• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Expanse |S2| You guys look like shit - Wednesdays on Syfy

New episode tonight:
Static

Returning to Tycho Station, Holden and Miller butt heads about how the raid was handled. Meanwhile, Naomi and Alex deal in different ways with the post-traumatic stress of the incident. Holden and Amos interrogate an affectless scientist. Avasarala reaches out to an enemy to forge an unlikely alliance.

lt519

nah, jon snow is low rent jon snow.

Yeah, it is funny calling Holden a low rent Jon Snow because I think Jon Snow is one of the most poorly acted characters on Game of Thrones. But maybe that fits, Holden is my least favorite character. Just something about his delivery bothers me.

Yeah, it is funny calling Holden a low rent Jon Snow because I think Jon Snow is one of the most poorly acted characters on Game of Thrones. But maybe that fits, Holden is my least favorite character. Just something about his delivery bothers me.

I like Jon Snow and i like Space Jon Snow, i have no taste :(

Backlogger

When I first saw the casting announcement I didn't like it but I don't think he's all that bad.

In terms of delivery when I read the books, before there was ever an announced TV show I always pictured a Martin Freeman style delivery to Holden's way of handling things. Kind of an unintentional hero. Obviously he would have been too old I think for the role, but that is the type of delivery I always pictured when reading.

suzu

I think TV Holden is ok so far. The Space Jon Snow thing is more of a joke. I don't think the characters or actors are really similar.

Oh and I just realized TV Bobbie is missing the (annoying) Mariner Valley drawl. I'm glad they didn't do it. haha

Kin5290

I think TV Holden is ok so far. The Space Jon Snow thing is more of a joke. I don't think the characters or actors are really similar.

Oh and I just realized TV Bobbie is missing the (annoying) Mariner Valley drawl. I'm glad they didn't do it. haha
Book Bobbie doesn't have a Mariner Valley drawl, as she's not from the Mariner Valley.

DieH@rd

Banned
Great episode... although the feeling of "missed opportunity" continues to grow in me. Books handled some things much better [for example public radio signals from Eros had much much larger impact on the entire mankind].

I've been reading the books because of this show and I've got to say... they're so simplistically written. No wonder they've gotten 6 out in the span of 6 years.

I've been reading the books because of this show and I've got to say... they're so simplistically written. No wonder they've gotten 6 out in the span of 6 years.

THANK YOU! I don't think I've posted in this thread but I read the first book a while back after hearing some positive things and the rumblings of a TV show. Instantly regretted it, I thought it was really standard and poorly written, suffice to say I wasn't looking forward much to the TV show unless they were making substantial changes. That said, I've been enjoying the TV show, so far they've made changes where appropriate and have cleaned up a lot of the crappy writing while retaining those brief good moments. I was waiting that whole last episode for, "I killed him because he made too much sense." I'm glad that made it in.

Still, I don't think the show will ever truly be great because the source material isn't that great. But, I could be wrong. I never read past the first book because that was all I needed to completely turn me off from the series.

Moff

I always said the show is better than the books and I hope they change a lot. Book 3 and 4 were really bad. But 5 is great again with some fantastic plotlines.

I think the story, foundation, setting and some characters are good. Thats all the show really needs to take from the book. Acting, direction and some decent budget can make up for some of the books shortcomings.

Season 1 already changed a lot and I hope they continue to do that.

I always said the show is better than the books and I hope they change a lot. Book 3 and 4 were really bad. But 5 is great again with some fantastic plotlines.

I think the story, foundation, setting and some characters are good. Thats all the show really needs to take from the book. Acting, direction and some decent budget can make up for some of the books shortcomings.

There are moments of absolute greatness in the books, like the protomolecule stuff or anything to do with Avasarala, that are absolutely buried by hundreds of pages of mediocrity. The show has done a fantastic job of weeding out all the junk.

Not as strong an episode as the first two, but I suspect a great build up to the next one with a lot of pieces being moved around into position. I don't really remember the books much now (except the last one) so I really thought "huh... does Miller join the Mormons?" and then that last scene when you realize Miller just wants to fuck the mormons out of their $1 trillion spaceship. Oh Jesus Christ Miller, is there anyone you won't screw over badly?

All the protomolecule stuff made this episode for me, everyone standing around after the mad scientist says that Eros is building something... damn, how do you NOT run around yelling and screaming "we're all doomed! doomed!!!"

Fred Johnson awesome as always.
53ndpm7dgpey.gif

The Alex scene with him obsessing over whether there was something he could have done different in the battle was good too.

and then that last scene when you realize Miller just wants to fuck the mormons out of their $1 trillion spaceship. Oh Jesus Christ Miller, is there anyone you won't screw over badly?

Fred Johnson awesome as always.
53ndpm7dgpey.gif

LOL yeah to both of these! I was wondering why Miller was there lol!

Great episode... although the feeling of "missed opportunity" continues to grow in me. Books handled some things much better [for example public radio signals from Eros had much much larger impact on the entire mankind].

Oh, very interesting.

Kin5290

The books are pretty decent, but it doesn't help that the best characters (Avarsala and Bobbie) are only secondary characters, and don't show up until book 2.

I think they're poor. It annoys me when authors coast along as they have, or maybe it annoys me they've been successful doing it.

THANK YOU! I don't think I've posted in this thread but I read the first book a while back after hearing some positive things and the rumblings of a TV show. Instantly regretted it, I thought it was really standard and poorly written, suffice to say I wasn't looking forward to the TV show much unless they were making substantial changes. That said, I've been enjoying the TV show so far they've made changes where appropriate and have cleaned up a lot of the crappy writing while retaining those brief good moments. I was waiting that whole last episode for, "I killed him because he made too much sense." Glad that made it in.

