• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within (PS3/360/PC/NextGen, idtech5, Tango/Bethesda, 2014): [Up: New Info]

Nemesis_

GIFS!

First up, Glassman.

Glassman-WakingUp.gif

Glassman-Scream.gif

Glassman-BarbWire.gif

These are all quick and dirty....so yeah. >_>

The second GIF makes me wonder if Vaulthead is responsible for Glassman's condition.

Neiteio

Hey Dusk, reading your article and it's good so far, but what's to say the man prepping the barbwire in the live-action trailer isn't Sebastian? We know you can turn the traps against your enemies in this game. Here we have this plain-clothes, regular-looking human character (no mass of tentacles for a head, for that matter), obsessively working on traps... Stands to reason it could be Sebastian himself, methodically trying to survive, with all of the other monsters depicting what's hunting him and why he's prepping the trap. That's how I read the trailer from the first time I viewed it. I really don't think he's connected to Vaulthead/Safehead.

Also, I don't recall seeing him smear the blood that spills from his hand -- it just disappears from the picture it falls on, which struck me as an example of a "reality-shifting" moment (like the blood pool flowing in reverse). I took it more to convey the fact he is vulnerable, he bleeds, he's human.

Also also, wasn't there a shot of a creature, other than Vaulthead/Safehead, who had barbwire? I seem to recall associating the man with shards of glass with barbwire, like there was a shot of him knotting it. Hmm.

EDIT: YEP! The glass-man is seen knotting barbwire in the GIF right above me!

I think a fair bit of your speculation is off, Dusk Golem! :O

Neiteio

Based on the art and screenshots, Glassman looks too weighty to be Seb.

Maybe it's his angry partner!?!@1 =O
No, I'm saying the characters in the live-action trailer are as follows:

- Man tinkering at table: Sebastian, obsessively and methodically working on barbwire, turning an enemy's trap against his enemy.
- Glass-man: The monster, seen knotting barbwire in the GIF you posted, who Sebastian is turning his trap against.
- Reborn Girl: Another monster on the prowl, searching for Sebastian.
- Vaulthead: Another monster, also on the hunt.

Dusk Golem speculated the tinkerer and Vaulthead are connected in some fashion. I say they are not, or at least they are not one and the same. I believe that the man working on the barbwire in the trailer is, in fact, Sebastian.

Nemesis_

ANYWAY, MORE GIFS

This time Vaultman.

igrGGM0dpQxZG.gif

ipp8p2JGcDZlq.gif

It's hard to make them properly because of the way the trailers are cut but still, here we go.

I think Dusk's interpretation about Vaultman is kind of right - I mean it looks like he is descending an elevator to "check on" the tinkerer who seems to be feverishly working on the barbed wire.

I'm also wondering if this photograph is at all relevant.

iE4hi1jM9xZXy.gif

Neiteio

I will correct myself and note there are a couple shots of the tinkering man wiping the blood off the picture. However, I don't think this lessens the possibility he may be Sebastian himself.

Having him feverishly work on a trap that seems to belong to the Glass-man suggests the mechanic of turning your enemies' traps against them, and the fact they all seem to be coming toward him/closing in on him, and he seems to be feverishly working to get his trap made before they arrive, and the fact he appears like a normal human and having his back turned creates a sense of vulnerability, all makes me think the man working on the barbwire is in fact Sebastian, depicted here at some point later in the game where he has a better idea what he's up against.

Also, awesome GIFs, Nemesis. I freaking love this trailer.

a horror game with potential? im interested.

hopefully it isn't quite as corny as the live action trailer suggests. i want to at least try to take it seriously.

Nemesis_

I do wonder if this is going to take the Demento/Haunting Ground route and we've seen all of the enemies (or "bosses") that the game has to offer.

And each scenario or segment will focus solely on one character - ie. the backstory of them, their story and they act as the antagonist for that chapter onle.

They kind of did that in Demento/Haunting Ground with Debilitas, Daniella, Riccardo and Lorenzo.

Neiteio

I do wonder if this is going to take the Demento/Haunting Ground route and we've seen all of the enemies (or "bosses") that the game has to offer.

And each scenario or segment will focus solely on one character - ie. the backstory of them, their story and they act as the antagonist for that chapter onle.

