• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Expanse |S2| You guys look like shit - Wednesdays on Syfy

SnowTeeth

Banned
Like, anywhere? You can't even buy it? If you can, you should try to, I have a feeling this show will need every view it can get : (
If not, that fucking blows. You have my sympathies.

You know, that's a good point. I'm definitely going to buy the entire series, but I guess I was thinking complete boxset. I keep hearing that the show isn't getting the views it needs and if that's true then it makes me wonder what the fuck is wrong with people (like, wtf sci-fi fans?). Is this show in danger of being cancelled? If so, I'll be buying S1 and S2 pronto.

But yeah, The Expanse Season 2 Won't Be In Australia Straight Away

Jarmel

Banned
Yep this was great TV. The ending felt a bit wonkier than it should have been but the rest was topnotch.

I'm going to be disappointed if this gets cancelled.

Xe4

Banned
You know, that's a good point. I'm definitely going to buy the entire series, but I guess I was thinking complete boxset. I keep hearing that the show isn't getting the views it needs and if that's true then it makes me wonder what the fuck is wrong with people (like, wtf sci-fi fans?). Is this show in danger of being cancelled? If so, I'll be buying S1 and S2 pronto.

But yeah, The Expanse Season 2 Won't Be In Australia Straight Away

I don't want to say in danger, but the initial ratings for this season weren't good. That said, Sy-Fy seems to be giving this show more slack, hoping its a kind of slow burner. If the views ain't there though, they'll cancel.

We'll see I guess.

Bluth54

Yep this was great TV. The ending felt a bit wonkier than it should have been but the rest was topnotch.

If it does get cancelled people can always read the books so it's not as bad as an original TV show being cancelled.

DrSlek

Like, anywhere? You can't even buy it? If you can, you should try to, I have a feeling this show will need every view it can get : (
If not, that fucking blows. You have my sympathies.

I'm still waiting for Season 1 to become available on Google Play in Australia. It's on my wishlist, but it's taking its sweet time. I can still watch it on Netflix, and have done so at least 3 times now.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Saw it earlier today. Fucking awesome, I'm really liking Bobbie so far, which was a large concern of mine. It's obvious they're using camera trickery to maker her look bigger than she is, but I think she's pulling off the acting well.

The actress is a six foot tall ex-boxer, she's pretty huge even in the cast shots.

Cue my missus yelling "BEAST!" when she was arm wrestling her power armour.

Carn82

Premiere was pretty good, though I want to know more about the giant Mormon spaceship.

You will (y)

To be honest, im quite amazed how the series seems to follow the books pretty much spot on; sure, there are some differences, but most of the plot beats and characters are intact.

To be fair as far as "ratings" go, SciFi is aware of low ratings due to streaming/"other means".

They were pushing S1 real hard on their website more than they were the cable counterpart.

The actress is a six foot tall ex-boxer, she's pretty huge even in the cast shots.

bN2m9pF.jpg

It helps that she's wearing heels and Thomas Jane apparently goes to events on bare feet.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls

If 12 Monkeys can get a 3rd season then anything is possible on Syfy.

12 Monkeys might also be my favorite show of last year and I might be one of a dozen people watching it.

golem

Are martians super buff or something? How did she beat her power armor?

Rked

Don't fucking cancel this show. Ugh its so annoying that quality shows don't get the praise/viewership it deserves.

lt519

Don't fucking cancel this show. Ugh its so annoying that quality shows don't get the praise/viewership it deserves.

As someone else posted, SyFy is hyper aware that their demographic is highly likely to watch via streaming and purchasing options. They stated as much the first season and talked a lot about how to capitalize on that and shift almost their entire offering of shows to make more money off that. And who knows what those numbers look like.

To another poster, Alcon does pay for it, so it's highly likely someone else will pick up on the high quality of the show and champion it as their own (a la Netflix). The problem is if they really are burning the ~5 million an episode number that has floated around, that is a biiiiiig number to keep paying for if you don't have a buyer. The SFX, sound, and sets are all amazing, but if someone were to foot the bill, they'd certainly want it to be smaller.

Saw it earlier today. Fucking awesome, I'm really liking Bobbie so far, which was a large concern of mine. It's obvious they're using camera trickery to maker her look bigger than she is, but I think she's pulling off the acting well.

I thought so at first too, turns out she's massive.

My biggest complaint about the first two episodes is we didn't see nearly enough hair flipping from Miller ):

To another poster, Alcon does pay for it, so it's highly likely someone else will pick up on the high quality of the show and champion it as their own (a la Netflix). The problem is if they really are burning the ~5 million an episode number that has floated around, that is a biiiiiig number to keep paying for if you don't have a buyer. The SFX, sound, and sets are all amazing, but if someone were to foot the bill, they'd certainly want it to be smaller.

I guess this was directed to me, because afair I was the only one posting about this recently.

Where did you get the 5 Million number from. BC if that's what the show costs it doesn't really show. The on location shoots are at a bare minimum here, so aside from the longer CGI heavy space scenes the only thing that's really expensive is the compositing stuff.

Xe4

Banned
I'm still waiting for Season 1 to become available on Google Play in Australia. It's on my wishlist, but it's taking its sweet time. I can still watch it on Netflix, and have done so at least 3 times now.
I mean, at least ya'll have it in Netflix. It's not a problem for me cause I buy every season on Amazon, but it's still not on US Netflix, which could really help it take off.

