• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within's latest update removes letterboxing from consoles

How's performance?

Give me a sec and I'll let you know....

Huh, how does this affect performance? Did they improve it with the update too?

I played some of Ch.6 with the letterbox still on before I knew about the patch notes, and regretfully, the framerate is still spotty. As they said, "cosmetic changes," not performance. I'm imagining non letter boxing will be the same but I'll take a quick gander...

KyleCross

You got a source for that boss?

Because all signs point to that not being true.

Pretty sure he's right, boss. I've seen people running the fullscreen patch before and it looks to literally just removes that part of the HUD. Resident Evil 4 (one of Mikami's previous games, needless to say) did the same thing on Gamecube.

X88bIQg.gif

If the patch actually is more than a HUD motification then I am surprised and have been entirely wrong about the game, which I'll admit.

Drencrom

Pretty sure he's right, boss. I've seen people running the fullscreen patch before and it looks to literally just removes that part of the HUD. Resident Evil 4 (one of Mikami's previous games, needless to say) did the same thing on Gamecube.

X88bIQg.gif

If the patch actually is more than a HUD motification then I am surprised and have been entirely wrong about the game, which I'll admit.

Completely forgot about that in RE4. Could it be possible that Mikami just covered the game with HUD black bars here too...?

liquidtmd

Banned
Holy fuck, I had a backlog at the time and Alien scratched my horror vibe late last year. The thought of black bars were amongst my niggles of picking it up.

Its dirt cheap now and with this I'm gonna jump in! Some opinion of the performance post patch would be appreciated here :)

Lucas Sparks

Neo Member

X88bIQg.gif

Hehe... This kind of makes me laugh. It's like arguing, "behind the camera is rendered at all times, it's not being culled/occluded out!!" So for proof you turn the camera around, "see!?".

(Also the light in your fridge is always on)

I just finished the last 10 chapters about 2 weeks ago. This option would have been nice then, but I honestly didn't even notice the black bars while playing.

Update:

Performance from what I played seems identical, so no better or worse. That being said, I legitimately feel the game looks substantially better now due to the expanded FOV :)

Seriously, i'm using this as an excuse to do my "No upgrade" playthrough (^____^)

I dunno if it's because it hasn't updated in a while but I just checked for updates on PS4 for it and the patch is 4.6gb so it's pretty meaty.

SeanTSC

Thank fucking god. Now I feel like actually replaying the game and doing Akumu mode and stuff. I loved TEW, best Survival Horror game since RE4 imo, but those ridiculous black bars were a real downer and ruined the FOV something fierce.

Alfredo

Wow. What a weird update with no fanfare. I guess this is a good excuse to replay the game. still never got around to the DLC

EDIT: started a replay of chapter 1, and the part where you swing your body to grab the knife is forced to letterbox, but then turns off after you grab the knife. So weird.

Malcolm9

I only completed this about a month ago, I may pick it up again and purchase the DLC which I never played. I really enjoyed the game.

I wonder if RAD could possibly do this with The Order at some point. Saying that the black bars in this game are far more claustrophobic compared to The Order.

UltraJay

The letterboxing, I read that for the PC version the "removal" was handled by just zooming into the main area until the letterbox disappeared or something along those lines.

I'm almost certain you were thinking about a previous thread about letterboxing. It had someone answer that the letter boxing can be "removed" even for the console versions if you had a superwide monitor at the same aspect ratio. The black bars still appeared until you used the monitor controls to zoom in until they were gone. It had nothing to do with the PC version but was a way for consoles to do it for games like Evil Within and The Order.

hiex_

Banned
That's cool people have the option of taking away something they don't like, but I still stand behind it as an atmospheric and aesthetic contribution to the game.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Nice. Played and finished the game twice on 480p in order to get rid of the black bars by zooming in the picture on my TV. May have to play the game a third time now.

Tapejara

Holy shit, I was wondering what that update was for. So happy, the letterboxing + low framerate was too stressful on my eyes. I'll definitely go back and finish it now.

Just tried it at the beginning. geez, the camera was already close to the player, the cropping is so much apparent when you pause the game as it uses a cropped widescreen view, it's crazy how much was cropped out as opposed to properly framing the the viewing area, it really did kill the FOV so badly.

Properly viewed widescreen would have added more information to the left and right if it had to be letterboxed.

Extremely cropped letterboxed, plus bobbing and weaving camera, plus iffy framerate, equals disorienting.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
This game had some massive problems, mostly that it got bad from Ch. 11 onwards, but the black bars are right up there too. They never felt like they suited the camera angle of the game and I felt like my vision was impaired, whereas they never bother me at all in The Order. I may actually give it another go if I see it cheap somewhere.

Harlequin

I wonder if RAD could possibly do this with The Order at some point. Saying that the black bars in this game are far more claustrophobic compared to The Order.

Definitely not without the performance (or the IQ) taking a hit. I'm not sure what's going on with TWE (but considering that the performance has been reported to be unchanged pre-/post-toggle, I'm going to assume that they actually render in full 1080p and merely add the black bars in post) but The Order is definitely being rendered in 1920x800 pixels so to make it 16:9 1080p you'd have to up the vertical resolution which would have an effect on the game's performance. They could, of course, do that thing where the image is rendered squished and then gets stretched out (what is that called again... anamorphic?) to get a non-letterboxed image witthout upping the rendering resolution but that would, obviously, have a negative effect on image quality.

Top Bottom