• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within TGS 2013 Trailer

It looks so atmospheric and hostile. You can tell this is by some of the original Resident Evil team, definitely seeing Naoki Katakai's touch all over these environments, along with the colour scheme.

TedNindo

That's basically a cut up version of the 20+ minutes of gameplay footage I saw at Gamescom.

I'm sure they aren't showing a lot more because it was still pretty rough around the edges at Gamesom.

Combat basically looked like RE4 with some added stealthy slower paced sections and some psychological parts where it fucks with your perceptions. Most of the demo was slower paced though. Only one scene where you were keeping a group of enemies at a distance. Eventually they got closer and started climbing through the windows. Very much like RE4. Only now you could place trip-bombs underneath the windows.

But there were some obvious animation, graphical and camera problems. I noticed the same texture pop-in I saw in Rage. But I'm sure that's because it was early footage.

Lotto

I like the name Psychobreak but the logo doesn't make as much sense as it does with The Evil Within since there's no 'i's lol

This trailer looks promising though. I don't know how to feel about that vintage/washed out foggy filter; It kind of sets the atmosphere for this game but at the same time I feel like it would look better without it. Definitely looking forward to more information about this game! In Mikami we trust.

JoeFenix

Limited saves? Lol sorry this is 2013

Can't deny that they were effective at making you feel like surviving actually mattered. When you can just restart and only end up losing 2 minutes of progress the game definitely isn't as tense or scary.

I'm being realistic and expect a RE4 style structure with maybe longer checkpoints. Maybe some unlockable mode with limited saves/lives. I really doubt they'll go full blown limited saves even if it would be cool.

It's all about your expectations I guess, I'm expecting RE4 with a darker tone. I don't blame people who want old school RE when they're marketing the game as a return to survival horror. It does come with certain expectations.

Yup, Psycho Break is the superior name.

I hope this game won't be 5-6 hours long... otherwise it'll be quickly forgotten as Vanquish was.

In interviews at E3 Bethesda said they couldn't comment on an exact length, but as the game is single player only they are looking for a length of around 14+ HRS.

EDIT - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PhYh36H6-U

Th interview in question starts at 5 mins. He says it's maybe 12-18 hours, definitely a fair length.

televator

Psycho Break is only the title in Japan. Internationally it is still The Evil Within.

Cool! I like superfluously long names. They have rich presence.
VID4qHU.gif

kasane

Tho im liking everything thus far, I can't help but notice the movements are still tank mode. Dat atmosphere tho

Looks great. One thing I'm hoping for though is more doors and exploration instead of just being guided down unrealistically long corridoors to reach the obvious next door to reach the next area to progress and trigger the next scripted event so that you can leg it down another ridiculously long corridoor to reach the next obvious door/elevator to reach an open area, stock up on supplies, kill some enemies, and then proceed to enter another building solely designed for triggering even more scripted events rather than for exploration. This will be a game killer for me.

And on the topic of corridoors, why would a corridoor be built that long to serve just one door? I can understand that it serves for the scripted event, but architecturally, it's unrealistic and makes it obvious to me that instead of crafting well designed areas/rooms, the developers have subconsciously sacrificed that and instead, have decided to plant their focus on flashy ostentatious scripted events.

Another thing that bothered me: We notice during when Sebastian is walking towards the Asylum, there are a good amount of windows allocated around it. These have to be rooms, right? I can't wait to explore them. What bothered me was the fact that there wasn't a single door I could see, no staircase, no elevator, no nothing to lead to these other areas inside the Asylum, just a dead end security room. This has got me feeling incredibly skeptical that the game will be a one way ticket to a linear rollercoaster ride. And I hope that's not the case. (No pun intended)

This is how I feel.
I get the impression it's doing the whole TLoU/Uncharted thing of going through scripted sequences in pretty linear environments, and settling on the 'creepy factor' on the art design, rather than the gameplay.
I'm pretty dubious about it, and I think people might be seeing what they want to see, in regards to it being a return to classic survival horror.

dropbear

Banned
Looks great. One thing I'm hoping for though is more doors and exploration instead of just being guided down unrealistically long corridoors to reach the obvious next door to reach the next area to progress and trigger the next scripted event so that you can leg it down another ridiculously long corridoor to reach the next obvious door/elevator to reach an open area, stock up on supplies, kill some enemies, and then proceed to enter another building solely designed for triggering even more scripted events rather than for exploration. This will be a game killer for me.

