling now...nope.Many publishers and developers don't consider it next gen,are they trolling according to you?

D-e-f-

Banned
So I'm trolling now...nope.Many publishers and developers don't consider it next gen,are they trolling according to you?

Never said you were trolling. And yes, I kinda think they are in the way they phrase their PR buzz-talk.

legacyzero

Banned
I've never been more ready for the triumphant return of Survival Horror. I'm counting on this game to usher this glorious genre back into it's rightful place.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I can't believe people are raving about this. The trailer is a piece of shit.

I love me some fresh survival(?) horror IPs but that didn't sell me at all.

The ONLY thing you got out of this thread was a trailer?
read more.

I've never been more ready for the triumphant return of Survival Horror. I'm counting on this game to usher this glorious genre back into it's rightful place.

word life!

for games Mikami directed there is a weird pattern/cycle going on

CCNuWUe.jpg

guess it's a good thing he is not the director on this one.

Strange rankings aside.. he really invented modern survival horror (alone in the dark is a veeery different beast), so I'd say you want him involved in a project like this.

Also, he's not the director?

The ONLY thing you got out of this thread was a trailer?
read more.

word life!

...and by read more he means start with the OP before reading through the thread.

Most questions about why people are raving can be answered in the OP
If not, it at least provides context to what people are explaining to the rest of Gaf

sorry for being a d*ck...long sick day at work

basically...
Mikami
Survivor horror
Mikami
next gen mikami survival horror (maybe with Masafumi Takada sprinkled in)

Neiteio

So yeah, I -really- love that live-action trailer. The music is excellent. All of the different shots of the monsters are excellent. Even the simple shots of Sebastian prepping the barbwire has real tension to it.

We can possibly deduce a few things about several monsters from the trailer.

1) "Safe-head" -- The vault he has for a head appears to be filled with writhing tentacles... yet he also walks around carrying a mallet. Perhaps he ensnares his victims with the tentacles and then mashes them to death with the mallet?

2) "Spider-woman" -- Likening her to a spider might not be apt, since she has six limbs (two legs, four arms). At any rate, we see her climbing walls and contorting her body all Exorcism-like in one sequence. We also see her materialize out of a pool of blood. The in-game screenshot of her also shows her surrounded by blood and corpses. Perhaps she teleports from one pool of blood to another?

3) "Glass-man" -- The angry bald fellow who resembles a pincushion of glass shards... May or may not be related to the skinless corpse wrapped in barbwire. We know Sebastian will explore environments filled with traps set by his enemies, and can turn the traps against them. Perhaps in the video, when we see Sebastian clipping the barbwire, we're seeing him turn the Glass-man's trap against him?

I love this stuff. This game, like RE4 before it, seems to be taking everything awesome about the horror genre and condensing it into one amazing game.

I wouldn't count Wii U out because it says "PS3/360/PC/NextGen"

Wii U is "next gen", and they could of easily announced a PS4 version along side PS3/360/PC, so I'd say we wait.

Bethesda has never released a game on a Nintendo system other than two games on Wii, so maybe...Just maybe, Bethesda will be nice enough to give Wii U a chance.

walter.png

Man

ID Tech 5... not sure how I feel about that. What's the advantage of using that engine in a game with intimate environments (mainly streets and hallways, not exactly where megatextures shine). I see they say they have some new lighting tricks up their sleeves (megatextures don't handle dynamic lighting originally).

SparkTR

PC version (piracy) and no online component ("one shot" campaign) kills sales drastically imo.

I really want to see what they've come up with to deal with these problems (if anything).

They don't need online and they're going to release it on Steam, there's the solution. Also I thought we were over this PC piracy crap.

Risette

A Good Citizen
ID Tech 5... not sure how I feel about that. What's the advantage of using that engine in a game with intimate environments (mainly streets and hallways, not exactly where megatextures shine).
Uh what

A game with intricate visual design is exactly where megatextures shine. The main problem with how megatextures were in Rage was because it was too early + too much focus on mummified consoles from 231 BC and not enough focus on the platform where it could shine.