Still, I don't think the show will ever truly be great because the source material isn't that great. But, I could be wrong. I never read past the first book because that was all I needed to completely turn me off from the series.

At this point I also consider the show to be better than the books for the most part. The only exception is the physical differences between humans. They obviously can't do that with actors.

Moff

At this point I also consider the show to be better than the books for the most part. The only exception is the physical differences between humans. They obviously can't do that with actors.

they can, it's just not possible on the show's tight budget to have thousands of them
6aWi8Yy.jpg

I am sooo hooked into the show! I just hope they change up some of the actions from the books. As I have read them all,

Spoiler from last episode

Miller sees a ghost

I hope that ties into...

MASSIVE SPOILER

Miller not dying like he does in the book

suzu

I like the books. The prose isn't anything special (I disagree that it's poorly written), but they're entertaining stories/characters and release at a decent pace (having two authors working on it probably helps). There are definitely some parts I hated in books 3 and 4 though. The show has been doing good for the most part.

RS4-

That was a solid ep, the Miller-Mormon scene was interesting and the reason why he was there lol.

edit - don't have it on dvr anymore, but I heard that you can hear the eros transmission at the end of ep 2 credits lol. I listened to it, but I wasn't sure if it was legit.

That was a solid ep, the Miller-Mormon scene was interesting and the reason why he was there lol.

edit - don't have it on dvr anymore, but I heard that you can hear the eros transmission at the end of ep 2 credits lol. I listened to it, but I wasn't sure if it was legit.

yup, just checked the credits for episode 2 have no music just distorted sounds that are now (in hindsight) obviously from Eros. There are clearly some voices and modulations going on so probably with some sound filtering you could probably decode something, similar to how the scientist in episode 3 claimed there was a timer and countdown (or count up?) in the signal, ala Independence Day.

They showed Eros briefly for a second in episode 3 too, it was the giant rock with a red "light" on it.

Don't know if its been mentioned but the entire season will be available on Netflix AFTER it finishes airing. Not sure how the amazon/netflix deal is, might be available on netflix only internationally and on amazon on domestic. Its showing up on Amazon within 24 hours of airing - eps 1-3 of season 2 already up.

RS4-

yup, just checked the credits for episode 2 have no music just distorted sounds that are now (in hindsight) obviously from Eros. There are clearly some voices and modulations going on so probably with some sound filtering you could probably decode something, similar to how the scientist in episode 3 claimed there was a timer and countdown (or count up?) in the signal, ala Independence Day.

They showed Eros briefly for a second in episode 3 too, it was the giant rock with a red "light" on it.

Don't know if its been mentioned but the entire season will be available on Netflix AFTER it finishes airing. Not sure how the amazon/netflix deal is, might be available on netflix only internationally and on amazon on domestic. Its showing up on Amazon within 24 hours of airing - eps 1-3 of season 2 already up.

http://the-roci.tumblr.com/post/156961620691/the-rocinante-rememberthecant-macgyvertape

Ah here it is.

JackDT

If you check out the Daniel Abraham (James Corey) other work -- like the Long Price Quartet -- the writing style is completely and totally different. You wouldn't even recognize it was the same author. Granted partly because he's working with a co-author.

But also because the Expanse books are conceived as a throwback or homage to 70s era epic scifi, and so were kind of cheesy on purpose to capture that feeling. The show really doesn't take that approach.

GavinUK86

My favourite part of the episode was Drummer's (Fred Johnson's second in command) accent. She's got Anderson Dawes beat imo.

lt519

The Navou is such a cool ship. That and the one from Interstellar take a ton of inspiration from Rendezvous with Rama, great book.

Good episode, even the "bridge" episodes feel better than last season's.

DBT85

Only just seen Ep 1&2. So good. Glad its back. That punch from Amos.

On the audio, my colleague and I both said that the first series had a weird mix that sometimes made it hard to understand what was being said, and there were a couple of times in this where it felt the same. Most noticeably seems to be an issue with some characters affecting a "space" accent.

suzu

Miller: Nice ship you got there.. it would be a shame if something happened to it.

I miss Miller's hair already.

Backlogger

Only just seen Ep 1&2. So good. Glad its back. That punch from Amos.

On the audio, my colleague and I both said that the first series had a weird mix that sometimes made it hard to understand what was being said, and there were a couple of times in this where it felt the same. Most noticeably seems to be an issue with some characters affecting a "space" accent.

That's the Belter language/accent/lingo. It's like English Spanish Portuguese and a few other languages mixed or something

Thanks for the negative words on the books. Was thinking of reading because the show is so good but I guess I'll just hope the show keeps going.

Paganmoon

If you check out the Daniel Abraham (James Corey) other work -- like the Long Price Quartet -- the writing style is completely and totally different. You wouldn't even recognize it was the same author. Granted partly because he's working with a co-author.

But also because the Expanse books are conceived as a throwback or homage to 70s era epic scifi, and so were kind of cheesy on purpose to capture that feeling. The show really doesn't take that approach.

I actually feel like I can tell when a chapter of the expanse books has been primarily written by Daniel Abraham, and which have been written by Ty Franck, mentioned this in the "What are you reading?" thread once or twice. It's getting particularly obvious in the later books.
I enjoy the books (though the last 2 have been quite dissapointing), but they are very pulpy. Can't wait for Abraham to write something else on his own again.

DieH@rd

Banned
Thanks for the negative words on the books. Was thinking of reading because the show is so good but I guess I'll just hope the show keeps going.

Books are awesome. They are light to read [that's not a bad thing], but they have so much more detail than show. Dismissing them based on few random comments would be a waste.

Top Bottom