• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Expanse |S2| You guys look like shit - Wednesdays on Syfy

In the first episode they explicitly state that they'd need to flip and hard burn for 2 days in order to get within 50k kilometres of the Scopuli....and they were the closest ship that could respond.

I may need to go back and rewatch some things. I haven't seen the pilot since the SDCC screening. I know they said how long it would take to do something, but it still doesn't seem like it takes that long when you're watching the show. Although, this might be a good thing since it means they won't be showing someone stuck in a crash couch for an entire episode.

In other news, WizKids is releasing an Expanse board game. So far this is the only article I've seen with any info on it.
http://icv2.com/articles/news/view/36745/wizkids-heads-the-expanse

Didn't they make available the first 4 episodes at once when the show started? Seems like they agree that viewers needed more than what they had in the first two alone.

- AssignmentX podcast: Interview with The Expanse star Wes Chatham
So we took the time to talk about THE EXPANSE, SyFy’s amazing science fiction show that has just started its second season. This included a really cool visit from Wes Chatham, who plays Amos Burton on THE EXPANSE. Wes took some time from his busy day to chat about the first few episodes from Season 2 and what to look forward to in the coming season in regard to his character, Amos. Loads of good stuff here and if you are an EXPANSE fan, definitely worth checking out.
- Wired: The Expanse Isn't Just Awesome TV - It's Transforming TV

Jag

Also, from io9:

- Last Night's Expanse Was More Proof That It's the Best Scifi Show on TV

They focus on the Holden / Amos conversation about Cortázar and interview Chatham and Strait about how they played it. Some spoilers for The Churn, though it's just some Amos back story.

This article made me realize I never read The Churn novella. Need to fix that ASAP.

I would also recommend reading The Butcher of Anderson Station about Fred Johnson's background and what drives him.

That was a proper 'whoa' twist at the end there.

But I wonder, in Miller's little animation Eros plunged into the sun in a few seconds but wouldn't it take years for it to get there if the plan had succeeded ? There would still have been plenty of time for anyone to get into Eros where the protomolecule would have survived the bombs and the starship impact beneath kilometers of rock.

DrSlek

That was a proper 'whoa' twist at the end there.

But I wonder, in Miller's little animation Eros plunged into the sun in a few seconds but wouldn't it take years for it to get there if the plan had succeeded ? There would still have been plenty of time for anyone to get into Eros where the protomolecule would have survived the bombs and the starship impact beneath kilometers of rock.

The idea was to use the bombs to essentially melt the exterior of the asteroid. He mentions it towards the end of his animation after the Nauvoo hits. It would have stayed in a molten state for years after (or at least far too hot to land on and survive), as it's difficult to radiate heat in the vacuum of space.

My complaint is that the
Nauvoo should have been far more of a spectacle as it approached
, but also have been going almost too fast to see. In the books it was described as a tiny dot, surrounded by an enormous corona of light from its engines at full burn as it approached. Considering the vastness of space and how much energy it would need to transfer in order to
move Eros on impact
, it looked like it was really moving at a snails pace, relatively speaking.

- Sneak peek from next week's episode (please spoiler tag any discussion)
- The Churn Episode 3: Steven Strait talks '80s movies, his abs, and the intensity of 'Godspeed'
Welcome to Episode 3 of The Churn, our post-show podcast about The Expanse. Each week during Season 2, The Expanse creators Ty Franck and Daniel Abraham (who you all know as James SA Corey) and Syfy Wire's resident The Expanse superfans -- Fangrrls Managing Editor Cher Martinetti and Editor-in-Chief Adam Swiderski -- take a deeper dive into the latest episode.

It was coming at the Roci crew from all sides this week, and it was stressful to watch. Earth fired nukes at Eros, Miller confirmed that space walks aren't really his thing, and an unexpected visitor stumbles upon the protomolecule and threatens to tell everyone. James Holden himself, Steven Strait, joins us this week to talk about playing the serious and idealistic Roci captain, his now (podcast) famous abs, and how he would be totally into an '80s workout montage next season.

robin2

really loving this.

only strange things is that.. well: by then humans should have developed very advanced AIs, like HAL9000- from space odyssey; but we haven't yet seen anything of the sort.
shouldn't the happening of artificial superintelligence be less remote than that level of space colonization?
i'd also think that cybernetic-enhancements on humans would be more common.

DieH@rd

Banned
I am more and more getting annoyed with teh show. I don't mind changing the order of events, or simplifying stuff so that show could be filmed with SyFy budget... but in this episode they changed the core story of Miller. They forced him to stay. :-/

One of the miners from Canterbury lost his arm in the pilot, and he was overjoyed he will get "proper" Belter cyber arm and not a regrown Earther arm.

suzu

Nice episode. The Nauvoo launch was cool. It's more of a spectacle in the book.. but it wouldn't have made for good TV to have a blink-and-you'll-miss-it blip. The space walk looked pretty awkward and bad. haha

Did they leave out
that line (book readers know what I'm talking about) or are they saving it for the next episode?

Zoe

Did they leave out
that line (book readers know what I'm talking about) or are they saving it for the next episode?

I saw people complaining about that on Reddit, and apparently some can hear it, but it's very very distorted.

really loving this.

only strange things is that.. well: by then humans should have developed very advanced AIs, like HAL9000- from space odyssey; but we haven't yet seen anything of the sort.
shouldn't the happening of artificial superintelligence be less remote than that level of space colonization?

The authors said in their last Reddit AMA that there is advanced AI but not sentient AI as in, the creators consciously avoid giving it human-like cognitive capabilites. The Roci itself is pretty sophisticated in that regard.

Also, there are artificial implants and organs/limbs can be regrown. People mostly go with regrown because it's cheaper and more natural.