Clott

I wouldn't be able to play this without a friend colse by, from the look of things at least. If they nail the sound design it's going to be torture to play.

Delicious. I will rub this game all over my body. Looks like everything I wanted from a Survival Horror rebirth.

That is a damn good lineup of talent at Tango, I have confidence they are doing good things.

hatchx

Banned
Oh god this game looks so good.

How the hell does my PS3 has such an amazing lineup ahead of it? I bought it a couple weeks before MGS4 released, and Sony, you dem delivered.

-They finish off saying that they want the game to start strong and continue with a growing feel of insecurity to grow as the game goes on. They also mention the game will have an in-depth world, and that you’re being hunted by something mysterious and dark.

RE4 village fight 2.0 please. I want to be thrown to the fucking wolves from the very beginning.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
RE4 village fight 2.0 please. I want to be thrown to the fucking wolves from the very beginning.

My current theory is that this is the beginning of the game after he awakens, supported that it doesn't appear our character has any weapons from the off-set, just a lantern. It is conceptual, but I think this is what they maybe had in mind:

conceptboxmanjpg-5e9932_1024w.jpg

The evil within, one could say it's a... resident evil.
horatio-s-sunglasses-o.gif

Also, it's not happening on Wii U. People need to learn to deal. Publishers aren't "trolling," it's business.

My current theory is that this is the beginning of the game after he awakens, supported that it doesn't appear our character has any weapons from the off-set, just a lantern. It is conceptual, but I think this is what they maybe had in mind:

conceptboxmanjpg-5e9932_1024w.jpg

Aside from the shotgun on his back? ;)

Dusk Golem

stealing from theives I like it
Awww you changed the picture on me

I was looking at that one but changed since it didn't have anything to do with my point. However, it also could be something else as its concept art-ish.

I'm still curious about the screens, as I am sure they weren't supposed to be released since IGN no longer has them up, but I am happy we have them at least to work with a bit more than a teaser for visuals.

Aside from the shotgun on his back? ;)

Pft, I didn't even fully see that. XD Well, there goes my theory.

daveo42

Banned
I do say this does look promising. A little bit of what looks to be old worm charm added in and gotta love the 'man in the box' and what he's doing, though kind of getting a little bit of a pyramid head feel to him. Most likely an alternate version of him while the 4-armed chick is his dead wife/sister he accidentally killed? I'm sure the game's going to be some sort of mind trip, I just hope it doesn't feel or try to be anything like any of the good Silent Hill games (1-4).

Dusk Golem

I don't think this is intentional, but I was discussing with someone at Rely on Horror, we're both excited for the game, but he pointed out the Safe Head looks an awfully lot like something that appeared as an Easter Egg in Silent Hill: Book of Memories:

311088_10151415805758526_1957754340_n.jpg

I don't think it's intentional, in SH:BoM it is obviously a parody of Silent Hill and Pyramid Head, just sort of coincidental with the box-head, hammer weapon, and apron thing.

PC version (piracy) and no online component ("one shot" campaign) kills sales drastically imo.

I really want to see what they've come up with to deal with these problems (if anything).

This... just makes no sense to me. Surely you've seen the kind of numbers games can do on PC? How could having a PC version possibly result in drastically less sales than not having one? I just don't see that at all.

I'm glad this game is using Tech 5 instead of boring old UE3. The screenshots look great, and I like the direction they are heading from the info that's been released.

Momentary

Banned

Piracy on PC doesn't seem as rampant as it used to be. Doesn't seem like the cool thing to do anymore. Everyone I know has an online platform they like to purchase their games through and with all the sales and bundles and lower cost same day releases it's really hard for me to find anyone who does this anymore. The only person I know off hand who still bootlegs is a friend of my brother's who is a 26 year old jobless drunk who lives with his mom...

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaan... I got that feeling in my bones.

Resident Evil 4-2

Probably not in its impact on the industry, but this feels like it can be a game on that scale and with that kind of quality. The team assembled, the budget, the dev time, the publisher backing. I can feel it.

Top Bottom