• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within TGS 2013 Trailer

What's the deal with Shinji Mikami and awesome Japanese/awful international titles. I know why it happened with Biohazard, but why did they do it AGAIN?

And put me on Team Psycho Break. Shit's hype.

Are you a native english speaker? Because I have to say, to our ears, it's no contest between Resident Evil and Biohazard.
Resident Evil sounds awesome in my oppinion, and Biohazard sounds mega cheesy. Not to mention really generic. I'm guessing the thought is it sounds 'declarative', just like how the micheal myers movies own the word halloween, it gives it a sense of 'ultimate'. But that doesn't make it sound good, lol.
It's a little closer with this game, Psycho Break sounds even more cheesy, but The Evil Within sounds pretentious as heck.
But I'd still go with The Evil Within, because I'd rather my horror game have an uppity name rather than be labeled like a move from Street Fighter.
I'm an ass.

It looks great and I can’t wait for it, but is it just me of does it seem to lack a little polish? Or maybe it just has a low budget?
As someone explained, this is still prototype kinda footage. The team is fairly small so it is working hard on it. The game still hasn't gotten a proper release date in 2014, i think.

Resident Evil 4, on the other hand, had no restrictions or limit like that.

skypunch

Banned
Here's two things that I'd love to see implemented in the final game:

Give the player full control of where he/she wants to run to

From watching the trailers of the game, I got the impression that whenever it's time to run away during a scripted event, a pre-determined path is already set in front of you to run down. I feel that this would really put a damper on the tension of that particular moment since you'd know exactly where to run to. Wouldn't it be more scary if you didn't know where to run to? To choose a door, only to find out that it's locked. I think that this would help build upon the tension of feeling like you're trapped with no way out. Not only that, but the height of the tension could even be raised a second time once the player realises that the door he/she chose to escape to was actually a dead end room with nothing more than a few handgun bullets and the thought of knowing that the only way to progress further would be to 'overcome your fears' and to go back out the same way you came in from.

Exploration

I think exploration is paramount in survival horror games because it keeps you on your toes and exploring for ammo and health is the key to surviving. From what we've been shown in the trailers though, I haven't seen any of that. Another thing I think would be great would be the inclusion of penalizing players for not exploring and collecting ammo and health. For example, during the chapter in the perth house when the zombies break through the doors and windows, the player can easily find ammo placed inside. Instead, I think the ammo should be allocated in earlier rooms/areas, requiring exploration, meaning that if the player didn't explore previously, he/she will find the confrontation more of a struggle. This gives the player an incentive to backtrack.

Dantis

I think this looks like a great game, but not even slightly scary, which is disappointing after everything Mikami has said.

Hedge

i65S01Nva13EB.gif

WAT

I'll never sleep again

Vaiim

Certainly has the potential for some awesome survival horror gaming. Time will tell if it can avoid the "dumbed down" and cover-shooter pitfalls...

RedSwirl

I'm hoping all that scripted event stuff in the earlier gameplay demo is just the very beginning of the game, and the whole game isn't chock full of that kind of crap. I wanna actually play the game.

Right now though I trust Mikami. He didn't really follow those trends with Vanquish. That game had some set pieces (which are really what RE4 is made of) but it never locked you into scripted events. That's what most designers of AAA games these days don't understand. I'd say only a couple other developers get that right.

Ideally I'd like to see a return to actual survival horror exploration, but there's nothing solid for me to hold onto right now. I think Frictional (and The Chinese Room) has that game locked up. However, from Mikami I think at-worst what we'll get is a linear game filled with good set pieces that still let's you feel like you're playing an actual game.

Instead of creating a new thread, The Evil Within isn’t targeting the Call of Duty market, says Mikami

While it’s a horror game with supernatural elements, The Evil Within starts in the real-world. Mikami stressed that this is key to the game’s blend of horror. He said it was “Very important,” and added, “It’s one of the attractive things in the game – you don’t really understand whether it’s real or not. It’s like that movie, The Ring, with the surface and the black side. You don’t know if you’re in the real world or not. I wouldn’t want to say.”

Going back to the Call of Duty comment, Mikami added, “We have traditional firearms in the game, but nothing fancy, because it’s traditional. And our moves are quite limited. As an accent, we have traps that you could place – multiple type of traps, too – or in the game, you see traps, you disarm them.” It’s definitely not a gun-fest then.

When asked how traps work, he replied, “You could use the traps pretty much any time. It’s a play option. You either use the firearm to play the game or you use traps to beat creatures. Or you can use sneaking to just avoid creatures, so more tactical and strategic. You can sneak through most of the game. Sneak, set a trap and hide.”

This is going to sound smart assed, but I am glad he cleared that up. You never know with the Japanese devs these days.

That's actually a check that goes in my "hype" column

Tell me about it, I'll never get tired of how many times he says this is going to be a true Survival Horror, cause I need alot of confirmation.

My hopes of Survival Horror making a come back is set with The Evil Within.

Top Bottom