And on the topic of corridoors, why would a corridoor be built that long to serve just one door? I can understand that it serves for the scripted event, but architecturally, it's unrealistic and makes it obvious to me that instead of crafting well designed areas/rooms, the developers have subconsciously sacrificed that and instead, have decided to plant their focus on flashy ostentatious scripted events.

Another thing that bothered me: We notice during when Sebastian is walking towards the Asylum, there are a good amount of windows allocated around it. These have to be rooms, right? I can't wait to explore them. What bothered me was the fact that there wasn't a single door I could see, no staircase, no elevator, no nothing to lead to these other areas inside the Asylum, just a dead end security room. This has got me feeling incredibly skeptical that the game will be a one way ticket to a linear rollercoaster ride. And I hope that's not the case. (No pun intended)

Great post.

Hoping to see good things with this game...

Superflat

Hmmm... I can't pinpoint it but I'm not really drawn in yet, and I'm usually attracted to horror games. Something about the way the game is presented so far saps any sense of eeriness. Thinking about it more, I guess it's because the enemies look more like experimented-on super mutants than something unknown and supernatural. That's just because I tend to like supernatural stories more.

But as long as it gets the gameplay and tension right I'm looking forward to the game.

"Chainsaw guy" as an enemy just ain't enough man, lol. The last creature shown was the most promising of the bunch.

Meesh

I got tingly just watching the trailer...this could really be a survival horror resurrection of sorts. The beggining of a new hallmark franchise?

Raoh

Looks interesting, didn't realize it was a Bethesda game though. I'll have to wait and see how people react when it releases. Their games are always so buggy,

This is how I feel.
I get the impression it's doing the whole TLoU/Uncharted thing of going through scripted sequences in pretty linear environments, and settling on the 'creepy factor' on the art design, rather than the gameplay.
I'm pretty dubious about it, and I think people might be seeing what they want to see, in regards to it being a return to classic survival horror.

any of you'll play Resident Evil 4, where TLOU and Uncharted got there inspiration from?

The Evil Within/Psycho Break director, directed RE4.

Im sure it will have everything.

Looks interesting, didn't realize it was a Bethesda game though. I'll have to wait and see how people react when it releases. Their games are always so buggy,

Bethesda is the publisher on this or they bought Tango or something.
Hopefully they arent doing a quality check by their in house standards

Squire

Banned
In interviews at E3 Bethesda said they couldn't comment on an exact length, but as the game is single player only they are looking for a length of around 14+ HRS.

EDIT - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PhYh36H6-U

Th interview in question starts at 5 mins. He says it's maybe 12-18 hours, definitely a fair length.

This is probably the biggest budget Mikami's had since RE4 (which is quite long), so I wouldn't be surprised to see then hit 18 hours.

skypunch

Banned
any of you'll play Resident Evil 4, where TLOU and Uncharted got there inspiration from?

The Evil Within/Psycho Break director, directed RE4.

Im sure it will have everything.

Lets hope so.

If the game does end up not introducing anything new to the survival horror genre and doesn't manage to tear up the tried and tested formula of predictable and trendy linear cinematic third person shooters then that will be a big let down, because then Mikami will just be copying games that are inspired by RE4, which would be weird.

I'm still waiting to see if this won't be the case though. Hopefully it isn't and Mikami and the developers at Tango are currently in the process of adding a map to the game to help me navigate and thoroughly explore all the different rooms and maze like corridoors while I shit myself.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
It's also is no longer 2008, back before Demon's Souls when we all thought challenge was bad game design.
It's a brave new world. Tighten your jimmies!

In Demons' Souls you can save literally anywhere at almost any time. Limited saves are not the kind of challenge that should be brought back. It's arbitrary bullshit that hampers playability and makes no sense given that the player has no information about when they should save during their first playthrough. Which just means repeating shit for no good reason if you somehow fuck it up.

Limited ammo is part of a game experience, limited saves occupy a shared space between game experience and real life. If I need to save, I need to fucking save, and I shouldn't have to deal with it as a game mechanic. That potentially adds massive frustration and anxiety while providing little value.

In Demons' Souls you can save literally anywhere at almost any time. Limited saves are not the kind of challenge that should be brought back. It's arbitrary bullshit that hampers playability and makes no sense given that the player has no information about when they should save during their first playthrough. Which just means repeating shit for no good reason if you somehow fuck it up.

Limited ammo is part of a game experience, limited saves occupy a shared space between game experience and real life. If I need to save, I need to fucking save, and I shouldn't have to deal with it as a game mechanic. That potentially adds massive frustration and anxiety while providing little value.