I thought so at first too, turns out she's massive.

My biggest complaint about the first two episodes is we didn't see nearly enough hair flipping from Miller ):

She's a big actress for sure, but in the books she's supposed to be huge, and almost a foot taller than the actress. That's why they try to make her look even taller than she is. Still, it was a good carting for a pretty much impossible person to cast totally accurately. The fact they got the etnicity, size, and height so accurate is a feat in and of itself, not to mention the fact she's a pretty good actress from what I've seen so far as well.

lt519

Where did you get the 5 Million number from. BC if that's what the show costs it doesn't really show. The on location shoots are at a bare minimum here, so aside from the longer CGI heavy space scenes the only thing that's really expensive is the compositing stuff.

There are a few sources, unreliable at best, that throw around $5-6 per episode for Season 1 and all indications from SyFy were that they weren't cutting back for S2. Abraham himself said it was one of the largest TV deals at the time so people started comparing it to shows like GoT which was about $6 per episode. It's a good ballpark, it is not a cheap show. We won't know unless SyFy or Alcon release the numbers.

The CGI is very very good and they also make a lot of the sets. I'm not too surprised at the cost.

Same as last year though, charting very well on Google, iTunes and Amazon. Currently #1 trending on both Amazon (Season 1 on Prime) and Google (Season 2).

Season 2 starting off amazingly. This show might have the best space battles ever on television, nothing else comes close for me.

Someone please make a gif album of the space battles and post it here (in a url of course).

Yeah, it's great.

lets get some earth vs. mars action real soon

good start to the season; thomas jane has great chemistry with the rest of the cast.

Oh yes, him interacting with the crew on the ship (actually all of their interaction on the ship) was soooo good, also in the scene where they were convincing Fred Johnson.

zelas

Just finished the amazing premiere and now talk of cancellation is being thrown in my face. Come on!! This is the only sci fi show I have to watch!!

The Mule

The crazy scientist guy at the end was a terrible actor and horribly cast. Really took the wind out of the sails of an otherwise great first two episodes.

Spl1nter

The crazy scientist guy at the end was a terrible actor and horribly cast. Really took the wind out of the sails of an otherwise great first two episodes.

Personally thought it was the only poor transition from the books in the first episode. The space fight was done better than I thought they would pull it off.

It feels like they can close out everything in Leviathan Wakes in two episodes with the pace they are going.

Volimar

Also, the way the shot was framed with the scientist pleading, you just knew something was going to happen to him.

DrSlek

emrober5

Episode 2 was much better than the premiere IMO. The wife and I really enjoy this show but I've been burned by Syfy too much with cancellations (SGU, Ascension).

Moff

Miller was great, easily the coolest character with Avasarala now.

The last 20minutes were really great, but before that there were many scenes with poor budget and some sub par acting, reminded me of some 90s tv in some scenes.

also I really forgot everything from leviathan wakes, are there any big differences?

Book1&2 spoilers:
Is Avasaralss spy from the books? and was phoebe destroyed like that? I thought they are going to that lab later and Bobby starts wrecking stuff.

Zousi

Shohreh Aghdashloo's raspy voice needs to get nerfed. I keep paying too much attention to the way she speaks. Other than that i mostly liked the premiere. Good character interactions and a sense of speeding things up.

Btw, what's the best podcast for this show? I just subscribed to The Churn, but haven't listened to their first episode yet.

Solid premier. I liked it. I haven't read the books, so I'm not sure whether that has an impact on a person's enjoyment of the show. I will say there are places where things are a bit slow or confusing to me. How these threads will all wind up merging together is something I'm very interested in finding out though. I'll also say the wait between the end of last season and the beginning of this one served to leave holes in my memory of (likely) particularly important details.

Regardless, enjoyable show.

Man I have this sitting on my VCR since it aired, but I have to wait for my brother to watch. He got me into the series (literally lend me the books), but I feel like betraying him.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Here in New Zealand we can only get the show through paying around $65 per month to Sky NZ (an out of date archaic machina from the 90s) since they snatched all the rights to the show in NZ.

I pay for Netflix, I pay for Amazon Video and I pay for many Blu-Rays, it's ridiculous that every country outside NA and New Zealand can get The Expanse on Netflix.... We can't even view the legal streams on space or syfy due to geo blocking.

On top of that, our Geo Restrictions can't let us purchase the show on Google or fucking iTunes.

Ridiculous.

Xe4

Banned
You still have a VCR? :O
Haha, that's what I thought. Geeze, that shit fucking old school.

Edit: oh. cable box, lol.

Here in New Zealand we can only get the show through paying around $65 per month to Sky NZ (an out of date archaic machina from the 90s) since they snatched all the rights to the show in NZ.

I pay for Netflix, I pay for Amazon Video and I pay for many Blu-Rays, it's ridiculous that every country outside NA and New Zealand can get The Expanse on Netflix.... We can't even view the legal streams on space or syfy due to geo blocking.

On top of that, our Geo Restrictions can't let us purchase the show on Google or fucking iTunes.

Ridiculous.
That fucking blows dude. And they wonder why people pirate.

Top Bottom