They kind of did that in Demento/Haunting Ground with Debilitas, Daniella, Riccardo and Lorenzo.
I suspect it's a mix of the following:

- Recurring stalker segments with major monsters like Vaulthead, Reborn Girl and Glassman, whose traps you rig against them, in an effort to slow them down and survive.

- Action sequences against many monsters, such as the village confrontation seen in concept art, and the screens of the more zombie-like enemies with the flayed skin.

- And sometimes, a mix of the above two, as seen in the concept art that copped the War Z art.

skypunch

Banned
This looks amazing; I shall call this The (Resident) Evil Within.
Really hope Mikami delivers with this game and it doesn't become overflooded with constant action sequences. Looks promising so far!

Neiteio

The game's English name, at least, is definitely meant to evoke the creator's pedigree. Hopefully this will go down as Mikami's masterpiece, a title that currently belongs to RE4 or REmake, depending on who you ask.

ironcreed

Banned
Looking like it has the potential to flirt with horrors best personified by pure madness and chaos. In other words... real horror. Have high hopes for this.

I'm a complete pussy. I think I might have shit my pants at Oven Man the first time through RE4(fuck you for that Mikami, seriously).

I kinda hope this game isn't RE4-2, and maybe some weird action/horror hybrid with cramped corridors, bad controls, and ammo preservation so I won't have to play it

Neiteio

I'm a complete pussy. I think I might have shit my pants at Oven Man the first time through RE4(fuck you for that Mikami, seriously).

I kinda hope this game isn't RE4-2, and maybe some weird action/horror hybrid with cramped corridors, bad controls, and ammo preservation so I won't have to play it
Oven Man? I've played RE4 like 20 times and I'm not sure I remember this character.

Verdugo is the one that fries my nerves. (Creature you kill by freezing -- I have a statue of him at my desk!)

Nemesis_

Oven Man? I've played RE4 like 20 times and I'm not sure I remember this character.

Verdugo is the one that fries my nerves. (Creature you kill by freezing -- I have a statue of him at my desk!)

There is one moment during the Island where you are walking through a kitchen or something and a man runs at you from the oven on fire until he just dies.

I personally found it cheap and not scary at all but heaps of people seemed to find it frightening.

Neiteio

There is one moment during the Island where you are walking through a kitchen or something and a man runs at you from the oven on fire until he just dies.

I personally found it cheap and not scary at all but heaps of people seemed to find it frightening.
Ah yes, I remember this now. Eh. I'm not usually scared by things that jump out of nowhere. What tends to get me is when things spawn in your blind spot. For example, the waxen Spider Splicers in BioShock 1's Fort Frolic. Usually employed in first-person horror games, if at all.

Nemesis_

Ah yes, I remember this now. Eh. I'm not usually scared by things that jump out of nowhere. What tends to get me is when things spawn in your blind spot. For example, the waxen Spider Splicers in BioShock 1's Fort Frolic. Usually employed in first-person horror games, if at all.

I imagine the shopping mall in Condemned was your worst nightmare then :I

omonimo

Banned

Really? Is it scary for someone? I remember RE 1/2 were pretty scary to play the first time, I have been forced to play both with lower sound. RE4 has some moments like the garden, the body guard of the dwarf (I don't remember the name), but it's not exactly a scary game.

Neiteio

I imagine the shopping mall in Condemned was your worst nightmare then :I
I need to play those games! One of the Condemned games has the moving mannequins, right?

Regarding RE4, I didn't think it was scary, but it did an excellent job of making you feel like you were truly facing something profoundly evil.

Eternal Darkness really nailed this bleak, obliterating sense of hopelessness, as well.

Nemesis_

Really? Is it scary for someone? I remember RE 1/2 were pretty scary to play the first time, I have been forced to play both with lower sound.

I'm like Neits, I hate jump out scares. They are just not frightening to me and it kind of made Dead Space a very sombre affair for me too :(

I need to play those games! One of the Condemned games has the moving mannequins, right?

WHAT ARE YOU DOING GO BUY IT

I think RE4 was tense but in no ways was it scary.

