• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Expanse |S2| You guys look like shit - Wednesdays on Syfy

luiztfc

Do you guys know how many episodes this season will have?

And are the books a good read? And how far is the show in (ie, second book).

Her entry walk is fantastic:
2LXzZme.gif

I'd watch the shit out of a spin-off where the three of them drive around and solve crimes.

pa22word

Do you guys know how many episodes this season will have?

And are the books a good read? And how far is the show in (ie, second book).

The books are fun. The latest books you can kind of tell the guys are running out of steam, but overall they're good popcorn books to burn a lazy Saturday on. The first book is probably the best, so you should know right away if they're for you or not.

The show is somewhere in the middle of the second book, I think. It's been so long since I read the second and third book now that I can't really remember when one starts and the other ends tbqh.

nOoblet16

I'm really surprised that this show has not caught on like BSG as it's most similar to that show (conspiracy, politics and space shit) and it looks absolutely amazing.

This is the first space show since Stargate Universe was taken off and yet there is only middling interest. I do think that the cancellation of SG:Universe is what led to sci fi shows moving away from space opera for a while.

Perhaps the next Star Trek TV show will rejuvenate interest in space opera but it might as well be the case that it'll steal all the limelight considering how Star Trek is a massive franchise.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Avasarala's wardrobe, presence and no fucks given attitude (actually, she blurts out quite a few of those) continues to sell every scene with her in it. And count me among the ones shocked by Errinwright's turn. It's not like he seemed the most ethical of the players, but the cowardly way in which he rationalised his treason as pushing the "Earth first" agenda as taught by Avasarala was low as hell. And very much unexpected. It totally caught me by surprise, not unlike Naomi's stabbing my poor murderous baby Amos with tranquilizers. He looked so surprised. I wonder if this is going to affect their relationship. It'll probably do and I'll hate it.

I also loved this little shot with Bobbie shielding Avasarala from those goons while Cotyar (blessed be Nick E. Tarabay) did precisely what he was hired to do.

tumblr_ooitgwyzqv1r30atgo1_500.gif

I'm really surprised that this show has not caught on like BSG as it's most similar to that show (conspiracy, politics and space shit) and it looks absolutely amazing.

This is the first space show since Stargate Universe was taken off and yet there is only middling interest. I do think that the cancellation of SG:Universe is what led to sci fi shows moving away from space opera for a while.
Space sci-fi is not very sexy without frequent battles and this is a show with so many warring factions and politics that it almost off putting for newer viewers. It's fantastic, but not really approachable.

As a side note, I had to do a double take watching the Battlefield II trailer because the protagonist looked so much like Dominique Tipper (Naomi) in this particular scene.

kH5epAY.gif

Crispy75

Just got caught up. Fuck me this show just keeps getting better. All three storylines full of drama and nuance, character progression and some really juicy plot moves. And a bunch of (totally realistic) kick-ass space combat to boot. Fantastic stuff. Who do I have to throw out of an airlock to make sure this never gets cancelled?

-
- Promo for next week's episode (please spoiler tag any discussion)

Wasn't that Adam Savage? (first on-screen spoken line).

EDIT:confirmed https://twitter.com/donttrythis/status/852589015341518848

pa22word

That preview is spoilery to a stupid degree.

Full
protomolecule creature
reveal. Wtf.

Haven't we seen him multiple times already including a full frontal 360 degree spinning close up on Avasarala's tablet? Hell he was bouncing around a ton last episode.

Also, I don't really see how it's a spoiler in the sense of the plot at all. Its existence has been the focus point of the entire back half of the season. It'd be like watching a WW2 show and complaining that they pictured a T34 tank in a preview shot.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Haven't we seen him multiple times already including a full frontal 360 degree spinning close up on Avasarala's tablet? Hell he was bouncing around a ton last episode.

Also, I don't really see how it's a spoiler in the sense of the plot at all. Its existence has been the focus point of the entire back half of the season. It'd be like watching a WW2 show and complaining that they pictured a T34 tank in a preview shot.
We've never seen it in such detail. Also, the situation around it.

The finale is tomorrow - this season has flown by, even at 13 episodes. Does anyone have personal favorites and highlights from the season so far? Favorite moments, characters, lines, special effects, twists, etc..?

Crispy75

Amos "hanging" upside down in his mag boots with the stars turning in the background is something i don't think I've ever seen in a sci fi.

(Although i bet Babylon 5 did it at some point)

Backlogger

The finale is tomorrow - this season has flown by, even at 13 episodes. Does anyone have personal favorites and highlights from the season so far? Favorite moments, characters, lines, special effects, twists, etc..?

Anything with Thomas Jane. I still love the show, but man, him being around made a huge difference for me.

The episodes leading up to the demise of Eros were my favorite. Also, everything they are setting up with Bobby and where her character is going.

I mean, Miller finally meeting Julie Mao has to be one of the best sci fi moments, any show, period. That was beautiful and brought me to tears, a guy who pretty much never cries.