Lol, you can't save at any time in Demon's. You can't save ever. It's all automated.
But needless to say, that wasn't my point.
My point is in 2008 if I brought up Demon's feature to take away your souls after double death, they'd be making a similarly snarky comment[and probably did].
Game design is for game designer's. Could this be annoying? It sure could, but to say it couldn't work is exactly the same, assumption.
Personally, this intruiges me. I think it could work, and work very well. Saves become another resource you have to carefully manage, it changes the game.
Then again, maybe it's just like typewriter ink ribbons from the dev's earlier games, and the fear of running out is completely fake, since there's more than you ever could use.
Who knows.

Vibranium

Banned
I'm super pumped for the game, I'm hoping there's tons of stuff that provides the tension and the scares in a way that trailers can't.

I hope there's some exploration and millions of readable files in the game, Mikami pls.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Lol, you can't save at any time in Demon's. You can't save ever. It's all automated.
But needless to say, that wasn't my point.
My point is in 2008 if I brought up Demon's feature to take away your souls after double death, they'd be making a similarly snarky comment[and probably did].
Game design is for game designer's. Could this be annoying? It sure could, but to say it couldn't work is exactly the same, assumption.
Personally, this intruiges me. I think it could work, and work very well. Saves become another resource you have to carefully manage, it changes the game.
Then again, maybe it's just like typewriter ink ribbons from the dev's earlier games, and the fear of running out is completely fake, since there's more than you ever could use.
Who knows.

For some reason I was thinking of saves strictly in terms of allowing the player to stop playing and resume later. And I think that alone justifies my distaste for a limited save system. However, you're right that the Souls games don't have a save that lets you manually manipulate and manage your progress.

That said, I still don't want a limited manual save system where dying sets you back to your last save. That's a waste of the player's time.

And how does the designer implement it effectively? They can either provide too many "ink ribbons" or whatever and make it trivial, or they can provide not enough, and make it shitty.

And the first-time player can't even judge for themselves how many ink ribbons was a good design choice because they don't have the information necessary to make wise decisions about when to use them. Basically, play as long as you can before you need to save. Or play for as long as you can tolerate the risk of having to repeat it all, then save. I just don't see any fun in that.

For some reason I was thinking of saves strictly in terms of allowing the player to stop playing and resume later. And I think that alone justifies my distaste for a limited save system. However, you're right that the Souls games don't have a save that lets you manually manipulate and manage your progress.

That said, I still don't want a limited manual save system where dying sets you back to your last save. That's a waste of the player's time.

And how does the designer implement it effectively? They can either provide too many "ink ribbons" or whatever and make it trivial, or they can provide not enough, and make it shitty.

And the first-time player can't even judge for themselves how many ink ribbons was a good design choice because they don't have the information necessary to make wise decisions about when to use them. Basically, play as long as you can before you need to save. Or play for as long as you can tolerate the risk of having to repeat it all, then save. I just don't see any fun in that.
It's saves whenever you do anything though. Power goes it in your house? You'll be reload nearly exactly where you were when it did. The Souls series secretly has the most intensive autosave checkpoint system in all gaming.Just nobody knows it cause it doesn't let you use it, lol.

As for limited saves. I think you need to give a game a bit of yourself to get anything back. If the goal is to really immerse yourself into a horror experience, then a bit anxiety is all part of the pie then.
But if the game doesn't have the magic, this'll just be another annoyance making it worse.
Same with the Souls series. From has been making punishing Dungeon crawlers for decades. Only real difference is they finally nailed the combat with Demon's, so it all worked out.
That said, the second I remembered Ink ribbons, I stopped caring about this. It's almost certainly just a tribute to them, so like them, it's probably just trivial.
Until hard mode!
[btw, RE4 had ribbons and continues. So no reason to not expect no continues yet.]

luka

Loves Robotech S1
What's the deal with Shinji Mikami and awesome Japanese/awful international titles. I know why it happened with Biohazard, but why did they do it AGAIN?

And put me on Team Psycho Break. Shit's hype.

benzy

Psycho Break sounds like a bargain bin title, along with Nano Breaker and Breakdown. I just don't see the name appealing to casuals.

It looks great and I can’t wait for it, but is it just me of does it seem to lack a little polish? Or maybe it just has a low budget?

I reeeeally hope they go all out with this one. Hopefully the budget is fairly big and it’ll live up to the glorious Resident Evil 4.

Top Bottom