Neiteio

I'm like Neits, I hate jump out scares. They are just not frightening to me and it kind of made Dead Space a very sombre affair for me too :(
They can startle me, but yeah, jump-out scares aren't "scary," so to speak. I think the sense that an enemy can be anywhere at any time is scariest, which is why Amnesia was such a riveting experience. Also, I haven't really played any of the stalker games (Clock Tower, Haunting Ground, etc), but I am FASCINATED by the concept. I have played Siren Blood Curse, which sort of fits the bill, I guess. But Haunting Ground, in particular, looks very alluring to me.

WHAT ARE YOU DOING GO BUY IT

I think RE4 was tense but in no ways was it scary.
One of the Condemned games is on Steam. Worth it?

Nemesis_

I truly hope this game makes Capcom Crapcom themselves and remember what horror is while they are making the next RE.

People said the same thing about Bayonetta for Devil May Cry.

I'll let that sink in for a moment.

ibsqnsJUbIWxZr.gif

RE:Condemned - Yeah, the first one is definitely worth it but a bit rough around the edges.

Second is good but it crosses genres a little bit which I wasn't entirely happy with.

Elixist

id tech 5 is interesting. the real Resident Evil 5 is more interesting. hope that it delivers. i look forward to gameplay vids.

ironcreed

Banned
People said the same thing about Bayonetta for Devil May Cry.
I'll let that sink in for a moment.

Regardless, I still have hope for the series going forward. But this is really looking like it has the potential to be something else. Nice to have a legitimately insane looking horror game to look forward to based on everything we currently have on it. Considering the source, I'd say that bodes rather well.

Neiteio

This might be the game already announced that I'm now looking forward to the most.
After beating BioShock Infinite twice, hot off of Metal Gear Rising four times, I felt so fulfilled I thought, "Man, I'm feeling content, don't really need any games for awhile." Then this and Zelda 3DS get announced in the same week. AND I MUST HAVE THEM.

I really hope the trap-setting in this game encourages similar creativity to BioShock 1 and 2. I doubt the traps will be as empowering here as they were in those games, but it's so fun concocting absolutely diabolical schemes and seeing a loathed monster get caught up in what was originally meant for you.

black_13

Banned
This is Mikami's new game? Holy shit now its got me real excited. I was a bit surprised by its look coming from Bethesda but now it all makes sense.

Into

Sounds good, i am intrigued

Just hope it plays well and is actually scary, and no, not "Hollywood" scary with cheap jump scares and screamers.

Lucent

So this is what became of Project Zwei. Funny that it's called Psychobreak in Japan. I guess it really is like a big difference between Biohazard and Resident Evil.

I really hope the extra info Monday comes with some gameplay footage. Even 30 seconds. I just wanna see this running. And I'm def in for the PS4 version if it'll look like the screenshots we've seen so far.

Also Wikipedia said this is supposed to be Shinji's last directorial work. =/ I hope it turns out really good. I need a real horror game.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I just realized... this trailer gave me a huge 13 ghosts vibe as well.

It should give people "vibes" from alot of American Horror as that's what it looks to be copying.

That's why this trailer does nothing for me. It doesn't portray any unique visual identity. The setting and imagery looks extremely similar to what you'd find in your typical generic horror movie. (Damp, dark prison-like setting. Masochistic imagery with the barbed wire/broken glass creatures etc.) The enemies are like others described very reminiscent of what you see in Silent Hill from the general imagery(PyramiI MEAN safehead) to the rusty, grity textures

It doesn't show what this game is bringing new to horror games at all. It just looks like more of the same tired shit people come to expect from modern horror.

So I'm hoping the "action" is the focus and there's some interesting gameplay to draw me in because I'm already disinterested in horror elements. Something as unremarkable and indistinct as what this trailer shows off has no chance of holding my attention.

I guess I'm just not the type of person this marketing is targeted towards.(I responded a similar way towards Vanquish's live action announcement trailer) Hopefully they show gameplay or something on monday for people like me.

I truly hope this game makes Capcom Crapcom themselves and remember what horror is while they are making the next RE.

That's right Capcom, just put Silent Hill enemies in a Hostel/Saw setting and put Mikami's name on the box.

That's all it takes apparently

That's right Capcom, just put Silent Hill enemies in a Hostel/Saw setting and put Mikami's name on the box.

Well to be honest I'm more interested in the details that were leaked about the gameplay and horror, not the trailer. The trailer was just a nice little reveal, live action trailer announcement.

Top Bottom