I am more and more getting annoyed with teh show. I don't mind changing the order of events, or simplifying stuff so that show could be filmed with SyFy budget... but in this episode they changed the core story of Miller. They forced him to stay. :-/
For what's worth, lots of tv-only watchers are saying they definitely got a suicidal vibe from Miller, both from his answer to Diogo's question about 'what's next' and his obvious unwillingness to listen to any sort of rescue plan.

Moff

Nice episode. The Nauvoo launch was cool. It's more of a spectacle in the book.. but it wouldn't have made for good TV to have a blink-and-you'll-miss-it blip. The space walk looked pretty awkward and bad. haha

Did they leave out

I'm sorry but that was years ago when I read it, I don't know which one

As a non-book-reader, TV Miller is most definitely suicidal.
Ditto.

I can understand the frustration with the show not aligning with one's experience with the book, but they do have to make some changes based on the medium. At least Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck are very involved in the writer's room, so I imagine that most things have their approval.
Wired said:
Now, though, Franck and Abraham are there in the room, working among the Expanse writers, which has some key benefits. They’re at work on the saga’s seventh book, while the show is still grappling with the first two; if a writer’s plot undermines something they have planned for later, they can speak up. They also represent a lobbying bloc: In the show’s first season, they helped to push for more accurate science, including communication delays across the solar system, inconsistent gravity, and slow travel times—and eventually, the other writers started to see how those constraints helped add suspense and make for better stories.

The source material is by no means sacrosanct, though, and Franck is the first person to insist that some things need to be changed for TV. Take, for example, the first Expanse book, Leviathan Wakes—which includes entire chapters in which hard-boiled police officer Miller sits around drinking and feeling sorry for himself. “That’s a terrible episode of television,” he says. Nor is subtraction the only way to help the adaptation: Franck credits Shankar and the show’s other producers for bringing elements of later books into show’s first two seasons.

Now, Franck believes that more and more authors are asking to be included in the writing process—but thus far, it’s still the exception rather than the rule. And he’s the first to admit that not every book author is going to be able to handle the collaborative atmosphere of a writers’ room—or be willing to listen to other people’s suggestions about their creations.

Holy shit that was insane, the launch of the Nauvoo was so beautiful, one of the few moments on TV where I so desperately wanted to be there to see it in person.

So glad my boy Diego is still alive, for a second when Miller turns around after applying his patch I thought Diego was gonna be dead. Don't you die on me, Diego!

man I really don't wanna wait a week :(

"The Nauvoo didn't move. Eros did." damn

As a non-book-reader, TV Miller is most definitely suicidal.

Are there people who didn't see that in the TV version? The man was lost and his first instinct was to ram the Nauvoo into Eros. It kinda seems he wants his life to have meant something and that dying avenging Eros and saving people (potentially the entire human race) is a good way of doing it.

Amazing episode. This show needs to catch the fuck on already. Grrr

I always watch teasers for following episodes, but I wish I hadn't seen that one. 10 episode season, right?

What a tightly paced episode. I love shows revolving almost entirely around the execution of an operation or plan. So thirsty for more though goddamn. Having S1 on my DVR and watching one a night was so preferred to waiting a week.

i-Lo

Man, my jaw hung as I let out "aaaauuuhhhh.... woah... what..." as I witnessed the conclusion of that episode.

Btw, is The Expanse based off of source material from another medium?

Ristifer

Amazing episode. This show needs to catch the fuck on already. Grrr

I always watch teasers for following episodes, but I wish I hadn't seen that one. 10 episode season, right?
I believe Season 2 is 12 episodes. Or am I wrong on that one? That's what I heard way back before it started shooting.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Man, my jaw hung as I let out "aaaauuuhhhh.... woah... what..." as I witnessed the conclusion of that episode.

Btw, is The Expanse based off of source material from another medium?
It's a book series.

9780316390682_p0_v2_s1200x630.jpg

hows the show doing ratings wise.. its so fking good and yet no 1 is watching it :(

~700k viewers live but the +7 numbers (DVR) is up 134% to 1.7m viewers for episode 2 so I think its doing pretty well. I imagine the streaming amazon/netflix numbers are also off the charts with all the positive word of mouth.

I hope they announce season 3 pretty soon, if SyFy likes a show they tend to announce pretty early.

If anyone has read the books could they tell me if the producers have been faithful to the source material? Thank you.

The authors are on the writing staff, have written 3 or 4 of the episodes this season, and actually made a cameo last season - they show up right after Miller takes a ship from Ceres to Eros as he is leaving the shuttle.

Rked

~700k viewers live but the +7 numbers (DVR) is up 134% to 1.7m viewers for episode 2 so I think its doing pretty well. I imagine the streaming amazon/netflix numbers are also off the charts with all the positive word of mouth.

I hope they announce season 3 pretty soon, if SyFy likes a show they tend to announce pretty early.

this and the magicians are must see tv love the lineup. also this is great to hear!

Flai

Ah, thank you.

If anyone has read the books could they tell me if the producers have been faithful to the source material?

Thank you.

Well, somewhat. But there are a lot of differences and some of the things happen in different orders etc.

I think the books are much more detailed, better paced and just simply etter. Not that the show is bad, but the books are imo great :) !

Ah, thank you.

If anyone has read the books could they tell me if the producers have been faithful to the source material?

Thank you.

Go back a page or two and you'll see some book discussion. But yes, they are faithful while changing the stuff in the book that sucked or wouldn't work.

Ah, thank you.

Thank you.

I haven't read them but the authors are a part of the writing team. Supposedly it's been pretty faithful thus far with bringing one character to the forefront earlier than the books in season 1. Even though it's the second season I don't believe they've quite gotten through the first book yet.

Top Bottom