Beyond that I loved a lot of the little stuff that just adds to the world building, like Alex sling-shotting around Jupiter's moons, "Is Fred Johnson gonna haveta space a bitch?" (yes), Drummer executing two OPA as she strolls off to medbay with a gut shot, when the OPA guy spaced dozens of Earther and Mars for revenge was startling and horrific, and basically anytime Anderson Dawes or Avasarala talk is completely mesmerizing.

I feel at times its literally a crime so many people watch The Walking Dead and so few watch this.

Belter stuff has been my standout. From the young dude following Miller, Dawes' speeches , and the scene to form lines last ep. Showing that near nihilistic existence by belters has been the best world building in a sci-do show in a while.

DevilDog

Anything Amos does is incredible.

12th episode was just, incredible, the sacrifice of the belters :( The politics. Just great.

Anything with Miller except from that episode. S02E05 was the only bad episode in 2 seasons.

Overall, great job, I feel like they're setting industry standards here.

Dizzy-4U

That preview is spoilery to a stupid degree.

Full
protomolecule creature
reveal. Wtf.
I follow
Elias Toufexis
on twitter. He spoiled it for me like a week ago :(

I've been out of town for the last couple of weeks and I couldn't watch the latest episodes. I won't be home until sunday, it's killing me inside.

Chumley

Banned
So I'm trying to get into this show, got halfway through Ep. 2 of S1 and was just totally bored. Doesn't seem particularly inspired or original, though I love the atmosphere and Thomas Jane's character seems kind of cool in a Deckard kind of way.

Does it pick up or get more interesting?

DevilDog

So I'm trying to get into this show, got halfway through Ep. 2 of S1 and was just totally bored. Doesn't seem particularly inspired or original, though I love the atmosphere and Thomas Jane's character seems kind of cool in a Deckard kind of way.

Does it pick up or get more interesting?

Yeah, first few episodes are a bit slow and cookie cutter space sci-fi, then shit starts progressively hitting the fan.

Then S2 is just absolutely nothing like the start of S1.

Chumley

Banned
Yeah, first few episodes are a bit slow and cookie cutter space sci-fi, then shit starts progressively hitting the fan.

Then S2 is just absolutely nothing like the start of S1.

That's good to hear, I'll stick with it in that case. The first ep and a half did seem like straight up run of the mill sci-fi only with awesome production values.

Carn82

Big part of S1, just like most of the first book, is mostly scene setting, introducing characters, etc. I think they handled it pretty well actually.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

tumblr_ood03ciNQF1s8kqx5o3_250.gif
tumblr_ood03ciNQF1s8kqx5o4_250.gif

tumblr_ood03ciNQF1s8kqx5o1_250.gif
tumblr_ood03ciNQF1s8kqx5o2_250.gif

Anything with Amos and Avasarala is fantastic. Miller and his younger "friend" also had some good scenes, so did Drummer. As for CGI/space stuff, my favourite scenes have to be Eros hurling out of the Naboo's way, the slingshot maneuver and that crazy sequence with the dropships.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Holden has pretty much been my least favourite of the main characters on the show, but his gigantic brass balls in facing down a fleet of ships in the last episode did have a fantastic speech to go with it.

Season finale tonight:
Caliban's War

The relief of the Roci's narrow escape is shattered by an unexpected enemy and the crew is forced to fight to save the ship. Avasarala is trapped by enemies and far from help, Bobbie Draper her only chance to survive.

SURGEdude

This show has really gotten better. The first few episodes were bland, but the rest of S1 was solid. Season 2 started at about the same level until mid-way through where the quality really seemed ramped up.

Has there been some kind of shake-up with the writers or something? The last few episodes have been really really fucking good in a way that almost makes it feel like a totally different show at times.

Has there been some kind of shake-up with the writers or something? The last few episodes have been really really fucking good in a way that almost makes it feel like a totally different show at times.
The writers room has been pretty stable, afaik. It just takes some shows a while to find their feet.

Kin5290

Please don't tell me this is the last time we see
Cotyar
Well, if we follow the books, then (spoilers for Caliban's War)
yes, if only because he is left behind to secure the yacht while Bobbie and Avarsala take a 2-passenger super light pinnacle in order to rendezvous with a certain rogue corvette. Of course, Cotyar's character had been significantly expanded in the show so who knows.

Don't jump the gun Holden. You don't even know what it can do yet.

That first person shot.

Just you and me now buddy...

Edit: Oh nice. Can't wait for more Dark Matter.

ROFL!
"Just rough me up a little, so they don't think..."

"That came out wrong." lol

Nice words Amos.
It's nice not having to worry about if I'm on the right team.

Amos just had to get in one more hit on that leg lol.

Once Adam Savage's youtube channel uploaded a behind the scenes production video of him getting 3d scanned I knew that wasn't gonna end well.

Top Bottom